Commentary on Plant Says NO to Zep Reunion

SteveAJones

Only someone who has seen them could write that and believe it! Bottom line there are many of us who have loved them for yrs, and never got the chance. There is NO WAY to tarnish the image, period!!!! I am not asking for a world tour, do a couple shows not 50 not 100. Maybe 10? I will never give up hope of seeing them! I never saw them because I was only twelve when Bonzo died. There are so many of us out here who grew up on their music, even thought they werent even together anymore. i graduated high school in 1987, guess who was voted favorite band in the yr book.... LED ZEPPELIN!!!!! They hadnt even been together for 7 yrs at that point!!!! i happened to look at a yr book from the class of 1990 from my high school, guess who was voted favorite band?.....LED ZEPPELIN!!!! Bottom line most people who got to see the 02 show were not your average Zep fan, and your in a fantasy world if you believe they were. You had to have and spend a lot of money to go to that show, and thats why i think they should do at least a few more shows. how could I a middle class working guy, take time off(without pay), pay somewhere around at least 2grand for a ticket, then pay for a flight them pay for a hotel room, and meals and whatever misc. stuff, and not go bankrupt? or be financially starined bigtime? Could not be done.

And therin lies the rub. Even if Zeppelin played 10 shows (say 5 in USA, 5 rest of the world) each and every one would still be massively oversubscribed. The only way of every Zeppelin fan of getting a realistic chance of seeing them is a world tour, and that ain't gonna happen. The best you can hope for, IMO, is the odd one-off - although I wouldn't hold your breath.

I honestly have no idea how many times Robert has got to say there'll be no Zeppelin tour before people will believe him. Until another member dies probably...

And therin lies the rub. Even if Zeppelin played 10 shows (say 5 in USA, 5 rest of the world) each and every one would still be massively oversubscribed. The only way of every Zeppelin fan of getting a realistic chance of seeing them is a world tour, and that ain't gonna happen. The best you can hope for, IMO, is the odd one-off - although I wouldn't hold your breath.

I honestly have no idea how many times Robert has got to say there'll be no Zeppelin tour before people will believe him. Until another member dies probably...

If they had just called it quits on their own terms, I would say it is what it is, but they stopped because Bonzo died. I think they have something left and I also think that the world needs them in that todays music is mostly garbage thrown together to make a buck! I here ya on "the rub" (what does that mean?) its a tough situation, I would never expect any of them to do it for money, they have much too much respect for the music. If they sucked at the 02, then thats one thing, but they rocked, I have the third eye DVD and I watch it every night, at least a couple of songs, it never leaves the player. If they at least released a professionally done show, I could probably live with that. that show blows away both P&P shows I saw and Plant live I've seen twice also, no comparison.

There are two sides to this debate, and what Plant has said, I have seen Zeppelin back in the seventies, and I count myself lucky, and yes it would be just amazing to see them tour again, but, the other side, of the story is Robert does not want to do it, he has done it, and moved on, I do feel sorry, for all the people who want to see them doing a tour, but, really his wishes, should be respected, a case of been there, done that, and him wanting to do something different, fresher and lighter. I certainly would not stop buying his music, because he decided this.

All of Robert s solo music with the exception of Rising Sand, has been just brillant, and I hope he will continue to bring out newer things.

In regards to the Rolling Stones comments in that article... I liked the Rolling STones before I saw them live...

After seeing them live I loved the Rolling Stones... at their age they put todays music to shame even if its not when they were int he prime... its still ROCK N ROLL at its finest.

The same could probably be said for Led Zeppelin, I ll still like them, but I will hope ill still one day get to see them...

Please Plant!

Robert is the only one how has shown musical development.

Bullshit!

Absolute bullshit...

If you want to talk about musical development, have a listen to JPJ's solo album Zooma and Thunderthief...

BBC Music reviewer Chris Jones:

"Mr Jones has proven in the space of forty five minutes that, while his remaining band mates seem happier to rest on their blues rock laurels, he's been forging music which stretches the imagination to a far greater degree."

Frankly, I have to say this, but I'm sick of people whinging about poor Robert this and poor Robert that. I thought this was a Led Zeppelin board, not a Robert Plant forum. Robert wasn't the only member of Zep (just in case some of you hadn't noticed...) Jimmy and JPJ just happened to be very crucial members, and I'm sticking up for Messers Page and Jones, because they are two thirds of the band now, and fair enough Led Zep don't owe the public or the fans anything, they don't have to tour just for our benefit, but Page and Jones obviously would love to do the tour and are all for it, but ol' Planty's off on a tanty (I just stuck that in to rhyme, don't bitch at me). He's had a solo career now longer than he was a member of Zeppelin, and now I think it's time to do the nice thing, which is get back with the boys. And David Gilmour I send you the same message, just get over whatever it is, just deal with it and do it.

I mean can you imagine what it would've been like if John Lennon had still been alive, and he and Paul and Ringo wanted to get back for a tour but George Harrison was moping about saying no? I mean you would've given him a swift kick up the arse and said "stop being a bitch get out there".

I thought this was a Led Zeppelin board, not a Robert Plant forum. Robert wasn't the only member of Zep (just in case some of you hadn't noticed...)

When Jimmy returns to the guitar all the anti-Robert hysteria will evaporate overnight.

I mean can you imagine what it would've been like if John Lennon had still been alive, and he and Paul and Ringo wanted to get back for a tour but George Harrison was moping about saying no? I mean you would've given him a swift kick up the arse and said "stop being a bitch get out there".

What's the point in that though. There are two types of reunions:

1. There's big bucks to be made in nostalgia from premium acts.

2. Because all members feel the time is right and are up for it.

I would hate Zeppelin to do this for the wrong reasons. Robert obviously doesn't want to do a tour and there is no onus on him to do one as the default state of the band is that it no longer exists. Yes there are millions of fans worldwide who'd like to see them and who never got a chance - but then they got into Zeppelin in the knowledge that the band split in 1980. Just because you want something doesn't mean you should get it...

What's the point in that though. There are two types of reunions:

1. There's big bucks to be made in nostalgia from premium acts.

2. Because all members feel the time is right and are up for it.

I would hate Zeppelin to do this for the wrong reasons. Robert obviously doesn't want to do a tour and there is no onus on him to do one as the default state of the band is that it no longer exists. Yes there are millions of fans worldwide who'd like to see them and who never got a chance - but then they got into Zeppelin in the knowledge that the band split in 1980. Just because you want something doesn't mean you should get it...

Yeah but from all reports it was a pretty top-level show at the O2, so if they did tour it wouldn't be embarrassing, we wouldn't be looking at them going "Christ, what are these old fogeys doing up there for..." There's every reason to believe from their last outing that they would put in a very solid performance on tour. It's not going to be like it was in 1970, but it's probably not going to be that bad either...

The thing is, now is the time. They're all around about 60 now, and its a good time for them to get up there and do it, the last hurrah, because we're not going to want to see them up there at 70 or 75 stumbling about. The timing is right. The world is ready for Zeppelin again, everybody's fallen in love with the band again and 70's rock, Plant, Page and JPJ are all in top form, you know, strike while the iron's hot.

The thing is, now is the time. They're all around about 60 now, and its a good time for them to get up there and do it, the last hurrah, because we're not going to want to see them up there at 70 or 75 stumbling about. The timing is right. The world is ready for Zeppelin again, everybody's fallen in love with the band again and 70's rock, Plant, Page and JPJ are all in top form, you know, strike while the iron's hot.

I don't deny this at all - I've been thinking for a few years that if they do anything it'd better be fairly soon, but while the world may be ready for Zeppelin, it sounds like Robert isn't. And no matter how much it may hurt - and it will for many people - you have to respect that decision. The man is more than entitled to say 'no'.

I don't deny this at all - I've been thinking for a few years that if they do anything it'd better be fairly soon, but while the world may be ready for Zeppelin, it sounds like Robert isn't. And no matter how much it may hurt - and it will for many people - you have to respect that decision. The man is more than entitled to say 'no'.

I think Robert just needs to get over himself personally

No offense, Robert :D

Considering the positive reaction to the O2 show, the obvious demand for a Zepp tour from rabid fans, the desires of his bandmates (w/o whom he would be of much less importance to rock history) to take it on the road, I think Robert is being a TOTALLY SELFISH WANK. I mean, for god's sake, They/he could take all the money and fund several charities forever. Talk about a lasting legacy. With all due respect, I love Led Zeppelin, and the thought of seeing them perform live gives me goosebumps/anticipatory tears/adrenaline rushes, etc., But I really have to question Robert's commitments to his fans, both from the Zepp days through his solo career, if he is really going to blow us all off like this. Give me a break, He has the successful solo career he has because of Led Zeppelin. Not to say that he might not have generated himself a nice little solo career on his own, but not like he has enjoyed. Those of us who have enjoyed all facets of his career have always viewed him through the prism of Led Zepp, and it is a royal bummer that he is unwilling to shine a little of that light back our direction. Just my opinion. IF THIS IS TRUE, AND SOMEHOW YOU READ THIS ROBERT, PLEASE RECONSIDER. I'm sure I speak for a great many when I say, it would mean a great deal to us... (and, uh, sorry about the wank comment)

I don't think them playing will tarnish their image. You know, they had a good thing going, and then Bonzo died. Like many people have said, the music world needs them right now. To show what it is like to have a real rock and roll band just get up there and get after it. To show how it used to be. Bands like the Foo Fighters are great, but I think we need Led Zeppelin to show all of these people that it's not about how cool you look or how angry you are that makes good rock and roll. It's how well you play, and how well you put that anger and feeling into your music. Anybody can just go out there and scream. It's a lot harder to put that into the music, rather than having it lay on top of it like a wet blanket. It's almost a shame, because we've seen bands like AC/DC and Genesis replace lead singers and not lose their credibility. But then again, on the other hand, you've got to hand it to the band to call it quits when Bonzo died. That took guts.

But, if Robert doesn't want to do it, he doesn't want to. I'm not going to throw a fit about it. And I ain't got a problem with Page and the rest of the gang getting a singer and going out there and doing something. Even recording a new album. Just as long as it's not called Led Zeppelin. I want to see Jimmy Page back up there playing again. He's kinda been forgotten about because he hasn't been out playing. It's time for him to get back on stage and thrill an audience once again.

And I don't think Robert is being selfish. Nobody said Pink Floyd was selfish when they reunited for one show. Heck, they didn't do one full show as Zeppelin did. So are David Gilmour and Roger Waters selfish? Heck no. It is not worth it to see a band if they're not into it. If Robert didn't want to do it, then I wouldn't want him to do it.

It is times like these that you wish Page could sing good enough to do lead. Then he could have a solo career.

you know what...I am so done with wishing about the past and worrying about the future.

there was a time when having the music was enough, because thats all you had.

IF THIS IS TRUE, AND SOMEHOW YOU READ THIS ROBERT, PLEASE RECONSIDER. I'm sure I speak for a great many when I say, it would mean a great deal to us... (and, uh, sorry about the wank comment)

In the rather unlikely event of him reading your post I doubt he would have got far beyond 'TOTALLY SELFISH WANK'. :blink:

I'm glad their not going to go around on a golden oldies tour, although I'd love to hear what they could come up with in the studio. Time marches on. hope Robert and Allison come to upstate NY and Jimmy and Jonesy still have new music in them that they will share with the rest of us.

I'm still not convinced that this story is genuine, and all the people who are spraying their anger at Robert, Jimmy, Alison and the world, should consider whether this is a reliable source.......

As far as I'm concerned, this article is not the final word on a tour, even if it claims to be the final word on it. After the Plant/Krauss tour is done and R.P. takes a break I still think we could see/hear more Zep in 2009. My take on it is that if it does not happen in 2009 it never will, but hey, everyone changes their mind about some things sometimes. If it doesn't happen I'm not going to spazz out about it or hold a grudge. I'll check out their solo stuff. I know from personal experience already that holding a grudge can be bad for you, so please no more Allison bashing. At least Robert continues to release new material. Lets hear from the guitar player!! Last time I checked, he was pretty good!!

As far as I'm concerned, this article is not the final word on a tour, even if it claims to be the final word on it. After the Plant/Krauss tour is done and R.P. takes a break I still think we could see/hear more Zep in 2009. My take on it is that if it does not happen in 2009 it never will, but hey, everyone changes their mind about some things sometimes. If it doesn't happen I'm not going to spazz out about it or hold a grudge. I'll check out their solo stuff. I know from personal experience already that holding a grudge can be bad for you, so please no more Allison bashing. At least Robert continues to release new material. Lets hear from the guitar player!! Last time I checked, he was pretty good!!

Yeah, let's hear from him! C' mon, Pagey, we're ready.

Robert and Alison have barely gotten started on their tour. It is just starting to roll, with more dates opening up as others get sold out.

He is heavy into this tour and where he is at spiritually is with Alison Kraus. He is just not into Zep at the moment.

Let it run it's course and see what happens when it is done. He'll come around when he is good and ready, and not before.

And, if he doesn't, well then, it will just suck to be us, won't it

We all want to see them like they was, but it´s over. There are too many bad examples ( Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Van Halen etc.)

Truthfully I did not get to see them in the 70's, all i have is vids and the movie TSRTS. Lets be honest here, if they were to tour and when I go to the concert I'm not going to delude myself and expect to see the great Zeppelin like they were in the 70's. But still all in all it would be a dream come true just being in the same venue as they are. I can live with what live performances I have on tape,CD and PC. Would love to see them do all the numbers not done live before. Also want to see Jason get down on a little solo roll, but to expect the Zepp that once was is absolutely insane. And if they were to go at one of their classic live cuts (dazed n confused, sth, ocean, whole lotta love) I just close me eyes and see them nail them like never before, Keep your expectations in the today, but let your heart, soul and imagination drift back in time as you revel in their greatness

Archived