Commentary on Plant Says NO to Zep Reunion

SteveAJones

Sylvie Simmons: John Paul Jones recently produced Uncle Earl, a bluegrass band... maybe you and John could do a record together, because he seemed miffed when you did the album with Jimmy...

Plant: (Hesitantly) Well, you know...times change and people move on and some people don’t send Christmas cards for 50 years and then they want to know in the fifty-first year later what happened. You know. You‘ve got to keep it warm and love each other... a bit. And I think we all do now. I’ve faced myself recently, tried to anyway. And I‘ve realised that part of the whole thing is, I just keep going.

Robert Plant, Oct 2007

AMEN TO THAT

100% on the money...I never saw Zep but I don't feel like they owe me anything. I'm grateful for the great music and all the years I've enjoyed it. I won't feel like I'm missing anything if they don't tour

and if they do then more power to them

I 2nd that 1000fold it is what it is

Have a great night in Cardiff my friend! I'm still waiting for tix to go onsale in LA. I was told it was supposed to be Monday, but the Greek's website doesn't even list the date. Truth be told, I'm a little worried I may have missed out. :(

Cheers fella and I'll keep my fingers crossed you haven't missed out

I too am looking forward to seeing RP & AK in May and I certainly don't bare her any ill will but if his thoughts don't turn to LZ afterwards he'll be letting us all down (whether you think so or not! :hysterical: ).

Yes Robert has certainly let us all down ever since he joined that band called Led Zeppelin and brought joy to hundreds of millions of people the world over. What a selfish B*stard for actually daring to do something for himself. I'm officially outraged :D Hey come on people hasn't he earned the right for gods sake!!! Dont get me wrong I'd love to see Zeppelin tour but I fully respect his decision

We have to remind ourselves that this is a business .... and Mr. Plant is under contractual obligation to tour with Ms. Krauss and support the "Raising Sand" recording. When you are under contractual obligation, you do it ... otherwise, you will get sued. That is all that Mr. Plant is trying to tell the fans. Let's not be too hard on Mr. Plant. He cannot back down from a contract that he already signed. I do believe that Led Zeppelin will reunite and give us one phenomenal show or shows ... the appropriate time. They are always innovative and like to do new things that are out of the ordinary.

Yeah, it's a bitch letting down a quarter billion people, but who gets left out? You can't please a tenth of the planet. So why should I be chosen, or my city? Or yours? Someone's gonna be pissed. Someone's gonna be left out. It's inevitable. Maybe there should be a test! :lol:

*Sarcasm Alert*

Thank god you are back.

Yeah, it's a bitch letting down a quarter billion people, but who gets left out? You can't please a tenth of the planet. So why should I be chosen, or my city? Or yours? Someone's gonna be pissed. Someone's gonna be left out. It's inevitable. Maybe there should be a test! :lol:

*Sarcasm Alert*

You raised an interesting point about who should be priveleged enough to see them.

What criteria would be used for the "test"?

Years following the band

How many Zep concerts they have already been to (or not)

Venues available

What are your thoughts on other possibilities.

a test? u can favor some people over others, that's discrimination and won't go over very well.

IF it happens, it'll be luck as to who gets tickets.

This is purely hypothetical and not to be taken serious, however some opinions given in this and other threads indicate that some people think others are "not worthy".

As for discrimination it's an unfortunate reality and happens everywhere, including though not limited to, the music industry, i.e. free admission for "celebrities" etc.

This is purely hypothetical and not to be taken serious, however some opinions given in this and other threads indicate that some people think others are "not worthy".

As for discrimination it's an unfortunate reality and happens everywhere, including though not limited to, the music industry, i.e. free admission for "celebrities" etc.

I'm not worthy. I thought they might suck. I was wrong.

I don't understand why ANYBODY is commenting on this topic, period.

Isn't all the information on the issue coming from a British tabloid that's less than fully-reputable? Even if not, there's nothing that I've seen either on the internet (or in the media in general) which would definitively decide the issue.

Until it's reported on either Robert Plant's homepage or LZ's own, I won't believe anything I hear, even if it comes from supposed interviews of the band members. I need fully-official confirmation, unlike so many others, apparently.

-A TRUE Zeppelin Fan, Through & Through

if it is accurate, so what?

how old was he when they started zepp, how old when JB died?

how old is he now?

let the guy leave it as he wants.

it could be a decoy to let things settle down, which would only build momentum again for a latter date... or it could be the very end for now.

imagine his choice, reviving the giant commercial led zeppelin machine and having to live through the circus a world tour would generate or to perform with a new found friend and to continue to explore what his fancy leads him to. unlike most of 'us' he seems to have complete financial security for himself and his heirs. congrats to RP.

I'm only speaking for myself.

Come on Fenix I'm talking about what he should do in the furure not what he's done in the past.

His argument about not living in the past don't hold water when he LZ songs make up a big part of his set. He's also on record saying he didn't like playing big halls with P&P but he doesn't have the same problem with AK. They also more than adequately proved at the O2 that the old magic is still there.

I just don't think that him devoting 6 to 9 months to a world tour that will make so many people happy is to much to ask.

a test? u can favor some people over others, that's discrimination and won't go over very well.

IF it happens, it'll be luck as to who gets tickets.

um...Ev, I think, was being sarcastic with the whole "test" thing. What first tipped me off was the "sarcasm alert" on the post.

:blink:

Well after listening to the new Plant/Krauss album I can see why he's currently saying no to Zeppelin. Because the album is enjoying quite a bit of success/plaudits and Robert's highest chart position since Led Zep, he's obviously feeling like he's embarking on a particular stage in his solo career (perhaps the pinacle of it) and wants to see where it takes him. The fact that he's receiving a lot of recognition and sales for this album means he probably doesn't want to go back to being 'absorbed' by Zeppelin.

I'm only speaking for myself.

Come on Fenix I'm talking about what he should do in the furure not what he's done in the past.

His argument about not living in the past don't hold water when he LZ songs make up a big part of his set. He's also on record saying he didn't like playing big halls with P&P but he doesn't have the same problem with AK. They also more than adequately proved at the O2 that the old magic is still there.

I just don't think that him devoting 6 to 9 months to a world tour that will make so many people happy is to much to ask.

Wasn't having a go fella i can understand your frustration all I'm saying is I think Robert has earned the right to do whatever he likes at this time in his life. He always said the O2 concert would be a one off and I guess he was telling the truth. You have to respect him for that.

As you probably know, Robert is on tour with Allison Krause, I think ending in Sep/Oct? He also taped a Crossroads TV Concert (for CMT in USA) and towards the end of the show, they jumped to an interview session with Robert & Allison and as the camera pulled away after the last bit, Robert looked into the camera and pointed and said 'the second coming........coming soon' (or something like that). So, who knows?

Just remember this Mr. Plant, no matter how badly you want to be as you were with Led Zep (Jimmy) while out on your own or 'exploring' new ideas, you have never reached, nor will reach that status (Led Zep), as a solo artist. Simply look at your career from 1980 to 1994 (back with Page in 1994-1998) and then from 1998 on.....sure singing Everly Bros tunes with Allison is cool, but ya ain't really Little Robert Anthony without the guitar guy, it's that simple..............It's like Keith saying he wants to explore new 'ideas' without Mick - anybody remember the Expensive Winos? You got into the R&R Hall Of Fame because of Led Zep, not Allison Krause or the Honeydrippers. You are, and always will be Robert Plant of Led Zep, no matter how badly you don't want to be any more...............we'll see ya on tour, I'll be the guy in the front row!!!!

As you probably know, Robert is on tour with Allison Krause, I think ending in Sep/Oct? He also taped a Crossroads TV Concert (for CMT in USA) and towards the end of the show, they jumped to an interview session with Robert & Allison and as the camera pulled away after the last bit, Robert looked into the camera and pointed and said 'the second coming........coming soon' (or something like that). So, who knows?

Just remember this Mr. Plant, no matter how badly you want to be as you were with Led Zep (Jimmy) while out on your own or 'exploring' new ideas, you have never reached, nor will reach that status (Led Zep), as a solo artist. Simply look at your career from 1980 to 1994 (back with Page in 1994-1998) and then from 1998 on.....sure singing Everly Bros tunes with Allison is cool, but ya ain't really Little Robert Anthony without the guitar guy, it's that simple..............It's like Keith saying he wants to explore new 'ideas' without Mick - anybody remember the Expensive Winos? You got into the R&R Hall Of Fame because of Led Zep, not Allison Krause or the Honeydrippers. You are, and always will be Robert Plant of Led Zep, no matter how badly you don't want to be any more...............we'll see ya on tour, I'll be the guy in the front row!!!!

With all due respect do you really think that bothers him? He has been there and done that, he has nothing to prove in my book. If you really think he craves fame that much don't you think he would have done the Zeppelin thing years ago? Ah well I guess the old adage it true you can't please everyone all of the time no matter what you do.

If they toured, however, I would go and I know a lot of other people who want to see them too. But you have to realise that this time last year, no-one thought we would ever see Led Zeppelin live ever again. Because we got something we didn't even realise we could have, we now have a taste for it and want more....

Correct - I/we had resigned myself/ourselves that that to see Led Zeppelin was just something that would never appear on my concert resume.. then the O2 show... and we are all given hope.. those of us who were to young to see them just may have a chance.. so really we are in the same place as we were a year ago... with just one night of magic thrown in the middle.. don't get me wrong... if a tour is announced tomorrow I'll be the first one with my visa card out.. but maybe we just have to wait for this Allison thing to play its way out.. which I hope is quickly... (personally I don't like the album, I think it's kind of sad)... It appears to be very important to Mr. Plant so I guess we should respect that and hope for the best...

Archived