The Grammar Police

PJ Slocum

Yeah , there's that one, and also using "There is" for "there are." As in, "There's people in here usin' bad grammar." It's become so common that newsanchors are doing it. And for some reason, I occasionally slip and do it, though I didn't before! I hear it so much that I slip and do it myself. :(

What about would of instead of would have etc.?

The use of, of for have irritates the crap out of me

If you're goint to take the time to post a comment, at least get it write, rite, right?

Where's that damned spell and grammar tool?

What about would of instead of would have etc.?

The use of, of for have irritates the crap out of me

If you're goint to take the time to post a comment, at least get it write, rite, right?

Where's that damned spell and grammar tool?

We need you Aussies and Brits to remind us, sometimes, I think. :) It's getting worse and worse, until it's hard to tell what the hell anyone's writing, or even SAYING anymore. I am getting lazy myself. My daughter corrects me regularly.

-- people who don't know the difference between to/too/two

-- people who don't know the difference between you're/your

-- people who don't know the difference between their/there/they're

-- people who abbreviate words that don't need abbreviating, like "are", "because", "you", "between" and "tomorrow"

-- people who spell words wrong that they have no business misspelling

-- people who can't capitalize words in their sentences properly, or use proper punctuation

I could keep going, but I'd take up a lot of bandwith. Let's face it, English as a written language in this country, especially on the internet, is no longer a priority.

I can't stand it when people use apostrophes for plural words. "Thousands of Cd's at Knock-down prices!"

Oh my god, you are right. That shit is everywhere. Even my kid's teachers have done all of the above in this thread. By god, what's the world comin' to? Why I oughtta :rant:

Oh my god, you are right. That shit is everywhere. Even my kid's teachers have done all of the above in this thread. By god, what's the world comin' to? Why I oughtta :rant:

p.s. I have one kid :lol:

We need you Aussies and Brits to remind us, sometimes, I think. :) It's getting worse and worse, until it's hard to tell what the hell anyone's writing, or even SAYING anymore. I am getting lazy myself. My daughter corrects me regularly.

I think it is happening everywhere.

Until recently kids here were taught to spell phonetically, so that was a backward step.

I would've preferred if they had encouraged the kids to read the dictionary.

Learn to read, comprehend and spell at the same time, what a concept!

How in the hell can anyone be expected to learn grammar etcetera if they can't spell the words in the first place.

School's Out.

I think it is happening everywhere.

Until recently kids here were taught to spell phonetically, so that was a backward step.

I would've preferred if they had encouraged the kids to read the dictionary.

Learn to read, comprehend and spell at the same time, what a concept!

How in the hell can anyone be expected to learn grammar etcetera if they can't spell the words in the first place.

School's Out.

Education does seem to be somewhat of a lost art. God forbid anyone tell the little brats they are doing something wrong!

I know Babs. You want me to write you another song dont you? :P

I've done a bit of looking around and the way you hound "babs" is disturbing.

I think you may be mentally unbalanced, and not too bright.

If you have nothing to contribute please contribute nothing somewhere else.

Thank you

so what bothers you?

no, so what is my middle name

i'm bothered by people i don't care about telling me what bothers them. and useless information in general. if i had two cents for everything polluting my mind and space that i don't give two cents about i would fill a giant bag to hit people who put it there with. i'd have enough left over pay off the lawsuits i'd get slapped with for doing it on top of it.

grammar? i don't really care. other than maybe too many uses of the letter i in a paragraph. or even worse, the phrase me and you used in a sentence. it's supposed to be you and i. but that's not what bothers me about it.

If you don't give a shit, why did you post to say that you don't give a shit? Doesn't that imply that you do indeed, give a shit?

And I'm so terribly sorry you're bothered by all us folks you don't care about. Apologies for taking up your time.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that this is the "Grammar Police" thread and not the "Grammer Police" one. :)

And yeah I know that's spelling not grammar. And that you're not supposed to start a sentence with "and". :bagoverhead:

so what bothers you?

no, so what is my middle name

i'm bothered by people i don't care about telling me what bothers them. and useless information in general. if i had two cents for everything polluting my mind and space that i don't give two cents about i would fill a giant bag to hit people who put it there with. i'd have enough left over pay off the lawsuits i'd get slapped with for doing it on top of it.

grammar? i don't really care. other than maybe too many uses of the letter i in a paragraph. or even worse, the phrase me and you used in a sentence. it's supposed to be you and i. but that's not what bothers me about it.

I tried to read this post but then I thought - i'm bothered by people i don't care about telling me what bothers them. So I stopped reading.

By the way, I don't think that its incorrect to begin a sentence with 'and,' it's just not preferred.

It's bad style is what I've been told. :(

But I likes it nevertheless! :D

Which reminds me, can someone please tell me the difference between its and it's?

it's = short for "it is" or "it has"

its = possessive pronoun (like "his", "her" etc.), meaning "of it" or "belonging to it" (e.g. "the tree is shedding all its leaves")

Archived