The Grammar Police

PJ Slocum

A pet peeve of mine is people using your instead of you're and vice versa. Not that I call them on it but it is kind of irritating.

so what bothers you?

Lots of things. People mixing up "to" and "too". Eg, that is to bad you were sick today. Ugh!

Mixing up "their" and "there". Eg, that was there era of music, and this is ours now. Ugh!

No apostraphes. Is it really hard to put some in? Eg, Im not going because I cant. Ugh!

Stupid slang. Eg, ain't, (with or without apostraphes), gonna, outta, gee etc. Ugh!

Really long posts with huge paragraphs. I especially hate this. I find large block posts tiring to read. And even worse, posts with tiny font size. Ain't that a bitch?

What else? Long sentences with no commas. No capital letters for proper nouns or the beginning of sentences because people are too lazy to press the shift button, (notice the correct application of "too" and "to"?). Bet you didn't see that coming. Notice I didn't write, "betcha ya didnt see that coming?"

And my number one pet hate? The incorrect use of "virtually" and "literally". It shits me to tears, (hey, I never said anything against swearing-under the right circumstances, it can enhance the feeling of a post).

Eg, when some dumbass weatherman, (oh yeah, I also hate the confusion of "weather" and "whether") say, "well gee folks, it was a wet one today, as it literally rained cats and dogs".

No it didn't actually rain canines and felines from the sky. Everybody confuses those two. Notice this "two" is not the same as "too" or "to". But I digress.

Literally means something actually is. Led Zeppelin is literally a legendary rock band. Water is literally odourless. Virtually means something is like something, usually an exaggerated phrase for effect. So Led Zeppelin are virtually rock gods. They are not supernatural beings who created the heavens and the universe. Heavy rain "virtually" rains cats and dogs. Not bloody literally. Double ugh!!

so summing up. i am gonna go nuts at those people wholl right heaps of stuff and not use proper english. dont argue or im gonna getcha. i am literally the grim reaper and the wolfman to, so im gonna run an chase u down brother. youll know who i am when i cum to ya. today im here an tomorow im over their. oh yeah u know who i am

It took me ages to figure out how to post pictures (I'm talking months). I see you've already asked in another thread, but if you're having any difficulty with it, let me know ;) .

By the way, I don't think that its incorrect to begin a sentence with 'and,' it's just not preferred.

Which reminds me, can someone please tell me the difference between its and it's?

Yeah I'm having trouble with posting pictures.

I get annoyed with the phrase Led Zepp - to me Led Zep is much more balanced and nice. Not that Zepp is wrong I suppose, just a personal preference

How about when Zeppelin is spelt Zepplin?

Yeah I'm having trouble with posting pictures.

Pictures aren't hard. Firstly, select a picture on the net. Copy the url of that picture, not the actual picture itself.

Next, click to reply to a post. When you click onto post a reply, with or without a quote, you will see a series of boxes at the top, that starts off with, "b i u........" Click on the 6th box, directly under the "fonts" drop down menu box.

You may have your computer, like mine, configured not to allow pop ups. A box will appear saying that pop up has been blocked. Click on it to temporarily allow popups.

When you allow the popups, a long skinny box appears that starts off with "http". That "http" is highlighted in blue. Press the backspace button and delete that. Paste the whole url of the picture into that box. It needs to begin with http.

Then press okay.

In your post box, you will see the image in a url format, eg, [img...........] Press preview post to check your picture will be displayed.

And there you have it.

Pictures aren't hard. Firstly, select a picture on the net. Copy the url of that picture, not the actual picture itself.

Next, click to reply to a post. When you click onto post a reply, with or without a quote, you will see a series of boxes at the top, that starts off with, "b i u........" Click on the 6th box, directly under the "fonts" drop down menu box.

You may have your computer, like mine, configured not to allow pop ups. A box will appear saying that pop up has been blocked. Click on it to temporarily allow popups.

When you allow the popups, a long skinny box appears that starts off with "http". That "http" is highlighted in blue. Press the backspace button and delete that. Paste the whole url of the picture into that box. It needs to begin with http.

Then press okay.

In your post box, you will see the image in a url format, eg, [img...........] Press preview post to check your picture will be displayed.

And there you have it.

Thanks mate.

I'll see how it goes.

-- people who don't know the difference between to/too/two

-- people who don't know the difference between you're/your

-- people who don't know the difference between their/there/they're

-- people who abbreviate words that don't need abbreviating, like "are", "because", "you", "between" and "tomorrow"

-- people who spell words wrong that they have no business misspelling

-- people who can't capitalize words in their sentences properly, or use proper punctuation

I could keep going, but I'd take up a lot of bandwith. Let's face it, English as a written language in this country, especially on the internet, is no longer a priority.

If you weren't a girl, Electrophile, I'd think I had found my soulmate! :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above. I also have a particular irritation with misused apostrophes (covered elsewhere in this thread). It depresses me to see newspapers, magazines and even books with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors in them. Being the saddo linguistic pedant that I am, I have taken to reading with a red pen in one hand, circling and correcting the errors!

I don't use spell check or grammar check, as I see plenty of examples where people have relied on them, only to have the wrong "their/there" or "where/were/wear" screaming at me from the page.

Oh, and whilst a more informal style of writing may render this inappropriate, I was taught at school: "And, but, because and so - in front of a sentence must not go"!

*wanders off to look for red pen*

A pet peeve of mine is people using your instead of you're and vice versa. Not that I call them on it but it is kind of irritating.

so what bothers you?

As long as the post is understandable, nothing bothers me too much. There are a few things that niggle at me like your/you're + they're/there, but I'm not massively bothered by it, as long as I can get the basic gist (now, there might be a spelling mistake...do you spell that with a G or a J?) of the post, I'm not really arsed.

however if a post looks something like this without any punctuation or anything it drives me up the wall especially when there are questions in it dont you think i cant bear to even read past the first line of posts like these

ANOTHER ONE IS WHEN PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE SOME ATTATCHMENT TO CAPS LOCK!

...a combination of the two is unbearable. :wacko:

It's gist, no jest. :)

Ah, I coulda got away with it after all! :P

Haha...

Does "coulda" count as an unnecessary abbreviation? I'd better stay away from Electrophile... :shifty:

I am massively guilty of using 'cos or 'cause, though. But mainly just because I type how I would talk most of the time, and most of the time I just don't say "because".

I honestly don't notice/pay attention to spelling or grammar errors on message boards or in email from friends/family.

I will notice errors made by businesses, but I generally don't worry about them either unless it was my error :unsure:

Conversationally, 2 things that make me cringe are the word "ain't", and "nuke-yuh-ler" instead of "nuke-lee-er".

Here's an extreme example of "apostrophe abuse".

I was so appalled by this that I was prompted to take a photo of it!

DSCN1000.jpg

Edited because I made a mess of adding the photo!

Makes a lot of sense actually - if "can't" and "won't" are right then surely there should be an apostrophe between every "n" and "t" at the end of a word. Don't know what your ran't is all about! :D

As long as I can understand what is conveyed on the board, I don't worry much about punctuation or grammar. Like viginia said if it were for business purposes or literary reading it might bother me. Now decimal points, that i'm concerned with $ 000.00 :lol:

As long as I can understand what is conveyed on the board, I don't worry much about punctuation or grammar. Like viginia said if it were for business purposes or literary reading it might bother me. Now decimal points, that i'm concerned with $ 000.00 :lol:

That reminded me of something funny/weird. We live in a small community, and have a small public library. A couple of times I've checked out books, and noticed that another patron has made grammatical/editorial corrections in the margin of the books in pencil :blink: I've seen it in more than one book (all mystery books); it has to be the same person. That's taking it to the extreme...

Since I was in like fourth grade, people who do not know how to use apostrophes drive me fucking crazy!

My stepdad posted a note on our door when I was in 4th grade after my mom had the carpets cleaned. It said this:

"Please take off you're shoe's. The carpet's have just been cleaned."

:wacko:

I remember making fun of him!

I guess I found my calling, eh? (Not making fun of him--teaching people how to use the apostrophe correctly, LOL.

had to edit because I spelled something wrong, LOL

and Lilith--I didn't see your post until AFTER I edited this the first time!

That reminded me of something funny/weird. We live in a small community, and have a small public library. A couple of times I've checked out books, and noticed that another patron has made grammatical/editorial corrections in the margin of the books in pencil :blink: I've seen it in more than one book (all mystery books); it has to be the same person. That's taking it to the extreme...

I remember when I was prepairing to take the CDL driving test, the booklet I was handed had been marked with the correct answers except for one. I know because I aced the test. Since then the tests end at the point one reaches a passing score.

I don't like this, why would I want a score of 80 when I can achieve a 100?

It's all part of the dumbing down of our society. :angry:

I remember when I was prepairing to take the CDL driving test, the booklet I was handed had been marked with the correct answers except for one. I know because I aced the test. Since then the tests end at the point one reaches a passing score.

I don't like this, why would I want a score of 80 when I can achieve a 100?

It's all part of the dumbing down of our society. :angry:

Wow, that's bad.

Makes a lot of sense actually - if "can't" and "won't" are right then surely there should be an apostrophe between every "n" and "t" at the end of a word. Don't know what your ran't is all about! :D

LOL

However, I'm sure most of you know this concept, but I thought it would be fun to post anyway.

An apostrophe is used to show possession of a specific noun, not necessarily a proper noun, but a noun that is specified, (something that belongs to Mandy is Mandy's; something belonging to the cat is the cat's), or to signify a contraction (can't = can +not without the extra "n" and "o").

Archived