The Grammar Police

PJ Slocum

LOL

However, I'm sure most of you know this concept, but I thought it would be fun to post anyway.

An apostrophe is used to show possession of a specific noun, not necessarily a proper noun, but a noun that is specified, (something that belongs to Mandy is Mandy's; something belonging to the cat is the cat's), or to signify a contraction (can't = can +not without the extra "n" and "o").

That's the complicated explanation. In fact it's safe to put an apostrophe in fron't of every 'S' at the end of word. In most case's that work's perfectly...and who care's about the rest.... :)

Here's an extreme example of "apostrophe abuse".

I was so appalled by this that I was prompted to take a photo of it!

DSCN1000.jpg

Edited because I made a mess of adding the photo!

Oh my days.

"Can not be burn not".

:rolleyes:

I remember when I was prepairing to take the CDL driving test, the booklet I was handed had been marked with the correct answers except for one. I know because I aced the test. Since then the tests end at the point one reaches a passing score.

I don't like this, why would I want a score of 80 when I can achieve a 100?

It's all part of the dumbing down of our society. :angry:

"Dumbing down" is right....that's pathetic.

The grammar error that bugs me the most is loose/lose, it seems everyone mixes those up even authors. I also cringe a little at the "baited breath" phrase, which The Grammar Police know should be "bated". I was pleased to see in another thread that SunChild got it correctly; she deserves a gold star. B)

My pet Peev is people who worry about my grammer.Get a life !!! I am not a journalist or Edgar Allen Poe even suck it up.Did you ever see Braveheart well this is the part were he turned around and raised his Kilt.Love you all just picking . :D:D:D:D:D

ssnfastattacknucsubaugustabaysicily.jpg

SICILY 88

onearmbandit.jpg

Villa France 90

Good grammar is a mark of an educated person.

If your first language is NOT English, I'll cut anyone some slack. If you're over 10 and your first language IS English--figure it out!

Bad grammar is just irritating. I don't mind "bad grammar" in speech, but in writing, it's beyond irritating. I'm not talking about using words that "don't belong in the standard dialect," I'm talking about things like using apostrophes to signal plurals and mix up of two/to/too; and their/there/there....those things make your crediblity as an intelligent person go down the crapper.

I'm not a prescriptivist, I swear! :P

"Dumbing down" is right....that's pathetic.

The grammar error that bugs me the most is loose/lose, it seems everyone mixes those up even authors. I also cringe a little at the "baited breath" phrase, which The Grammar Police know should be "bated". I was pleased to see in another thread that SunChild got it correctly; she deserves a gold star. B)

I have NEVER seen it written as "bated," so tell me the "WHY" of it.

I'm intrigued....

I have NEVER seen it written as "bated," so tell me the "WHY" of it.

I'm intrigued....

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm bored: The "bated" part of the phrase stems from the word "abate", which means to moderate or restrain.

Good grammar is a mark of an educated person.

If your first language is NOT English, I'll cut anyone some slack. If you're over 10 and your first language IS English--figure it out!

Bad grammar is just irritating. I don't mind "bad grammar" in speech, but in writing, it's beyond irritating. I'm not talking about using words that "don't belong in the standard dialect," I'm talking about things like using apostrophes to signal plurals and mix up of two/to/too; and their/there/there....those things make your crediblity as an intelligent person go down the crapper.

I'm not a prescriptivist, I swear! :P

YEAH! GO MANDERS! GO MANDERS! GO MANDERS! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

incorrect grammar in forums like this i can understand...i am always rushing thru typing responses, I got kids hanging on me, its hard you know, I dont have time. BUT, the mispronunciation of words in conversation drives me insane....or better yet, using a word inappropriately, or actually making up a word....good Lord, people can sound really dumb. and chances are, if you sound dumb..... :blink:

Tell me about it - a colleague of mine would say that something was "such a Shangri-La" when she meant to say that it was a disaster. :wacko:

thats just jessica simpson stupid

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm bored: The "bated" part of the phrase stems from the word "abate", which means to moderate or restrain.

No direspect intended but are you an English Teacher.I know my Grammar is far from perfect.I dont even have spell check working on this forum .Even at the peak of my limited Education i was never good in English.Pot was popular in 73 as was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy anyway that felt far more important at the time.Since Daddy quit paying the bills a year later it was off to work and not off to English Class but i have always done what i wanted and still paid the bill's and gave to my Kids and Grandkids with that meger education.I hope with all of the Grammer Police's superior Education when they reach 50 they can say the same.Have no fear though

there is no correction that can be done here that my Kids and Grandkids have not already tried to implement.My Education as it is came from the road which by the way can be a good and firm Teacher.I did Graduate High School and attended over 20 Technical Schools between my Navy Career and my last 13 years of Offshore Oil Production Work and still had time to learn Guitar and a few other Instument's.My Father only went to School thru Grade Six but he supported a family of Seven until he passed away in 1987.He for all his good and his Military Service would not have passed Muster on this Forum.Try a little Tolerance for those less fortunate a lot of People barley speak English in this world . I know this because i have been around it several times.It does not make them any less intelligent than You are Me .Try Writing a letter in Japanese or Arabic or French etc. I am not getting on to you are anyone directly , however this is just my two cents and if the shoe fit's. :(

Archived