Steve Earle Steering New Joan Baez Album

Jahfin

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003719610

baez_joan_01l.gif

Joan Baez

Gary Graff, Detroit

Steve Earle says the next Joan Baez album, which he's producing, is "a really, really good record." Check that. "It's a f*ckin' great record, man," he tells Billboard.com.

According to Baez's Web site, she anticipates a "late summer/early fall release" for the album, which comes on the heels of the 50th anniversary of her first performances at Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass. A title has not yet been determined.

Baez and Earle worked on the album in Nashville in December and earlier this year, with a band that includes bluegrass veterans Tim O'Brien and Darryl Scott, Alison Krauss' brother Victor on bass and Kenny Malone on drums.

Earle describes the album as "very acoustic but not archaic. There are some really great songs that we started out with, and then I wrote some stuff especially for it. I'm embarrassed -- for about 30 seconds -- to say I've got three songs on it; one of them is 'Jericho Road,' which is on my last record (2007's Grammy-winning 'Washington Square Serenade')."

Earle says Baez has also recorded songs by Eliza Gilkyson, Patti Griffin and Thea Gilmore. "She's one of the great interpreters of songs alive on the planet," Earle says. "We started out with seven songs she brought to the table that she arrived at by hearing them. Some of them she'd already started performing, so we started out with songs she very much wanted to sing."

Baez is planning a March 27 "A Conversation with Joan Baez" anniversary show at Club 47 -- now the Passim Center -- followed by a March 28 performance at Boston's Sanders Theatre where Club Passim will present her with a lifetime achievement award. She also has spring U.S. dates beginning March 21st in Albany, N.Y.

• 2 months later...

Joan Baez Looks Toward 'Tomorrow'

Laura Leebove, N.Y.

As first tipped here in March, folk veteran Joan Baez is readying a new album for fall release. "Day After Tomorrow" is due Sept. 9 via Bobolink/Razor & Tie Entertainment and was produced by Steve Earle.

The 10-track album, recorded in Nashville, comes close to the 50th anniversary of Baez's first performances at Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass. It features three songs written by Earle ("God is God," "I Am A Wanderer," "Jericho Road") as well as compositions by Elvis Costello ("Scarlet Tide"), Tom Waits ("Day After Tomorrow") and Patty Griffin ("Mary"), among others.

To read the remainder of the article click here.

-steve earle and joan baez...sounds interesting.

Not sure how this will come off but she's recorded songs by Ryan Adams, Caitlin Cary, Gillian Welch, Indigo Girls and others before that sounded pretty good and that's coming from someone that's not exactly the world's biggest Joan Baez fan.

Hi:

This sounds exciting...

I always admired her when I was younger and I stil do...

I was lucky to have the music of artists like Rita Coolidge, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Carole King as part of my impressionable teen years...their music always helped me to chill out and get through heartaches, as well as, enjoy my blessings...

Juliet

• 2 months later...

Archived