Never Played Live

MHD

Whilst watching Supergroup last night, Jason was telling all about how Bonzo came up with a little ditty which Jimmy developed into Out On The Tiles. He went on to say that it was never played live in its entirety. It got me wondering why some songs never get played live. Tracks like Hats Off.. you can understand but OOTT is a dynamic, energy filled song that imo would of sounded fantastic live.

I'm no musician, but maybe technical or arrangment difficulties are the reason?? Anyone any thoughts on this?

Whilst watching Supergroup last night, Jason was telling all about how Bonzo came up with a little ditty which Jimmy developed into Out On The Tiles. He went on to say that it was never played live in its entirety. It got me wondering why some songs never get played live. Tracks like Hats Off.. you can understand but OOTT is a dynamic, energy filled song that imo would of sounded fantastic live.

I'm no musician, but maybe technical or arrangment difficulties are the reason?? Anyone any thoughts on this?

Yes I have heard that story before and it makes me love Bonzo even more. The song was about going out drinking - Out on the Tiles being slang for getting drunk.

OOTT was used as the intro to Black Dog in '73. Why not played in it's entirety? i suppose they already had several songs from III in the set. Have to make room for one thing to put in another. I guess it has to do with how the band felt about the songs and the overall flow of the shows.

Except Jason was wrong - they certainly played Out on the Tiles in full at least twice (9/4/70 in LA and 9/19 in NYC).

He actually said that Robert and Jimmy had told him that they had never played it live..and that they (as in Robert and Jimmy) thought it would be cool if Supergroup did it as part of their set.

Unless some unscrupulous editing of the show has been going on.

Confusing :unsure:

OOTT was used as the intro to Black Dog in '73.

OOTT was also used as an intro to Moby Dick on the '77 tour, with the piece often referred to as "Over The Top."

See here:

Yes I have heard that story before and it makes me love Bonzo even more. The song was about going out drinking - Out on the Tiles being slang for getting drunk.

OOTT was used as the intro to Black Dog in '73. Why not played in it's entirety? i suppose they already had several songs from III in the set. Have to make room for one thing to put in another. I guess it has to do with how the band felt about the songs and the overall flow of the shows.

Actually, "Bring It On Home" was used in 1973 for the most part, except for early in the year. But prior to the '73 US tour, and in 1975 through 1980 OOTT was used.

To answer the original question, why were some songs never played live? I don't think difficulty of arrangements has anything to do with it, because they played some pretty complex stuff (Achilles Last Stand, for instance). I think it's a matter of having a finite amount of time in a show, having to play the "hits" that fans demand, working in some new material, and then running out of time. So by '77, they obviously had a huge catalog of songs to choose from, you have to play the obvious ones (Kashmir, Stairway To Heaven, etc), then they picked a few songs from Presence, their most recent album. They probably figured Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine were good representations, and combined they are nearly 20 minutes of the show. So to work in other songs they had never played, like For Your Life, it would have meant dropping something more popular. Personally, I wouldn't have cared if they dropped the acoustic set, and worked in some more electric gems.

I must be the only Zep fan who thinks Living, Loving, Maid would've been a great riff to play live.

I love that riff.

You're not alone, man. I also think it would've been awesome. B)

sombody told me tea for one should've replaced Since Ive Been Loving you, but jimmy did through so riffs from tea into SIBLY. I wished they kept The Wanton Song in the set in 75 and added The rover or Custard Pie. but it probaly sounded to thin to play live. But sick agian is the same type of song.

Here's the songs that were never played live

Zeppelin I

Good Times Bad Times till 2007 was only played in parts of medleys and never really in full. I think there's an interview from Plant saying they played it live in 1968 but there's no recording of it. I think the reason it was never played live is because it's a tough song to play in it's original recording. JPJ and Bonzo both commented on how hard it is to play.

I'm not sure if Your Time is Gonna Come was played in full but it was played in a medley one time.

Zeppelin II

Ramble On wasn't played outside of a medley or two and never in full till December of last year.

Living Loving Maid wasn't played live because Page hates the song.

Zeppelin III

Hats off is the only one. Friends was played live 1 time that we know of.

Zeppelin IV

Every song was played live.

Four Sticks was played once in Copenhagen in 71. Levee was played 3 times in 1975.

Houses of the Holy

D'yer M'aker was only played in a medley and was just a bunch of "Oh's" from what I remember. Every other song was played. The Cruge was used in medleys in 75. Best version is from Vancouver March 19th

Physical Graffiti

Custard Pie although it was used for some medleys

The Rover started Sick Again but they never played it live

Houses of the Holy

In the Light-the instrument JPJ used for that song was too fragile to bring it so they never played it.

Down by the Seaside

Night Flight-although P&P shows when they did play it Robert sometimes said that they did play it once but I think that may be from a memory of a rehearsal in Chicago when they did play it.

Boogie with Stu

Presence

For Your Life was played for the first time in 2007

Royal Orleans and Hots on for Nowhere were never played

Page and Plant played Tea for One and Candy Rock Store. Zeppelin never did. Some Tea for One stuff was put in SIBLY in 77 on but the song was never played till 1996.

In Through the Out Door

South Bend Suarez, Carouselumbra, Fool in the Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl were never played live by Zeppelin. But Plant played Fool in the Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl. The only time he played Fool in the Rain was with Pearl Jam in a benefit for Hurricane Katrina. They had to use a lyric sheet for it.

Coda

Poor Tom, Ozone Baby, Darlene, Wearing and Tearing, Walters Walk, Bonzo's Montreux(unless you count his drum solos which he used some of the same stuff)

Walters Walk-was used in Dazed medleys. And Wearing and Tearing was played by P&P in 1990 at Knebworth.

Here's the songs that were never played live

Zeppelin I

Good Times Bad Times till 2007 was only played in parts of medleys and never really in full. I think there's an interview from Plant saying they played it live in 1968 but there's no recording of it. I think the reason it was never played live is because it's a tough song to play in it's original recording. JPJ and Bonzo both commented on how hard it is to play.

I'm not sure if Your Time is Gonna Come was played in full but it was played in a medley one time.

Zeppelin II

Ramble On wasn't played outside of a medley or two and never in full till December of last year.

Living Loving Maid wasn't played live because Page hates the song.

Zeppelin III

Hats off is the only one. Friends was played live 1 time that we know of.

Zeppelin IV

Every song was played live.

Four Sticks was played once in Copenhagen in 71. Levee was played 3 times in 1975.

Houses of the Holy

D'yer M'aker was only played in a medley and was just a bunch of "Oh's" from what I remember. Every other song was played. The Cruge was used in medleys in 75. Best version is from Vancouver March 19th

Physical Graffiti

Custard Pie although it was used for some medleys

The Rover started Sick Again but they never played it live

Houses of the Holy

In the Light-the instrument JPJ used for that song was too fragile to bring it so they never played it.

Down by the Seaside

Night Flight-although P&P shows when they did play it Robert sometimes said that they did play it once but I think that may be from a memory of a rehearsal in Chicago when they did play it.

Boogie with Stu

Presence

For Your Life was played for the first time in 2007

Royal Orleans and Hots on for Nowhere were never played

Page and Plant played Tea for One and Candy Rock Store. Zeppelin never did. Some Tea for One stuff was put in SIBLY in 77 on but the song was never played till 1996.

In Through the Out Door

South Bend Suarez, Carouselumbra, Fool in the Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl were never played live by Zeppelin. But Plant played Fool in the Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl. The only time he played Fool in the Rain was with Pearl Jam in a benefit for Hurricane Katrina. They had to use a lyric sheet for it.

Coda

Poor Tom, Ozone Baby, Darlene, Wearing and Tearing, Walters Walk, Bonzo's Montreux(unless you count his drum solos which he used some of the same stuff)

Walters Walk-was used in Dazed medleys. And Wearing and Tearing was played by P&P in 1990 at Knebworth.

Informative info NickZepp, thanks. No Houses of The Holy? I'm a bit gobsmacked, that song is immense..I love it.

Actually, "Bring It On Home" was used in 1973 for the most part, except for early in the year. But prior to the '73 US tour, and in 1975 through 1980 OOTT was used.

Right :D

I remeber them using the OOTT intro for Black Dog in 1971....and as far as playing OOTT complete? "wow".... I wish they would of played it more!

but then again, as new sources start to show up like 9/19/70 (eveening) we just might get to hear another version of this kick-but number.

Right :D

I remeber them using the OOTT intro for Black Dog in 1971....and as far as playing OOTT complete? "wow".... I wish they would of played it more!

but then again, as new sources start to show up like 9/19/70 (eveening) we just might get to hear another version of this kick-but number.

They kicked the shit out of it in LA, 9/4/70!!! YEAH!

I agree, they should have played it as much as possible while Robert still had that range.

Thats a long list of songs on P.G. to have been rarely or never played. Some good ones there too, especially The Rover.

Half the stuff from PG was rejected from other albums. Which is most of the stuff that wasn't played.

Ever hear Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes CD 'Live at the Greek'? There is an amazing performance of Out On The Tiles on there. I have no idea why Zeppelin never played this song in it entirety, but I would like to know the reason.

OOTT was also used as an intro to Moby Dick on the '77 tour, with the piece often referred to as "Over The Top."

See here:

if you post links to bootlegs on this site they will get removed the same thing happened to seattle 77 and knebworth 79

Ever hear Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes CD 'Live at the Greek'? There is an amazing performance of Out On The Tiles on there. I have no idea why Zeppelin never played this song in it entirety, but I would like to know the reason.

They played it some in 1970. And it'll suck if the Nobs stuff gets deleted. Even though most of it isn't official stuff.

You're absolutely correct, I realised this the other day when I was listening to a '73 show, but then forgot to edit.

Anyone know off the top of their heads what three shows from '75 contained "When the Levee Breaks?"

EDit: Nevermind - the dates seem to be Jan 12, 20, and 21 if anyone else cares.

I'll look this up in a minute but I think they may have put it in parts of WLL once. I could be thinking of another song though.

Archived