Never Played Live

MHD

Ever hear Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes CD 'Live at the Greek'? There is an amazing performance of Out On The Tiles on there. I have no idea why Zeppelin never played this song in it entirety, but I would like to know the reason.

Perhaps, with the Crowes, Page had several other guitarists (Rich Robinson and Audley Freed) to work out all of the guitar parts, have them rehearse it and to give it a fresh live feel. With Zeppelin, it's just him on guitar to cover all the guitar parts (or some variation of the arrangement), so maybe he never felt it would translate as well live.

R B)

Perhaps, with the Crowes, Page had several other guitarists (Rich Robinson and Audley Freed) to work out all of the guitar parts, have them rehearse it and to give it a fresh live feel. With Zeppelin, it's just him on guitar to cover all the guitar parts (or some variation of the arrangement), so maybe he never felt it would translate as well live.

R B)

I have a copy of OOTT from the Blueberry Hill show (LA 9/70) that sounds great. Crowes/Page did a few songs I never heard Zep play - for instance 'Your Time Is Gonna Come'. Anyway, I wonder why they rarely played 'Four Sticks' and 'Gallow's Pole' since they were a big part of the Unledded thing?

Peace.

It was probably another "band" decision (back in the day with Zeppelin), whereas with the Crowes, Page probably talked with the Crowes and said let's play this and they went, ok. Anything with you, Jimmy (Mr. Page), would be fine with us (we're not worthy). :D

R B)

I have a copy of OOTT from the Blueberry Hill show (LA 9/70) that sounds great. Crowes/Page did a few songs I never heard Zep play - for instance 'Your Time Is Gonna Come'. Anyway, I wonder why they rarely played 'Four Sticks' and 'Gallow's Pole' since they were a big part of the Unledded thing?

Peace.

They also played Ramble On live which Zeppelin never really played live. They may have played Gallows Pole a half a dozen times and Four Sticks once that we know of. But remember that probably about half of the concerts they ever played were recorded so they may have played some of these songs more.

He actually said that Robert and Jimmy had told him that they had never played it live..and that they (as in Robert and Jimmy) thought it would be cool if Supergroup did it as part of their set.

Unless some unscrupulous editing of the show has been going on.

Confusing :unsure:

I watched that too, he did say Jimmy and Robert said it had never been played, but in fairness, given the no. of gigs over 11 years you can forgive them for forgetting. I know they played it on the blueberry hill bootleg. Was at this point to were i started to think that a Zep reunion was iminent due to Jason being around Jimmy and Robert.

Was really cool though when they did OOTT, and the emotion from Jason especially at the end doin his big finish, and his big HELL YEAH at the end, was such a fitting tribute to Bonzo, was very nice to watch, cant remember which other member said too that he just wanted to nail this one song for Jason and his Dad, but was mint!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is out on tiles live in 1970.

That was great! Thanks for sharing that!

Also, didn't Jimmy and Robert give Jason their blessing to perform OOTT on that Vh1 show with Ted Nugent and Sebastian Bach....Rockstar, I think it was called?

Some weren't played because there were synth and bass playing at the same time (like Fool in the Rain)

Also it's a damn shame they never played I'm Gonna Crawl. Best song off of ITTOD, imo.

Jonesy had foot pedals for bass. They could have played FITR if they wanted, my guess is the samba part in the middle would have been hard to do live.

• 5 years later...

I got a bootleg with OOTT, I personally like the studio the best though. I think Zep skipped songs they just didn't think were the best, which I've heard Page claims Living Loving Miad was their worst song. But I think more songs from PG, P, ITTOD, and C would've been played if Zep didn't have so many problems through those years. They just didn't have time

Archived