What did they think of other bands

Here's a quote from Page on the late Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher

“ "Rory's death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage, and it put a damper on the evening. I can't say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once, and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player."

—Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

two guitar solos jimmy has remarked on enjoying are 'reeling in the years' by steely dan and 'midnight at the oasis' by maria muldour

planty was a big moby grape fan, which i dont think has been added to this thread yet

Page loved the Damned & Dire Straits. Plant loved the alternative scene of the 80's from Big Black to Let's Active. Bonham was a big Police fan, not a Rush fan.

Page hated Floyd for the record.

I wouldn't doubt that he hated Floyd's music but I think I read quotes how he respected Gilmore. I'll have to find them. Gilmore was a big fan of Led Zeppelin

I wouldn't doubt that he hated Floyd's music but I think I read quotes how he respected Gilmore. I'll have to find them. Gilmore was a big fan of Led Zeppelin

I know he liked early Floyd with Barret, he didn't like what it became later. Page will rarely put down a "musician" even if he doesn't like the music they are playing, it's not his style so I'm sure he respects Gilmore & co., just that he really didn't like the direction they went into later on & I'd have to agree.

Page also loved the Velvet underground when he was in the Yardbirds. He loved their stage shows at the Factory with the whole multimedia aspect to it.

John Bonham allegedly walked on stage at Nassau Coliseum pissed up while Deep Purple were playing, grabbed a microphone and said they were shit and so was Tommy Bolin. Then got beat up backstage, then sent away in a car.

Allegedly

In a AC/DC biography I thumbed through at the store someone claimed AC/DC was going to be on the bill at Knebworth, but Robert didn't want them. "Too derivative," he said. Actually by that point...Bon and Angus probably would've given Zep a great run for their money!

ive seen some silly things on this site, but how can such a lumpen, hamfisted, and rhythmically band have given zep a run for their money, in their dreams, perhaps ?

Bonzo was friends of the guys from ELO and Sabbath(There's a pic in Thunder Of Drums showing Bonzo

standing with Tony Iommi and Ozzy. I think Bev Bevan and Jeff Lynne are in the same pic) :D

Any chance of seeing that pic or a link to it here ??! :)

John Bonham allegedly walked on stage at Nassau Coliseum pissed up while Deep Purple were playing, grabbed a microphone and said they were shit and so was Tommy Bolin. Then got beat up backstage, then sent away in a car.

Allegedly

I don't know, maybe he expected to see Ritchie Blackmore.

• 2 weeks later...
Fairport Convention and especially Richard Thompson were favorites of Jimmy.

I think it was Bonzo who was in a band with Dave Pegg who became the bass player in Fairport when they were both living in Birmingham.

Robert is certainly a fan of theirs because he is at Cropredy, their music festival, most years and has even played on stage twice, once with his band and once with Fairport backing him.

Robert also is at least a friend of David Gilmour (it's Gilmour not gilmore!) if not a fan of his music (although i expect that he does like David's music) because i saw him taking his seat at David's dvd premiere at Leceister Square last year.

I am almost postive that JPJ mentioned in an interview that he was a fan of Floyd until Barrett left.

3 pages and no one has mentioned how at least Page and Plant are obvious fans of blues legends such as Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon and Howlin Wolf?

Robert Plant was a huge Bob Dylan fan, he mentiooned this in an interview in Q magazine once saying the Rolling Thunder Revue was one of the best things he had ever seen in terms of a live gig.

• 5 years later...

Janis Joplin took Percy under her wing during a few early on gigs when they were on the same bill, I remember a story about a very sore voiced Plant and large amounts of orange juice spiked with quantities of vodka prepared by Janis.

this is from 2002

RP: I played at most of them in America. And then we were virtually unknown. They were called the international pop festivals. I got to know a lot of the musicians and Janice Joplin took pity on me. She was a couple of years older. My voice used to pack up because we’d do two or three shows a day. And she’d always be sitting on the stage, cackling at me, laughing when I couldn’t do it. And she’d say “come here Robert”, and she’d give me a bottle, “take this OJ”, and of course it would be nine parts vodka to one part orange juice and she’d laugh as it burnt my throat some more. In those days you could have a bill which was so stimulating for everybody. But of course it lasted longer and somehow the sun was always out.

From what I've read, both Page and Plant are huge fans of the late Jeff Buckley. Plant is also a fan of Jeff's dad Tim Buckley, covering his "Song to the Siren" on Dreamland.

2:05 small segment with Jimmy talking about Jeff.

Who wouldn't!!

Me. I never saw them live but Surrealistic Pillow is one of my favorite albums from that era. Page wasn't impressed with the Grateful Dean either. Plant was a fan of Moby Grape. He and Page both admired Joanie Mitchell.

• 4 years later...

I really, really dislike Fleetwood Mac, I don't know why, they just set my teeth on edge. At any rate, I remember reading something Jason said about his dad really liking them and playing a Fleetwood Mac 8-track in the car taking him to his motocross events when he wasn't on tour and re-thinking everything positive I had ever thought about Bonzo! Kidding, of course!

Archived