"Over The Hills" lyrics, did Robert EVER sing them right?

Mattmc1973

In virtually every bootleg I've heard, when the drums kick in and Robert is supposed to sing "Many times I've loved, and many times been bitten", instead he sings "Many times I've lied, and many times I've listened", then sings it again in its correct place. So he sings "Many times I've lied..." twice, ALWAYS. You'd think he would've gotten it right eventually, but he never seemed to, all through 73 and 75 he always sang it wrong!

I think he also sometimes said Accopello(sp?) Gold instead of pocket full of gold. There's a lot of lyrics Robert changed because just to show his humor. The line about Haila's high hopes ball in the Ocean is changed several times live.

In virtually every bootleg I've heard, when the drums kick in and Robert is supposed to sing "Many times I've loved, and many times been bitten", instead he sings "Many times I've lied, and many times I've listened", then sings it again in its correct place. So he sings "Many times I've lied..." twice, ALWAYS. You'd think he would've gotten it right eventually, but he never seemed to, all through 73 and 75 he always sang it wrong!

Lets see hows that Nursey Rhyme (& Crap) Go? Seems to be the persons lifetime MO---"Robbie-Robbie Con-trary" see-saw --- margerie daw ....NO , I think improviseing is fine ----repitition ? ---like singing Zep songs with different bands for 20 years --- If you bought a ticket you can hear Krauss sing you into a noon time nappy nap Zzzzzz levee blackdog....

-

Acapulco Gold? as in sweet maryjane? or whatever the stimulant is?

keen observation-

many many man, can't see his munchies growin'

I live for my dream,and Acapulco gold.

Who's to say what's right or what's wrong, what does it matter, who gives a fuck ? Bobby probably sang it 10 different ways in the studio.... so it all boils down to what the producer (Page) put in the finished product.

Well, I would argue that if Plant sang the same verse twice in a row in Stairway or Black Dog, people would say "oops, Robert messed up", not "well, who's to say that's wrong, he's singing it how he wants to".

There you go...Roberts perogative.....You've answered your own question.

and i suppose if jimmy decided to play the first chord to the song repeatedly while jonesy hit one note on the piano/bass and mr bonham smacked a few crash cymbals in time while robert freestyled it'd make quite an interesting song..

but yeah, it'd be up to them i guess... :D

There you go...Roberts perogative.....You've answered your own question.

Not at all what I said.

This discussion is going a way that's not uncommon on these boards. You'll generally find two factions when talking about Zep live recordings. A faction that wants to impartially talk about boots, warts and all, and discuss the good, bad, and the ugly. There's another faction who is here to say "Zeppelin rules!" and finds the notion that they can be critiqued or critcized abhorrent. The band is above analysis, Robert and Jimmy can do no wrong, Robert's voice never changed, Jimmy never played poorly due to drugs, Zeppelin is to be loved and thanked for their contributions to us, and one must never speak ill of them.

To each his own, if you believe that Robert always sang a verse twice in a row in OTHAFA because he liked it that way, and it wasn't a mistake, more power to you.

Since we're on the topic of did Robert sing the right lyrics, did he ever sing the lyrics to Trampled Underfoot correctly? I can't think of any from the bootlegs that I've heard. Also, Kashmir. On DVD he switches the "Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace" verse with the "Oh, father of the four winds" verse. Singing the latter first. Initially, I thought he just had a really good memory and knew what he had done. But, I've heard on a few other live versions from '75 and '77 where he does the same. Wonder what the reason for that might be? Sorry I can't be more detailed as to when and where I've heard him say these things. I really wish I had an encyclopedic knowledge of bootlegs to cite more specific references!

Not at all what I said.

This discussion is going a way that's not uncommon on these boards. You'll generally find two factions when talking about Zep live recordings. A faction that wants to impartially talk about boots, warts and all, and discuss the good, bad, and the ugly. There's another faction who is here to say "Zeppelin rules!" and finds the notion that they can be critiqued or critcized abhorrent. The band is above analysis, Robert and Jimmy can do no wrong, Robert's voice never changed, Jimmy never played poorly due to drugs, Zeppelin is to be loved and thanked for their contributions to us, and one must never speak ill of them.

To each his own, if you believe that Robert always sang a verse twice in a row in OTHAFA because he liked it that way, and it wasn't a mistake, more power to you.

:thumbsup: Bingo

Not at all what I said.

I know Robert made mistakes, i've heard enough of them. But, Mistakes, improvisation. . . call it what you want, it's all part of the show....if the audience wants to hear note for note, word for word renditions of OTHAFA then maybe they should stay at home and put the record on (i don't mean you). Imo warts (and all) just add to the magic......ah.. Match of the Day...gotta go....L,Pool 3 N'castle 0 magic.

It seems like on OTHAFA, he sang it different every time. He was also good at switching verses around, singing the third verse second, the second verse third, like Rock And Roll and The Ocean on TSRTS. I recently watched the Beatles performing Help on the Ed Sullivan show in 1965. John Lennon forgot the words to the second verse!

I recall a Plant concert where he messed up some line, I was going along with the song in my head when he missed the words, I was in the front row and looked at him like.....uh, I heard that! He looked at me and grinned widely :D

Most of the time I have no clue whatsoever what the hell Robert is singing. He's almost as bad as Stevie Nicks. Robert could be singing nonsense for all I know or care. Even though I've been listening to Led Zep for years, I can't sing along with the songs because I haven't got a clue what the lyrics are.

Archived