Zep's best year?

greenman

Zep's best year  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Best year

If you include all albums released and concerts performed which year do you think was Zep's most productive? I'd count studio albums as coming from the year released and live albums from the year recorded personally but you don't have to.

If you include all albums released and concerts performed which year do you think was Zep's most productive? I'd count studio albums as coming from the year released and live albums from the year recorded personally but you don't have to.

I would have to think it was 1969 just because everything happened so fast for them then…they were working around the clock, touring and recording.

They were fresh, eager and just bloody amazing!

The chart climbing of Led Zeppelin 1 and 2 was just amazing.

Plus 1&2 are my most favorite albums.

if you ask me every year led zeppelin was great.they released so many different albums over the years.but i hyave to agree that led zeppelin was at the top of thier game in 1975.i think they just released physical graffiti that year.by the time of presence thier albums were great but they really started going down.

'73 really seemed like their breakthrough year, as far as popularity and acclaim. Houses was a big hit, and their '73 summer tour was record-breaking in attendance, and really garnerned a lot of attention. Add to that their smokin' European tour concerts, and '73 was a GOOD year.

I voted for 73 cuz I love seeing videos from their concerts that year, and The Ocean debuted that year! You can't overlook the best Page riff ever. It would be blasphemous.

I wanted to go for 75 cuz Physical Graffiti is my favorite album, but meh. Houses of the Holy is still pretty good and the PG tour doesn't seem to have been as good. Also I wanted to fit in with the cool kids. The popular thing is always 73. :P

The had just produced one of the greatest rock records ever. In my humble opinion, everything after Led IV (with a few notable exceptions) was a bit redundant.

I was going to say 1972, because that's when the album really hit huge with the fans and people in general.......but...1971 it is.

Regards;

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As someone that lived through every year of Zep. I'd say that the first half of 1975, they owned the world. Double album, amazing tour, own record label, and the last period of Zep before the tragedies started to strike.

As someone that lived through every year of Zep. I'd say that the first half of 1975, they owned the world. Double album, amazing tour, own record label, and the last period of Zep before the tragedies started to strike.

Ditto to all of your posting. I lived through all of their years since their beginning, and I agree, Led Zeppelin was the Super Group of the 70's and peaked to the summit of the world in 75.

1969. You know, releasing Led Zeppelin I and II, the roots of many rock albums to follow for a few decades is kind of important. :)

IMHO 69 was, a vintage year

• 3 months later...
1975 was a great year!!!...

and they were so hot!!!...

For sure, just look at them at Earls Court, they're like kings, like gods. There is something utterly glorious about those shows, and they just seem to be basking in the incredible thing they've created. I think also though that some complacency and a touch of arrogance perhaps was starting to creep in. They just don't look hungry anymore, not like they did at RAH '70. Also, IMHO, by '75 both Page and Plant were not cutting it like they did in earlier tours, Page had lost considerable fluency (compare STH solos from TSRTS and the Earls Court DVD.) So although i love '75 Zep I'd have to go for an earlier year, perhaps '69 or '71.

• 3 years later...

Well I do not know the exact year that IV was created, but that gets my vote. I am not talking about live concerts, only studio producing. The year they wrote the greatest album ever made by humans, Led Zeppelin IV gets my vote.

It's 1971. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would've said 1968 because everything fell into place in a matter of a few months, ditched the Yardbirds name, had the first album finished by the end of the year and were a well oiled machine and solid setlist. They went into 1969 kicking ass and taking names.

The band evolved through '69 and new songs were added in, but wouldn't the best day of Led Zeppelin be the day they all plugged in and did TKAR? It changed their lives.

Archived