What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

I'm just watching Tudor Monastery Farm, very interesting. Did you know that during the summer solstice during those times, if they had a feast with pork and ale to celebrate, they would later throw the bones onto a fire near midnight...hence the name Bonfire. Bon from the word bone.

I can't tell if you're being droll or sincere. Or sincerely droll. How did they celebrate the winter solstice, since it's almost upon us? Wait: these are monks, feasting on pork 'n ale? I thought they were to live quiet, scholarly lives and abstain from all bodily pleasures.

I can't tell if you're being droll or sincere. Or sincerely droll. How did they celebrate the winter solstice, since it's almost upon us? Wait: these are monks, feasting on pork 'n ale? I thought they were to live quiet, scholarly lives and abstain from all bodily pleasures.

Tudor Monastery Farm is not a programme about the lives of monks. It's basically a reality TV show about ordinary peoples lives set in Tudor times on a farm called Tudor Monastery Farm.

I was actually being quite serious. As someone has said it is a history programme being screened by the BBC in which a couple of historians re-create the living conditions of living on a Tudor era farm..I don't know wither to be offended by your comment or not.

What's with all the snark and ire being directed at FireOpal? She asked a perfectly reasonable question. I'm not aware of that show either, and one person said it's a reality show and another said it's a history programme...which are not one and the same in my experience.

Scrooge 1951 Alistair Sim

That's not only the best Scrooge...it's the only Scrooge you need to see!

Curious that it was released as "Scrooge" in the U.K., while in the U.S. it was given its proper Charles Dickens title "A Christmas Carol".

Christmas isn't Christmas without at least one viewing of the 1951 "A Christmas Carol". That, along with "It's a Wonderful Life", the original "Miracle on 34th St.", "The Nightmare Before Christmas", and the classic television specials (Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, The Year Without a Santa Claus) are all that constitute my holiday viewing.

That's not only the best Scrooge...it's the only Scrooge you need to see!

Curious that it was released as "Scrooge" in the U.K., while in the U.S. it was given its proper Charles Dickens title "A Christmas Carol".

Christmas isn't Christmas without at least one viewing of the 1951 "A Christmas Carol". That, along with "It's a Wonderful Life", the original "Miracle on 34th St.", "The Nightmare Before Christmas", and the classic television specials (Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, The Year Without a Santa Claus) are all that constitute my holiday viewing.

I agree with you Strider. You know, I love the 1951 version, the best by far and I watch it several times a year near Xmas as I own the DVD. But I must say I did like Reginald Owen's 1938 version too, but not nearly as good. But still worth seeing. Our Cats were on the couch watching Rudolph in amazement!!! We could not believe it. The Grinch, Rudolph, Its a Wonderful Life (which I am popping in next), Charlie Brown Xmas, and Miracle on 34th St are all on my lost as are yours. We are in complete agreement on this. I will watch Alistair Sim a few more times before Xmas

Oh, and I also have to see A Christmas Story. I know they play it to death. But its great also

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I was actually being quite serious. As someone has said it is a history programme being screened by the BBC in which a couple of historians re-create the living conditions of living on a Tudor era farm..I don't know wither to be offended by your comment or not.

I meant no offense. The programme sounds interesting; I hope it makes its way stateside someday.

P.S. Thank you, Strider: you're a gentleman and a scholar :)

Edited by FireOpal