What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

Technically not presently on TV, but watched this "60 Minutes" episode about the special city of Cremona, Italy in which the best violins in the world - Stradivarius - are made.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-city-of-music/

Some wonderful insights into the craftsmanship of the instrument, including the only two forests from which the wood for the Strads is taken. The selection process itself is meticulous; it's fascinating to know all the little details that can affect the particular sound quality of a given piece of wood, and eventually, the instrument. Then, coming full circle, the forest in Italy itself is serenaded periodically with violins made from it.

Here's some extra few minutes of footage:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/memories-of-a-journey-to-the-land-of-violins/

I also stumbled upon this 10 minute teaser of a documentary about Stradivari vs. Guarneri - also from Cremona (and actually the Amati family as well - what is it about that city?! Must go and visit...)

"Violin Masters: Two Gentlemen of Cremona"

Check out the documentary website for more information about the production and talent: http://www.violin-masters.com/

In a time of mass production in which uniformity and efficiency rule, the craftsmanship that makes each instrument unique and the time it takes to do so is both refreshing and alluring. I'm moved by the intimacy between the musicians and their instruments:

"To me this is not a tool. It never was. In fact, for me, this is a complete extension of my being. In fact, in Hebrew - we have something called the sound post in there - in Hebrew it's called the soul. The actual word, neshema, it's the 'soul'. This [points to violin] is the soul." - Pinchas Zukerman.

It's rare to hear people speak like that.

Edited to remove senile moment.

Edited by Patrycja

^ actually it's neshama just to get it right and clarify...

Will be watching the "Star Trek" 2009 movie tonight. I loved when Spock returned: "I have been and always shall be your friend." : Then when Spock meets Spock, what an epic yet tender moment. Always makes me smile, even just thinking about it.

I just finished a Winter movie marathon of epic proportions. I recorded every Acadamy award winner that I had never seen on TMC. A sample.....

"It Happened One Night"

"The Third Man"

"Laura"

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

"Network" (Holy Crap....a young Berta from "Two and a Half Men" was in this !)

"All the King's Men"

It's amazing what time capsules 80 year old movies have become. It's as much fun to watch the scenery and surrounding culture as the movie itself.

I still think Gene Tierney was one hot lady !

I just finished a Winter movie marathon of epic proportions. I recorded every Acadamy award winner that I had never seen on TMC. A sample.....

"It Happened One Night"

"The Third Man"

"Laura"

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

"Network" (Holy Crap....a young Berta from "Two and a Half Men" was in this !)

"All the King's Men"

It's amazing what time capsules 80 year old movies have become. It's as much fun to watch the scenery and surrounding culture as the movie itself.

I still think Gene Tierney was one hot lady !

I totally agree ... Watching the older movies, even films from the 50's , it's like looking back in time.

Arsenic and Old Lace, Casablanca African Queen, The Thing, The Uninvited, Frankenstein, the list goes on and on...I can chill and watch these films all weekend long. I LOVE the opening credits to the movies too.

Its embarrassing to admit, but for the first time last night I watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes in its entirety. What an incredibly surreal film, I was blown away.