What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

6 hours ago, Electrophile said:

I don't think it had anything to do with race, truly. Linda wasn't attached to Paul's hip the way Yoko was to John's, and you don't see Linda in much of the footage, whereas Yoko is sitting beside John just about the whole time. Which was her right, if the other three didn't have a problem with it. I think the issue is Yoko was the most visible interloper, if you will, and she made a convenient scapegoat. It could have easily been Maureen Starkey or Pattie Harrison or yes, Linda McCartney, but none of those three inserted themselves into the band the way Yoko Ono did. Paul later said in an interview with Howard Stern that the three of them had no problems with her, and that John was clearly in love with her, which they understood. She was the exact opposite of his first wife, and he was attracted to that.

The band was going to implode whether she was there or not. The four of them were moving in four different directions, and George Harrison in particular was tired of being ignored and shoved the side when he was just as good as songwriter and just as good a singer as either Paul or John. All Things Must Pass pretty much bears that out.

Ha, not the race issue. I was referring to Yoko being a strong, independent woman. It was John who would not leave Yoko alone, Yoko is on the record about what a dependent, clingy person Lennon was. You know you're fed up with someone and want them gone when you give them a mistress and say "get lost." 

Not trying to malign a genius like John Lennon, the cat had his issues as we all do. I just felt kinda sorry for Yoko.

12 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Ha, not the race issue. I was referring to Yoko being a strong, independent woman. It was John who would not leave Yoko alone, Yoko is on the record about what a dependent, clingy person Lennon was. You know you're fed up with someone and want them gone when you give them a mistress and say "get lost." 

Not trying to malign a genius like John Lennon, the cat had his issues as we all do. I just felt kinda sorry for Yoko.

Unpopular opinion here: I think the lads absolutely had a problem with Yoko being in there 24/7 - in the beginning, at least. Would any of them ever admit it publicly or privately to John? Of course not!! Not hip, not cool, not supportive of their brother Beatle. But yeah, I think they thought it was weird and disruptive, and eventually got used to it and thought "who cares, eff it" and that was that.   

Paul actually hints at this when he talks about them not having a "dad" anymore keeping the group focused and that the group probably needed that, and if they did the "dad" would say: 'all right lads, into the studio you go, no girls, sorry!' I think at the time of filming Paul had clearly already made his peace with the whole situation, as I'm sure the other guys did, but I also sense that ideally he would not have wanted her or any girls around unless it was just a quick visit. Just a hunch.

By the time of filming, they were all well-resigned to the new dynamic and by then went with it themselves - so the studio recordings had become a "come one, come all" kind of thing. Lots of psychic bolstering/support from visitors going on from all sides. The documentary is fascinating because you can sense stuff going on under the surface the whole time. We the viewers are not privy to the private band meetings that happened off camera but it's pretty obvious the writing was on the wall. There's a heaviness there, even when they're playing around. Deep down, even though they've decided to stay together, they know things have really changed. Yoko didn't instigate that, but I do think she was a reflection of it, if that makes any sense.  A convenient scapegoat, for sure.

22 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

and finally shows how Yoko has been maliciously maligned all these years. Yes, she is a horrible singer. Yes, she performs insane performance art. But influence or break up the Beatles? HA! John & Paul did that all on their own. 

Ego's broke up the Beatles, plain and simple. Yoko just happened to be at the wrong place, wrong time. Hmmmm, I wonder why Linda McCartney was not maligned like Yoko was for the breakup of the Beatles? Hmmm, I wonder what was, "different" about Yoko vs. Linda? Hmmmmm???

George Harrison's airport rejects hanging around were more creepy and disturbing than Yoko. What is really striking is Paul's statement that in 50 years it is going to seem comical that people thought the Beatles broke up because Yoko sat on an amp. That was an incredibly self-aware and prescient observation by Paul. If a screenwriter had tried to have Paul say that in a fictional biopic of the band, people would have scoffed and called it Hollywood hokum.

Besides, "Get Back" foreshadows the true wolf in sheep's clothing that broke up the Beatles...Allen Klein. It was John Lennon taking a meeting with Allen Klein that set the wheels in motion. Glyn Johns (who knew Klein from his working with The Rolling Stones) even tries to warn Lennon that Klein cannot be trusted.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

George Harrison's airport rejects hanging around were more creepy and disturbing than Yoko. What is really striking is Paul's statement that in 50 years it is going to seem comical that people thought the Beatles broke up because Yoko sat on an amp. That was an incredibly self-aware and prescient observation by Paul. If a screenwriter had tried to have Paul say that in a fictional biopic of the band, people would have scoffed and called it Hollywood hokum.

Besides, "Get Back" foreshadows the true wolf in sheep's clothing that broke up the Beatles...Allen Klein. It was John Lennon taking a meeting with Allen Klein that set the wheels in motion. Glyn Johns (who knew Klein from his working with The Rolling Stones) even tries to warn Lennon that Klein cannot be trusted.

I like the part where someone is asking Ringo if he likes all the Hare Krishna stuff, referring to the visitors, and he's like nope, lol. Peter Jackson def kept that in there for a reason. And yeah, Allen Klein was absolutely a wolf. Predators are good at smelling blood and all that. Imagine him trying to creep in there when the four of them were tighter as friends and a unit back in 1964? No f-ing way, they'd veto that shit right quick. 

23 hours ago, Strider said:

Several famous musicians went full loonie back then with the "hangers-on." Dennis Wilson + the Manson Family; Sammy Davis Jr. + the Church of Satan (but I think that was more for kicks); and of course Peter Green and the Highfisch-Kommune freaks.

Yoko was the least of anyone's worries with clowns like that all over the place.

To be honest, I think John's heroin problem was a bigger issue than Yoko following him around like a lost puppy. None of the other Beatles got into hard drugs. They smoked pot, dropped acid a few times, obviously enjoyed their cigarettes and beer, but that was it. If one was compiling a list of reasons the Beatles went kaput, I don't think anyone's wife or girlfriend would be in the top 10, much less number one.

Edited by Electrophile

Watching the game tonight, and this commercial popped up. I don't think I've ever seen anything cringier, and sharing is caring so here you go. For younger viewers: Johnny Depp did not used to talk like this, it's one of many fun affectations he adopted over the years. Without further ado, Captain Cringe himself:

Well since everyone else offered their two cents, here's mine.  John's problem throughout his life was his Mommy issues.  It basically affected every human relationship he ever had.  That includes Yoko, his first marriage to Cynthia, and his son Julian.   None of this was ever put in its' proper place in his life until Yoko left him in the mid-70's and he begged her to return.   The drinking binges in L.A., heroin, the scream therapy, were all attempts to numb the still lingering pain.  Being in the Beatles just enabled him to delay the process.  The birth of Sean at a more mature age gave him a second chance to finally put those feelings behind him.  Some people think his song "Mother" was his greatest work.  Personally, I hate it.  Not a fan of the album either, but that's just me.  

Edited by Bong-Man

14 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Watching the game tonight, and this commercial popped up. I don't think I've ever seen anything cringier, and sharing is caring so here you go. For younger viewers: Johnny Depp did not used to talk like this, it's one of many fun affectations he adopted over the years. Without further ado, Captain Cringe himself:

:hysterical:

Either Depp is a serious tosser or he did that as a gag (for money of course). Damn hilarious IMO, Spinal Tap level silly.

Those wolves would have sniffed him once and ran for the hills, afraid they might catch something nasty 🙂 

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

:hysterical:

Either Depp is a serious tosser or he did that as a gag (for money of course). Damn hilarious IMO, Spinal Tap level silly.

Those wolves would have sniffed him once and ran for the hills, afraid they might catch something nasty 🙂 

He is 100% being serious, that's what makes it priceless. I think if it were a gag, they'd throw a wink in there somewhere. But nah, they're selling cologne. Clearly, they're trying to be sexy and cool. I do think he'll get called on it and then say "oh, I was just joking around." It's that fake accent that helps take it over the top lol. If SNL had any balls, they'd do a skit on this and just roast him. Actors are a strange bunch, God bless em though!

Edited by 1975NQ

There's an interesting article about the Get Back doc for anyone interested in reading. It suggest that Paul and Ringo wanted to preserve the Beatles legacy by showing the footage in a more positive light, basically hiring Peter Jackson to gloss over the negative stuff a bit. I personally think the documentary does a good job of balancing the negative with the positive, but the article comes right out and says: look who's producing this, Paul and Ringo. Anyway, it's an interesting read for those interested:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/beatles-back-glosses-over-bands-134317794.html

17 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

I think at this point it's safe to say they DON'T suck 😂

Which is a step in the right direction 

Getting in to the postseason, possibly as a 10-7, or maybe 9-8 team wouldn't fill me with pride, but at least they would be in the tournament. Still a lot of games left obviously, but a win is a win....

27 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Getting in to the postseason, possibly as a 10-7, or maybe 9-8 team wouldn't fill me with pride, but at least they would be in the tournament. Still a lot of games left obviously, but a win is a win....

That would be a hugely impressive feat, to come back like that, I'd love to see them go 10-7 and squeak into playoffs but those last 3 games are tough ones ...

In the "Get Back series, Paul clearly states that one of the major problems was the women in their lives.  He said back in the early days, he and John used to live together and shared hotel rooms so they were together A LOT and had time to work on songs together.  He also states that if John had to choose between the Beatles ands Yoko - he's choose Yoko.  And it is clear the problem she was in the band -0 just look at where she is during the rehearsals and sessions - right in the middle of them ALL THE TIME!  The few times when Patti, Linda and Maureen came tot he studio, they stayed in the background - even when Linda was working as a photographer - she stayed in the background.  So did George's friends who were there.

Other surprises for me in the show:

1.  The thought of Eric Clapton replacing George.  I don't see him fitting in with the band musically.  And besides, he was already playing second fiddle to George in the romance department, I don't think his ego would have him being second chair to George in the Beatles too.  And the Beatle fans would go ballistic.

2.  I had no idea that Paul was such a major force in the band.

3.  I also had no idea that John was such a great lead guitarist, that Ringo could play piano and that when Paul was on piano, they played the bass notes of their six string guitars to cover the bass parts.        

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

In the "Get Back series, Paul clearly states that one of the major problems was the women in their lives.  He said back in the early days, he and John used to live together and shared hotel rooms so they were together A LOT and had time to work on songs together.  He also states that if John had to choose between the Beatles ands Yoko - he's choose Yoko.  And it is clear the problem she was in the band -0 just look at where she is during the rehearsals and sessions - right in the middle of them ALL THE TIME!  The few times when Patti, Linda and Maureen came tot he studio, they stayed in the background - even when Linda was working as a photographer - she stayed in the background.  So did George's friends who were there.

Other surprises for me in the show:

1.  The thought of Eric Clapton replacing George.  I don't see him fitting in with the band musically.  And besides, he was already playing second fiddle to George in the romance department, I don't think his ego would have him being second chair to George in the Beatles too.  And the Beatle fans would go ballistic.

2.  I had no idea that Paul was such a major force in the band.

3.  I also had no idea that John was such a great lead guitarist, that Ringo could play piano and that when Paul was on piano, they played the bass notes of their six string guitars to cover the bass parts.        

I think the point which is lost regarding Yoko is that she was not the one up in John or the Beatles. Yes she was always "there" but she was not talking or contributing and it was John which was up in Yoko, not the other way around. Lennon was extremely insecure and he latched on to Yoko like a puppy. You see this in every video taken of the two together. Yoko is not going after John, or bothering John, it's the other way around. The problem was not Yoko, the problem was John Lennon.

It reminds me of an old friend who left our group of friends shortly after he met what would be his future wife. Many in the group blamed his future wife but the blame was on him, it was his choice and everyone deep down knew these behaviors had always been there. She was simply his excuse to manifest his true desires and needs.

Similar thing happened in the band I was in.  Drummer married his high school sweetheart, rented a house, and we started practicing there.  First couple months were great - wifee made herself scarce for three hours or so while we practiced.  Then she started staying home during our practices.  Then she started adding her own comments about songs and musical direction.  Then she picked up a tambourine.  Finally, when the drummer said we should start adding Top 40 female songs to the repertoire  - that was the end.