What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

On 12/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, rm2551 said:

Watched Don't Look Up on Netflix. Outstanding.

I loved it, too. I've seen it twice now. They nailed it with the tech billionaire guy. He is the perfect caricature of so many people in the bay area - actual billionaires as well as thousands of people with the same personality who want to be billionaires. Zero sense of empathy for others, living in his own head about how the world should be, full of hubris ... and has POTUS right in his pocket.  

Edited by 1975NQ

54 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

I loved it, too. I've seen it twice now. They nailed it with the tech billionaire guy. He is the perfect caricature of so many people in the bay area - actual billionaires as well as thousands of people with the same personality who want to be billionaires. Zero sense of empathy for others, living in his own head about how the world should be, full of hubris ... and has POTUS right in his pocket.  

Good movie, not exactly subtle though. Loved Meryl Streep as the Pres, she was hilarious! Also appreciated the whole fake news aspect and the way too late realization of the general public when they finally discover the truth. Too funny.

1 minute ago, BobDobbs said:

Good movie, not exactly subtle though. Loved Meryl Streep as the Pres, she was hilarious! Also appreciated the whole fake news aspect and the way too late realization of the general public when they finally discover the truth. Too funny.

Yeah, she killed it as always. I think the non-subtle approach was intentional. The director probably talked it over with the Netflix people, and they opted to hit people over the head with the satire and caricatures. They spent a lot of money on big name actors and needed this to be a hit. It's sad .. on the one hand, audiences get more sophisticated each decade;  but on the other, they clearly want their entertainment to be as palatable and "don't make me think" as possible. Look at film-making in the 70s compared to today. It's night and day. It's this weird combo of people absolutely being dumb-ed down, regarding their desire for content that doesn't require paying close attention or critical thinking - combined with their sharp ability to pick out plot holes and production issues with content much more readily (years and years of content consumption from their own homes give them this skill set).  So, a simultaneously sharper and dumber (lazier) audience now, generally speaking.

Afterlife Season 3 dropped, watched the first ep, was great - as was expected. Will resist as much as possible the impulse to binge it then stew on how there is no more.

Like the Witcher....

Fucks sake.

Edited by rm2551

Right now, Spectrum News because I'm keeping an eye on the weather. I live with and take care of my elderly parents, and my mother in particular can't afford to go without electricity. We have plenty of backup oxygen tanks, but her nebulizer/BiPap run off power, not batteries, and she needs both. So, I'm hoping we don't get enough sleet to bring down power lines.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:07 PM, Electrophile said:

Right now, Spectrum News because I'm keeping an eye on the weather. I live with and take care of my elderly parents, and my mother in particular can't afford to go without electricity. We have plenty of backup oxygen tanks, but her nebulizer/BiPap run off power, not batteries, and she needs both. So, I'm hoping we don't get enough sleet to bring down power lines.

I consider buying a gas generator as often as we lose power here.  I cant stand it.   My hats off to you for what you do.  Many out there will not do it.  I think you guys should pick up a generator.  You might find one in the off season for less than $400?  But Covid may have driven up the prices on those too?  I just got a new furnace.  Was lucky on that. In your case its just risky to lose it. You can get one rigged to kick in if the power goes off.  

45 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

SportsCenter...  I'm going to take a wild guess & say that Brian Flores and his lawsuit is not the kind of publicity the Shield wanted in the weeks leading up to Super Bowl Sunday...  

It's painful to watch. It's not as if racism doesn't exist, it does .. but no way was it involved in his firing. Just cringy. I'm glad they dumped him. If we can get rid of Grier and Ross next, things will be lookin up!! 😛

I'm actually being serious, that org is toxic af. The team and players succeed in spite of the top brass not because of them. I suppose you could say it's nice that Ross gives a damn and inserts himself (uhhh-HUH-huh-huh ..inSERTS .. uhhh-HUH-huh-huh) into decision-making, but he's just not a good guy and doesn't make great decisions.

Edited by 1975NQ

On 1/14/2022 at 12:49 PM, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, she killed it as always. I think the non-subtle approach was intentional. The director probably talked it over with the Netflix people, and they opted to hit people over the head with the satire and caricatures. They spent a lot of money on big name actors and needed this to be a hit. It's sad .. on the one hand, audiences get more sophisticated each decade;  but on the other, they clearly want their entertainment to be as palatable and "don't make me think" as possible. Look at film-making in the 70s compared to today. It's night and day. It's this weird combo of people absolutely being dumb-ed down, regarding their desire for content that doesn't require paying close attention or critical thinking - combined with their sharp ability to pick out plot holes and production issues with content much more readily (years and years of content consumption from their own homes give them this skill set).  So, a simultaneously sharper and dumber (lazier) audience now, generally speaking.

I have not seen "Don't Look Up" yet but it is the same director who did "The Big Short"...Andy McKay. So it sounds like it has some of the same type of energetic satirical storytelling he used in "The Big Short", with cutaway digressions featuring Anthony Bourdain explaining subprime mortgages in cooking terms, Margot Robbie drinking champagne in a bathtub, etc.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:54 AM, chillumpuffer said:

It's great

THANK YOU!  Just finished the last season of "Homeland" and you were right - it was a great ending.  After the disasters that were "Californication", "Shameless", "Game of Thrones", Ray Donovan" and "Dexter: New Blood", I was really not looking forward to watching the last season of one of my favorite shows end in disaster.  The final season of "Homeland" tied up loose ends, had a legitimate ending to the series, yet left it open enough for it to continue if there was enough interest.  That last season was so well written, it ranked right up there with the first two seasons.

Now on to Netflix's "Midnight Mass"...... 

• 2 weeks later...