What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

Depends if you're right or left handed, natch.

I looove watching cooking shows...many an hour of my youth was spent in the charming company of Julia Child and that cheerful Aussie, Graham Kerr, the 'Galloping Gourmet'. I check in on the Food Network and the Cooking channel when I can. I used to watch "The Iron Chef" when it first started airing in the U.S., but now the only cooking competition show I still watch is "Top Chef" on Bravo.

I refuse to watch anything with that foul-mouthed bugger Gordon Ramsey. His shows have nothing to do with cooking...it's all about him and screaming and humiliating people. His restaurant isn't even that good.

If someone screamed abuse at me like that they'd get a frying pan clocked upside their noggin.

We have loads of cooking shows here. Masterchef is great ( amateurs and professionals) - google it. Ramsey is a twat.A bully in the kitchen. I do have one or 2 of his books which are pretty good, jamie Oliver is OK . Nigella Lawson is on for the old "fanarr fanarr" double entendre brigade, can't stand the woman. But the ones I really hate are, say an unknown ex model. Stick thin and is eye candy for the dads. She will make a cake which would equate to 1000 calories a slice. Use 10 eggs, a bucket of cream and 4 lbs chocolate. " eeemmmmm my favourite, the dolly would say" She erotically slices a wedge and just as it goes in the trap - yep you guessed it the film cuts to a shop in London selling Parma hams. Yes she NEVER eats anything she makes and has a fixed grin as she makes her gut busting recipes from a kitchen which can only be dreamed about.

See the trouble in this country being so small (in comparison) is that most foodie shows are based in London and consequently most, but not all, books have recepies with ingriedients so alien to 99% of the population, that they are pretty much a waste of paper. I mean you will hear and read things like - 50 grams or Granada Jambon or 5ml of latvian rosewater or the like. And of course when the "busy all the time" fat Lawson trawls round her deli in Chelsea you know you will never cook anything from her smug written book. She did a programme based on meals in a hurry or healthy dinners whilst you work that sort of thing. She would patronise you by saying "when you have a busy schedule or you work 50 hours a week, I know when time is tight" Yeah right Jumbo, you happen to be married to one of the richest men in the country and have servants and nannies and live in house in the most exclusive part of the Capital. Funny though when they do her TV shows, the kitchen is usually "borrowed" and filmed on location in another house which is bigger than the village I live in.

Maybe I should do a foodie show to showcase what 90% of the population eats. Firstly pick up the phone. Order a number 12 with a 16 and 28 or open the packet, put in the microwave, wait for a ring sound. Stir and eat

Edited by chillumpuffer

We have loads of cooking shows here. Masterchef is great ( amateurs and professionals) - google it. Ramsey is a twat.A bully in the kitchen. I do have one or 2 of his books which are pretty good, jamie Oliver is OK . Nigella Lawson is on for the old "fanarr fanarr" double entendre brigade, can't stand the woman. But the ones I really hate are, say an unknown ex model. Stick thin and is eye candy for the dads. She will make a cake which would equate to 1000 calories a slice. Use 10 eggs, a bucket of cream and 4 lbs chocolate. " eeemmmmm my favourite, the dolly would say" She erotically slices a wedge and just as it goes in the trap - yep you guessed it the film cuts to a shop in London selling Parma hams. Yes she NEVER eats anything she makes and has a fixed grin as she makes her gut busting recipes from a kitchen which can only be dreamed about.

See the trouble in this country being so small (in comparison) is that most foodie shows are based in London and consequently most, but not all, books have recepies with ingriedients so alien to 99% of the population, that they are pretty much a waste of paper. I mean you will hear and read things like - 50 grams or Granada Jambon or 5ml of latvian rosewater or the like. And of course when the "busy all the time" fat Lawson trawls round her deli in Chelsea you know you will never cook anything from her smug written book. She did a programme based on meals in a hurry or healthy dinners whilst you work that sort of thing. She would patronise you by saying "when you have a busy schedule or you work 50 hours a week, I know when time is tight" Yeah right Jumbo, you happen to be married to one of the richest men in the country and have servants and nannies and live in house in the most exclusive part of the Capital. Funny though when they do her TV shows, the kitchen is usually "borrowed" and filmed on location in another house which is bigger than the village I live in.

Maybe I should do a foodie show to showcase what 90% of the population eats. Firstly pick up the phone. Order a number 12 with a 16 and 28 or open the packet, put in the microwave, wait for a ring sound. Stir and eat

Well said - laughing away at your comments, Chill. I think the most creative meals are what you make with bits and leftovers. It's fun to cook something more exotic sometimes and shop the ethnic markets for ingredients, but if you don't live in a big city that's difficult. Wonder what Nigella can do with beans on toast? I've never seen her with a jar of Marmite either, so how British can she be?

Comcast sportsnet - Ed Reed announces he is Texas bound.

:console::drinks:

That sucks, BD. I'm no Raven fan, but I did like and admire Ed Reed as a player. He was easily my favourite Raven and one of the greatest safeties I have ever seen...and I have seen them all from Willie Brown to Jake Scott to Kenny Easley to Ronnie Lott. Terrible loss to the Ravens.

On the other hand, my Houston friends will be over-the-moon ecstatic.

Edited by Strider

Last night: Fahrenheit 9/11 and Capitalism, two MIchael Moore documentaries on IFC. He's not my favourite person, but in his way he hits the nail on the head.

Hi Shadecatcher,

Michael Moore isn't on my list of favorites either, but you're right about Fahrenheit 9/11. I loved when he stood out in front of Congress asking these elected officials to drag their 'little snowflakes' out of their East coast Ivy League dorms to go to Iraq.

He nailed it is right. Thanks for posting this.

I was just talking to a woman the other day who said her 23 yr old is being deployed by the end of March. That's like NOW.

Sorry to be a hijacker of this thread..stepping off my soapbox now.

:)