Guess what is the greatest legacy of the Beatles?

ledsabbath

Hi everyone. Now, I'm not a fan of The Beatles. But of course, heaps of people are. Now, there are a number of legacies we could associate with The Beatles. You could say that they were the world's first supergroup, and ushered in that phenomenon. You could argue that they made contemporary music common place in the world. It can't be argued that they were influencers of so many musicians, like Ozzy Osbourne who wanted to be in a band because of The Beatles. There were of course societal/religious challenges that they presented, which threw them into both adulation and conflict.

I would argue a much "deeper" legacy of The Beatles. One that I was astounded to learn in university.

I could give a hint, but it might make it too obvious. Let me say this. What I regard as the greatest legacy of The Beatles really shows what you are on the inside. Hence, my "deeper" emphasis in quotation marks.

Do you know what I'm referring to? I'll give some of you a chance to figure it out. I'm sure someone will. On the off chance that no one gets it, I'll post a reply with the answer.

The diversity of meanings and messages in their music, which keep them ever so popular still today. They Beatles were universal. So tell us what you have learned.

Edit: I am a long time Beatles lover, didn't mean to leave that out.

Ha ha ha. Nooooo!!! This is going to be so much fun. Everyone guessing and going crazy. Love it. But nice try.

Again, keep all those posts flowing. Now, I'm going to my folks for a day and a half. And they have no computer, (ugh!!). So I'll look forward to reading all these crazy and wild responses. But as I say, you'll be really surprised at the answer. Trust me, you would have never guessed it in a hundred years.

Hi everyone. Now, I'm not a fan of The Beatles. But of course, heaps of people are. Now, there are a number of legacies we could associate with The Beatles. You could say that they were the world's first supergroup, and ushered in that phenomenon. You could argue that they made contemporary music common place in the world. It can't be argued that they were influencers of so many musicians, like Ozzy Osbourne who wanted to be in a band because of The Beatles. There were of course societal/religious challenges that they presented, which threw them into both adulation and conflict.

I would argue a much "deeper" legacy of The Beatles. One that I was astounded to learn in university.

I could give a hint, but it might make it too obvious. Let me say this. What I regard as the greatest legacy of The Beatles really shows what you are on the inside. Hence, my "deeper" emphasis in quotation marks.

Do you know what I'm referring to? I'll give some of you a chance to figure it out. I'm sure someone will. On the off chance that no one gets it, I'll post a reply with the answer.

When the Beatles arrived in 1963/64 there was a paradigm shift in how PEOPLE behaved. The world seemed to have changed overnight and forever.

Ah, is this to do with the guy who invented the CT scanner being funded by EMI in the 1960's, presumably in part on the proceeds of Beatles record sales? B)

This looks the likely winner! I was going to hazard this wild guess that one of The Beatles secretly donated a kidney or something..and the person is still alive today :lol:

Must say that the ONLY band that someone can make a legit argument for as being the best of all time other than Led Zeppelin is the Beatles. These two are in a league of their own. And when I hear people say they arent a fan of the Beatles, it ticks me off. They are the greatest band of all time for short pop hit songs. They are the only band I can think of that could reach any age group. The Beatles and Led Zeppelinn to me are the two greatest bands ever-even though I love the Stones and the Who just as much as the Beatles and place Zepp alone at the top. The only band that someone could come up to me and say they are the best other than Zeppelin, and I couldnt argue, is the Beatles.

There is no "best band of all time". It's all a matter of opinion. I have favorite artists but I would never proclaim any of them to be the "best of all time". That's different for nearly everyone, as it should be.

Ah, is this to do with the guy who invented the CT scanner being funded by EMI in the 1960's, presumably in part on the proceeds of Beatles record sales? B)

Since they never released "Leave My Kitten Alone" in the 1960's, it must have been from the proceeds of "Hey Bulldog".

There is no "best band of all time". It's all a matter of opinion. I have favorite artists but I would never proclaim any of them to be the "best of all time". That's different for nearly everyone, as it should be.

I've noticed ICQYB is always putting things in numerical order. For example, Emerson is the best keyboard player, then Billy Joel etc, etc, etc. Bonham is the best drummer followed by Ringo Starr and Geezer Butler. Bizarre.

I've noticed ICQYB is always putting things in numerical order. For example, Emerson is the best keyboard player, then Billy Joel etc, etc, etc. Bonham is the best drummer followed by Ringo Starr and Geezer Butler. Bizarre.

Like Richard Rockstro is the greatest flautist next to Ian Anderson!

I'm back. And as Jethro Tull says,

We have a winner!!!!!

I was going to say here is a clue: that I'm a radiographer, but that would have made it too easy.

That really surprised me, that the development of the CT scanner, (or as some of you may know it, a CAT scan) was made possible by the research and science division of EMI, funded by the large profits made possible by The Beatles. In fact, the earliest CT machines were known as an "EMI scanner".

Here is a wikipedia link about the CT scanner, you can read about the early development and The Beatles and EMI involvement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT_scan

Well done Hot Dog. How did you find out btw?

Here I was thinking it was something important! ;)

Weren't the Beatles on Parlophone Records prior to Apple?

Yeah, imaging inside the body, diagnosing disorders and saving lives comes second to whatever else. :rolleyes: Methinks however you were not serious. :D

So The Beatles indirectly helped develop this:

CT-Scan.jpg

That gives you pictures inside the body like this:

ct_thorax.jpg

And this:

CT-Brain-9541.jpg

A CT is an incredible machine. I really respect the geniuses who developed it. There are some incredibly complex mathematics that goes into it. I studied it a little in university, and even that 0.00001% of it that I learnt, it went over my head, as almost everyone else in my class.

This is one of the things that pisses me off most about todays society: celebrity worship. So many idiots out there are so fascinated by their favourite dumbass celebrity, and all their ins and outs of every little detail of their shallow lives, whilst other people out there that are neither rich nor famous are designing and building incredible machines, structures etc. My heroes are not morons like Paris Hilton and dumbass fat loud mouthed pseudo life guru, fucking Oprah and shit like that.

My heroes are those that invented and designed things such as the CT machine, jumbo jets, satellites etc. Isn't that typical of our dumbass consumer society? Worship the idiot that makes millions off idiocy, whilst true geniuses equal IMO to Einsteen and Newton are not known, earning an ordinary wage. So typical.

Anyhoo, here's a question for you. Why is this scanner called a "CT" scan whereas previously it was known as a "CAT" scan?

In fact, 2 of my uni lecturers said that their biggest gripe was calling this a CAT scan. "It's not a CAT scan, you don't scan cats with it", they used to always so.

So why the change from CAT to CT?

And btw, yes I know that I'm derailing this thead. But that's okay, because it's my thread, I started it. So I can derail it if I want to.

Must say that the ONLY band that someone can make a legit argument for as being the best of all time other than Led Zeppelin is the Beatles. These two are in a league of their own. And when I hear people say they arent a fan of the Beatles, it ticks me off. They are the greatest band of all time for short pop hit songs. They are the only band I can think of that could reach any age group. The Beatles and Led Zeppelinn to me are the two greatest bands ever-even though I love the Stones and the Who just as much as the Beatles and place Zepp alone at the top. The only band that someone could come up to me and say they are the best other than Zeppelin, and I couldnt argue, is the Beatles.

I agree with you man! ;)

And people says that you're wrong to put things in order, but I don't think so... It's logical! I can't do It, cause It's hard and i can't make a TOP 20 of my favourite bands, but the betters are Zep and Beatles of course.

I agree with you man! ;)

And people says that you're wrong to put things in order, but I don't think so... It's logical! I can't do It, cause It's hard and i can't make a TOP 20 of my favourite bands, but the betters are Zep and Beatles of course.

It all boils down to a matter of opinion, not fact. Everyone has their own favorite artist.

In regards to the thread, while I believe the CT scanner thing is a nice bit of trivia, the Beatles' actual legacy is their music.

It all boils down to a matter of opinion, not fact. Everyone has their own favorite artist.

In regards to the thread, while I believe the CT scanner thing is a nice bit of trivia, the Beatles' actual legacy is their music.

It's triviality in comparison with all the legacy. I know that everyone has their own favourite artist and I don't think that ICQB and me are going agaist your opinion. We are just showing our opinion. I think that you are going against the freedom of choose...

It's triviality in comparison with all the legacy. I know that everyone has their own favourite artist and I don't think that ICQB and me are going agaist your opinion. We are just showing our opinion. I think that you are going against the freedom of choose...

I never said there's no freedom of choice, I said it doesn't boil down to a hard, cold fact that any one group is the best of all time. That said, my favorite artist of all time is the Beatles.

I never said there's no freedom of choice, I said it doesn't boil down to a hard, cold fact that any one group is the best of all time. That said, my favorite artist of all time is the Beatles.

And I think he is free to make the choice. Why not?

And I think he is free to make the choice. Why not?

Perhaps you aren't thoroughly reading my posts before replying but I'll repeat this one more time, I never said he didn't have freedom of choice. What I take issue with are statements where it's presented as fact that one artist is the greatest of all time. It's not a fact that any one artist is the best of all time, it's a matter of opinion.

Perhaps you aren't thoroughly reading my posts before replying but I'll repeat this one more time, I never said he didn't have freedom of choice. What I take issue with are statements where it's presented as fact that one artist is the greatest of all time. It's not a fact that any one artist is the best of all time, it's a matter of opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with that.

Bye B)

Archived