Every little bit, every little bit…

Y’know how there’s always just one bit in every song that either makes it a really great one or a complete flop (in your mind, anyway)? Well, share.

I always love the bit in “Out on the Tiles” when Jimmy (I think it’s Jimmy, someone will correct me if it isn’t) says “stop” at the start of the second verse - it just sounds cool. If you can avoid saying that bit out loud if/when you sing along, I recommend you seek medical attention immediately.

HMMT - just after the “Beck’s Bolero” bit, Robert does a really quiet kind of moan in the background; adds to the overall creepy and foreboding, yet sexy, vibe of the song. BUT I always turn the sound off just for the line “and I’m in constant heaven” - the worst rhyme in the history of songwriting (okay, don’t take that literally…)

During “That’s the Way”, the thing that makes me cry - is not the lyrics, because I’d still cry if “Hot Dog” was set to the same backing (there’s a thought) - is the steel guitar, especially in the last few verses…if I listen with headphones on I just start bawling.

“Four Sticks” - would be my favourite track on LZIV if it wasn’t for the girly “ooh-ooh-ooh” vocals in the outro…

“Ramble On” - the whole “I’m looking for my bluebird” bit in the outro - my favourite part, but if it was in the main part of the song I don’t think it’d have the same effect.

“Down by the Seaside” - wouldn’t be nearly as nauseating if it wasn’t for the line “knowin’ where they’re goin’”. Aaaaahahahaha.

Will add to the list when I think of some more!

There's a bit near that Jimmy usually plays near the beginning of the second SIBLY solo. I'm not a musician, but I THINK it's sweep-picked. It occurs at around 4:04 on the track on the 1990 box set (which I assume is the same running length as Zep III), and can be heard in between 4:12 - 4:14 on HTWWW. That little bit is one of my favorite musical things I have ever heard.

Not that the song wouldn't be a great one without that bit, but it makes it ten times better.

There's a bit near that Jimmy usually plays near the beginning of the second SIBLY solo. I'm not a musician, but I THINK it's sweep-picked. It occurs at around 4:04 on the track on the 1990 box set (which I assume is the same running length as Zep III), and can be heard in between 4:12 - 4:14 on HTWWW. That little bit is one of my favorite musical things I have ever heard.

Not that the song wouldn't be a great one without that bit, but it makes it ten times better.

It's not necessarily a sweep pick, more like a rake - not sure what I would call it. But yes, a great moment. I also love the part he plays on the turnaround (first heard at 0:48) and on TSRTS, the first 20 seconds after the quick solo at the start are just great.

What he did in the 02 was great too, now when I listen to other recordings, in my head I can hear the different things Jimmy did.

Hey! How 'bout in SIBLY when JPJ does that awesome little blues turn on the organ- towards the end when RP is singing, "Don't you hear them fallin' (cool organ part), don't you hear them faaaaalin'"

I just love watching Jimmy play guitar. I'm thankful for bootleg DVD's that circulate out there. Jimmy, at times looks like he's beating the shit out of the guitar. He's in total command, it's a beautiful thing.

He's graceful on acoustic and a monster on the electric...it doesn't get better then that.

I was lucky to be at the June 7th, 1977 show at MSG. I think that's as close to heaven I'll ever get!

Paid $40 for a $10.50 ticket...best $40 I ever spent.

im sure everyone knows this one...before the guitar starts off the song in "immigrant song" the small noice that sounds like "fffffft fffffft ffffffft" like building up the suspence i love love love that

Yeah, what is that, anyway? I love that.

One thing I think is pretty funny is before The Ocean starts, too. When I first got that album, I cranked it up to hear what he was saying, and then BLAMMO! The song started, and I jumped right off the floor like I had touched an electric fence.

STH

the kinda "fanfare" lead-in/segue from after "your stairway lies on the whispering wind" to the solo

dah-dah-dahhhh, dah-dah-dahhh, dah-dah-dahhh-dahhh-dahhh

NEVER fails to give me goosebumps.

then the guitar after each of the lines -

"Who shines white light and wants to show"

"How evrything still turns to gold"

"And if you listen very hard"

also the drums after "The tune will come to you at last"

and "When all are one and one is all"

and how the drums finish up after "To be a rock and not to roll"

:lolo: I always say how Stairway is so great but not necessarily my favorite Zep tune, but when it comes to goosebumps, it's got to be number 1.

BIGLY

when he wails "bay bay bay bay bay bay baby, baby I don't wanna leave you."

pure raw sex/emotion

Nobody's Fault But Mine

the single drumbeat at 6:08

and the harmonica solo - better than most bands' guitar solos.

and of course 5:01 - 5:29

Achilles' Last Stand

3:29 the 4 measures leading into The Solo (yeah, that one is ALWAYS capitalized)

the 2 chords at 3:47

the sustained note from 4:26-:27

4:28-:31

OK, this is too complicated for a non-guitarist

but certain notes throughout the solo cut through my very soul.

especially 4:26 - 4:49

yeah, ALS is my absolute unshakeable favorite LZ song.

For Your Life

most underrated solo ever. goosebumps

TSRTS - Dazed and confused 3:27 "you hurt and abuse tellin' all of your lies, lies..."

solo around 5:05 - 5:21 intense rapid licks are spine-tingling

'if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair..."

his voice again is pure sex.

6:55 - 7:17 "I know, I know, I know..." the intensity is an even distribution of all 4 members at this point.

9:22 - the beginning of the bow pounding

In The Evening

3:43 - the stuttering guitar lick that explodes into the solo, repeated at 4:01

I should stop now.

:lolo: I always say how Stairway is so great but not necessarily my favorite Zep tune, but when it comes to goosebumps, it's got to be number 1.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's not my favorite song ever, by any stretch, but damn, does it hit you hard.

Thought of another one:

In the studio version of Achilles Last Stand, around 4:11-4:15. It's Page's response lick to Bonzo's first wave of those 16 titantic drums hits (the tail end of the lick overlaps with Bonzo's second wave). I've yet to hear a live version of Achilles Last Stand which has the same lick. The version on the DVD sounds sloppy as hell, nothing like the original bit.

Yeah, what is that, anyway? I love that.

It's a drum track played backwards.

And Cactus, I would go with "rake". A "sweep" is when the notes are sounded, as in a arpeggio. A "rake" is when the strings are (to a degree) muted, so you just get the texture. :beer:

“Down by the Seaside” - wouldn’t be nearly as nauseating if it wasn’t for the line “knowin’ where they’re goin’”. Aaaaahahahaha.

The "aaaaahahaahaaa" combined with the guitar are the key nautical elements to the song. The swaying and movement of the water. You have the view of society vs. nature... same sort of thing is going on in -thats the way i think. and maybe plant's -fat lip, from what i remember.

even though alot of people dont like the song "the crunge" (i love it) you have to of noticed that before the drum beet starts you can hear bonzo say "if you like it" i love that

and at the beginging of tongerine the little guitar before the long pause i love that

The scream at the end of 'I'm Gonna Crawl' never fails to give me chills.

The middle part of 'Ten Years Gone' when Robert sings 'did you ever really need somebody and really need them bad? Did you ever really love somebody, the best love you ever had. Do you ever remember me baby, didn't it feel so good. Cause it was just the first time and you knew it would.'

'No Quarter' solo from TSRTS

The little intake of breath in The Ocean just before it kicks back into the verse is great (after the vocal-only bridge section)

Jonesy's mandolin part on Going To California is just great too.

I agree with the 'stop' part in Out On The Tiles as well, however that song i have to say was poorly recorded. It had a great Bonzo drum track which is so muted in the mix and too much echo, and it has a somewhat awful guitar sound from Page. If it had been re-done, i think that song would've been more popular.

i have to totally agree with the solo on "ITE", when Page slowly releases the whammy bar on the strat at the opening of the solo, its an otherworldly sound, kinda creepy, no doubt makes the hair on my neck stand up even after all these years.

also, the intro and outro to ALS is quite beautiful and dramatic.

In My Tme Of Dying: Bonzo right after "and I see them in the streets"

In the Evening: Opening of the solo

Kashmir: The strings in general... jsut amazing!

I see that there's no real moments that really make anybody cringe, other than the ones the original poster had, which don't even make me cringe. But anyway....

The ending of All My Love, where Robert's singing "I'm getting a little bit lonely.... just a little bit..." is just pure awesomeness. It's even better on the original ending of the song, which I think they shouldn't have cut out.

Also, when my dad first popped in our old Zeppeln Early Days compilation in our car radio, when I've never heard a Zeppelin song, and Good Times Bad Times started up, I would've jumped out of my seat had the seat belt not been on. It was the loudest and heaviest thing I've ever heard at that time.

Archived