AC/DC

Xtazy

More or less! ;)

Considering the question ("My dad said that back in his day, AC/DC was considered punk rock. Does anyone else agree?") was directly related to AC/DC I fail to see how the discussion of it was "off-topic". It's even an aspect of AC/DC that's covered in the Heavy: The Story of Metal documentary.

Considering the question ("My dad said that back in his day, AC/DC was considered punk rock. Does anyone else agree?") was directly related to AC/DC I fail to see how the discussion of it was "off-topic". It's even an aspect of AC/DC that's covered in the Heavy: The Story of Metal documentary.

Well I was there back in the day and they were definitely not Punk, Glam perhaps.

This is with the original singer Dave Evans.

Bon joined shortly after and while the "second phase" with Bon was noticebly harder and louder they were not and have never been, Punk Rock.

They may have been "punks" in the street sense but not "New Wave" and deinitely not

"Heavy Metal", even though they made references to satan and hell et al.

Personally, I believe the "third phase" with Brian (I loved Geordie), was a more dynamic stage show with props and gimmicky effects.

They are and aways have been a Rock 'N" Roll band more aligned to Chuck Berry than The Sex Pistols and others of that ilk.

Ask Keith Richards.

Just because someone writes about it or produces documentaries which projects their opinions and interpretations, doesn't make it so.

Well I was there back in the day and they were definitely not Punk, Glam perhaps.

This is with the original singer Dave Evans.

Bon joined shortly after and while the "second phase" with Bon was noticebly harder and louder they were not and have never been, Punk Rock.

They may have been "punks" in the street sense but not "New Wave" and deinitely not

"Heavy Metal", even though they made references to satan and hell et al.

Personally, I believe the "third phase" with Brian (I loved Geordie), was a more dynamic stage show with props and gimmicky effects.

They are and aways have been a Rock 'N" Roll band more aligned to Chuck Berry than The Sex Pistols and others of that ilk.

Ask Keith Richards.

Just because someone writes about it or produces documentaries which projects their opinions and interpretations, doesn't make it so.

You'd be wise to go back and read that part of the discussion (which wasn't off-topic, if it was then you're now also off-topic) before replying because I was never trying to make the point that they were a punk rock band. What was discussed is how I could see how someone could have that perception of them. I say that from a firsthand account, having seen them in concert myself prior to Bon Scott dying. I never said that "Just because someone writes about it or produces documentaries which projects their opinions and interpretations" made it "so".

You'd be wise to go back and read that part of the discussion (which wasn't off-topic, if it was then you're now also off-topic) before replying because I was never trying to make the point that they were a punk rock band. What was discussed is how I could see how someone could have that perception of them. I say that from a firsthand account, having seen them in concert myself prior to Bon Scott dying. I never said that "Just because someone writes about it or produces documentaries which projects their opinions and interpretations" made it "so".

I have read every post in this thread and obviously some contributors lack a sense of humour or need punctuation marks and emoticons to spell out when it is a joke and even then they don't get it.

Where did I say you said they were punk, if I recall it was your father?

Nor did I say you said anything about my last comment, clearly I was referring to the documentary that you quoted.

Yes, people have perceived them as Punk Rock, however misguided they may be.

I thought we were having a discussion not an argument.

I've yet to see the current line up as I was reluctant to after Bon left us, I may change my mind this time around.

With a couple of exceptions there new repertoire and new (vocal) versions of old songs just doesn't move me the same way as when Bon was up front.

They were and still are Hard Rock, period.

One of the best gigs I ever saw was at The Bondi Lifesaver when Angus and Bon joined Rose Tattoo (who would arguably be closer to punk than AC/DC) on stage and belted out old Rock "N' Roll classics by the aforementioned Chuck Berry (whom I was fortunate enough to be on stage with, but that's another story), and others.

Cheers.

Edited by Reggie29

I have read every post in this thread and obviously some contributors lack a sense of humour or need punctuation marks and emoticons to spell out when it is a joke and even then they don't get it.

Where did I say you said they were punk, if I recall it was your father?

You didn't say that in so many words but when your reply to one of my posts was this: "Well I was there back in the day and they were definitely not Punk, Glam perhaps" I certainly got the impression you thought I was trying to make the point that AC/DC were punk rock. As for the second part of your question, it goes to show you actually haven't read every post in this thread as I never said a thing about my Dad, it was Broken Levee that mentioned that.

I thought we were having a discussion not an argument.

Well, we were until you said the discussion had gotten off topic.

It's even an aspect of AC/DC that's covered in the Heavy: The Story of Metal documentary.

I have watched this show several times and it did say that people didn't know how to classify AC/DC when they first performed, and some people thought that they were a Punk band.

I guess that I can understand this, the way Angus bounces and bobs around, kind of like the way that the Punk Rockers dance? But the music doesn't seem "Punk" to me, but maybe their performance was kind of "Punkish"? Does this make sense?

I guess that I can understand this, the way Angus bounces and bobs around, kind of like the way that the Punk Rockers dance? But the music doesn't seem "Punk" to me, but maybe their performance was kind of "Punkish"? Does this make sense?

As I previously mentioned, it was their very raw, primeval approach to rock n' roll that they had in common with punk rock, plus the audiences' reaction to them.

You didn't say that in so many words but when your reply to one of my posts was this: "Well I was there back in the day and they were definitely not Punk, Glam perhaps" I certainly got the impression you thought I was trying to make the point that AC/DC were punk rock. As for the second part of your question, it goes to show you actually haven't read every post in this thread as I never said a thing about my Dad, it was Broken Levee that mentioned that.

Well, we were until you said the discussion had gotten off topic.

Fair call, but you paraphrased Levee's comment and it was an unfortunate oversight on my part and yes, although I HAVE read every post unfortunately my memory failed me on this occasion.

As for your impression, you thought wrong.

Suffice to say the topic is about the band and not specifically about whether they were Punk or not.

This is the first post of this thread by Xtazy and no mention of Punk anywhere.

I was wondering if any of you are AC/DC fans as well?

Zepp and AC/DC are my favorite bands at this very moment and I could listen to their songs for days.

Which are your fav. AC/DC songs?

Did you see any of their concerts?

What do you think about AC/DC's guitarist, Angus Young?

Do you think Bon Scott was better than Brian Johnson?

Discuss anything related to AC/DC!

So in this context all boxes have been ticked and AC/DC are repetitive Hard Rock, period.

Buckeye Doc mentioned Angus' movements around the stage which includes his blatant "borrowing" of Chuck Berry's duck walk and the Curly (Three Stooges) body spin, are hardly "Punk" moves.

Bobbing up and down by the audience was a result of crowded floor areas near the stage (now called "Mosh Pits") that restricted movement and "dancing".

Jimmy Page used to do frenetic antics on stage (those who have actually seen him live will know what I mean), was that "Punk" too?

All the things defined as Rock up until the mid seventies was purely showmanship and the so called "Dinosaurs" and the music they played were the catalyst for the advent of "Punk / New Wave" as we now know it.

IMO the only reason AC/DC were so successful in Oz and then globally was that Angus and Malcolm had the good fortune of being related to The Easy Beats.

George Young who was instrumental in getting them a recording contract in Sydney certainly helped their cause and back then their music was as you said, raw.

There were a lot of good bands that should have enjoyed the same success but didn't, Buffalo comes to mind.

I'm intrested to know exactly how much you know of other Australian bands excluding AC/DC, iNXS and Midnight oil etc?

Fair call, but you paraphrased Levee's comment and it was an unfortunate oversight on my part and yes, although I HAVE read every post unfortunately my memory failed me on this occasion.

I didn't paraphrase anyone, I used a direct quote from Broken Levee.

As for your impression, you thought wrong.

If I "thought wrong" why are you still going on and on about how AC/DC are not punk?

Suffice to say the topic is about the band and not specifically about whether they were Punk or not.

I think it's perfectly inline for someone to ask if they were ever thought of as "punk" whether it was a question posed in the first post or not. The question isn't about some other artist, it's about AC/DC.

This is the first post of this thread by Xtazy and no mention of Punk anywhere.

I was wondering if any of you are AC/DC fans as well?

Zepp and AC/DC are my favorite bands at this very moment and I could listen to their songs for days.

Which are your fav. AC/DC songs?

Did you see any of their concerts?

What do you think about AC/DC's guitarist, Angus Young?

Do you think Bon Scott was better than Brian Johnson?

So in this context all boxes have been ticked and AC/DC are repetitive Hard Rock, period.

Below, you ask me about what other Australian artists I'm familiar with. I don't see that question listed in your repost of Xtazy's first post in this thread above. If those are indeed the perimeters you've set for this thread aren't you now too "off-topic"? I never said AC/DC weren't hard rock. Broken Levee posed the question about them being considered punk rock, I merely attempted to answer the question. I also pointed out how this aspect of AC/DC is not uncommon as it is also touched upon in Heavy: The Story of Metal.

Buckeye Doc mentioned Angus' movements around the stage which includes his blatant "borrowing" of Chuck Berry's duck walk and the Curly (Three Stooges) body spin, are hardly "Punk" moves.

Bobbing up and down by the audience was a result of crowded floor areas near the stage (now called "Mosh Pits") that restricted movement and "dancing".

That's all well and good but for someone that's apparently not trying to make the point that AC/DC were never considered punk rock you're not doing a very good job.

Jimmy Page used to do frenetic antics on stage (those who have actually seen him live will know what I mean), was that "Punk" too?

No one is trying to say AC/DC are punk. However, there are some who've cited the video for Communication Breakdown that appears on the Led Zeppelin DVD as being "proto-punk". Punk is also more than stage movements or even a sound, most of all it is an attitude. None of which anyone is trying to assign to AC/DC.

I'm intrested to know exactly how much you know of other Australian bands excluding AC/DC, iNXS and Midnight oil etc?

Considering you're so concerned about this thread getting off-topic, that is a particularly odd question to ask but I'll do my best to answer it even though it doesn't have a thing to do with AC/DC. Off the top of my head I know of Cold Chisel, Kasey Chambers, the Hoodoo Gurus, You Am I, Died Pretty, the Divinyls, Nick Cave, Billy Thorpe, The Church, the Go-Betweens, Paul Kelly and the Messengers and Radio Birdman, to name but a few.

God, every time I say anything, people try so hard to prove my opinion wrong. And I didn't even say I thought they were punk, I said my Dad told me they were. But thanks for trying to defend me Jahfin.

No problem but I'm not really trying to defend you as I'm sure you're fully capable of doing that yourself. I just don't see how posing the question is off-topic. No matter what questions were asked in the first post that's not to say no one can ask other questions. Your question had to do with AC/DC and is a perfectly legitimate one to have asked.

I was wondering if any of you are AC/DC fans as well? Zepp and AC/DC are my favorite bands at this very moment and I could listen to their songs for days.

Which are your fav. AC/DC songs? Did you see any of their concerts? What do you think about AC/DC's guitarist, Angus Young? Do you think Bon Scott was better than Brian Johnson?

Angus Young and Brian Johnson are both very nice people and excellent in concert. I did not ever see Bon Scott live in concert, but I understand that he was also quite good. Angus Young likes to eat chocolate after a show. I have seen them a few times, and last saw them in July, 2003 at Downsview.

Thunderstruck

You Shook Me All Night Long

Whole Lotta Rosie

and

Rock Me Baby

are probably my favorite songs.

Edited by eternal light

I didn't paraphrase anyone, I used a direct quote from Broken Levee.

Whatever.

If I "thought wrong" why are you still going on and on about how AC/DC are not punk?

I'm saying, I don't consider them as being punk.

I think it's perfectly inline for someone to ask if they were ever thought of as "punk" whether it was a question posed in the first post or not. The question isn't about some other artist, it's about AC/DC.

Fine, I gave my opinion.

Below, you ask me about what other Australian artists I'm familiar with. I don't see that question listed in your repost of Xtazy's first post in this thread above. If those are indeed the perimeters you've set for this thread aren't you now too "off-topic"? I never said AC/DC weren't hard rock. Broken Levee posed the question about them being considered punk rock, I merely attempted to answer the question. I also pointed out how this aspect of AC/DC is not uncommon as it is also touched upon in Heavy: The Story of Metal.

That would be, "parameters".

I couldn't give a toss about anyone going off topic, it's called freedom of speech.

Just curious and name me one thread on this or any other forum that doesn't go off topic now and again.

I never said it was a bad thing only made an observation.

That's all well and good but for someone that's apparently not trying to make the point that AC/DC were never considered punk rock you're not doing a very good job.

Wrong again, I agree that some people do consider them as being punk.

I don't.

No one is trying to say AC/DC are punk. However, there are some who've cited the video for Communication Breakdown that appears on the Led Zeppelin DVD as being "proto-punk". Punk is also more than stage movements or even a sound, most of all it is an attitude. None of which anyone is trying to assign to AC/DC.

Just like no-one is trying to say Zep are metal or is that "proto-metal"?

Actually "punk / new wave" was all about rebelling against the so called dinosaurs of the day, you know, what rock 'n' roll did all those years ago so "the attitude" was nothing new.

There we go, off topic again!

Considering you're so concerned about this thread getting off-topic, that is a particularly odd question to ask but I'll do my best to answer it even though it doesn't have a thing to do with AC/DC. Off the top of my head I know of Cold Chisel, Kasey Chambers, the Hoodoo Gurus, You Am I, Died Pretty, the Divinyls, Nick Cave, Billy Thorpe, The Church, the Go-Betweens, Paul Kelly and the Messengers and Radio Birdman, to name but a few.

Once again just curious, perhaps it deserves its own thread.

Interestingly, with the exception of Billy Thorpe most of the bands are post '70's.

Broken Levee has nothing to defend, a question was asked and answered.

One of the best gigs I ever saw was at The Bondi Lifesaver when Angus and Bon joined Rose Tattoo (who would arguably be closer to punk than AC/DC) on stage and belted out old Rock "N' Roll classics by the aforementioned Chuck Berry (whom I was fortunate enough to be on stage with, but that's another story), and others.

Cheers.

I'm all ears to hear that story mate ;)

AC/DC Show Business Is Big Business

by Paul Cashmere - May 26 2009

2.3% of Australia`s population bought an AC/DC ticket yesterday. There are 21 million people in Australia and half a million will see Acca Dacca next year.

Credit crunch? Not in AC/DC land. With more than 500,000 tickets sold in Australia yesterday that created a cash flow of more than $60 million.

Ticketing agency Ticketek reported that the sales made history. In the 30 years that the company has been around, that was the most ticket sales in one day for one act ever.

In Sydney, you could not get a ticket for the first show after 12 minutes.

At the peak of demand and capacity, 3,400 tickets were being sold per minute.

AC/DC dates are:

Feb 11, 13 and 15, Melbourne, Etihad Stadium

Feb 18, 20 and 22, Sydney, ANZ Stadium

Feb 25 and 27, Brisbane, QSAC

March 2, Adelaide, Adelaide Oval

March 6 and 8, Perth, Subiaco

I'm saying, I don't consider them as being punk.

I think we get that already.

I couldn't give a toss about anyone going off topic, it's called freedom of speech.

I'm not questioning one's freedom of speech. I'm referring to your "back on topic" comment when this discussion was never off-topic to start with.

Just curious and name me one thread on this or any other forum that doesn't go off topic now and again.

My point exactly. In case you forgot, you're the one that mentioned this thread going off-topic.

Actually "punk / new wave" was all about rebelling against the so called dinosaurs of the day, you know, what rock 'n' roll did all those years ago so "the attitude" was nothing new.

That's only one aspect of punk, it wasn't what it was all about. There was much more to it than just rebelling against the older, more established artists of the day. It was anti-authoritarian in nature but rock artists that had grown excessive weren't their only target.

I'm not questioning one's freedom of speech. I'm referring to your "back on topic" comment when this discussion was never off-topic to start with.

If we're getting into pedantics, I actually wrote "Back to topic".

My point exactly. In case you forgot, you're the one that mentioned this thread going off-topic.

My response to your "We were off topic?" remark was, "More or less". ;)

A joke.

That's only one aspect of punk, it wasn't what it was all about. There was much more to it than just rebelling against the older, more established artists of the day. It was anti-authoritarian in nature but rock artists that had grown excessive weren't their only target.

Yeah, rebels without a clue!!

Seeing as this topic is about music and specifically AC/DC, then any other reasons for "punk" are moot points.

Suffice to say, AC/DC has out lived "punk".

Yeah, rebels without a clue!!

I'm not even a fan of punk but thank goodness it came along when it did as rock n' roll needed a swift kick in the ass.

Seeing as this topic is about music and specifically AC/DC, then any other reasons for "punk" are moot points.

It's part of the discussion. If you're that worried about this thread getting off topic then why ask me about what other Australian artists I know of?

Suffice to say, AC/DC has out lived "punk".

Punk rock is still very much alive and well in 2009 and I don't mean Green Day.

It's part of the discussion. If you're that worried about this thread getting off topic then why ask me about what other Australian artists I know of?

WTF??? I never worry about anything, least of all getting off topic.

Why don't you just let it go? I have.

Punk rock is still very much alive and well in 2009 and I don't mean Green Day.

Not in my household, not back then and not now.

I have always liked Marquee Moon by Television and The Tubes though.

Green Day, My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine (all of which I am most familiar with), are, as my 15 year old daughter informs me, Emoh.

I've seen and heard Scary Kids Scaring Kids live, unusual to say the least.

Green Day, My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine (all of which I am most familiar with), are, as my 15 year old daughter informs me, Emoh.

I have no idea what "Emoh" is but you might wanna let her know Green Day are not now, nor have they ever been "Emo". I wouldn't call them "punk". "Mall punk" or "bubblegum punk" maybe but definitely not true punk like Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, etc. Who knew but they're actually getting some critical accolades for their newest opus, 21st Century Breakdown.

As for Emo, it's yet another term that's been misappropriated. Actual Emo refers to the Washington, DC hardcore scene that was popular back in the 80s that spawned bands such as Fugazi, Rites of Spring and Embrace. It has nothing at all to do with today's eyeliner wearing bands.