AC/DC

Xtazy

I have no idea what "Emoh" is but you might wanna let her know Green Day are not now, nor have they ever been "Emo". I wouldn't call them "punk". "Mall punk" or "bubblegum punk" maybe but definitely not true punk like Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, etc. Who knew but they're actually getting some critical accolades for their newest opus, 21st Century Breakdown.

There goes their credibility!

Emoh is Home backwards and it doesn't show up in spell check!

Another gag slipped through to the keeper!

Yet another example of "labels" being applied incorrectly and grouping bands together out of context.

Who regarded them as "punk" certainly not me?

Of the modern bands I quite like Green Day because the are not afraid to play different styles and not just t(h)rash music.

As for Emo, it's yet another term that's been misappropriated. Actual Emo refers to the Washington, DC hardcore scene that was popular back in the 80s that spawned bands such as Fugazi, Rites of Spring and Embrace. It has nothing at all to do with today's eyeliner wearing bands.

Who cares?

All these labels are created by the media anyway to try and pigeon hole or create a genre.

As Buddy Rich once said, " There are only two types of music, good and bad."

I cant stand ACDC, their music is heady and not really refined.In comparison,Led Zeppelin is like Mozart or Vivaldi, it ' s not the same planet actually.

I'm not sure what you mean by "heady" in this context as I've always understood it to be a good thing. As for AC/DC's music not being refined, I think that's always been the point and it's probably what they do best. I'm far from their biggest fan but if I want to listen to something that just flat out rocks, I reach for an AC/DC record. While I'd never mistake an AC/DC song for one by Led Zeppelin (or vice versa), I believe Zeppelin definitely have some tunes that would fall into the brash, raw and bawdy category that AC/DC seems to specialize in.

In regards to terms like emo, thrash, hardcore, punk, screamo, etc. I agree somewhat about labeling music but it's also a necessary evil so there can be a way to describe music to others.

As Buddy Rich once said, " There are only two types of music, good and bad."

...and as the late, great Townes Van Zandt once said, "there's two kinds of songs. The blues and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah."

Edited by Jahfin

In regards to terms like emo, thrash, hardcore, punk, screamo, etc. I agree somewhat about labeling music but it's also a necessary evil so there can be a way to describe music to others.

...and as the late, great Townes Van Zandt once said, "there's two kinds of songs. The blues and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah."

Call me old fashioned but I always used the band or singers unique sound to define the music they played.

You can certainly tell the difference between Led Zeppelin and The Beatles and so on usually within the first ten seconds of the piece of music.

Nowadays (because it can all be a bit sounds alike), I guess there's no other way to discern between them, more's the pity.

Without naming names there are some bands I'd label "Junk Rock"! :o

At least they try.

Call me old fashioned but I always used the band or singers unique sound to define the music they played.

I'm referring not just to the genres and subgenres I mentioned previously but also broader musical categories such as rock n' roll, country, jazz, reggae, folk, bluegrass and so forth. They're all labels used to describe music.

You can certainly tell the difference between Led Zeppelin and The Beatles and so on usually within the first ten seconds of the piece of music.

Yes, you can but I would also categorize both as being rock n' roll music.

Nowadays (because it can all be a bit sounds alike), I guess there's no other way to discern between them, more's the pity.

I think that has always been true and is not just unique to today's music.

I'm referring not just to the genres and subgenres I mentioned previously but also broader musical categories such as rock n' roll, country, jazz, reggae, folk, bluegrass and so forth. They're all labels used to describe music.

Yes, you can but I would also categorize both as being rock n' roll music.

I think that has always been true and is not just unique to today's music.

Led Zeppelin in a nutshell! :D

It's all rock n roll but in times gone by and regardless of the musical styles you could tell who was playing the music because of their own peculiar sound.

Today when I hear a new band it's difficult for me to tell instantly who the band is because of the sameness, however, this does not apply to all new bands.

Green Day are an exception, easily recognisable.

No doubt about AC/DC's sound, whether they play old or new material you know who it is.

It's all rock n roll but in times gone by and regardless of the musical styles you could tell who was playing the music because of their own peculiar sound.

I think that's just as true today as it's ever been, it's not just confined to artists from the past.

Today when I hear a new band it's difficult for me to tell instantly who the band is because of the sameness, however, this does not apply to all new bands.

Green Day are an exception, easily recognisable.

Today, when I hear a new artist I may not know who it is simply because I'm not familiar with their music but then again that's always been true of any artist I'm new to whether it be the present or 30 years ago. I just don't think the sameness thing is anything new. Any time an artist has been successful, there's tons more waiting in the wings chomping at the bit to capitalize on that same sound.

No doubt about AC/DC's sound, whether they play old or new material you know who it is.

And for some that would be an insult but in AC/DC's case it may well be the ultimate compliment. What they do, they do well.

I was listening to AC/DC ages before.They were the first rock band I listened to,but now all my love goes to Led Zeppelin-they are simply the best. :notworthy:

However,I still like to play Highway to Hell sometimes.Bon Scott's voice is so unique.

Well Ms Honeydripper you dont strike me as the ACDC type. I like a few of their hits and play Back in Black on the guitar, but I must say, I doubt Id go out and buy and album or pay to see them live. To me they are more in the league of a Cheap Trick. Not as good as Rush, or Journey, or Black Sabbath/Ozzie or Aerosmith even. And not even on the same planet with the likes of Led Zeppelin. And if I did see them Id want to see the original. Now here comes a stupid question of the day. I cant remember how Bon Scott died? Can somene tell me???

ac/dc are 10 times better than aerosmith but everyone has different opinions my favourite ac/dc album has to be powerage or high voltage. and i think bon scott choked on his own vomit R.I.P Bon

P.S not as good as zepp ,sabbath or rush though :yourock::whistling::hippy:

Edited by Kashmir96

• 4 weeks later...

They did a great show last fri at Wembley, yes there music is much the same, but I find it hard to think of a better closer to a show than For those about to rock..

AC/DC myspace blog

Happy Birthday, Bon Scott...

Happy Birthday, Bon – you and your music are still very much in our hearts.

Gone, but definitely not forgotten. It’s hard to imagine the legendary AC/DC frontman approaching pension age, but Bon Scott would have turned 63 today if he was still with us.

Of course, tragically, it’s almost 30 years since we lost the great Bon at the age of only 33. But even today, people everywhere remember Bon in their own way.

There’s a plaque in the small town of Kirriemuir in Angus, Scotland, Bon’s birth place, that commemorates one of the town’s most famous sons. [it’s other most famous son is JM Barrie, author of Peter Pan.] In Fremantle, Bon’s adopted town outside Perth, there’s a big bronze statue of the singer.

Just this week, a hardcore fan in Fremantle has started up The Highway to Hell tour, which takes Acca Dacca fans to all the significant Bon-related places around Fremantle. It starts at the statue at Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour, then travels past Bon’s childhood home, his schools, Fremantle Prison [where the singer did a short stint], ending up at Bon's recently refurbished grave site in Fremantle Cemetery.

Over in New York a couple of weeks ago, a couple of Bon’s old notebooks – featuring his handwritten lyrics to 25 songs including utter classics like “High Voltage”, “TNT” and “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” – sold for $44,000 at Christie’s, the world’s most prestigious auction house.

Around the same time in Melbourne at this year’s APRA Awards, AC/DC’s 30-year old classic “Highway to Hell” won the prize for the Most Played Australian Work Overseas … for 2008!!!

Happy Birthday, Bon – you and your music are still very much in our hearts.

In commemoration, check out this video of Bon rocking out with his bagpipes...

ac/dc are 10 times better than aerosmith but everyone has different opinions my favourite ac/dc album has to be powerage or high voltage. and i think bon scott choked on his own vomit R.I.P Bon

P.S not as good as zepp ,sabbath or rush though :yourock::whistling::hippy:

ACDC never made any song like Dream on or Home Tonight, it's actually too difficult for them.

I saw AC/DC on January 5th. Angus looked more white-haired than usual but the show was top notch!

Wow, he must be aging :o !

Oh btw, I've spotted myself on a youtube clip from the OAKA Stadium show in Greece (May, 28th), during the song Anything Goes. It was pretty cool actually :D.

ACDC never made any song like Dream on or Home Tonight, it's actually too difficult for them.

AC/DC never wanted to make difficult songs, they weren't into that. Their music is full of energy, loud and simple. But millions of people find that awesome. I find it too.

Does anyone else find Jailbreak to be a really underrated song?

Yep. One of their best songs. It was originally included on the Australian version of the Dirty Deeds album, have absolutely no idea why it was left off the international version. It's crazy, considering it's probably the strongest song on there. I suppose it gets slightly forgotten hidden away on the 74' Jailbreak EP. They should have put it back into the new remastered CD of Dirt Deeds, at least as a bonus track anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

30 years since Highway to Hell's release!

And still one of my all-time favorite albums. I've listened to this album a few hours ago, it was magic! Pure let's-have-some-fun rock 'n roll, but yet so fascinating. It's amazing to see what Angus can do with a few power chords a a basic pentatonic scale. For me, it doesn't get much better than this. I'm so thankful that I got to see these guys live!

I think I know what I'm going to listen to for the next few days :D .

acdc_highway_to_hell-274x274.jpg

I'm gonna walk all over you!

Brian Johnson, mmmmmmm, disgusting...

:goodpost: The guy needs to shut up.

30 years since Highway to Hell's release!

And still one of my all-time favorite albums. I've listened to this album a few hours ago, it was magic! Pure let's-have-some-fun rock 'n roll, but yet so fascinating. It's amazing to see what Angus can do with a few power chords a a basic pentatonic scale. For me, it doesn't get much better than this. I'm so thankful that I got to see these guys live!

I think I know what I'm going to listen to for the next few days :D .

acdc_highway_to_hell-274x274.jpg

I'm gonna walk all over you!

I love Highway to Hell, one of my all time favorites. That album changed my life, it opened the doors of rock music to me... Where did you see them btw?

And damn, Bon Scott-hott. :veryhot: