John Adams miniseries comes this month

wanna be drummer

On sunday this week, the 7-part miniseries John Adams comes to TV. This miniseries will be produced by Tom Hanks and it is based off David McCullough's Pulitzer-winning John Adams. Paul Giamatti stars as John Adams.

I'm hoping this is going to be great Television, like it has potential to be. I've been waiting for someone to make a good movie or series about the Founding Fathers, and hopefully this will do some justice

Wasn`t David McCullough the narrator for Ken Burn`s The Civil War?

I just shelled out $90 for this five DVD set and I swear the whole segment about Gettysburg is not on it.

I am tempted to take it back but I know I can`t

I also hope this one is better than Burn`s lemon about WWII.

Yep, McCullough was the narrator for 'The Civil War'. That series is my favorite thing EVER on TV, I could watch any DVD from that set daily. You think your set is missing a segment, or is it missing a disc? Gettysburg is in Episode 5, which would be disc 3.

Yep, McCullough was the narrator for 'The Civil War'. That series is my favorite thing EVER on TV, I could watch any DVD from that set daily. You think your set is missing a segment, or is it missing a disc? Gettysburg is in Episode 5, which would be disc 3.

I remember watching The Civil War with my dad when it premiered 18 years ago. Every time it's on again, we make a point of watching it. He also narrated Baseball which is the second greatest thing ever on TV.

Yes I am sure. My disc 3 ends with Vicksburg and continues on disc4.

I know this miniseries by heart. I worn it on VHS.

I swear it is not on the set unless it buried somewhere on disc 5.

I make it to Gettysburg every chance I get.

I even have my picture re-enacting this famous (faked) photograph at Devil`s Den.

dead-civil-war-soldier.jpg

May turn out to be something worth watching for a change :)

Very much so! If you type David McCullough on youtube, several episodes of 'Charlie Rose' come up. This one, discussing John Adams, there's another discussing his book '1776' and George Washington. Great stuff.

It's fascinating that Adams and Jefferson BOTH died on the same day...July 4, 1826...the 50th anniversary of July 4, 1776.

Indeed. They were bitter political rivals during their tenures in the political spotlight, but during retirement became very good friends. Its historically noted that Adams' second largest correspondence was to Jefferson when he was at Montecello. His largest correspondence being that to this his wife, Abagail.

John Adams: America's most under-appreciated and overlooked Founding Father/President.

Indeed he was a giant of a man.

Personally, I always liked Alexander Hamilton, and since he was never made president, I think he's overshadowed by some of the bigger names with which we're all familiar with.

BUt that's history for ya. Like I said earlier, let's hope this miniseries will do him some justice.

Not sure if I would've had Paul Giamatti in the lead role though

Indeed he was a giant of a man.

Personally, I always liked Alexander Hamilton, and since he was never made president, I think he's overshadowed by some of the bigger names with which we're all familiar with.

BUt that's history for ya. Like I said earlier, let's hope this miniseries will do him some justice.

Not sure if I would've had Paul Giamatti in the lead role though

Hamilton was a genius when it came to finance and big government. Unfortunately, he was a bastard son that came from the Caribbean and wasn't seen as an equal amongst some of the other members of the early Republic.

^ Yeah, if you watch the McCullough interview above, he talks a lot about the Jefferson/Adams friendship, their falling out, and their reconciliation in the later years.

Founding Fathers and His Excellency by Joseph Ellis are both great reads on the Founding Fathers Generation.

Hamilton was a genius when it came to finance and big government. Unfortunately, he was a bastard son that came from the Caribbean and wasn't seen as an equal amongst some of the other members of the early Republic.

He also had this odd admire for the British system of government...which intrigues me as he was a revolutionary. But I agree with you fully that he was a financial genius.

I wish we could make Steve Allen's meeting of minds come to life, because theres so many people I want to fucking interview.

He also had this odd admire for the British system of government...which intrigues me as he was a revolutionary. But I agree with you fully that he was a financial genius.

I wish we could make Steve Allen's meeting of minds come to life, because theres so many people I want to fucking interview.

Many, if not a majority of the Founding Fathers had a big admiration for the British system of government. Don't forget, most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were rich merchants who refused to pay high taxes on imported cargo. Yet, they fully realized if they were at the top of a new government, they'd be the ones who'd be receiving the income and would be mainly exempt from paying any taxes, which is what happened.

Archived