First Led Zeppelin Stories

guitarmy

I'm still trying to get the Led Zeppelin DVD and How The West Was Won. I'd be quite happy then :D

thanks for being my friends!!! (L)

Yes you must absolutely get those. If you think the studio stuff knocks your socks off, wait until you hear/watch those two compilations.

And don't forget the BBC Sessions! It's on the same level as the other two you haven't acquired yet.

I'm a relatively new Led Zep fan. In about 8th grade, which is 3-4 years ago, i found IV in my dad's CD collection, and listened to it because some kid in one of my classes mentioned how good they were. I listened to them for quite a while that year but they got old. Eventually after 8th grade i picked up a guitar, got How the West Was Won, and became addicted (Thats one of my favorite albums, live or otherwise).

I happen to like my story.

So here 'goes:

So, I'd been introduced to music by my then best friend, in seventh grade. Originally it was AC/DC, then some punk/emo which I am still embarrassed by, and then, for a good solid two years, it was the Rolling Stones.

Side Note: The way I listen to music is obsessive and weird. I listened to mostly only the Stone for pretty much two years. It was sweet.

So, I had heard parts of Stairway before, and I thought "Hell, who wants this folksy crap here? I'll stick with the Stones, thank you very much". Oh dear, that is really embarrassing.

Well, when I was at camp the summer before my Freshman year, I happened to listen to Stairway to Heaven the whole way through for the first time. It was the only song I had by them at the time. I kept listening. And listening. And listening.

I was in love.

When I got back, I started to learn Stairway to Heaven on my guitar. For about two weeks, I listened to only Stairway to Heaven, several times a day. It was literally the only song I listened to.

One of my friends gave me some albums. Led Zeppelin I blew my mind, with Good Times Bad Times blowing my out of the water, as Zep hits the ground running on that album. Eventually, I got every song, and slowly listened to every piece by Zep.

I promptly began to listen to only Led Zeppelin for a solid year, and have yet to regret it.

Led Zeppelin II is the best album in the English language. And that's a fact.

God bless you Zep! You rock!

Yes I was talking to you foosteps of young.Your 23?I was reading another thread in another forum and it said that you live in San Diego and own your own house.How can you own your own house you must be rich.????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes I was talking to you foosteps of young.Your 23?I was reading another thread in another forum and it said that you live in San Diego and own your own house.How can you own your own house you must be rich.????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh! Actually, I'm just a poor college student who still lives at home with my parents. :blush: Nope, unfortunately I haven't invented anything cool yet.

When I was young, my father would play Zeppelin all the time. Of course there was other music that he played, but Zeppelin was his favorite. Apparently I liked it, as I would often request to hear "the plant man" (robert).

I grew a little older and started to dislike Zeppelin as well as damn near all forms of classic rock.

I have since learned to utterly regret that period of my life. I re-embraced Zeppelin at the age of 15, delving completely into everything except "in through the out door" (I'm still not overly fond of that album). Zeppelin got me into the blues and into grass-roots classic rock. I am forever indebted to Led Zeppelin for expanding my musical tastes and helping me to appreciate true musical talent.

When I was 14, I met a girl who had all their albums. She never played them though. I think they actually belonged to her older sister. She showed me the album covers and some band pictures. I thought Jimmy was cute. She was infatuated with Robert. One day, I was going to the store and she asked me if I would pick up a magazine with Robert on the cover. I was in a hurry and ended up with a magazine with David Lee Roth on the cover. :o She was mad. Told me I needed to grow up and realize what a real man was. :angry::blink: To me they both had long blonde hair and long lean bodies, so what difference did it make. Now, many, many years later, I appreciate her point of view. :D

Side Note: The way I listen to music is obsessive and weird.

I promptly began to listen to only Led Zeppelin for a solid year, and have yet to regret it.

Led Zeppelin II is the best album in the English language. And that's a fact.

Yeah I know what you mean on all accounts. (The second album is also my favourite)

I've been listening to mostly Led Zeppelin for about 9 years now...

You'll never escape, or want to!

Of course I knew Stairway... but a buddy of mine would play Zep when he cleaned his place, claimed it was great cleaning music, and I agree. Hearing bit and pieces of songs, and then having them click in my head- hey I like this...

Fool in the Rain

Your Time is Gonna Come

The Rain Song

Over the Hills and Far Away

... holy crap, this stuff is great...

Battle of Evermore

Achillies Last Stand

... I need to have this stuff...

and so it was... every CD they had, I had to have... didn't get album or tape, the time was just changing to the whole CD thing.... and there it is... Lovin these guys for 23 of my 40 years of life.

The sky is filled with good and bad that mortals never know

When i first heard Livin Lovin Maid.

I loved that up-beat riff & Bonzos drums & i still say it's the most underated Zep song ever & it's probably the closest Led Zep got to writing a pop song.

I can just imagine Badfinger doing a cover of it.

In Australia we had a magazine called Go Set & a show on the ABC called GTK which covered Zep's 1972 Aussie tour & i vaguely remember seeing coverage of that tour.

A couple of older girls that i knew from the South Coast were right into Zeppelin & was always playing them along with the Beatles, Hendrix, the Band, Doors, Clapton, Stones, Blind Faith, Humble Pie, Thin Lizzy, Blue Cheer, Ten Years After, the Who, T-Rex, Bowie, Dylan, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Status Quo, Lou Reed, Slade, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Free, Bad Company, early Elton John & Rod Stewart etc plus Aussie bands like Skyhooks, Chain, Carson, Sid Rumpo, the Dingoes & Fraternity.

By 1975 although i was only 14 going on 15, Zep's music really captured everything i wanted to hear like Folk, Blues, Rock etc & when they released Physical Graffiti that really made it so obvious that to me they were the perfect band for the times.

As much as i love The Beatles i must say that Led Zep were the ultimate rock band & for someone who loved the cultural significance of that era then it's hard to go past them as a truely defining band that shaped many a teenagers perceptions, especially mine.

Every time i hear LLM it reminds of those South Coast summers & the first time i was introduced to the music of Led Zeppelin.

I was 12 I went over to see my friend. there he was with his mother's blond wig on jumping from sofa to loveseat and back . On the stereo was this music pounding out, "heartbreaker" followed by "living Loving Maid <<<<<with a purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat>>>>> I was hooked.

a few years later in 1980 Led Zeppelin was planning a tour, tickets werer going on sale in a couple of days for the Montreal forum. some of us were planning to sleep downtown to get tickets.

I was in grade 10. I had just left school and hopped over a cement barricade to grab the path for the way home. someone coming the other way said as he passed me(knowing I was a huge Zeppelin fan by this time) "Hey man did you hear John Bonham just died."

I instantly thought he was full of shit and that he was just trying to get me going.

I was wrong. funny what you remember.

Barryboru :(

I spent the summer I turned 12 in Little Rock Arkansas in an apartment complex where there was nothing much to do but get high and listen to music with the older kids. One that lived below me was always belting out Zeppelin and I had never heard anything like it being raised on a steady diet of Tammy Wynette and George Jones. Ive been hooked ever since

• 2 weeks later...

I was probably about 11 or 12 years old. I was listening to the 'heavier' pop bands of the time (T Rex, Alice Cooper, Queen, etc). Then my uncle played some music in his car - I think it was Pink Floyd - and I liked it and he seemed like a cool source of new listening. I borrowed 3 cassette tapes from him - Black Sabbath Vol 4, Genesis Live and Houses of The Holy.

When I listened to HoTH, I thought TSRTS was cool, OTHAFA was majestic and The Crunge was horrid. I haven't changed my views to this day. But I went out and bought all of the albums, usually from a second-hand vinyl shop. I can't quite remember the order in which I got them, but it was like a confusing jigsaw to me - trying to put them all in order to appreciate how the band progressed. I remember that the NME Book of Rock was invaluable in helping me to catch up on so much of rock's history and to make sense of what happened when. I leafed through that book so much that it fell apart. I caught up with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, BJH, Supertramp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and many more, but Zeppelin always remained the number one rock band for me.

I got to see them at Knebworth in '79 and that was one of the greatest days of my life. I didn't get tickets to the O2, sadly enough, but then I don't ever win anything that is down to chance alone.

The first time I heard LZ was at fourthteen years old in Argentina where I live, my class partner showed me LZ two, that was recently arrived to Arg. (1976) and I felt like all previously heard was leger and soft (YES, Beatles,..). It was something different, like music from other planet, like a hurricane straight to my mind and changed on me every way of think about the rock music. In that moment I became a ZeppCollector and today, 31 years after, I`m still so.

Archived