Latest purchase

Henrik

Found these onsale while I was out Christmas shopping today, both at a very reasonable price (Buffett - $6.99, Zeppelin - $11.34)

41Y9AEXG0NL._AA240_.jpg41HDsuGGvQL._AA240_.jpg

Bought Christmas Island a few years back. Good tunes..

Picked up the remastered TSRTS yesterday. The sound is incredible, although I wasn't happy they edited WLL.

Bought Christmas Island a few years back. Good tunes..

I've had it and John Prine's A John Prine Christmas on cassette for years. It's become traditional over the last several years to listen to both on my way to my family's house for Christmas. Thankfully, I came across both on sale this year.

Picked up the remastered TSRTS yesterday. The sound is incredible, although I wasn't happy they edited WLL.

Apparently it's not the only tune that's been edited, I understand No Quarter lost 1:30 seconds. I almost wish I hadn't ventured into the deep talk elsewhere on the board from the Zeperts who know every inch of that record up and down. I think it's good to know that it's been edited but I think having that amount of knowledge about it would get in the way of my listening pleasure (that said with all due respect to those who care enough to do that amount of research). I've been listening to Little Feat's Waitin' For Columbus for years but never knew until reading the liner notes from the expanded reissue from a few years ago that it had been so heavily edited.

I still haven't listened to disc 2 but my only qualm so far is with the packaging. Cardboard sleeves equal scratched discs. From what I've read the Collector's Edition of the DVD also houses the discs in cardboard sleeves and the package itself is poorly constructed. As has been stated in several other threads elsewhere on the board, I was disappointed to learn this, especially coming from a band that has gone to such great measures in the packaging department in the past.

I know The Song Remains The Same itself isn't considered any great achievement in the live Zep canon but reading over Cameron Crowe's updated liner notes the other night took me right back to when I first received it on vinyl as a Christmas gift in 1976. It immediately put me in mind of Skynyrd's One More From the Road and Frampton Comes Alive! both of which were also released that same year. It was the era of the live album. Looking back on it, I don't really think there's been such a time period quite like it before or since. Like greatest hits collections, they're oftentimes thought of as contractual stop gaps between studio albums but these records proved they could be much more than that. They were testament to the fact of what some of these artists sounded like in their natural setting, playing in front of a live audience. I was yet to delve into bootlegs so it also served as my first introduction to live Led Zeppelin. For that alone, it will always hold many special memories. There's also another common denominator and that's Cameron Crowe's liner notes as he penned them for all three records. Yet another lost art in today's digital age.

Archived