Robert Plant and Ian Anderson = no friends!

claudia

Here is a part of an interview of Ian Anderson about his time with Led Zeppelin:

Aqualung: "...I can´t remmber what it was, it was Zeppelin ..., we already toured with Zeppelin in 69, we were their Supportband, and we all got on well with Jimmy Page and Peter Grant the Manager, and even with John Bonham, ..., but for some reason, probably entirely unimportant and lost in the mist of time, Robert Plant and I never got on, ... whatever the reason or reason´s were, i´m absolutely prepared to take the blame for, because I do recall, in what I thaught was good spirit, making some, not badly intended, comment in Melody Maker, ... with my lyrics and Led Zeppelins music, we could be quite a good little rock´n Roll Band or something like that, cause I so stupidly ... not remembering of course that Robert Plant actually wrote the lyrics ..."

Here is a part of an interview of Ian Anderson about his time with Led Zeppelin:

Aqualung: "...I can´t remmber what it was, it was Zeppelin ..., we already toured with Zeppelin in 69, we were their Supportband, and we all got on well with Jimmy Page and Peter Grant the Manager, and even with John Bonham, ..., but for some reason, probably entirely unimportant and lost in the mist of time, Robert Plant and I never got on, ... whatever the reason or reason´s were, i´m absolutely prepared to take the blame for, because I do recall, in what I thaught was good spirit, making some, not badly intended, comment in Melody Maker, ... with my lyrics and Led Zeppelins music, we could be quite a good little rock´n Roll Band or something like that, cause I so stupidly ... not remembering of course that Robert Plant actually wrote the lyrics ..."

And let's not forget. This is the same Ian Anderson who recently had to apologize for making "Anti-american" remarks.

I don't see Robert or any of the other "Led Zeppelin" band memebers having any problems with us "Yanks". So I can see a little bit of "Stupidity" on Ian's part.

We will need someone like Steve A Jones to come up with the actual article but I remember reading an interview with Ian Anderson when he was asked 'whatever happened to his famous overcoat'?...the one he was often pictured with in the early days wearing whilst standing on one leg and playing the flute...........his answer was " John Bonham stole it "

And let's not forget. This is the same Ian Anderson who recently had to apologize for making "Anti-american" remarks.

I don't see Robert or any of the other "Led Zeppelin" band memebers having any problems with us "Yanks". So I can see a little bit of "Stupidity" on Ian's part.

First of all, Ian has said a lot of stupid things. He does have a habit of criticizing American culture and habits. He also says some pretty intelligent things.

The "anti-American" remark you are referring to, was something to do with all the American flags being displayed. I'm not sure I would have called it anti-American, but that's how it got interpreted. If you do a google search, I'm sure you can find the whole story.

He did dedicate the remastered version of Stand Up to Led Zeppelin for giving Tull the opportunity to support them on the 1969 tour.

I've heard Jimmy and Robert take cracks at Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson.

Some of my favourites:

Jethro Dull

Jethro Tull Bore "Em At The Forum

And in a blizzard in Canada while looking out the window: If that were cocaine Jethro Tull would be in heaven.

Don't get me wrong I like Jethro Tull I just think that Jimmy and Robert have a good sense of humour.

I've heard Jimmy and Robert take cracks at Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson.

Some of my favourites:

Jethro Dull

Jethro Tull Bore "Em At The Forum

And in a blizzard in Canada while looking out the window: If that were cocaine Jethro Tull would be in heaven.

Don't get me wrong I like Jethro Tull I just think that Jimmy and Robert have a good sense of humour.

What puzzles me, is that Tull's exceptional drummer Barriemore Barlow was available in 1980. I truly think Zeppelin could have continued on and prospered with Barrie in place of JB.

Can you substantiate that? Harmonica yes, flute...I don't think so.

Haa haa- Hey , Steve---yesterday there was a young poster who was a new generation Led Zeppelin fan ,new to the forum as well ,he said he didn`t understand why there are so many fights on here he was interested in learning---substatiation you want brother----Here it is---pre/post Led Zeppelin thread --Under :profile of Listen ,Midland Beat july 1966----Robert Plant (harmonica and flute as well) :D

The enchanting Alessandra has quite rightly pointed out that the July 1966 Midland Beat article I posted several months ago states Plant was a flutist for Listen, so that is some

substantiation to the point Lajoie made.

Syncronicity----I typed ,pressed my post then read this ! and yeah I pulled up some older post for any new fans who may benefit !

Haa haa- Hey , Steve---yesterday there was a young poster who was a new generation Led Zeppelin fan ,new to the forum as well ,he said he didn`t understand why there are so many fights on here he was interested in learning---substatiation you want brother----Here it is---pre/post Led Zeppelin thread --Under :profile of Listen ,Midland Beat july 1966----Robert Plant (harmonica and flute as well) :D

Yes, lajoie that's the article to which I refer. I was actually the one who posted it :lol:

There's no fighting here, we're just talking things thru. Obviously, we're left to wonder

to what extent his talents as a flutist were called upon in '66.

What puzzles me, is that Tull's exceptional drummer Barriemore Barlow was available in 1980. I truly think Zeppelin could have continued on and prospered with Barrie in place of JB.

Barlow did play drums on the tracks 'Wreckless Love' and 'Stranger Here...Than Over There' on Robert's first solo album in 1981. Even so, I don't think Led Zeppelin could

have carried on with any other drummer on account of their emotional state at the

time. An awful lot of trials and tribulations were endured from '75 - '80. Just tragic.

Robert playing the flute? It's a fuk'n joke!

Bringing in Ian Anderson , who can actually play the flute, is even more ridiculous!

Robert is a singer - Ian is an amazing musician and thinker. He's def not stupid!

I respect Ian, even Robert would agree.

Steve,

I'm sure you've just forgotten. One of the old articles you posted about Robert when he was in Listen mentioned that he played the flute. Could have been Robert having a go at the interviewer (as usual) but who knows.

Funny you should say that! I've found myself in similar debates concerning the lyric

"I saw a lion and he was standing alone with a tadpole in a jar". I happen to recall reading an interview from way back where Robert told the journalist he was wandering about and came upon a stone lion in front of a public library or a town hall of some sort with a goldfish bowl placed protectively between it's paws. Well, come to find out it's also apparently an English slang saying. So this would not be the only time Robert

wound-up (more slang!) a journalist if in fact he did.

As a long time Zepp and Tull fan, I think I can answer this fairly realisticaly.

Firstly when John died NOBODY in the the band seriously could contemplate replacing him,and they had the sense to know that it would be like if your own brother had died, and you simply waltzed down to the local pet shop and replaced him with a Bull Dog!.This, I am sure, has actually happened to people who, like me, have had the misfortune to lose a beloved brother and tried to replace him with a "quick fix" .

Secondly, I am sure that the surviving members may have entertained a thought about an actual replacement ;if not among themselves, then at least privately.

If that was the case then I'm certain that Barriemore would have got a look in ,but as history has shown it was not to be.You know that the history of Zeppelin began in 1968 and despite inactivity has yet to end.

They are one of the few musical acts from any era who have managed to retain their integrety and win new fans at an asounding level well into a new musical era.

Yeah Barrie with Jimmy,Robert and John Paul might have worked, but would it have been Led Zeppelin?.

Yes, lajoie that's the article to which I refer. I was actually the one who posted it :lol:

There's no fighting here, we're just talking things thru. Obviously, we're left to wonder

to what extent his talents as a flutist were called upon in '66.

Sorry, I was not implying you were fighting--I was including the full statement of the new Gen LZ fan--- he/she had jumped in on a thread where there were some posters in conflict after reading his/her desire to learn I pulled up about 20 old posts, several were articles you`ve shared from your abundant LZ database .Thanks ! As for Robert being a flutist the Lyrics from" stairway" come to mind :the piper is calling you to join him (?) :whistling:

Barlow was a genious, think he played on Outrider too.

From Wiki on Barriemore Barlow.

Barlow is known as a very technical and creative drummer. His drumming on the live album, Bursting Out, is testimony to his creative talents as a drummer. He was called "the greatest rock drummer England ever produced" by the late John Bonham.[citation needed].

Have heard this before, anyone know where the quote is from

Archived