The ULTIMATE supergroup

facetious11

Steve Marriott - Lead vocals and rhythm guitar

Rory Gallagher - Lead guitar and vocals

John Paul Jones - Bass

Ian Paice - Drums

That's a rockin' line up

Interesting question. Firstly, my ultimate supergroup would consist of at least 5 members. However, in my following compilation of a supergroup, I would have 7 members. Particularly live, I really like that fuller sound you get when you can have multi harmonic vocals, a rhtyhm and lead guitar, having a keyboard player without sacrificing a bassist, etc.

Vocalist: My favourite singers are Paul Rodgers and David Coverdale. So in the same way as Deep Purple Mk3 had 2 people sharing vocals, I'd have these 2 vocalists in an ultimate supergroup.

Drummer: The greatest drummer of all time without doubt is John Bohnam.

Bassist: For me, the best bassist I've ever heard is Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath.

Guitarist: As much as Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath is my favourite guitarist, I identify with him far too much as a purely belonging to Sabbath. I would have Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page sharing guitars. Could you imagine that combination?

Keyboardist: This is a tough one for me, a toss up between the mighty Jon Lord or Don Airey. In the end, I'll say Jon Lord.

And there you go. This 7 member group consisting of Paul Rodgers, David Coverdale, John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Geezer Butler and Jon Lord would be my ultimate supergroup. Oh, and there would be one big proviso. If this band records any cover versions of songs, Paul Rodgers would have no say in picking the song. He has a superb voice, but picks the crappiest songs for recording covers. I would give Hendrix permission to biff him should he even make a suggestion. That'll learn him.

What y'all think?

Keyboards - Janne Wirman (Children of Bodom)

Guitar - Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) and/or Carl Sanders (Nile) and/or Jimmy Page (Duh)

Drums - Neil Peart (Rush) and/or Joey Jordison (Slipknot)

Vocals - Steve Perry (Journey) Carl Sanders (Nile)

Bass - Les Claypool (Primus) < don't like the band much but he is an amazing bass player

Archived