The Doors Thread

eagle87

"Car hiss by my window"...wow.

"Spanish Caravan"

"The End"

"Soul Kitchen"

I own the whole collection and this thread makes me understand that i must revisit it.

Great, great band.

I feel like the 70's are back.

Glad to see there is some Doors fans here in L.Z. land. I've got all the studio albums plus some extra stuff. There is only one band I'm into more. I could name some obvious songs as my favorites. Instead here is some good ones that are not as well known that are among my favorites:

The Crystal Ship

Take it as it Comes

Strange Days

Moonlight Drive

Not to Touch the Earth

Spanish Caravan

Shaman's Blues

Peace Frog/Blue Sunday

Cars Hiss By My Window

The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)

Who Do You Love?

The Celebration of the Lizard

Glad to see there is some Doors fans here in L.Z. land. I've got all the studio albums plus some extra stuff. There is only one band I'm into more. I could name some obvious songs as my favorites. Instead here is some good ones that are not as well known that are among my favorites:

The Crystal Ship

Take it as it Comes

Strange Days

Moonlight Drive

Not to Touch the Earth

Spanish Caravan

Shaman's Blues

Peace Frog/Blue Sunday

Cars Hiss By My Window

The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)

Who Do You Love?

The Celebration of the Lizard

Nice

• 5 weeks later...

The Doors are one of the few bands that nobody could duplicate. In fact i think they are the most original band to come out ever. I no there may of been some Morrison wannabe's, but the music part is one of a kind. They were a nice little jam band. The guitar riff in The End is just one of those riffs that makes you feel funny down there.

Also, both The Doors and Led Zeppelin were not around long enough to make as many mistakes as bands like the Stones or The Who, (both bands the I like).

I think you are very right on that. It's not mistakes, but they can't keep as fresh. I think thats what hurtas the stones and the who so much. Yes if you make a dozen or so records, you're going to have a bunch of great songs, but you are also going to write some really bad ones. I personaly don't think the who have bad songs, but alot of the songs that aren't the hits, sound they same or have the same feel to them.

In last year, a CD/DVD (i think, dont remember very well), was created about The Doors and the 40 years. But still I can't find it here.

Someone has it?

It's called 'Perception' , and you can find it on ebay or amazon.It is 6 cd's and 6 dvd's in a box

I dig the doors, they made seriously good music.

my favorite songs are definitely:

break on through

light my fire

roadhouse blues

indian summer

blue sunday

the spy

love her madly

hyacinth house

end of the night

riders on the storm

the end

love street

love me two times

hello, i love you

backdoor man

you're lost little girl

strange days

people are strange

alabama song

wintertime love

five to one

ummm.... the list goes on.

Edited by haze

I dig the doors, they made seriously good music.

my favorite songs are definitely:

break on through

light my fire

roadhouse blues

indian summer

blue sunday

the spy

love her madly

hyacinth house

end of the night

riders on the storm

the end

love street

love me two times

hello, i love you

backdoor man

you're lost little girl

strange days

people are strange

alabama song

wintertime love

five to one

ummm.... the list goes on.

There is not one single song off that list I don't like!! :)

I dig the Doors esp their most underrated song The Changeling. What did you guys think of the New Doors with Ashbury on vocals?

I saw them 4 times : one of the best bands i haver seen in 20+ years....

Astbury looks and sounds just like Jim , hard to believe but very true...

I like The Changeling, but there are others I like more. I think the song did a good job of showing where Jim's head was at at the time. From L.A. Woman Cars Hiss By My Window is a good song a lot of people do not know about.

I love the Doors too, my husband was the one who got me into them (they are to him what Zeppelin is to me). He likes to sing their songs, we have a karaoke feature on the stereo that takes out the vocals so you don't need a special karaoke cd- he does a great version of "You're Lost Little Girl".

My favorite Doors songs (no particular order):

Waiting For The Sun

Maggie M'Gill

Wild Child

Strange Days

Moonlight Drive

the entire first album

Wishful Sinful

Cars Hiss By My Window

Peace Frog

Well, I couldn't find any one, so this is first (I think).

Wellcome to:

The_Doors_-_Morrison_Hotel_-_front.jpg

What is your favourite CD and song?

Me: Roadhouse Blues - Song

CD: Morrison Hotel

I know The Doors since 2006, when the brother of the girlfriend of my brother (I cant remeber the word in english for all that), said to me: Listen Break on Through.

Go Jim

Where do I start? I started to learn about the doors in the fall of 1980, right after Bonzo passed. In fact, Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugerman release their book that year and I received it for Christmas 1980. Having just turned 17 in August of that year, I was totally devastated by the news of John's passing. In addition to some serious substance abuse issues I had at that time, I was being overwhelmed with panic attack/anxiety attacks/flashbacks---I did't know what they were and during Christmas of '80, my dad and step-mom had me admitted to an "adolesecent" center for troubled youths...While I was in their for 2-3 weeks, I devoured "NO One Here Gets Out Alive", the doors first real biography. I was hooked...my life, my attitude changed overnight. And not necesarily for the better. Hell, if Jim Morrison did 250 hits of pure LSD in one year, why couldn't I? Well, he was the Lizard King and I wasn't.

I became a doors fan with a vengeance after that winter. I have followed them in great detail over the years, never surpassing my love for LZ, but right up there with them. The reason for that? Well, the bands were light years apart as far as the type of music they created. I always have my "exalted three" Jimi, lz, and the doors...never in competition with each other simply because they were so disimmlar...love them all....

But back to the original question. Favorite disc/album? Probably would have to go with their 1967 debut, if not just for "Light My Fire", which was really groundbreaking at the time. Musically, this song is incredible, with the jazzy solo's and the such...all culminating in the most unbelievable freaking sound-gasm I had heard (up to that point)...not many other have come close to this orgiastic explosion of 'music, sweet music'....(to quote Jimi).

Fave Doors songs: too many to list, though I definately like the more "obscure" songs, not "the hits", as it were. For example, I'd much rather hear "My Eyes Have Seen You" than a more recognizable one such as, "Love me two time".

I'll try to keep this brief: You're lost little girl, Twentieth Century Fox, Crystal Ship, Love Street, End of the night, Moonlight Drive, Strange Days (really love this one!), wintertime love, summer's almost gone, spanish caravan, yes the river knows, tell all the people, shaman's blues, ezy ride (sp?), do it, wild child, wishfull sinful, soft parade, waiting for the sun, you make me real, Peace Frog/Blue Sunday, indian summer, the changeling (awesome!), been down so long, the cars hiss by my window, l.a. woman, l' america (sp?), hyacynth house (the "demo" version on the '97 box set is freaking awesome!), whoops, forgot "Queen of the Highway". And yes, the "jazz" version on the same box set (imho) is better than version on the Morrison Hotel lp. Yeah, I almost forgot the JL Hooker cover (as mentioned above) of "Crawling Kingsnake". And of 'course, "Riders..." This was all from memory, so I may have missed a few. I loved his "crooner songs", all though they were certainly never marketed as such. He had an assload of charisma, though he was obviously a very flawed individual. I learned a lot from them and their music.

In the early eighties, my good friend (whom I met in the adolescent "center") became mega-doors fans (whatever that is! :D ). He began to acquire a bunch of doors boots on lp---almost all of which I recorded by putting my cassete recorder in front of the speakers as the album played! This is how I recorded many lp's in the late 70's and early eighties (pre-82, anyway)! Some were really crappy sound, but one, probably my fave (boot) is the two sets from Stockholm, Sweden Sept. 20th (?) 1968. Sound near pristine, albeit in mono. You get to hear a version of "Love Street" live...in fact, at the beginning of the song, Jim has to give them a loud "shush" so they can hear it....also during one of the sets they preface "Alabamba Song" with the (early, I think) sixties song by bobby darin, "Mack the Knife" unbelievably good!

I also have purchased all (but one) the live shows they have released on "Bright Midnight Records", which I think is a frickin' AWESOME endeavor! LZ take heed: I can only imagine all the reels and reels of shows that Jimmy probablly has in his possesion...throw us a bone James Patrick!

Finally I'll finish with a few items: The one they released pre-x-mas, I believe was "live in Boston 1970". DO NOT BUY THIS SHOW. JIM MORRISON WAS DRUNK ON HIS ASS FOR BOTH SETS THEY PERFORMED THAT NIGHT. AND IT SHOWS!! Three remaining doors tryed to make it through the show, and they did. I had even more respect for them after hearing these shows. It gave me much perspective on what they had to endure...Dont buy it unless you want to keep it with the tempe, arizona lz performance....as some of the worst concerts by some of the best artists ever...

Finally, "An American Prayer" is simply stunning, imho. They have a (relatively) new version of it with a few bonus tracks which are very poigiant (sp?), such as, "Bird of Prey" and a couple others...

Finally (really, I swear this time!), I and my "teen rehab buddy" and his wife got tickets to see Ray Manzerak and poet Michael McClure perform at a StLouis area basement bar sometime early nineties. All three of us, uh, "riding the snake", so to speak! And this in the basement bar of a University City establishment that probaly held no more than a hundred people-max. Ray played electric piano while MM recited some of his poems -all night. I remebered he did one as a tribute to Jim called, "In memorium". They were both less than 10-12 feet away from me and my friends -the whole time!

If you recall, Michael McClure was one the poets Jim looked up to before he was ever even in the doors...