The Doors Thread

eagle87

LoL, no I know Jim is long gone. I remember when they announced it on the radio, sad sad day. I do have a lifelong buddy who to this day will tell you he's not though. He couldn't take the pressure of stardom and fame, went to Paris, faked it and got on with his life.

Others used to think this too. Most have gotten over it though, my friend never quite has.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they ever crossed paths with Led Zeppelin? I know about a festival in Seattle in '69. But i never read/heard anything about the two bands (which are, if you ask me, the greatest bands ever). crossing paths again.

I heard Robert during his Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame accepting speach naming the Doors as one of the bands they where privelegd to perform with.

But during 1969 they must have come close to eachother, especially in LA?!

Not really sure, but I will do a little searching to help you find out one day. I remember the speech you are talking about-with Robert mentioning them as an act they had a privledge of performing with. But also, it's very strange that he had those words to say, because I remember Robert Plant also saying in an interview that he saw The Doors once (wheather or not it was the same venue Zeppelin played with them) and he was turned off by the fact that Jim Morrison mooned the audience and told them to go fuck themselves.

Edited by Rock Historian

BTW, one of my favorite underrated Doors songs is Soul Kitchen. Great bass work by Larry Knechtel.

Larry Knechtel from Bread?! Geez, I didn't know that. He played on Beach Boys sessions too; talented cat.

P.S. There is a thread - I think it was in the Master Forum - that goes into great detail about how Robert and Jimmy (Et tu, Mr. Page?) really rubbished Morrison in the press after the Seattle festival/concert thingie. It seems Robert eventually changed his opinion on Mr. Mojo Risin' so bless him.

[bless JP too; he's a genius and a gentleman no matter what]

Edited by FireOpal

I will never get sick of The Doors, one of my all time favorite rock bands and I discovered them right around the same time as Zeppelin. I've been listening to LA Woman (the album) a bit lately, great album. I think The Wasp is an under-rated song, and L.A Woman and Riders on the Storm are at the moment my two favorite Doors tracks.

For the most part, I think the Doors are massively overrated - on a par with the Beach Boys, as possibly the most overrated bands of all time.

I disagree, though all the Doors albums have songs that range from just good to brilliant (whereas the first 6 Zep albums were pretty much brilliance all the way through). The Beach Boys were very good musically, but lacking lyrically. However, when it comes to most over-rated, no offense to any of his fans but I think Johnny Cash is the most over-rated recording artist I can think of.

• 1 month later...

They are one of my favourite bands. I love them mostly because of the lyrics but I love their music too! And I love Morrison as a person but it's such a pity that he had died at 27. :(

My favourite albums: 'The Doors', 'Waiting for the Sun', 'Morrison Hotel' and 'Strange Days'

My favourite songs: 'The End', 'Yes, The River Knows', 'The Crystal Ship', 'Not To Touch The Earth'

• 1 month later...

From The Doors Facebook page:

The Doors are thrilled to premiere a brand new video for "L.A. Woman!" The video was directed by two-time Emmy® nominee Matt Goodman and includes a new single version of “L.A. Woman,” marking the first time this iconic track has ever been released as a single! The video finds professional skateboarders Kenny Anderson, Alex Olson, and Braydon Szafranski taking viewers on a “Doors-centric” skatebo

arding tour of Los Angeles. Their L.A. journey is filled with stops at many iconic spots from The Doors’ storied career, from Venice Beach to Hollywood. Viewers will be treated to many Doors references, ranging from obvious to subtle, as well as several cool “blink and you might miss them” cameos - see if you can catch them all!

• 5 months later...

The U.K. fans/music cognoscenti never really "got" The Doors, I don't know why. Theories, anyone?

Jim Morrison himself talked about this in an interview with a British journalist around the time of The Doors' Isle of Wight performance in 1970.

Maybe it's just one of those instances (i.e. Cliff Richard) where the two cultures will have to agree to disagree.

• 1 month later...

The U.K. fans/music cognoscenti never really "got" The Doors, I don't know why. Theories, anyone?

Jim Morrison himself talked about this in an interview with a British journalist around the time of The Doors' Isle of Wight performance in 1970.

Maybe it's just one of those instances (i.e. Cliff Richard) where the two cultures will have to agree to disagree.

What? Not every UK resident likes Cliff, the same as not every US resident likes The Doors. It is not part of UK culture to like Cliff - and he actually has a large fanbase in the US.

I personally am not a Doors fan, they're too creepy and maudlin for me - just MO - my sister, from the same exact culture as me , loves them.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting band that I do like in doses, but lacked studio discipline to me ears; I believe they could have been a much better band with a very strong willed producer in the studio telling them to do it again and keep them on track. If Zeppelin was tight but loose, The Doors were just loose.

Edited by Charles J. White