Which one is the best?

Alessandra

Which one is the best?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best guitar for you?

• Fender Stratocaster
    • Gibson Les Paul
    • Others

Through years, these two guitars are always compared to each other.

It could be the quality of sound, appearance, features, etc...

In my own opinion, I'll say I'll choose Les Paul because of the quality of sound is incomparable and unique. Besides, I also love the appearance of it! So, what's yours? :)

If you choose others pls specify. Thanks :hippy:

A Fender Stratocaster

Fender%20Stratocaster.jpg

A Gibson Les Paul

Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic.jpg

"Best" means something different to everyone, so it's not very easy to talk about a "best" guitar.

"Favorite" is much easier - and for me that's the Les Paul. I find Strats uncomfortable to play & I don't like the sounds as much as the Les Paul.

"Best" means something different to everyone, so it's not very easy to talk about a "best" guitar.

"Favorite" is much easier - and for me that's the Les Paul. I find Strats uncomfortable to play & I don't like the sounds as much as the Les Paul.

That's why I put 'for you' in the poll title. :D Sorry...

I do like the sound of the Les Paul better but I’m willing to sacrifice that somewhat for the better access to the higher frets and the tremolo arm of the Strat. A Gibson SG with the whammy bar would be a great compromise, but only because I couldn’t afford a completely custom instrument.

I love Les Pauls (I have an Epiphone though) but for showing off and moving about, they're too heavy for me. Jumping around onstage, playing behind your head, throwing it in the air, etc. is much easier with a Strat. But I prefer the Les Paul overall.

I love Les Pauls (I have an Epiphone though) but for showing off and moving about, they're too heavy for me. Jumping around onstage, playing behind your head, throwing it in the air, etc. is much easier with a Strat. But I prefer the Les Paul overall.

I'll agree there, Strats are much more comfortable than Pauls. But what! Yet another plus for the SG - Gibson tone while being more comfortable than a Paul? Shocking!

...but for showing off and moving about, they're too heavy for me. Jumping around onstage, playing behind your head, throwing it in the air, etc...

Check out Pete Townshend with a Les Paul deluxe in The Who's "Kids Are Alright" DVD. Heavy it may be, but it doesn't slow him down any! :D

Check out Pete Townshend with a Les Paul deluxe in The Who's "Kids Are Alright" DVD. Heavy it may be, but it doesn't slow him down any! :D

Yeah, I saw that. But he's Pete Townshend. :D And besides, I'm too clumsy to be doing stuff like that on a Les Paul. I'd end up knocking my teeth out or breaking my finger or something stupid like that.

First of all, how often do you put the strap on and play. most of the time you're probaly are sitting down. In always had trouble balancing my Fender Bass on my lap, which has the same bottom profile as a strat. but then again ive yet to play a bass that was comfortable.

Well, it is not surprising there would be so many Les Paul people on a L.Z. web site. I like the strat better because you can get a better clean sound, as well as a very nice dirty sound. I think it is a more versatile instrument. It is comfortable and feels like a part of your body when you play it.

Les Pauls, especially Gibson's are certainly some of the best constructed guitars, I always worry I'm going to break something by the feel of most other guitars.... As for the weight, they may be substantially heavier than most guitars, but they really aren't all that heavy in themselves.

Quality is always a problem with Fender. At times it's inconsistent. But when you have a wonderfully made Strat and a wonderfully made Les Paul, man it's hard to tell which is better. It's all down to preference at that point. Me, I love the playability and tone of my Strat and wouldn't trade it for anything.

...I like the strat better...I think it is a more versatile instrument.

I hear this all the time. I know it's all about personal preference, & what works for the individual, but for me the Les Paul is much more versatile that the strat.

For starters the LP has a great clean sound - you just have to set up the amp different than you would for a Fender.

Then there's the available tones: people say "well the strat has a 5 way switch & the LP only has a 3 way", but because the LP has volume & tone controls for each pickup there is a continually variable range of tones that are impossible to get from a strat. True, the strat gets those in-between sounds but I'm happy to trade them for the wealth of tones I can get out of the LP's middle setting.

Then there's the ability to pre-set three different volume levels & switch between them - set one pickup quiet & the other loud & you get a bonus setting with both on - a midway volume somewhere betwen the two individual settings. That's really useful - with a good valve amp it's like having chanel switching built in to the guitar! Can't do that with a Fender.

And for added comfort, you can raise or lower the tailpiece to adjust the perceived tension of the strings, to get the feel of the guitar set perfectly how you like it (impossible on a Fender)

The vibrato arm I'll conceed - score one for the strat.

Anyway, like I said, it's all about personal preference isn't it, so one doesn't have to be "better" than the other one.

I hear this all the time. I know it's all about personal preference, & what works for the individual, but for me the Les Paul is much more versatile that the strat.

For starters the LP has a great clean sound - you just have to set up the amp different than you would for a Fender.

Then there's the available tones: people say "well the strat has a 5 way switch & the LP only has a 3 way", but because the LP has volume & tone controls for each pickup there is a continually variable range of tones that are impossible to get from a strat. True, the strat gets those in-between sounds but I'm happy to trade them for the wealth of tones I can get out of the LP's middle setting.

Then there's the ability to pre-set three different volume levels & switch between them - set one pickup quiet & the other loud & you get a bonus setting with both on - a midway volume somewhere betwen the two individual settings. That's really useful - with a good valve amp it's like having chanel switching built in to the guitar! Can't do that with a Fender.

And for added comfort, you can raise or lower the tailpiece to adjust the perceived tension of the strings, to get the feel of the guitar set perfectly how you like it (impossible on a Fender)

The vibrato arm I'll conceed - score one for the strat.

Anyway, like I said, it's all about personal preference isn't it, so one doesn't have to be "better" than the other one.

True that. Just look at these players and the tones I'd just DIE for:

Jimi Hendrix - Strat

Jimmy Page - Les Paul

SRV - Strat

Billy Gibbons - Les Paul (now Gretsch, but you get the idea)

Eric Clapton - Les Paul & Strat & 335

Buddy Guy - Strat

B.B. King - Lucille (that's the only thing you can call that guitar)

Joe Bonamassa - Les Paul

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Strat

Dave Gilmour - Strat

Jonny Lang - Tele

Derek Trucks - SG

Johnny Winter - that weird-ass Lazer guitar

Again, nothing on their playing, I just love these guys' tones.

It's all in how you play it isn't it?

True that. Just look at these players and the tones I'd just DIE for:

Jimi Hendrix - Strat

Jimmy Page - Les Paul

SRV - Strat

Billy Gibbons - Les Paul (now Gretsch, but you get the idea)

Eric Clapton - Les Paul & Strat & 335

Buddy Guy - Strat

B.B. King - Lucille (that's the only thing you can call that guitar)

Joe Bonamassa - Les Paul

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Strat

Dave Gilmour - Strat

Jonny Lang - Tele

Derek Trucks - SG

Johnny Winter - that weird-ass Lazer guitar

Again, nothing on their playing, I just love these guys' tones.

It's all in how you play it isn't it?

Nice list. Im sure the Beach Boys used Fenders also. But in my opinion, Gibson rules forever. I could never get used to playing a Fender but will admit only did on rare occasion. I think the strings are wider apart on the neck. Agree or not?

Maybe. I've always personally thought the necks on Fenders were slimmer. That's the feeling I get anyway. Again, though, it doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done. Luther Dickinson from North Mississippi All Stars will sometimes use a cigar box guitar!

Archived