Bonzo' B-Day Party 5/31/73

snapper

I've had this recording for a long time but haven't listened to it for quite a while.

I just played Heartbreaker & Whole Lotta Love from this show, and I must say that this is one of their all time greatest performances. I don't think I've ever heard them so damn loose and daring, just when you think they're not gonna pull it together, they do,

its just so amazing and enjoyable.

I like the way Bonham playfully taps out a beat on his snare-rim while Page is playing his quite little hillybilly section during Heartbreaker. They are clearly having a blast and playing with so much confidence and power that its tangible.

This is what Led Zeppelin is all about, isn't it? Pure fucking magic!

That whole week, week and a half of shows at the end of the first leg in '73 are unreal. if you like that, check out San Francisco and San Diego, as well as the truncated Salt Lake City show. All are great quality shows and incredible performances.

The San Francisco Kezar Stadium show is my favorite from the USA of 1973. :D

Mine is the Three Days After show in LA (6/3), which is quickly being surpassed by San Diego because of the quality and the performance. I think the SD show is tremendously overlooked ... and simply because of the visual element from Kezar (the picture of Plant with the dove, etc.).

Mine is the Three Days After show in LA (6/3), which is quickly being surpassed by San Diego because of the quality and the performance. I think the SD show is tremendously overlooked ... and simply because of the visual element from Kezar (the picture of Plant with the dove, etc.).

I only had "Three Day's After".....I have never heard the first 2/3 of that concert. so I can not say if it is better.

I used to have that poster bro!.....lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I had borrowed this from a friend of mine in late '73, shortly after my Led Zeppelin "baptism" at age 14. I remember it had a commercial for California Prunes in the middle of it, and Robert led the audience to sing Happy Birthday to Bonzo! The first Zeppelin bootleg I ever heard.

I had borrowed this from a friend of mine in late '73, shortly after my Led Zeppelin "baptism" at age 14. I remember it had a commercial for California Prunes in the middle of it, and Robert led the audience to sing Happy Birthday to Bonzo! The first Zeppelin bootleg I ever heard.

I had that one it was a TMQ release. It came in a pastel green sleeve, both LPs were on green vinyl.

• 3 weeks later...
This is what Led Zeppelin is all about, isn't it? Pure fucking magic!

Indeed. This the first boot I ever heard. I remember it came in a puke-green, plain cover with a white, pull-out insert with a drawing of a pig coming out of a birthday cake. There was not a commercial for CA prunes (not on this version, anyway). I think side one began with TSRTS...I remember the palpable exitement in the audience before the song started. Dont believe this was the actual first song of the show, just the way the bootmaster presented it...

Also, during "Dazed..." during the bow stunt trick you hear some in the audience uttering, "Oh my God...." in obvious stunned awe...

Also, my first ever time hearing "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker" live...wow! And yes, love the 'hillbilly' portion on "Heartbreaker"! Awesome!

Archived