The Political debate thread

The Bomber

I check them all out. I believe ( hope ) when I pick through all the BS from different media outlets that I can still be confused :wacko::D

I hear you there. This is the longest I've ever gone without knowing who I'm gonna choose. I will more than likely vote for whoever keeps their mouth shut the most :D

Will allow different media B)

BushBird.gif

BushBird.gif

Fly away like a bird and take your alcoholic kids with you.

I have a black kid in AP World History class, and for some reason the Democratic nomination became the topic of the lesson (this happened a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd post it anyways)

He said Hillary shouldn't be president because (and I shit you not) she's a woman, and according to the Bible (Baptist I think he said he was) men are supposed to lead the family, and the country is like a family. Thus, he theorized, only men should hold the role of president.

"So, you're sexist?" I asked.

"No I'm not."

"But it would be racist for me to not vote for Obama because he's black?"

"Yes." (I'm actually quoting here...this is exactly how the conversation went, in front of the whole class)

"But...voting because of gender isn't sexist?"

"*Odd look on his face* How is that sesxist? he asked.

"...All right. Not getting through to you. Well if you get to use the Bible to advance your theories so can I. According to the Bible, slavery should still exist because we don't have a moral obligation to get rid of it. It tells you how to treat a slave, but never says to free him/her. So basically slaves should still be working plantations"

"Oh no you didn't."

"Damn straight. Do you seriously not see your own hypocrisy?"

At that point the teacher had to jump in and change subjects...exciting day to say the least.

I'd like to point out I'm not racist, and I think slavery was horrible and we did, in fact, have a moral obligation to get rid of it. However, I got under the heat of the moment I guess you can say. My bad.

I have a black kid in AP World History class, and for some reason the Democratic nomination became the topic of the lesson (this happened a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd post it anyways)

He said Hillary shouldn't be president because (and I shit you not) she's a woman, and according to the Bible (Baptist I think he said he was) men are supposed to lead the family, and the country is like a family. Thus, he theorized, only men should hold the role of president.

"So, you're sexist?" I asked.

"No I'm not."

"But it would be racist for me to not vote for Obama because he's black?"

"Yes." (I'm actually quoting here...this is exactly how the conversation went, in front of the whole class)

"But...voting because of gender isn't sexist?"

"*Odd look on his face* How is that sesxist? he asked.

"...All right. Not getting through to you. Well if you get to use the Bible to advance your theories so can I. According to the Bible, slavery should still exist because we don't have a moral obligation to get rid of it. It tells you how to treat a slave, but never says to free him/her. So basically slaves should still be working plantations"

"Oh no you didn't."

"Damn straight. Do you seriously not see your own hypocrisy?"

At that point the teacher had to jump in and change subjects...exciting day to say the least.

I'd like to point out I'm not racist, and I think slavery was horrible and we did, in fact, have a moral obligation to get rid of it. However, I got under the heat of the moment I guess you can say. My bad.

I've had too many conversations about racism with uneducated black students over the years that it never amazes me when something like that is discussed.

I've had too many conversations about racism with uneducated black students over the years that it never amazes me when something like that is discussed.

Thats why the Rev. Wright thing is so bad for obama. Racism will never die as long as there is Rev. wrights in the world spreading hate becasue of hate. Im not voting Obama not becasue he's black, im not voting for him because i think he need more time in washington politics and i don't agree with his stance on issues. But with him as president, it would bring on more preachers of hate, becasue they know they have a budddy in the white House. Same thing can be said about Mccain and his stupid relationships with those bastards.

Thats why the Rev. Wright thing is so bad for obama. Racism will never die as long as there is Rev. wrights in the world spreading hate becasue of hate. Im not voting Obama not becasue he's black, im not voting for him because i think he need more time in washington politics and i don't agree with his stance on issues. But with him as president, it would bring on more preachers of hate, becasue they know they have a budddy in the white House. Same thing can be said about Mccain and his stupid relationships with those bastards.

You act as if Obama isn't in the White House, there wouldn't be certain black preachers spewing racial hatred anyway. I don't agree with anything Wright said, but at the same time, Obama didn't say it nor do I think believes necessarily what was said. Anyone who has been to church can testify that things are said by pastors, reverands and preachers from time to time that seem alittle nutty. It's just different news when a member of the church happens to be running for President of the United States.

You act as if Obama isn't in the White House, there wouldn't be certain black preachers spewing racial hatred anyway. I don't agree with anything Wright said, but at the same time, Obama didn't say it nor do I think believes necessarily what was said. Anyone who has been to church can testify that things are said by pastors, reverands and preachers from time to time that seem alittle nutty. It's just different news when a member of the church happens to be running for President of the United States.

Well thats why i don't go to church, I find most churches and most church goers hypocritical (well the people I met). Yes you are right about Obama, but this makes him human and if he can't run on being this mystical figure, he has to run on issues and leadership, and that may/will hurt him. There will be this kind of hate both ways, (in which i was aware of ), but yes the only reason it's a story is because he's running for president. Obama is politicain like the rest of them.

I didn't get a color, just a message that said to expect a knock on my door within 24 hours :unsure:

hahahahaha :o

Funny stuff right there.

Im in the green but close to the middle. But I hate the questions cause they do not have a I really don't give a %^$# response. Or a, "whatttt? response.

He actaully said:

The rev. didn't say anything that wasn't true...

He actaully said:

Referring to what he said about the black community in America, to which I agree. I don't however, agree with what Wright said about 9/11 and all that other crap. And Obama 'agreed' on his rant about the African-American community's situation, not some conspiracy theory.

Liberals are the ones who encourage social change. They are idealists who can envisage society operating in different modes. They believe in progression and look to the future. Their views however can be impractical and based too much in idealism.

Conservatives like to maintain structures from the past. They are not idealists as their views are shaped by the status quo. Their arguments promulgate tradition over progression. Conservatives have a tendency to be members of organisations such as Churches due to their ability to live inside a rigid structure with rules and regulations clearly defined, and where moral and ethical questions are decided for them.

Liberals are the ones who encourage social change. They are idealists who can envisage society operating in different modes. They believe in progression and look to the future. Their views however can be impractical and based too much in idealism.

Conservatives like to maintain structures from the past. They are not idealists as their views are shaped by the status quo. Their arguments promulgate tradition over progression. Conservatives have a tendency to be members of organisations such as Churches due to their ability to live inside a rigid structure with rules and regulations clearly defined, and where moral and ethical questions are decided for them.

You just gave me the cold chills- brr! It's amazing how many self proclaimed liberals I know who sound exactly like the conservatives you just described. Must be a midwestern thing. I come from SoCal liberals, so my daily life has been a culture clash from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed... for the past,oh, 30-35 years or so.

It makes me wonder if the idealism is sometimes just something to pay lip service to, in order to look good. Maybe we could say the same aout some conservatives, too! Ideaology vs. reality, or the conbimation of both, is an interesting thing to think about.

Archived