TSRTS Soundtrack!

bonzo1026

Okay, you guys have pretty much convinced me this CD/DVD package isn't worth it. I've already got the original issues, and just to have more treble and bass, or to have a pop in Robert's voice cut out? The extra songs don't add up to a whole lot, either, when I've already got multiple versions of those tunes. Perhaps we're looking at Jimmy's first-ever fumble? He should reissue this in 2008.

Okay, you guys have pretty much convinced me this CD/DVD package isn't worth it. I've already got the original issues, and just to have more treble and bass, or to have a pop in Robert's voice cut out? The extra songs don't add up to a whole lot, either, when I've already got multiple versions of those tunes. Perhaps we're looking at Jimmy's first-ever fumble? He should reissue this in 2008.

Are you talking about Mothership or The Song Remains the Same?

Try listening to it on a good surround sound system before passing judgement. The sound is amazing! B) Dazed will blow your f***ing socks off. The new soundtrack has a sonic quality to it that the original can not even come close to. Especially not by simply adjusting the treble and bass. :huh:

Thanks!!

BestBuy is becoming a complete joke when it comes to new releases. They always have stuff at least 24 to 48 hours late, if at all. I got my copy of TSRTS CD yesterday for $19.99. :blink: and I was told the DVD would come out on the 27th. :angry:

What's weird is that Best Buy was the only featured retailer in the full page add in the Jan. 2008 Guitar World, the one with Jimmy on the cover. Inside the cover was the add for the Mothership and TSRTS.

What I did see at best Buy yeaterday was a large display with many copies of Justin Timberlake's DVD. And, another large display with lots of copies of Tom Petty's DVD. I guess Best Buy really knows what the public needs to watch ! :burp:

I stopped in at Circuit City today, and they still had several copies of the DVD, the SE DVD, and the CD. Because the DVD price was so good ($11.99), I purchased a second copy, whcih I immeadiately took to the branch of the Public Library nearby, and I donated it. This was not the first time that I have donated a copy of TSRTS to the library. Over the years, I have donated 3 or 4 copies of TSRTS, to the Public Library near where I lived.

Doing what I can to spread the joy of Led Zeppelin to the people. B)

A TRAVESTY!!! Everything would have been FINE if they would have released what they said they were going to release (A Re Issue of TSRTS soundtrack album).

Which this is definitely NOT!!!

I cannot find even one moment that is the same as on the album...It's just like the cassette tape I made of the VHS movie 20 years ago....

I knew as soon as R&R started, that it was the FILM version, and NOT the TSRTS soundtrack album version...I wanted to turn it off then, sensing what was ahead, but I waited patiently until NQ came on....I knew Instantly that it was again the FILM version, and NOT the TSRTS soundtrack album version...What did I have to lose then, I put in the second disc and went to track 2, rewound a few seconds and heard "Jimmy Page Electric Guitar"...I Knew then that the D&C was the 3 version edit from the FILM, and NOT the one from TSRTS soundtrack album....What the hell was the thinking behind this?(aside from $$$) As I said before, a TRAVESTY!!!! Jimmy must just be a fucking retard to release something like this....Sure, it sounds good, but what good is good sound if the music is FAKE? Sure, OTHAFA is cool, but I have it already, and it sounds MUCH better than this...sure, the other extra songs are cool, but again, have them already....A total waste of time, money and effort on the bands behalf!!

stu

Thats classy, calling Jimmy a retard. With such insight I can't wait to see what this board turns into. It's no wonder most of the pre 03 members who actually had something to say are long gone.

Thats classy, calling Jimmy a retard. With such insight I can't wait to see what this board turns into. It's no wonder most of the pre 03 members who actually had something to say are long gone.

No, I called him a "Fucking Retard".....

If that's the only thing in my rant that you disagree with, I consider it a successdul rant B)

Bottom line is, for the average fan, or teenager, this is incredible!!!!

For someone older who is an obsessed fan like alot of us are, it's an embarressment...

SOUND was not an issue whatsoever with the 1976 release....If it was, then just release the same tracks in better sound quality...

IMHO they've tarnished the image of a great Rock Album!

Peace

If that's the only thing in my rant that you disagree with, I consider it a successdul rant B)

For someone older who is an obsessed fan like alot of us are, it's an embarressment...

SOUND was not an issue whatsoever with the 1976 release....If it was, then just release the same tracks in better sound quality...

Peace

I'm a hardcore fan and think the re-releaase is absolutely fantastic.

The original 76' release is so ingrained in me, this is almost a new release as far as I'm concerned. And the sound is the strongest aspect of the new release. In comparison, the old version sounds very dry, very flat. I really like how vibrant and in your face the sound is. For me personally, it makes up for a few questionable edits. If you hate the new TSRTS, don't listen to it. I'll certainely be listening to both for a long time to come, which I'm sure my neighbors will be (not so) thrilled with as I tend to listen to my Led loud.

I didnt know that the film and the soundtrack were different versions as mentioned above, except of the edits on film/soundtrack back then.

I'm enjoying the sound, a great listen and this album has always been a great road trip record for me over the years. Even better now with the extra songs!

The DVD looks and sounds great. However, I'm very disappointed that the

new soundtrack is of the film rahter than the soundtrack proper that I grew up with. I guess I'm just gonna have to live with the older CD version, tired mix and all. Well, I still have my vinyl version too! :)

Peace

Actually, I disagreed with your whole statement but you are entitled to your opinion. I took exception to the fact you had to be so disrespectful toward Jimmy. Not necessary to do that to get across your point that you didn't care for the new edition of TSRTS.

I've been listening to TSRTS for 31 years now, I know every click and wheeze of it. I must agree I am somewhat shocked, dismayed and disappointed that they decided to change the parts rather than just give the old classic a tune up.

Particularly miss the two minutes from "No Quarter"; the first version of the guitar solo builds to the crescendo that BEGINS the guitar solo on the new version. Can't imagine what Page was thinking here; it was perfect before.

Obviously different version of "The Song Remains the Same": The spoken intro is missing, which all by itself is a loss;

The solo from the first version is so much more compelling, one of my all time favorite guitar solos, on any version of any song ...

... where is the urgency I strained and sweated 10,000 times when Plant sings, "Honolulu starbright, the song remains ... the same ... ooo yeah ... do it do it do it ... push ... push .... (here I left out some of the sequence.)

New version probably has a better last sequence, starting with "Sing out Hari Hari" ...

"Rock and Roll" feels very different;

"The Rain Song" ... differences less notable, but again the urgency is diminished.

Let me say this: I learned when I was about twelve years old that you must listen to an album at least ten times before you can legitimately analyze it from a position of knowledge. Like most of you, I am writing this as I listen and relisten to the new version, side-by-side with the old version.

I tell you this, this kine "The Ocean" kicks serious ... Wow!

I've been listening to TSRTS for 31 years now, I know every click and wheeze of it. I must agree I am somewhat shocked, dismayed and disappointed that they decided to change the parts rather than just give the old classic a tune up.

Particularly miss the two minutes from "No Quarter"; the first version of the guitar solo builds to the crescendo that BEGINS the guitar solo on the new version. Can't imagine what Page was thinking here; it was perfect before.

Obviously different version of "The Song Remains the Same": The spoken intro is missing, which all by itself is a loss;

The solo from the first version is so much more compelling, one of my all time favorite guitar solos, on any version of any song ...

... where is the urgency I strained and sweated 10,000 times when Plant sings, "Honolulu starbright, the song remains ... the same ... ooo yeah ... do it do it do it ... push ... push .... (here I left out some of the sequence.)

New version probably has a better last sequence, starting with "Sing out Hari Hari" ...

"Rock and Roll" feels very different;

"The Rain Song" ... differences less notable, but again the urgency is diminished.

Let me say this: I learned when I was about twelve years old that you must listen to an album at least ten times before you can legitimately analyze it from a position of knowledge. Like most of you, I am writing this as I listen and relisten to the new version, side-by-side with the old version.

I tell you this, this kine "The Ocean" kicks serious ... Wow!

completely agree about no quarter. that was one of the greatest recordings ever on the original, it was perfect. the jam before the solo was one of the best parts. page let me down on this one.

I don't see any reason why they decided to keep all of the edits from the movie in the CD. They didn't have any limitations in terms of visuals like the DVD, so why would they do this? What I'd do is buy the DVD and skip the CD (just buy Heartbreaker from iTunes, since you only get like a minute of that in the movie).

Peace

You are (and anybody else who's criticising these releases) talking absolute bollox mate, i'm 50 years old and fairly obsessed i suppose. These new versions of both the CD/DVD are absolutely stunning. The DTS mix on the DVD is mindblowing. As for the CDs, i'm more than pleased............. oh and as i have the originals i can play whichever suits my mood.

Youre talking absolute bollox mate, i'm 50 years old and fairly obsessed i suppose. These new versions of both the CD/DVD are absolutely stunning. The DTS mix on the DVD is mindblowing. As for the CDs, i'm more than pleased............. oh and as i have the originals i can play whichever suits my mood.

I agree with you 100 Percent. The sonic improvement is stunning. I am glad to own both the new cd and dvd versions.

I am not a purist,Page and Shriley can edit it how they see fit,I trust their music sensiblilities

BTW this maybe the last we hear from Zeppelin ever as far as official releases go so enjoy

Peace

Youre talking absolute bollox mate, i'm 50 years old and fairly obsessed i suppose. These new versions of both the CD/DVD are absolutely stunning. The DTS mix on the DVD is mindblowing. As for the CDs, i'm more than pleased............. oh and as i have the originals i can play whichever suits my mood.

Someone at Atlantic has screwed up majorly with the distribution though. I went to Best Buy today, no DVD, but they had copies of the CD. At Circuit City they had the DVD (expanded edition of course), but no CD.

What the hell were you expecting??The new cd edition has a stunning sound. And Page has tried to stay as faithful as tghe original performance. If there is too much editing and splicing toghether, you also shout cheat!! So stop complaining and enjoy this new version and keep the old version for your collections!!

You are (and anybody else who's criticising these releases) talking absolute bollox mate, i'm 50 years old and fairly obsessed i suppose. These new versions of both the CD/DVD are absolutely stunning. The DTS mix on the DVD is mindblowing. As for the CDs, i'm more than pleased............. oh and as i have the originals i can play whichever suits my mood.

sound sound sound!!!!!

You are all being scammed by good sound!!!! What good is good sound if the actual music is compromised to achieve it?..I NEVER said that id didn't SOUND good.....

I just said they should have released what they said the were going to release!!!

A Reissue of TSRTS soundtrack album....This is nothing but a recording of the DVD......

I think it's telling that Kevin Shirley, the guy who did the remastering, said he was only doing one interview on the project. "With the Internet it's possible to do a lot of nitpicking, but it's just made to be enjoyed," or something like that, he said. Now I think maybe they foresaw there would be a lot of noise about this and wanted to avoid answering 1,000 questions.

Remaster masterpiece. The one I’ve been waiting for. On his Thanksgiving visit, our son brought TSRTS CD and the new issue of Guitar World home for me. While he was outside with the other young people, we played it, lying on our backs on the floor with our heads between the speakers. From the roar of the crowd at the beginning of Rock and Roll, we were in another place and could no longer hear the kids roughhousing outside. I was there when those concerts were recorded and, since then, I have purchased every incarnation of TSRTS. This remaster is transporting. It has the capability to evoke so many vivid memories of those nights and, through that, allows me to relive and feel, once again, the magic. Splendid and amazing. All of it. Hearing Bonzo’s titanic drumming reminded me, more acutely than ever, of how much we lost when he left this world. Still and always, the greatest rock drummer. Jimmy is a master – he consistently stretches what guitar playing is about, what it can do. His brilliant guitar solos alone are worth more than the price of the CDs.

Archived