Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bonzo1026

TSRTS Soundtrack!

The new TSRTS DVD/CD package is a 9.5 overall. Sound and picture are great, it's almost a grand slam, if not for the one legit gripe about the first 1 min and 30 seconds of Page's classic live solo on No Quarter being cut out on the new DVD/CD. It should have been on there just like the original TSRTS soundtrack CD, of all the things to leave out, it's only his greatest live solo of all time. It is a thorn in my zephead side that he left it out. I understand they wanted the CD to match the DVD, but a person listening in their car to the CD doesn't care about the DVD, he wants to hear the full version. I can handle it missing from the DVD, but not the CD too. That being said, Jones bass pedals on NQ will rattle your windows.

Other than that, it's so kickass, it's ridiculous. It also has DTS 5.1, which is better than regular Dolby 5.1. The jams are wilder, more expansive, tighter, and more interesting than most on the 2003 DVD and that's saying alot. Zep is on fire jam-wise here. Dazed and Confused is 29 minutes of pure super-human improvisation and riffing, and has the full drum fills on the San Francisco sections. Violin bow is CRAZY, my favorite Page moment ever, check it out in 5.1, serious power. And the WLL from the DVD menu is a totally different killer version (and I mean killer) from any other TSRTS version, the bass lines by JPJ on it are ridiculous, nobody outrocks Jones on bass. The menus have amazing footage. I guarantee as soon you put on the DVD on, you will have a huge smile on your face the way the DVD menu kicks in.

Bottom Line: GET IT IMMEDIATELY OR REPENT YOUR ZEPPELIN SINS. The price is right and the collector's edition package is STELLAR. Go ahead. Do it. You know you want it.

Edited by Tea41

First of all, I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving(guess that applies only

to Americans).

And since I don't want to kill my Thanksgiving good vibes, I'll wait before posting

about my thoughts on the TSRTS release and my dissapointment with

those edits on the cd(Black Dog and No Quarter being especially egregious).

But I couldn't help notice how many people seem to be having a hard time FINDING

the damn thing...where do you people live?

Because I had no problem walking into Border's and Amoeba's the morning of

Tuesday November 20 and buying the cd, the dvd AND the Limited Collector's

Edition Box Set(dvd, cd, lobby cards, t-shirt, the works)...using my Border's

Reward card and coupon I paid only $34 for the special box set...I bought 2, one

for me and one for a Christmas gift(haven't yet decided which one of my friends

or relatives will be the lucky one to get it).

Granted, Border's only had 3 copies of the special box set, but they still had

tons of the dvds and cds already in stock and on a special Led Zeppelin display

along with the recent Mothership releases.

But then, I live in Los Angeles, where they KNOW not to be late with any Zeppelin

product, hehehe.

sound sound sound!!!!!

You are all being scammed by good sound!!!! What good is good sound if the actual music is compromised to achieve it?..I NEVER said that id didn't SOUND good.....

I just said they should have released what they said the were going to release!!!

A Reissue of TSRTS soundtrack album....This is nothing but a recording of the DVD......

Ho hum, What was released is what they said they were going to release. if you can't grasp that then that's your problem. Nobody is being scammed, nothing is compromised. I dont care whether the music on the CDs and DVDs is the same or different or whatever. All i care about is my musical enjoyment, which is what i'm getting BIG TIME.

As much as I enjoy the sound of the CD, I just can't get over my disappointment of the cut version of No Quarter being on there. When I first heard of this release my thought was, 'YES! Now I can hear a cleaned up version of No Quarter!' NQ being the highlight of the soundtrack for me. As a guitar player, I've always considered the song to have some of Jimmy's most interesting and tasteful playing on it. Why on earth was the film version used????

As much as I enjoy the sound of the CD, I just can't get over my disappointment of the cut version of No Quarter being on there. When I first heard of this release my thought was, 'YES! Now I can hear a cleaned up version of No Quarter!' NQ being the highlight of the soundtrack for me. As a guitar player, I've always considered the song to have some of Jimmy's most interesting and tasteful playing on it. Why on earth was the film version used????

The uncut/unremastered version is still readily available. The sound quality obviously is lesser, but I don't think there are any cuts on it.

I would buy the cd just to hear the touches and enhancements on the live sound, -moby dick is a great listen! For myself, its been awhile since i was listening to the soundtrack and havent watched the old version of -tsrts on dvd for a very long time, listened to the soundtrack alot in the late 80s/early 90s, so this is a very refreshing and exciting listen.

Afterall this is the record that led thousands of people to go out in search of -led zeppelin "bootlegs".

I would buy the cd just to hear the touches and enhancements on the live sound, -moby dick is a great listen! For myself, its been awhile since i was listening to the soundtrack and havent watched the old version of -tsrts on dvd for a very long time, listened to the soundtrack alot in the late 80s/early 90s, so this is a very refreshing and exciting listen.

Afterall this is the record that led thousands of people to go out in search of -led zeppelin "bootlegs".

That is true, I'm sure TSRTS doubled the size of the Zep bootleg market or something of similar magnitude.

That is true, I'm sure TSRTS doubled the size of the Zep bootleg market or something of similar magnitude.

For that alone, it's great that they revisited it (a landmark album for led zep) and its smart marketing ofcourse. Maybe they thought it would also get lost in their catalogue, with whatever other releases are to come over the years.

Ho hum, What was released is what they said they were going to release. if you can't grasp that then that's your problem. Nobody is being scammed, nothing is compromised. I dont care whether the music on the CDs and DVDs is the same or different or whatever. All i care about is my musical enjoyment, which is what i'm getting BIG TIME.

:rolleyes: NO It is NOT what they said they were going to release...I think you're the one with "Grasping" problems....The album was changed beyond regognition just in the name of "Good sound".....This is like re issuing the second album, and when we buy it, it has Coda on it....

:rolleyes: NO It is NOT what they said they were going to release...I think you're the one with "Grasping" problems....The album was changed beyond regognition just in the name of "Good sound".....This is like re issuing the second album, and when we buy it, it has Coda on it....

This is question of individual taste.Some people are purists others focus on the sound-simple as that.

This is question of individual taste.Some people are purists others focus on the sound-simple as that.

So a "purist" can't enjoy the sound of the new release? :rolleyes:

You talk as if the original soundtrack wasn't already a massive cut and paste job. It's not like Page and Shirley edited a once completely unaltered concert, completely true to the actual performence. We now simply have two cut and paste soundtracks. Both have their strangths and weaknesses, and I tend to enjoy BOTH for a long time. B)

I'm ok with the edits on TSRTS, but the reason why the No Quarter cut on the new CD is so devastating to lots of people (me included) is because is it SO LONG of a cut, it's over 1 and a half minutes of his best solo cut out. That being said his "other" best solos of all time, his technically mesmerizing 12-string romp on the actual song "TSRTS" and STH (both from TSRTS) are completely intact and sound incredible. The thing is they had all the 3 nights complete on multi-track according to Shirley, so the NQ piece that was cut out was definitely available to put into the CD (like the orginal CD soundtrack). The only other thing weird with NQ is the timpani and gong hits right before the guitar solo section (at the end of Jones solo) is totally thinned out, overcompressed, and overwashed in too much flanger, losing most of it's wallop and low end. Listen to the orginal CD soundtrack at that point and the timpani/gong hit is HUGE and powerful. Shirley can at times go a little too flanger happy. Curious why Page would approve so much effects on Bonzo's timpani/gong to the point of losing the original sound of the timpani/gong (Page never over-uses effects so I am surprised he let this slide). Again, I'm just giving an opinion as it just came out and it's an exciting "new" Zeppelin mix, so these sonic critique's are merely observational and are fair game for the hardcore Zeppelin fans that know the music well. I still love the package.

Edited by Tea41

Look if you don't like the new version, don't listen to it.............. it is what it is so get over it. Like i said before i'm more than happy, grateful, elated that we have somethig fresh to enjoy. Ok i did think wtf when i first heard NQ but the more listen to the new version i think it has more of an even flow. I do think the missing noodly jam bit near the end of the solo that is on the original is a touch of genius but i can still listen to it when i want too.......... So you have your opinion, I have mine. (though i thought your Freakout was quite funny lol.) That's it i'm done. Edited by johnthomasmoby

oh im really looking forward to tomorrow when i get my DVD and CD package from amazon... must be brilliant from what i read here

I haven't yet purchased it, but it seems the concensus is that this remastered TSTRS is only of the musically inferior theatrical TSTRS and not of the live album TSRTS. I've really only listened to the live album version in the past but it scares me a little to read such things, since my recollection of the theatrical version is that the music is indeed inferior. It's apparent that the first time around great care was taken to provide a musically superior version on the audio-only vinyl release; this time they made no such effort. On a side note, I'm happy to read that other people were as mesmerized by the live album version of the NQ solo as me. I erroneously thought I was unique in that sense.

The DVD should be well worth it since it's shortcomings are the same as the original version and the improvements are apparently significant. The question we have to ask ourselves is why should we buy the CD? It's a bittersweet day for me to get the remastered TSRTS DVD in full glory, only to find out we'll probably never get a remastered version of the TRTS live album...ever! Oh well. It wouldn't dissapoint me so much if the press releases hadn't gotten my hopes up, but I'll live.

Also there are people who who've defended this remaster, but they curiously only comment on only the sound quality and never comment on whether they think the actual music is better or worse, so we dont' know what they think about that. Oh, and is there not a full version of Heartbreaker on the DVD? If not, why not?

Edited by selection7

Got my copy of the double cd on the weekend, and listened to it on the way to work, Inotice justbefore Jimmys Thermin solo, thyere has been some added flange and echo effects which sound kinda cool and creepy at the same time, but yeah dissapointd with the edits, but sounds very chrisp sounding and nice on a 5.1 surround sound system, DVD version was not available in Sydney on the weekend but probably in this week,

Edited by LebZeppelin

I saw SRTS DVD last night and it is fantastic! I love the extras.

The visual upgrade is stunning.

I haven't bought the CD and not sure I am going to yet. I never listened to it much on vinyl.

P.S. Anyone coming into a LZ forum and calling Jimmy Page retarded must be themselves, mentally challenged. <_<

I just don't get this thing were people think they are the worlds biggest fan and shoot everyone else down around, because obviously, the rest of us are not worthy. :rolleyes:

That's just retar... :blink:

Also there are people who who've defended this remaster, but they curiously only comment on only the sound quality and never comment on whether they think the actual music is better or worse, so we dont' know what they think about that. Oh, and is there not a full version of Heartbreaker on the DVD? If not, why not?

Personally I feel the music itself remains of the utmost quality. Would I like the soundtrack to include things like a full Black Dog, or a No Quarter that still has that 1:30 that was cut out? Of course. However, a few questionable edits aside, IMHO the feel of the performance remains intact.

Oh, and the reason a full Heartbreaker is not included on the DVD is because they were NOT allowed to alter the visuals of the film in any way. Apparently, to do so would involve a bunch of legal issues to sort out.

Edited by Killing Floor Blues

Personally I feel the music itself remains of the utmost quality. Would I like the soundtrack to include things like a full Black Dog, or a No Quarter that still has that 1:30 that was cut out? Of course. However, a few questionable edits aside, IMHO the feel of the performance remains intact.

Oh, and the reason a full Heartbreaker is not included on the DVD is because they were NOT allowed to alter the visuals of the film in any way. Apparently, to do so would involve a bunch of legal issues to sort out.

Actually they dont have a complete video version of Heartbreaker,otherwise he would have included it on the 2003 DVD

I purchased a second copy, whcih I immeadiately took to the branch of the Public Library nearby, and I donated it. This was not the first time that I have donated a copy of TSRTS to the library. Over the years, I have donated 3 or 4 copies of TSRTS, to the Public Library near where I lived.

Doing what I can to spread the joy of Led Zeppelin to the people. B)

:) Nice move! :beer: here's to you. :)

I'm a hardcore fan and think the re-releaase is absolutely fantastic.

The original 76' release is so ingrained in me, this is almost a new release as far as I'm concerned.

Good point. I think this balances any criticisms of the CD Soundtrack.

It is NOT a re-master definitive version of the old live album, it is an entirely new release.

:) Thank you for putting this in perspective for me :)

...I bought 2, one

for me and one for a Christmas gift(haven't yet decided which one of my friends

or relatives will be the lucky one to get it).

:lol: can I be your friend? :):lol:

----------------------

I think it is very interesting to hear the many and varied opinions about the new CD/DVD.

Some people like it and others not so much, but I don't think disagreeing with someone's statement that they don't like it is legitimate.

"I don't like it. "

"What? you should like it, it's great. Like it or you're dumb."

That's kind of silly, isn't it? The negative reviews are just as valuable as the positive.

(name calling aside)

----------------------

As far as availability, I'm a little surprised that 'Target', 'Best Buy' and 'Circuit City' are the first choices for people looking to buy new music.

I've been living outside the U.S. for over 8 years now, so maybe things have changed, but, aren't there any real music stores anymore? You know, stores that sell nothing but music and employ people who are interested in and knowledgeable about music?

I'm not really surprised places like Circuit City, Best Buy and so forth don't care about the official release date. It's just another bar code to them, probably not too far away from a bar of soap or a light bulb on their inventory list. Like I said, I've been away too long, but I'd think that if you want something immediately upon release your best bet would be a specialty store. If you want the best price, then you'll probably have to wait.

Just yesterday I was just talking to my friend who owns a small record shop specializing in post-rock and other indies artists. He was telling me kids come in, listen to the CD and then go order it from Amazon or HMV so they can get free shipping or a buy 3 get Nn% off and save a little money. They had the thing in their hands at his store, but didn't buy it. They were willing to wait a few more days (or weeks! as is usually my experience with Amazon) to get the better price via free shipping.

I don't think it's realistic to expect lowest prices and up-to-the-minute products.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned. :unsure:

Actually they dont have a complete video version of Heartbreaker, otherwise he would have included it on the 2003 DVD

If not on the 03' DVD, it would have probably ended up on the "Extras" disc to the TSRTS re-release.

In regards to the pricing and smaller music stores vs. large retail chains....i paid the sticker price, 19.99 for mothership at a small used cd store and a bit under the sticker price of 19.99 for -tsrts at best buy. The smaller place sold out of -tsrts dvd and best buy is expecting their local shipment on the 27th. Out of curiousity i went to another place, -fye music store and they had the -mothership and the -tsrts cds marked up to 26.99 and didnt have the dvd. There are not very many small record/cd places any more around here, just a few.

I thought it strange for the dvd to be somewhat unavailable on a release date.

If not on the 03' DVD, it would have probably ended up on the "Extras" disc to the TSRTS re-release.

I think maybe they couldn't find enough footage for it.

Then again, he could've just done what he did with Royal Albert Hall, and put in a bunch of pictures and slow motion.

The real treat for me was Over the Hills, when I heard the solo it was just like hearing the soundtrack

the day I bought it 30 years ago. What a smile I had on my face. I call my friend who's going to the concert with me and lives on the opposite end of Canada and played it to him over the phone. On a very good sound system you can really hear how they cleaned it up and the true ambience and accoustics of the arena really come through. I ordered the DVD from Amazon and can't wait!

Expected delivery is a day before I leave for London so hopefully I'll be watching it on the plane trip accross the pond!! TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!

Things just seemed better organized for the 2003 releases of HTWWW and the LZ DVD. The press releases stated correctly what the products were, and they were widely available (at less locally for me) the day of release. In fact, all the music places I shop at had dedicated display areas for them.

This time around confusion seems to have crept in. For one, I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition DVD, which at the time the press release stated the soundtrack CD would be included. Therefore, I didn't order the soundtrack at that time. The product description on Amazon said 2 discs, so when I opened my DVD package last week, I was disappointed in not finding a CD in there. Oh well, I went out and bought the soundtrack anyway. Mainly because I so dearly love the original soundtrack version of NQ. Yes, that very 1:30 minutes of Page's solo is the reason I re-bought something I already have on vinyl and the old CD mix. Soundwise, it is lovely, but I see no logical reason for the film edited version on a soundtrack album that IMHO was fine, it just needed some cleaning up.

Had I known NQ had been cut, I never would have bought the CD.

Then there's the difficulty in finding these newer releases. A friend of mine in another state went to three different stores the day of release before he was able to purchase both CD and DVD. And record companies wonder why people prefer to download music these days... All in all, he said he drove around for about an hour and a half wasting gas and his time.

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever. I was blown away by the 2003 releases. I love the new TSRTS DVD, although I wish it contained more unseen footage, but I'm very happy with the film. The CD however, has left me cold and for the first time disappointed with something Page has produced. Hell, I even loved Coda.