TSRTS Soundtrack!

bonzo1026

First of all, Stu, you don't know what you're talking about. No one ever even hinted from the Zep camp or Kevin Shirley that this would be the old soundtrack revamped. Shall I re-post the original press release or the interview with Mr. Shirley? It is the soundtrack to the film. Hello? That's what soundtrack means. If anything, the original soundtack was the dupe as it wasn't true to the film. As for cuts, the original soundtrack had hundreds of them. You're just used to hearing it a certain way. I have boots of all three nights. Everything ever officially issued has been a massive edit fest from all three nights. I hear this bitching about the beginning of the NQ solo being cut, yet I don't hear any whining about the original soundtack have the last minute of the very same solo cut. Do your homework before crying "scamming" "fucking retards". If you don't like the result, you're entitled to your feelings, but accusing Page and Shirley of pulling a bait-and-switch is bullshit, plain and simple. The bottom line is that they worked to make the music better fit the edits in the film, which they couldn't alter for legal reasons, improve the sound (which they have) and release an accompanying soundtrack cd, which they have. Delivered as promised. Any misleading impressions as to content were based on your hopes, not what was described in the press release.

BTW, the original press release said the Limited Edition would contain 3 discs. The dvds of film and the bonus materials, and the cd soundtrack. This was an error on behalf of the publicist department that Page and Shirley immediately had corrected. Shit happens. Maybe not to you, but for the rest of us, even the mighty Led Zeppelin, sometimes it's unavoidable.

If you want the original soundtrack, buy it. Frankly I still love my vinyl, but that's just me. If you feel ripped off, return your cd and make an audio rip of your dvd, and move on. There's talk of a complete 5.1 remaster of the catalog for the 40th anni. Maybe he'll accomodate the fans of the original soundtrack cuts. Regardless, name calling and cries of ripoff are again unwarranted and unjustified.

Ya had to go and make this sensible, straight forward post and ruin everyone's bitch fest didn't you! :angry:

:lol:

Completely agree. Good post Ev. Are there some questionable edits? Yes. But don't I feel the music, the atmosphere, or the "feel" of the soundtrack was compromised in any way. Like stated, the re-issue is a major edit fest, slightly different in places from the previous major edit fest.

Who knows what is left (if anything) in the Zeppelin vault that Page has hopes of releasing? With each Zep release, I kind of plan on it being the last. I for one will pass on complaining about minor editing details, crank up the surround sound, and proceed to piss the neighbors off. B)

But don't I feel the music, the atmosphere, or the "feel" of the soundtrack was compromised in any way. Like stated, the re-issue is a major edit fest, slightly different in places from the previous major edit fest.

Hard to argue that cutting out 1:30 of the buildup in the solo in NQ, including the signature guitar lick that introduces the solo, or excluding another minute plus of funk jam in WLL (which was many people's favorite part), or completely swapping out the definitive solo in CD for an inferior version, doesn't compromise the soundtrack. Sure there are good versions of previously unreleased songs, though mainly that is because, for some weird reason, there was no soundtrack CD for the 2003 DVD. So really, you get one completely "new "song, OTHAFA, a full version of a weak Heartbreaker, and half of a full version of BD that is complete on DVD. Great job guys!

Sure the soundtrack has always been what Zeppelin selected to present, but it's been there for 31 years and is a classic. Why screw around with it? The only thing I would have changed editwise would have been adding in the build at 24:00 in Dazed that's in the movie but was cut from the album, plus full versions of BD, OTHAFA, MMH, SIBLY and HB, obviously. That's it. This "matching the CD to the DVD to present it as a true soundtrack" argument doesn't hold any water since Rain Song and Heartbreaker are complete on the CD but not the movie.

If you're in favor of revisiting and tampering with classic Led Zeppelin albums, maybe Shirley and Pagey should revisit and improve Zeppelin IV. The sound is a little murky and I think there may be a different STH solo lying around somewhere. Black Dog would probably sound a LOT better with some added delay on the guitar. Hey, maybe there's another vocal take they can use on some of the songs! Why not? It's their music, and the version you are familiar with is only the version that they pasted together from different takes. They can change it if they want. The new fans won't know the difference, the casual fans will love the new super clear 5.1 surround sound while not caring about the changes and edits, and Zeppelin will be able to rake in the money. Only the diehard fans will be disappointed and who cares what they think? It's The Mighty Zeppelin! They should be happy they do anything!

I'm not so desperate for new Zeppelin releases that I'll foam at the mouth over whatever bone they throw out there. The TSRTS DVD is what is, which is seriously flawed. Always has been, looks like it always will be. They should have had some lawyers figure out the legalities so they could fix it, but they didn't. Whatever. The TSRTS CD at least had definitive versions of stuff, however they cobbled it together, but they saw fit to change it after 31 years. If you like it, enjoy it. For me, this is the first time Zeppelin has put out a substandard recording and I'm not dead chuffed about it.

In regards to -no quarter there are a few differences in how is sounds. The intro vocal, which -plant sang in a nasal sounding way that night is smoothed out, the loud high hat parts are totally toned down, along with another drum fill at the first part, that was way loud on the original. The -jpj keyboard parts are up and much clearer on the new version and to me the song flows really well on the newer version. I know the guitar cut is rough because the playing in -no quarter is always a great track to get lost in. Not an audiophile myself and i've been way off in trying to describe music before. The new version of -tsrts sounds much more like a -led zeppelin show where the older version did not with the missing tracks...and that's what i'm appreciating.

Sure the soundtrack has always been what Zeppelin selected to present, but it's been there for 31 years and is a classic. Why screw around with it? The only thing I would have changed editwise would have been adding in the build at 24:00 in Dazed that's in the movie but was cut from the album, plus full versions of BD, OTHAFA, MMH, SIBLY and HB, obviously. That's it. This "matching the CD to the DVD to present it as a true soundtrack" argument doesn't hold any water since Rain Song and Heartbreaker are complete on the CD but not the movie.

Last night I had an idea. I now have the remastered and the original version of this double CD soundtrack. I would like to burn a new copy using material from both versions and would like some suggestions. from what I have read, it seems that the original versions of all the songs from the first release are preferable to the new ones offered. Is this correct? Or, are some of the new ones offered uncut or for other reasons preferred to the old version?

I guess then I would take those versions, put them together with the new ones offered in the remaster only, with The Ocean placed at the end of Disc two instead of one, since it was an encore.

The two CDs would look like this (all tracks are from the Original soundtrack except those marked with an asterisk, which are from the remastered 2007 version):

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog*

Over the Hills and Far Away*

Misty Mountain Hop*

Since I've Been Loving You*

No Quarter

The Song Remains the Same

The Rain Song

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Moby Dick

Heartbreaker*

Whole Lotta Love

The Ocean*

How does this look? I haven't checked yet to see if side two would fit on one CD. I also realize that the sound won't be consistent throughout, but I would like to hear the best possible performances, with the least amount of cuts without resorting to bootlegs.

George

Last night I had an idea. I now have the remastered and the original version of this double CD soundtrack. I would like to burn a new copy using material from both versions and would like some suggestions. from what I have read, it seems that the original versions of all the songs from the first release are preferable to the new ones offered. Is this correct? Or, are some of the new ones offered uncut or for other reasons preferred to the old version?

I guess then I would take those versions, put them together with the new ones offered in the remaster only, with The Ocean placed at the end of Disc two instead of one, since it was an encore.

The two CDs would look like this (all tracks are from the Original soundtrack except those marked with an asterisk, which are from the remastered 2007 version):

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog*

Over the Hills and Far Away*

Misty Mountain Hop*

Since I've Been Loving You*

No Quarter

The Song Remains the Same

The Rain Song

Dazed and Confused

Stairway to Heaven

Moby Dick

Heartbreaker*

Whole Lotta Love

The Ocean*

How does this look? I haven't checked yet to see if side two would fit on one CD. I also realize that the sound won't be consistent throughout, but I would like to hear the best possible performances, with the least amount of cuts without resorting to bootlegs.

George

And WHY the hell is The Ocean on disc 1?

If added to disc 2, it only comes to like 76 minutes....Is Jimmy that anal that he refuses to release something in the correct running order?

Just another observation... :blink::D

If added to disc 2, it only comes to like 76 minutes....Is Jimmy that anal that he refuses to release something in the correct running order?

Maybe because he felt that doing it this way, there would be two separate concerts, with the Ocean serving as a ending for CD 1?

I don't understand the connection between being anal and refusing. If he were anal, he would have kept it's regular sequence. To me that'd be more anal than what he did.

Hard to argue that cutting out 1:30 of the buildup in the solo in NQ, including the signature guitar lick that introduces the solo, or excluding another minute plus of funk jam in WLL (which was many people's favorite part), or completely swapping out the definitive solo in CD for an inferior version, doesn't compromise the soundtrack. Sure there are good versions of previously unreleased songs, though mainly that is because, for some weird reason, there was no soundtrack CD for the 2003 DVD. So really, you get one completely "new "song, OTHAFA, a full version of a weak Heartbreaker, and half of a full version of BD that is complete on DVD. Great job guys!

If you're in favor of revisiting and tampering with classic Led Zeppelin albums, maybe Shirley and Pagey should revisit and improve Zeppelin IV. The sound is a little murky and I think there may be a different STH solo lying around somewhere. Black Dog would probably sound a LOT better with some added delay on the guitar. Hey, maybe there's another vocal take they can use on some of the songs! Why not? It's their music, and the version you are familiar with is only the version that they pasted together from different takes. They can change it if they want. The new fans won't know the difference, the casual fans will love the new super clear 5.1 surround sound while not caring about the changes and edits, and Zeppelin will be able to rake in the money. Only the diehard fans will be disappointed and who cares what they think? It's The Mighty Zeppelin! They should be happy they do anything!

I'm not so desperate for new Zeppelin releases that I'll foam at the mouth over whatever bone they throw out there. The TSRTS DVD is what is, which is seriously flawed. Always has been, looks like it always will be. They should have had some lawyers figure out the legalities so they could fix it, but they didn't. Whatever. The TSRTS CD at least had definitive versions of stuff, however they cobbled it together, but they saw fit to change it after 31 years. If you like it, enjoy it. For me, this is the first time Zeppelin has put out a substandard recording and I'm not dead chuffed about it.

That's a lot of thought you've put into the re-issueing of LZIV. :rolleyes:

Lets just agree to disagree.

We all know the saying about opinions....

Ya had to go and make this sensible, straight forward post and ruin everyone's bitch fest didn't you! :angry:

:lol:

Completely agree. Good post Ev. Are there some questionable edits? Yes. But don't I feel the music, the atmosphere, or the "feel" of the soundtrack was compromised in any way. Like stated, the re-issue is a major edit fest, slightly different in places from the previous major edit fest.

Who knows what is left (if anything) in the Zeppelin vault that Page has hopes of releasing? With each Zep release, I kind of plan on it being the last. I for one will pass on complaining about minor editing details, crank up the surround sound, and proceed to piss the neighbors off. B)

Agreed. I like what you wrote too. Especially your last sentence. I will do the same (but up here, because we have no neighbors, we'll just crank it up LOUDER).

I happen to agree with a lot in your post, it would be very wrong to mess with the Stereo mixes, but wanted to clarify a point about a possible 5.1 Led Zep Box set from the Quadraphonic / 5.1 fans point of view. This is completely different than the discussion of TSRTS DVD-Video soundtrack in 5.1.

First off, with the many SACD and DVD-Audio's we own what we really like is the fact that we get the Original Mixes that we're done in Stereo "untouched" but now have more detail and more nuances in the music because of the high Sample rates 24 bit / 96 kHz for DVD-Audio and 24 bit / 192 kHz for SACD's. CD (1980's technology) is only 16 bit / 44.1 kHz and MP3 is only about a 10th the sound quality of a CD. For those who have never heard DVD-A or SACD I highly encourage you to seek these discs out, they're killer.

High sample rates are the future of music, it's already here. As far as new multi-channel mixes from the original masters, some mixes are great like the Elton John SACD's and some are not so great. But if we can get a new box set with the original Stereo mixes at a high sample rate, not remixed but original, that would be a very good thing, without question. How a new 5.1 mix would sound, I don't know. But I prefer Quadraphonic type mixes as each speaker is treated the same, in that sound is allowed to move around equally by each speaker which then produces a lifelike 3 D sound field.

In a lot of 5.1 mixes for movies the rears unfortunately are used only for a little reverb or effects. I don't know why they just didn't give us the original cut with the original Quadraphonic mix. I hope those who never got a chance to hear this mix (4.0) like a lot of us did at the theaters in 1976, will someday get the opportunity. Put that killer 1976 Quadraphonic mix of TSRTS in the Box Set please. Thanks.

lets just say for the sake of argument that they released the original quadrophonic mix. How would you propose to play it?????. have the westrex corporation build you optical audio film transfer machine?

5.1 is not quadrophonic. the bass is in the center as in all low frequencies from all channels this makes it impossible to treat all the channels equally.

Do you want to listen to some of the drums behind you or certain registars of the farfisa on different speakers.?

they thro alittle reverb on the back channels for a reason.

Now I'm as nostalgic for old recording technology as anybody but having the courage to embrace the new stuff takes some getting used to.

engineering audio is much more complicated than most peolpe think because the engineer is confronted with many options.

arm chair engineers now hear this!!!!!

listening is totally subjective on a thousand levels

1. How is your room tuned? are you hearing things being bounced off walls

2. where are the speakers in your room?

3. what format are you listening to?

4. how many hours a day....ear fatigue

5. does your system color the sound before sending it out?

6. where are you in your room.

7. mor ...........................

I would propose that most of the new listeners to Zeppelin will be listening on their computers so for these systems the new mastering is best.

Its like saying I wish John Lennon used 16 trtacks on LSD instead of 4

The phasing you hear is not on OG VHS it must be a screw up in the mastering for the OG dvd SRTS

(probably one of the reasons for this new release)

It is possible to make your own mastered versions of the songs culled from old versions

The magnetic audio portion of the VHS or Beta is the best way to get your hands on Phat analog live Zep. So anyone who has problems with the mastering can just go ahead and remaster it yourself and show us how you can do it better than Page and Shirly.

You can grab the jam from NQ off the OG vinyl and insert into to OG VHS version and try to goose it so it doesent sound like an edit.

In the OG movie NQ was always an edit.

So what the fuck is the problem here?

I am an old 8track guy but do not expect anything to come out on 8track soon

sorry for ranting abouting something haven't heard yet

the funny thing is the more I listen to zepps music the more i realize how unconventional the mixing and mastering really were or are

remeber that quote from EddieC when he said tZerpp made up its own rules in the studio

the mixing and mastering was always weird

All the albums sound different (except for the drums)

different strange musical colors not provided by other bands

When I was a kid and listened to the albums i was aware that something was different about the mixing but somehow it helped focus my attention on the playing which as I got older turned out to be the most important thing.

so what greater gift could we get from Zeppelin than a whole nuther subjective view of the material.

lets just say for the sake of argument that they released the original quadrophonic mix. How would you propose to play it?????. have the westrex corporation build you optical audio film transfer machine?

Hello and thank you for your reply. I make DVD-Audio discs from Quadraphonic sources and also mix new 5.1 music all the time. So please let me be of help.

All that is needed for Quadraphonic playback on a modern system is a DVD-Audio or SACD disc. It can also be put on a normal CD encoded as DTS, thus what is known as a DTS-CD and is played in one's DVD player connected to an amp with DTS decoding. On a regular DVD-Video disc this is also no problem to do as well. We put the left Front channel in the left Front speaker, the right Front channel in the right Front speaker and the Rear left channel in the Rear left speaker, Rear right channel in the Rear right speaker. Works like a charm no problem. That is the way Quadraphonic sound was presented in the 1970's as far as speaker placement, although you may move your speakers for you're own listening enjoyment. There is no center speaker, but you can and do get center channel information, such as vocals in the middle, just as you do with stereo. As far as that .1 channel, bass management on your modern amplifier will still put the bass info into your subwoofer if you have satellite speakers for your 5.1 system and your amp set to the proper settings. This is what I have on my computer. But for home listening I use full range speakers on my 5.1 system and have the subwoofer shut off and the bass directed to the other 5 speakers. This is the way I like it to sound, but you can use a subwoofer if you prefer.

For more info on Disc formats this is a great place to start:

http://www.sa-cd.net/faq

And if you wish to learn more info about 5.1 and vintage Quadraphonic recordings and equipment please go here:

http://quadraphonicquad.com/

But please be nice and not confrontational as we are a small family of multi-channel fans. You can feel free to ask any newbe question and will be more than welcome to help learn and grow the interest in Hi-Rez Stereo and multi-channel sound, both cutting edge new and old. We still own 8 track tapes. Thanks.

I wasn't being confrontational only puting forth the notion of subjectivity in mastering.

for sure there are many ways to deal with center channel information.

and that for each format one has different options. turning off bass information is not a good option inmho because of the influence of harmonic distortion and the new lows of 12 h

but having heard it in quad I can see how you would want that seperation.

added: what works like a charm? puting the left to the left and the right to the right? thanks for clearing that up

turning off bass information is not a good option inmho because of the influence of harmonic distortion and the new lows of 12 h

but having heard it in quad I can see how you would want that seperation.

added: what works like a charm? puting the left to the left and the right to the right? thanks for clearing that up

Your info about harmonic distortion and the new lows of 12 h would be perfect to field at the Quad board. I find it interesting to consider.

Added:

Yes. You can get the sound surround field with just 4 channels, LF, RF, Ls, Rs, full range.

When authoring for Quadraphonic I do not put anything in the center channel or LFE (.1) channel. Authoring for LFE (.1) channel can be done, but is very tricky because not everyone's bass systems are the same. There is more info about this at the Quad board and other places. Hope this helps.

What is really cool is get a combo DVD-A / SACD player for under $200 (even cheaper on ebay or local store) and hook it up to a vintage Quad amp - one can get at the flee market or thrift store - or two Stereo amps via the amp's tape inputs RCA jacks. Make sure your DVD-A / SACD combo player has 5.1 RCA jacks on the back and that it has a built in DTS / Dolby Digital decoders, most do. I have this in the living room, warm sound from the vintage Quad 70's amp with new clean sound from the player.

Others have added another vintage Stereo Amp for the center channel and .1 for playback of 5.1 material. I have not tried this though.

Added info:

I run the center channel through my T. V. speakers (only on one living room set-up of many), when dealing with 5.1 mixes and a Quad amp. I know this one particular hook-up is low tech, but since all speakers are full range including the T. V., this works for me and I'm happy with it.

basicaly my point is this. during Zeppelin's recording carreer the industry standard was stereo with a certain frequency range that relighed on a certain amount of harmonic distortion from different sources (tube eq/magnet saturation/ groovedepth bass center

now there is a different industry standard

my deck has been updated by its inventor to get out of the way of a much wider range. my speakers are capable of a much wider range of representation also.

so if you listen to old mixes on new equipment......I'm sure its sounds fine

in the end its about getting away from the path of the tape and shortening the path of the magnetic pulse.

and understanding that the compression used today has different properties...the frequencies react differently to each other going to different formats. for example the depth and width of a vinyl groove have everything to do with what your speakers put out. The magnetic hard core saturation of the low frequencies(the ants) has everything to do with how the music sounds even though you can't actually hear those frequencies, they effect the frequencies that you do hear.

I will look into these quadrophonic discussions as multi channel outputs is at the top of my list of current authoring. you can make any kind of files you want and i'm glad you get so much satisfaction out of the assignment of those four channels but no matter how you chop it 5.1 has nothing to do with quadrophonics at all. because there is a center orientaion going on ..........

getting back to Led Zeppelin it basically comes down to how hard and how fast they can render a stereo mix without it clipping.

Well, I watched/listened to it today. Deep in the headphones. To be honest, I'd trade those incidental edits for the thousands of subtle notes coming out of Page's guitar alone! The sound of pick on string. And blimey! If Bonzo's bass drum doesn't sound like a real bass drum! It used to just be a percussive thump in the mix. You can here all the ghost strokes and the gentler bass drum strokes as well. So much more dynamic. Jonesy's bass has renewed presence as well. The instruments sound more organic. If I want the old parts, I'll put on my vinyl. It's always served me well. But I found notes in guitar solos I never knew were there. That's worth the price tenfold!

The one true peeve I have is Moby Dick. With the great drum sound throughout the preceding songs, I was really looking forward to the drum solo. Unfortunately they decided to put this ridiculously over-the-top flanger over the second half. What were they thinking? I know there were subtle phaser effects added at the board during parts, particularly the tympani and cymbals, but what's with this insane flanger? Which is made all the more lame by the fact that even the crowd noise is going "woosh"! Hello??? As if. A big, cheesy effect and a disappointment.

I'm also a bit bummed with the additional echo, particularly during the theremin section. I can live with it, as it doesn't degrade the experience for me. I know they were giving it some juice that wasn't originally there, and that's fine. Just hearing it with the edits smoothed out and all those new dynamics. Yowza!! :thumbsup:

basicaly my point is this. during Zeppelin's recording carreer the industry standard was stereo with a certain frequency range that relighed on a certain amount of harmonic distortion from different sources (tube eq/magnet saturation/ groovedepth bass center

now there is a different industry standard

my deck has been updated by its inventor to get out of the way of a much wider range. my speakers are capable of a much wider range of representation also.

so if you listen to old mixes on new equipment......I'm sure its sounds fine

in the end its about getting away from the path of the tape and shortening the path of the magnetic pulse.

and understanding that the compression used today has different properties...the frequencies react differently to each other going to different formats. for example the depth and width of a vinyl groove have everything to do with what your speakers put out. The magnetic hard core saturation of the low frequencies(the ants) has everything to do with how the music sounds even though you can't actually hear those frequencies, they effect the frequencies that you do hear.

I will look into these quadrophonic discussions as multi channel outputs is at the top of my list of current authoring. you can make any kind of files you want and i'm glad you get so much satisfaction out of the assignment of those four channels but no matter how you chop it 5.1 has nothing to do with quadrophonics at all. because there is a center orientaion going on ..........

getting back to Led Zeppelin it basically comes down to how hard and how fast they can render a stereo mix without it clipping.

Yes, all of this is what we discuss at the Quad Board. I would love to know more about your set-up. I agree with you, IMO 5.1, Quadraphonic, Stereo and Mono are all each different animals from each other. I do not chop 5.1 into Quad, that would be a big no no with sound files. I take vintage Quadraphonic mixes from the 1970's and preserve those as what they are, Quadraphonic mixes 4.0 onto DVD-Audio and DTS-CD. I also do new 5.1 music mixes from newly recorded material which is of course completely differant and do use the center channel in this case.

See you at the Quad Board. Thanks.

Added info:

Info to post # 115.

As mentioned before, get a copy of Pink Floyd's 1970's Quadraphonic mix of "Dark Side Of The Moon" mixed by Alan Parsons for the ultimate 4 channel mix and what Quad still has to offer. Plenty of info coming from all 4 corners of the room as well as the center and sides.

very interesting in fact that quad site is pretty hardcore all right you got me on that one....the quad thing is cool still it was weird to damand a different format from Zeppelin but they did have it in quad once so where is that 4 part master now??????? do you need an old copy of the movie and then have an old school telecinie machine part out the mix to high rez converters to b mastered into 4 of the 5 channels? that is possible not likely ididn't quite get which film machinethey were using

to Ev,

don't sweat the shirt thing. so what you were saying about how they added the eefects was to the whole mix and not individual tracks????? so I still haven't really confirmed wheather this is a remix or a remaster. Partial remix??????? but anyway pic on string is how i like it bro!

It's true I watched the video yesterday with a friend, but today is the first day I've heard the soundtrack, and let me say:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS THING IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first got TSRTS I had so many problems with it. For one thing, it was incomplete. For another, it wasn't loud enough. Then another, it was all treble and no bass. The mix was stale... dead. It had no life. No punch. Nothing.

But now, we have this, and I couldn't be more excited. This recording, for one thing, is much louder. For another, the balance between treble and bass is perfect. So instead of just hearing the treble, you hear the entire spectrum, now. So fucking beautiful! And of course, this mix is far from stale. It's very much alive. It gives the show a serious punch. So amazing!

But of course, we have the edits. Now don't get me wrong. I get just as annoyed with Jimmy's purist attitude towards live releases as the next person. But the edits here don't bother me at all. Theere are only two things that bother me about this:

1. The Ocean has been misplaced. It was an encore. Not a cut after The Rain Song. Why oh why did they change that?

2. Where is Thank You. Anyone who has the boots knows that they played Thank You at these shows, and the rendition was always awesome. So why not include it?

I am willing to forgive those two issues, however. Thanks to Led Zeppelin for this. Thank you so much.

very interesting in fact that quad site is pretty hardcore all right you got me on that one....the quad thing is cool still it was weird to damand a different format from Zeppelin but they did have it in quad once so where is that 4 part master now??????? do you need an old copy of the movie and then have an old school telecinie machine part out the mix to high rez converters to b mastered into 4 of the 5 channels? that is possible not likely ididn't quite get which film machinethey were using

Yes, where is that 4 channel master now is all I'm asking. I'm going to enjoy the 2007 disc for what it is. But I do wonder what recordings we're used and where the tracks came from. That's fair to ask. Do any prints of the film exist or are they now lost like Pink Floyd's early one is. I wonder if this 2007 sound mix version is the Quad mix, but rechanneled into a sort of 5.1. It's certainly not the same thing as 1976. Close in many regards, but to my ears more of a Stereo mix down in front and not the open music all around you mix from 1976.

And then the edits and cuts, why? Oh well, life's too sort, time to move on...

ddot, clearly they've added effects to the mix that were not on the tapes. The slapback echoes on SIBLY were where I first noticed. There's repeats that couldn't possibly have been buried in the mix. They're global and not on any particular instrument. Plus, they're way too wet for the time. Nah, this was ProTools.

Nathan, dunno why they'd relocate The Ocean on the soundtrack as it's one disc. As for Thank You, it was only performed on the final night. Perhaps they didn't have enough to mix from, especially for video. And since the soundtrack is now true to the film, that would make sense. The other tracks had three nights of film to pick from, and even then it's clear they've borrowed from other songs on the video for the bonus tracks. Thank You would likely have been far too great a stretch of available footage. It irks me enough when I see cuts from Dazed and WLL that we know so well spliced into MMH, Black Dog, etc. Yes, Thank You would've been way too much a stretch.

The 2007 Version is No Match for the 1976 Version, there are too many skips and jumps in the new tracks particularly No Quarter, Jimmys Solo has been drastically dubbed short and Whole Lotta Love which have been over edited and missing at least 2 minutes per track. Keep hold of your Original CD It might have fewer tracks, but the quality is superior. Having seen Zep twice at knebworth UK in 1979, and once in manchester in 1975 These guys were,and still are the Creme De' La Creme.

On the effect on the vocals at the intro of -since i've been loving you, it may not have been on the recording, but maybe thats how it sounded in -madison square garden. I like those enhancements, gives it more of a live feel. The clarity of -jpj's black dog bass line with -jimmy soloing over it is amazing. One thing about the placement of -the ocean,black dog,misty mountain hop and over the hills is that it adds a balance to the original and ofcourse more of an actual show listen. I think there are a significant amount of listeners who had listener fatigue in regards to the original, with mostly the long songs.

This is a good release in combination with -mothership...alot of young kids are gonna hear led zeppelin for the first time with these two cds...alot of material to hear at first. I could see myself as a kid with a copy of -mothership and -tsrts and it being enough listening material for a few years.

>>Nah, this was ProTools.<<

Agreed. They went a little crazy with the extra effects. It's not a fatal flaw, but why mess with the original? Sounds a little gimmicky.

>>And since the soundtrack is now true to the film, that would make sense. <<

Disagree. Heartbreaker and Rain Song are complete on the CD yet are edited in the movie. If these appear in full version on the soundtrack, why don't NQ and WLL and BD? Makes no sense, especially since they cut huge chunks of essential stuff out of each song.

Archived