TSRTS Soundtrack!

bonzo1026

can we end the duckin ndless and stupid useless discusion??

We have the old an new editiopn, stick with the one you like most or enjoy both!!

Yeah, come on people. Why are you discussing Led Zeppelin in a Led Zeppelin forum? STOP IT ALREADY!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As No Quarter is my favorite song, I was quite pissed off to see it chopped like that, just to match the movie. Even the original TSRTS version is made up from the different nights, but it sounds complete at least. They should have simply taken the best performance from the three nights and used that. Probably the 29th was the best.

That, and they hacked Black Dog to match the movie too. Shit.

Other than that, it IS a great sounding live album. I may take the best from it, and edit in other versions of the above songs to make it complete for my listening pleasure..

As No Quarter is my favorite song, I was quite pissed off to see it chopped like that, just to match the movie. Even the original TSRTS version is made up from the different nights, but it sounds complete at least. They should have simply taken the best performance from the three nights and used that. Probably the 29th was the best.

That, and they hacked Black Dog to match the movie too. Shit.

Other than that, it IS a great sounding live album. I may take the best from it, and edit in other versions of the above songs to make it complete for my listening pleasure..

I will do that as well. The problem with Black Dog is that the original didn't have it, so I guess we are stuck with the edited version on that one. :blink:

I will do that as well. The problem with Black Dog is that the original didn't have it, so I guess we are stuck with the edited version on that one. :blink:

Nah...you can cheat and use Black Dog from HTWWW, if you don't have a good boot of the '73 tour. Of course you'll get "Out On The Tiles" instead of "Bring It On Home" as the intro, but so what? Close enough.

And for NQ, I wouldn't hesitate to use an EARLY 1975 version, where JPJ isn't using the grand piano yet. That would fit in nicely. The version from St. Louis would be great.

Nah...you can cheat and use Black Dog from HTWWW, if you don't have a good boot of the '73 tour. Of course you'll get "Out On The Tiles" instead of "Bring It On Home" as the intro, but so what? Close enough.

And for NQ, I wouldn't hesitate to use an EARLY 1975 version, where JPJ isn't using the grand piano yet. That would fit in nicely. The version from St. Louis would be great.

Let me know via PM if you end up doing it?

BTW, what was JPJ using instead of a grand piano? I thought it was an organ on TSRTS?

Let me know via PM if you end up doing it?

BTW, what was JPJ using instead of a grand piano? I thought it was an organ on TSRTS?

I'll do that. :)

And he was playing a Fender Rhodes electric piano for the entire song. In late February of 1975 he started using a grand piano for the center of the song. And don't even get me started on the 1977 version. *gets goosebumps just thinking about it*

:D

Jahfin....you're post above about the disappearance of true record stores is EXACTLY how my buying patterns were. Except, I didn't run screaming when cd's first started coming out. I saw it as a new thing, but didn't think it would 'take over'. Then I sold my entire vinyl collection to travel extensively (no place to store it) and upon return I started buying cd's, eventually replacing just about everything I had on vinyl and more....

I dug the cd choice. Then when vinyl started to really dwindle, I was sad, mainly because of nostalgia. So I'd embraced cd's and now those are going out...and I can't stand it. I will NOT settle for mp3's. The only way I'll acquire any download, if I'm forced, will be full WAV files. I need to physically shop for cd's too, it's almost as important to me as the music itself.

Long live Waterloo's in Austin, Grimey's in Nashville, and Amoeba in LA...

http://www.amoeba.com/who-we-are/index.html

I didn't run "screaming" when CDs were released on the market but I did hold off on buying them for as long as I could. We had several local record stores but the one I bought from most frequently was Camelot Music (a chain). When CDs were initially introduced on the market many of them were merely copies of the albums themselves literally. So, what we got was a vastly inferior product to vinyl but like I said, great strides have been made in this area in recent years to improve the sound. That's why the market is flooded with "new, improved" versions of records some of us have purchased several times by now. In some cases they are the result of actual remastering while others have only upped the volume to make it appear they have been "remastered".

I am fortunate that I live fairly close to some college towns where local music is still important and thusly, so are local record stores. Believe it or not, there are still artists that release their material on vinyl singles and full length records. As long as this is going on, record stores as we know them will continue to exist, at least in some capacity.

As for digital music, not all of it is of MP3 quality. The artists that truly care about their music make sure their music is made available in the best quality format available.

Bottom line is, for the average fan, or teenager, this is incredible!!!!

For someone older who is an obsessed fan like alot of us are, it's an embarressment...

SOUND was not an issue whatsoever with the 1976 release....If it was, then just release the same tracks in better sound quality...

I have to really agree with you Stu. I have started a separate post and here's my experience with this release.

After getting my copy of the CD for TSTRTS a couple weeks ago, I couldn't wait to tear off the plastic and play it in my high-end system at home. Unfortunetely, There were a few things that did not impress me. For instance, gone are few segments and original soundtrack performances that were featured in the original vinyl release.

Robert, doesn't introduce the track "TSRTS." Although, originally you couldn't really make-out the verbage. Also, I noticed different performances on "Celebration Day" and "Dazed".. Somehow I prefer the way the they were originally featured. Also, gone are the funk-inspired grooves before the spacey sound section of Whole Lotta Love. Looks like they just chopped that entire section out. Sad. Being that this sound is what made the 1973 performances special.

I had burned SIBLY onto a CDR and played it in my car for many years. I actually kept that intro from Robert Plant. "It's like that cosmic energy, everybody goes yeeeeeah, bash!"

Yes, fidelity-wise - the sound is amazing. A very big improvement. I would of been more happy if they would of just kept the CD soundtrack as the original vinyl release with just remastering the sound. Instead of adding and tinkering with the original performances. For those of us, that grew-up hearing this over the years - its a different experience. Different than those just being turned on to this group and music.

PS... What about including that stellar performance of "Thank You" as a bonus? gee!

Robert, doesn't introduce the track "TSRTS." Although, originally you couldn't really make-out the verbage.

Really? I always thought it was exceptionally easy to understand.

"In between last time we came and this time, we managed to get an album out called Houses of the Holy. Here's a thing with an apt for a thing that's called, The Song Remains the Same."

And this is just off the top of my head. And I agree, taking that out is a travesty.

As always when "new" versions are being released of any artistic endeavour, it is a good idea to keep the previous version as well...

It is really strange that they should want to shorten, edit out et splice so much from what was already a pretty good set of live performances. (and CDs being a different business from DVDs, why not allow fans to enjoy them as separate experiences, without the movie edits ?)

Anyway, I really did enjoy the new mix and production and especially enjoyed The Ocean, Misty Mountain Hop (wow, the magical blending of the keyboard and guitar !!!) and others and couldn't help wondering why these versions never officially surfaced on CD earlier !!!!!!!!

TSRTS CD fell into my cart a few days ago. :)

I can't stop listening to it.

I've had TSRTS on vinyl since the early 80's, one of my first vinyl purchases, but never listened to it much. I just don't enjoy listening to live recordings as a general rule.

I gotta say, it sounds pretty fantastic though.

I am not thrilled about the packaging. Very cheap. Shoddy workmanship. I ripped the discs to my puter so won't be removing the discs much, but I still think should be better.

I bought the physical discs for a reason. If I just wanted the music, I would have downloaded it.

The reason I bought it, (don't get it til christmas though) is for another live version of Over The Hills. How does it stack up? I love the solo on the HTWWW version but the beginning is a little harsh sounding compared to the studio which is perfect in my opinion. So basically I want the studio version with a wicked ass solo from hell. Does it deliver or disappoint?

The reason I bought it, (don't get it til christmas though) is for another live version of Over The Hills. How does it stack up? I love the solo on the HTWWW version but the beginning is a little harsh sounding compared to the studio which is perfect in my opinion. So basically I want the studio version with a wicked ass solo from hell. Does it deliver or disappoint?

It seems to be subdued in the beginning but the guitar solo rocks.

Personally, I would buy the first nine albums right now if they were available in SACD format.

Please Led Zeppelin let me hear you work at the best standard possible.

If you have to arrange a tie up with Sony or Phillips or whoever, please sort it.

I would happily pay £20 per album x 9 = £180

Instead of continually shuffling and repackaging the stuff I already have, give me all the albums up to In Through the Out Door in SACD format. Nice little project for JP next year.

Most of it has already been remastered - would it be that much more work to put it all on SACDs?

Personally, I would buy the first nine albums right now if they were available in SACD format.

If you have to arrange a tie up with Sony or Phillips or whoever, please sort it.

Instead of continually shuffling and repackaging the stuff I already have, give me all the albums up to In Through the Out Door in SACD format. Nice little project for JP next year.

Most of it has already been remastered - would it be that much more work to put it all on SACDs?

DVD-A would be more likely, as HTWWW is already available in that format. It also has a DD 5.1mix.

DVD-A would be more likely, as HTWWW is already available in that format. It also has a DD 5.1mix.

Yes, please give us Hi-Rez of all of the original Led Zeppelin albums mixes in either DVD-A or SACD! Some artists have done both. We already own the regular CDs. 5.1 mixes would be killer to be added as well and no doubt millions of these boxes would be sold! Heck, they could even give us that original Quadraphonic mix of TSRTS no problem.

Sorry if this has been asked before. What is the source of the song that plays while the "menu" is up in the DVD? I do not recognize it. It's got a really cool groove.

I can't comment on the controversy that's ensued, since I haven't spent much time with the discs so far.

Sorry if this has been asked before. What is the source of the song that plays while the "menu" is up in the DVD? I do not recognize it. It's got a really cool groove.

I can't comment on the controversy that's ensued, since I haven't spent much time with the discs so far.

It's the studio version of "The Song Remains The Same" on the top menu.

Yes, please give us Hi-Rez of all of the original Led Zeppelin albums mixes in either DVD-A or SACD! Some artists have done both. We already own the regular CDs. 5.1 mixes would be killer to be added as well and no doubt millions of these boxes would be sold! Heck, they could even give us that original Quadraphonic mix of TSRTS no problem.

I've been reading some of your posts on another thread with interest 'Old Quad Guy', esp. stuff relating to sound quality - very informative.

I don't possess a DVD-A player so naturally I would prefer SACD releases of all the original studio albums. Although I would buy a DVD-A player as well, if I had to, in order to hear Led Zep. at their best.

I have just read that the Warner Bros HD DVD has been pulled in favour of Blu Ray.

Blu Ray is the Sony preference - as is SACD to the best of my knowledge. So I'm thinking that maybe SACD will triumph over DVD-A in the high quality CD sound war.

Does anyone know if the band intend to release their albums in DVD-A or SACD or both? If not, does anyone know how this particular post could be brought to the band's attention?

I've been reading some of your posts on another thread with interest 'Old Quad Guy', esp. stuff relating to sound quality - very informative.

I don't possess a DVD-A player so naturally I would prefer SACD releases of all the original studio albums. Although I would buy a DVD-A player as well, if I had to, in order to hear Led Zep. at their best.

I have just read that the Warner Bros HD DVD has been pulled in favour of Blu Ray.

Blu Ray is the Sony preference - as is SACD to the best of my knowledge. So I'm thinking that maybe SACD will triumph over DVD-A in the high quality CD sound war.

Does anyone know if the band intend to release their albums in DVD-A or SACD or both? If not, does anyone know how this particular post could be brought to the band's attention?

Sony still makes SACDs and DVD-Audio discs are still made. Although some of the older titles are starting to get harder to find. The format war for DVD-A / SACD sort of ended in a stalemate as consumers (including myself) didn’t realize how much more you get with these discs (you really have to hear them to fully appreciate what you’re getting). Rolling Stone actually gave away a free SACD in the magazine about 5 years ago or so, but at the time players were relatively expensive for both formats and there we’re not that many combo players. Now a combo SACD / DVD-A player in great condition can be had for less than $100 off eBay or even cheaper at flea markets if you know what to look for.

If you are interested in buying a new DVD player I recommend the Oppo DV-980H for only $169 : http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/default.asp

It does not play Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs yet, but in addition to playing DVD-A / SACD it also up converts regular DVD quite nicely.

I would be happy if either a DVD-A along with a CD (like The Doors box set) or SACD was with a possible box set. I suggested DVD-A as one can get Hi-Rez Stereo LPCM and multi-channel sound in DTS or Dolby Digital with the DVD players that are already out there now because DVD-Audio can also contain a DVD-Video layer - which is what regular DVD’s are. Video clips can be put on DVD-A discs. SACD would work fine as one disc can play like a CD and yet have both the original Stereo mix and a multi-channel mix in high resolution sound. The Elton John SACD’s were done great this way. Led Zeppelin's Vinyl records should also remain in print.

When they master from the original tapes they still need to start at least at DVD-Audio 24 bit / 96 kHz level sample rates or at SACD bit rate 24 bit / 192 kHz even if they were only doing regular CD’s to get better sound. I’ve made my own DVD-Audio discs from records (you can too for not that much) and from those files made my CD’s. That works much better than recording only at CD levels - which is only 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. So it makes sense to give us Hi-Rez sound for all the detail you get with higher bit rates.

As far as the whole HD-DVD / Blu-Ray thing that’s a whole different animal, but both do offer what is known as “Lossless sound” at DVD-Audio levels 24 bit / 96 kHz, meaning no compression is used to get sound which old Dolby Digital and DTS contains. At this point I would be careful about the whole HD thing and wait for player prices to drop.

It should be noted that if you own Sony's PS3 game machine about 80% of them support SACD playback already. Some of the newer less expensive machines do not, but the new 80 Gig version supposedly does. Check your manual and the specs if you plan to buy one.

Archived