Dudley and Led Zep

NigeGSX1400UK

A bit of local trivia and a couple of Dudley's claims to fame relating to Led Zep.

The front and inner photographs for the 1971 Led Zeppelin IV album were taken in the Eve Hill area of town; the main tower block, shown side on, is Butterfield Court, off Salop Street, and still stands today. And its still as ugly as it was back then.

Jason Bonham lives there, at least according to Wikipedia.

I used to work for a family in the mid 80s from Dudley whose son and daughter were friends of Debbie and Jason Bonham. I remember them strolling in on a Monday, after days away at a party at Jimmy Page's home or some other notable musician. They would often tell me how they had been hanging out with various famous figures. Was I jealous? You bet I was.

I also worked with a guy who used to act as a roadie for Robert Plant and John Bonham in the 60s, pre Led Zep when they played local gigs. He always said you could see, even then, both would become stars.

Cheers

Nige

I had heard all of those were demolished a few years ago. Are you saying the main tower still stands but the others are gone?

Jason Bonham joined Robert Plant's Honeydrippers for a complete performance at JBs in Dudley on December 31st 1981. Jason's mother Pat Bonham attended. So far as I know,

Jason never lived in Dudley and he and his family reside in Boca Raton, Florida now.

'I had heard all of those were demolished a few years ago. Are you saying the main tower still stands but the others are gone?'

'Jason Bonham joined Robert Plant's Honeydrippers for a complete performance at JBs in Dudley on December 31st 1981. Jason's mother Pat Bonham attended. So far as I know,

Jason never lived in Dudley and he and his family reside in Boca Raton, Florida now.'

Yes Steve, 2 out of the 3 were demolished but 1 is still standing. Typical council, start a job but never finish it. :D

I was quoting from Wikipedia, and had doubts myself to be honest.

That would be the old JB's of course that used to be next to the then Austin Rover dealership in Dudley. JB's is now at the bottom of Castle Hill at the lights on the left. I saw Fred Zep there a couple of years ago and they were excellent. Then came out to find my car was minus 1 rear side window and 2 speakers (worth all of £10). But it was still a good night. :D

Cheers

Nige

I had heard all of those were demolished a few years ago. Are you saying the main tower still stands but the others are gone?

Jason Bonham joined Robert Plant's Honeydrippers for a complete performance at JBs in Dudley on December 31st 1981. Jason's mother Pat Bonham attended. So far as I know,

Jason never lived in Dudley and he and his family reside in Boca Raton, Florida now.

Jason was born in Dudley. The Bonham family lived there for 4 years, first at Pat's parents and then in their own apartment. They lived there until 1970 when they moved to a house in Hagley, a village near Birmingham.

I know Jason has a house in the area (Black Country) he uses as his residence when in England, but I am unsure if it is in Dudley. He does now indeed live in Boca Raton.

I thought you guys were talking about Dudley Moore. Har! Carry on.

In a way we were, because Dudley has more (stop groaning at the back). How does it have more? Well more people in the U.K. hate the accent/dialect than any other accent/dialect in the U.K. Just goes to show us Brits have no taste cause its a bostin accent :D

As for Dudley Moore not really my type of humour prefer Lenny Henry ;) another yam yam like me.

Have fun

Nige

Jason was born in Dudley. The Bonham family lived there for 4 years, first at Pat's parents and then in their own apartment. They lived there until 1970 when they moved to a house in Hagley, a village near Birmingham.

I know Jason has a house in the area (Black Country) he uses as his residence when in England, but I am unsure if it is in Dudley. He does now indeed live in Boca Raton.

Good catch! I haven't seen confirmation his July 15 1966 birth was in Dudley (I don't doubt it much) but they had lived for a time with family before moving into a high-rise flat in Dudley (Source: 'Traps' Autumn 2007 issue). They celebrated Christmas 1969 in their new home in West Hagley (Source: 'Whole Lotta Led - Our Flight With Led Zeppelin').

The best Bonzo story I've heard about West Hagley was the day a bemused neighbor stopped to watch Bonzo wash his Rolls Royce in the drive way. He made the mistake of telling Bonzo "Well, I've never seen a man wash his own Rolls before". Bonzo got angry, kicked the car and shouted "Bet you've never seen a man kick his own Rolls either!" Harsh words for the neighbor soon followed.

The last time I saw Jason in England was at the Old Hyde Farm (Bonzo & Pat's place), but his home was near Ombersley.

In a way we were, because Dudley has more (stop groaning at the back). How does it have more? Well more people in the U.K. hate the accent/dialect than any other accent/dialect in the U.K. Just goes to show us Brits have no taste cause its a bostin accent :D

As for Dudley Moore not really my type of humour prefer Lenny Henry ;) another yam yam like me.

Have fun

Nige

Hey Nige, the accent is just fine. Although Jason's is now more mid-Atlantic, I love to hear that Dudley/West Midlands twang in his voice. :)

Hey Nige, the accent is just fine. Although Jason's is now more mid-Atlantic, I love to hear that Dudley/West Midlands twang in his voice. :)
Especially when he is doing his Lenny Henry impression! :)

That would be the old JB's of course that used to be next to the then Austin Rover dealership in Dudley.

Rear of the Pathfinder!

Robert played there a few times over the years, the venue was owned by his brother-in-law and was a real hang-out for him and his mates. In the booklet which accompanies his recent box-set, the pic of Robert all in black wearing a gold Wolves scarf around his neck and looking down was taken during The Honeydrippers perfomance there in July 1981. It was a fantastic little club and I don't think the new one compares, really, I'll bet you agree.

Miss HoneyD I'd like to hear that!

Rear of the Pathfinder!

Robert played there a few times over the years, the venue was owned by his brother-in-law and was a real hang-out for him and his mates. In the booklet which accompanies his recent box-set, the pic of Robert all in black wearing a gold Wolves scarf around his neck and looking down was taken during The Honeydrippers perfomance there in July 1981. It was a fantastic little club and I don't think the new one compares, really, I'll bet you agree.

I loved it, and at one point worked at Evans Halshaw next door. But the new J.B.s is okay, apart from the fights that seem to go on a lot more than they used to. I notice you put your location as Albion would you be a fellow Baggies fan by any chance?

Also how do you rate Fred Zep personally last time I saw them admittedly a couple of years ago they were very good I thought.

Miss HoneyD I'd like to hear that!

If she sounds as lovely as she looks she would be and probably is incredible. :D

If she sounds as lovely as she looks she would be and probably is incredible. :D

DOH, sincere apologies to Miss HoneyD. I was being lazy and didnt check back to your posting re Jason and his impressions. Although in my defence I did mean it as a compliment to Miss HoneyD.

an embarrassed yam yam

Nige.

In the booklet which accompanies his recent box-set, the pic of Robert all in black wearing a gold Wolves scarf around his neck and looking down was taken during The Honeydrippers perfomance there in July 1981.

How certain are you about that date? Can you be more specific?

The reason I ask is because he actually cancelled at least two dates that month:

July 7th at R&Js in Retford and July 14th at Dingwalls in London. I've heard he may have had a gig lined up for Leeds University or the Warehouse in Leeds in June/July '81 which also never came about.

His explanation for the Dingwalls cancellation was he was concerned the London crowd and media would take The Honeydrippers far too seriously, but the same month, Robert and guitarist Robbie Blunt began putting demos together…several were ready to record by August '81…Jason Bonham and Pick Withers contributed during these early sessions.

He did play JBs with The Honeydrippers the following summer (August 22 1982) with support from The Tygers of Pang Tang and Melvin & The Marauders. Mick Bonham videotaped that particular gig.

As you know, those early Honeydripper activities remain somewhat obscure and difficult

to confirm. Thanks in advance for any further insight you can provide.

How certain are you about that date? Can you be more specific?

The reason I ask is because he actually cancelled at least two dates that month:

July 7th at R&Js in Retford and July 14th at Dingwalls in London. I've heard he may have had a gig lined up for Leeds University or the Warehouse in Leeds in June/July '81 which also never came about.

His explanation for the Dingwalls cancellation was he was concerned the London crowd and media would take The Honeydrippers far too seriously, but the same month, Robert and guitarist Robbie Blunt began putting demos together…several were ready to record by August '81…Jason Bonham and Pick Withers contributed during these early sessions.

He did play JBs with The Honeydrippers the following summer (August 22 1982) with support from The Tygers of Pang Tang and Melvin & The Marauders. Mick Bonham videotaped that particular gig.

As you know, those early Honeydripper activities remain somewhat obscure and difficult

to confirm. Thanks in advance for any further insight you can provide.

Absolutely certain Steve. My mate took the pic. I'll ask him if he can give me an exact date from his records, but I doubt he'll remmeber beyond "July". Worth asking though. He also has a great set of pics he took of Robert in gold Wolves shorts playing guitar at the soundcheck that afternoon, but they are private - one made it into circulation from an unreliable source but it would be great if anyone who has it would refrain from posting it - it was never meant to be released.

I just found my ticket from the gig in my Honeydrippers photo album and I have to apologise about the month- it was June 1981 - Monday 23rd. I'll see if I can scan the ticket in.

Absolutely brilliant! So far as I know this date does not yet appear in Dave Lewis' The

Concert File or in any other concert chronology so I do consider this to be quite a find.

Other dates in June '81 include The Golden Eagle in Birmingham (1st & 15th) and Brunel Rooms in Swindon (3rd). Romeo & Juliet's in Birmingham (7th) was cancelled.

Thank you so much, Knebby.

• 2 weeks later...
36 years on at JB's at the bottom of the hill another good Honeydrippers show took place. I got some fine pics at that one. B)

No being No 61 for tickets that time. :D

:beer: Those pics (on the Honeydrippers thread on the old site) were fantastic, as was the gig itself of course. Any chance we could retrieve that thread possibly, and put it on here ....?

:beer: Those pics (on the Honeydrippers thread on the old site) were fantastic, as was the gig itself of course. Any chance we could retrieve that thread possibly, and put it on here ....?

Some of my pics Zeppy from last years show.

2007_02150050.jpg

2007_02150047.jpg

2007_02150046.jpg

2007_02150065.jpg

Archived