Pink Floyd

Reggie29

There are parts of Meddle that make it my favorite album - One of these Days, Fearless, Pillow of Winds, Echoes. And than there are parts that make it impossible to play for other people - dogs whining and whales groaning for several minutes. But if it's just me, my headphones, and the time to kick back - it doesn't get any better!

I still say, the only TRUE Floyd is the PSYCHEDELIC Floyd.....the other stuff just FADES AWAY FAST!! :)

I would say I'm the only Floyd fan that I know of who doesn't care for "Piper" but then I'd be leaving out the dozens of avid Floyd fans I know. Early Floyd is good, but Gilmour added a new element that is far more superior, IMO, than anything Syd contributed.

I still say, the only TRUE Floyd is the PSYCHEDELIC Floyd.....the other stuff just FADES AWAY FAST!! :)

DSOTM will never fade away.

Relics and WYWH are my other favourites.

How good is Arnold Layne!?

Some things I read (how much is fact, I don't vouch) that might be related to "Arnold Layne":

All the original members grew up in the same neighborhood. Water's mom was reportedly quite attractive, and frequently had her underwear stolen from the washline, although the culprit was never caught. There is a line in the song - "moonshine, clothesline, he's got it", and it's about crossdressing. Syd Barrett did have an early interest in women, but later ignored the ones who threw themselves at him once he became famous. The nude woman on one of his albums was supposedly not a model for the shot, but a groupie who was hanging around his flat, trying to get his attention. Some say they caught him in womens clothes, if they dropped in on him without notice. Now who do you think the real Arnold Layne was?

Some things I read (how much is fact, I don't vouch) that might be related to "Arnold Layne":

All the original members grew up in the same neighborhood. Water's mom was reportedly quite attractive, and frequently had her underwear stolen from the washline, although the culprit was never caught. There is a line in the song - "moonshine, clothesline, he's got it", and it's about crossdressing. Syd Barrett did have an early interest in women, but later ignored the ones who threw themselves at him once he became famous. The nude woman on one of his albums was supposedly not a model for the shot, but a groupie who was hanging around his flat, trying to get his attention. Some say they caught him in womens clothes, if they dropped in on him without notice. Now who do you think the real Arnold Layne was?

I was talking about the song both lyrically and musically not whom it was about.

Don't know, don't care. LOL.

O.K., lets talk about the musical content of Relics. I wish that "Cirrus Minor" was 3 hours long. I also wish "The Nile Song" was 3 seconds long. "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" has the perfect amount of screaming in it. "Interstellar Overdrive" was a missed opportinity for something special. "See Emily Play" was like a really good tea party. "Bike" is a very good song to sing out loud, when you need to clear a path through crowded places. "Julia Dream" can remove all conscious thoughts. "Remember a Day" can restore the most hidden thoughts. "Paintbox" should never be played when your thirsty. I don't have a clue what "Arnold Layne" is about...

As far as "The Wall", I coudn't care less about what they were singing, I plainly don't like the music itself. Lyrics are always secondary at best for me, regardless of their pitiful story.

DSOTM was their peak to me. Afterwards, WYWH and Animals were good, but not as good as those previous to Dark Side. But from The Wall onward they didn't register on my radar screen.

I think the lyrics to somethin like Nobody Home are really amazing, and Waters has always been one of the best but I sorta feel the same way. But at times great lyrics really make a song.

I agree about DSOTM, simply b/c, I have listened to it a billion times and still hear it differently every time. Meddle, WYWH, and Animals don't lower the bar by much.

Obscured By Clouds even has a few tunes that really kick ass. "Wot'suh the Deal" is so cool and the steel guitar crescendo is so great and "The Gold, It's In The....." rocks harder than any Floyd song I know.

Fearless just popped up on shuffle. So f'in delicious

I Finally got UmmaGumma Yesterday, the original full double album. I've been wanting to get this one for ever. I've owned the single version on Cassette for over 15 years. But that's missing the bulk of the live material.

Nobody has mentioned the 'Wish You Were Here' album. Why is that? I love that album, I love the way it flows from one number to the next. And even though it's incredibly self indulgent, it doesn't waft, like for me the way 'The Wall' does.

Pink-Floyd---Wish-You-Were-Here-Poster-C10086114.jpeg

Archived