How was Pagey on the night?

Hi all, if this is a repeat of another thread i am sorry.

How well did pagey play, was he up to his mid 70's best? Or did he at least play as good as the 98 P&P tour? Were the solos kick ass?

Hi all, if this is a repeat of another thread i am sorry.

How well did pagey play, was he up to his mid 70's best? Or did he at least play as good as the 98 P&P tour? Were the solos kick ass?

It was simply stunning mate. There have been several threads on the topic, and there are plenty of clips on YouTube to back it up. PM if you need a few pointers.

I think it was on par with some of his P&P shows, but definitely not 69-73 Jimmy. Some solos were really good, some were average. His tone however, IMHO was absolutely killer. Song like In My Time of Dying, Dazed, For Your Life, just had so much force and energy behind it, it was great. Definitely go check out the dozens and dozens of videos on youtube.

I think it was on par with some of his P&P shows, but definitely not 69-73 Jimmy. Some solos were really good, some were average. His tone however, IMHO was absolutely killer. Song like In My Time of Dying, Dazed, For Your Life, just had so much force and energy behind it, it was great. Definitely go check out the dozens and dozens of videos on youtube.

I pretty much agree with what you just said.

I think I stated earlier he should give his guitar tech a raise. His tone was outstanding.

Yes I think by all reports - as well as what I have heard from the recordings which are floating around - Page was excellent.

As a guitarist, the variations he made to SIBLY, NQ and others have kept me busy for the last few months and have made their way into my approach to the songs.

Wicked. I am glad to hear he played really well. I have looked at a number of clips from youtube but for the most part the audio from the cameras is crap so its hard to get the full picture...

Well for a 63 year old i think jimmy is a legend and i cant wait to hear a new studio album from the wizard...

If anyone has links to GOOD youtube clips please post them here...

Thanks

I Have the whole show uncut on DVD, with a nice package. I got a hold of it through my connection. Page played decent, not awesome. If you think you are ever gonna se them like they were back in their prime, forget about it. Plant sounded good. Jonsey as always was great. Bohnam was awesome.

Having just viewed the 02 concert on disc, Jimmy was great,right on top of everything as always,Jonesy is a standout on keyboard's (Trampled underfoot was a killer) and Percy still has got the SCREAM that make's the girl's,well,scream.Jason pulled it off but not as good as I thought he would've,being a drummer myself (no,I ain't no big star and I don't have the ticket's to prove it) I could see his timing was out on some song's and he omitted some of the crucial part's of what makes up a Zep song.Anyways we could all disect someone's performance until it's us up there on-stage,end result.............................Crankin' Good Job Boys !! :DB)

I Have the whole show uncut on DVD, with a nice package. I got a hold of it through my connection. Page played decent, not awesome. If you think you are ever gonna se them like they were back in their prime, forget about it. Plant sounded good. Jonsey as always was great. Bohnam was awesome.

Uncut on DVD? Is this a pro shot video or just a fan bootleg??

Having just viewed the 02 concert on disc, Jimmy was great,right on top of everything as always,Jonesy is a standout on keyboard's (Trampled underfoot was a killer) and Percy still has got the SCREAM that make's the girl's,well,scream.Jason pulled it off but not as good as I thought he would've,being a drummer myself (no,I ain't no big star and I don't have the ticket's to prove it) I could see his timing was out on some song's and he omitted some of the crucial part's of what makes up a Zep song.Anyways we could all disect someone's performance until it's us up there on-stage,end result.............................Crankin' Good Job Boys !! :DB)

Even Jonesy acknowledged that Jason does different fills than his father did for certain parts of songs. But I'm overly happy with the young Bonham's performance. He certainly didn't stink and even if he had, its still the closest we'll ever get to a fully reformed Zeppelin.

Page is old and he knows it. The hand gestures, looks, rock god poses are there but mere old paintings hanging in a glorious gallery that does not need to go backwards to go forward.

Jimmy was spectacular. He might not be quite as fast as he used to be, or play as long, but he definitely wailed. In My Time of Dying was simply amazing. He played it so well as well as the rest of the band. i think it was their tightest song of the night. On the whole the dazed and stairway solos were shortened(greatly) compared to the old days, but still an honor to be able to hear it played live. In Dazed the bow was awesome. As eerie and dark as always and then bringing in the rest of the band at the end. How can it get any better?? Kashmir. Say no more.

It was amazing to just watch the band and reminisce about all of the great times listening to led zeppelin throughout the years. No doubt the greatest rock and roll band to ever play. I was lucky enough to be front row the entire show right in front of jimmy.

Got a bootleg version which is awesome but it needs to be released officially on HD. My guess is this and maybe Knebworth will come out this holiday season and a tour in the spring/summer of 09.

One can hope anyway!

I thought jimmy was awesome! have the full show boot, watched it many times, Page was as good as I have seen him since 1980. jason was great, yes he does different fills, no he doesnt have his dads foot, however it had the Zep feel and sound. No other drummer could come that close to the sound. I liked the fact that he brought some of his own stuff into it. Zep is all about improvisation! He was exact on TSRS, it was uncanny, all the fills, just killer! which is why Robert said after TSRTS :" Jason Bonham SPECTACULAR!" and he was!

I thought jimmy was awesome! have the full show boot, watched it many times, Page was as good as I have seen him since 1980. jason was great, yes he does different fills, no he doesnt have his dads foot, however it had the Zep feel and sound. No other drummer could come that close to the sound. I liked the fact that he brought some of his own stuff into it. Zep is all about improvisation! He was exact on TSRS, it was uncanny, all the fills, just killer! which is why Robert said after TSRTS :" Jason Bonham SPECTACULAR!" and he was!
He didn't have the foot on Kashmir where Robert was expecting a double, but executed GTBT quite nicely. It's those double cymbal hits where he strikes one beat before the expected hit that irk me. I suppose that's nitpicking to some. Leading up to the O2 gig I was hoping Michael Lee, Dave Ghrol or the Clive Deamer would get the gig. Bonham was much improved on what I saw in 88, and it must have been special to all involved to see him make so much of his second chance.

Pagey was great, but I am confident he can do better.

That's fair. It wasn't a classic 69-73 Jimmy performance, but he was still very good indeed.

I think we can put his few mistakes down to nerves on such a huge occasion.

As i have to say that his style has changed his approach is the same, Maybe not as quick , and maybe theres no 20 min solos. But hes always getting better as we all do when we play. I think hes saying the same stuff, Just usin different words.

When Page plays badly, he totally loses sync with the rhythm section and he starts muffling strings because he isn't completely fretting the notes. And during solos he would just get lost and you'd have these long pauses or phrases that seemed to just run into dead ends. The meandering solo in the last performance of Stairway in 1980 is the perfect example of all of this stuff.

The O2 performance had none of these problems, which is great. However, on the downside, the setlist was so short and the solos were so abbreviated that Jimmy really didn't have the canvas to make much of a musical statement. It was really the Haiku version of a Zep show.

I'll the the honest one here- from what I saw on YOU TUBE and BBC O2 film footage, Jimmy looked wiped out at the end of the concert, but from what I heard with the boots going around, Jimmy sounded much better than he did in the '90s. No comparison. 2 solid hours of electric without acoustic or drum solos- that's damn good for an old bloke his age! He could have easily gone an extra half hour if he and John Paul pulled out the jumbo and mandolin. :D

Page is old and he knows it. The hand gestures, looks, rock god poses are there but mere old paintings hanging in a glorious gallery that does not need to go backwards to go forward.

What the hell kind of babble is this?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a collection of videos that comprise the entire O2 show on Youtube from one user who has previously stated plainly that he does not want links to his videos posted on this site. However, for those of us who have not yet dl'd the DVD, this represents a static point of view and the sound is enjoyable. If you do not have the DVD and want to enjoy the show on youtube, pm me and I will send you the links, or search terms privately. The videos are not listed as Led Zeppelin.

PS: Is it just me, or does downloading from youtube yield higher quality imaging than watching it within the Flash player on the youtube site?

• 1 month later...

The only proof anyone needs that the band has still got it is the O2 versions of Stairway, SIBLY, and Kashmir. Jimmy played the solo exceptionally well on Stairway, better than any other versions except three: May 24, 1975; March 19, 1975; July 27, 1973.

Archived