Guitar Hero and Rock Band

guitarmy

As I mentioned before, I'm from the younger crowd, and I happen to be playing video games of all kinds.

Has anyone else here played guitar hero, or even know what I'm talking about?

For those who don't, guitar hero is a video game where music is played on the screen and the player has a guitar-like controller. Button sequences scroll down the screen (to represent notes) as the song progresses and the player strums the guitar and tries to hit the buttons at the right time.

It's kind of like guitar karaoke, or DDR if you know what that is.

I most recently purchased a new game called "Rock Band", which even comes with a microphone, drums, and a guitar.

If you have played it, then I'm sure you've been ultra pissed about the fact that one of the greatest rock bands of all time is not represented.

Has anyone from Led Zeppelin made any comments about this game? I would find it hard to believe that no one has sought out their permission, so they must have some sort of stance on it.

Still, I haven't seen any direct quotes referencing guitar hero.

Do you think the recent releases of Mothership and then releasing entire catalogue to the digital community is a sign that they might finally be included in video games?

Personally, I'm not interested in either game. I don't think playing a game can compare to actually rocking your ass off on a real instrument. So, I guess I don't really care that they aren't in the game, since I won't be getting any of them. :)

Have to agree there, I'm a guitarist and nothing compares to the feeling of completely rocking out playing a Led Zeppelin song on guitar after AGES of learning it, some crappy video game cant do that justice and Id be disappointed if the band allowed themselves to go on a kareoke guitar game.

Personally, I'm not interested in either game. I don't think playing a game can compare to actually rocking your ass off on a real instrument. So, I guess I don't really care that they aren't in the game, since I won't be getting any of them. :)

Yeah you're right, it doesn't.

Not to mention it's not very creative.

But it is a game after all.

Think about it. There is a whole sub-culture of people who are only going to know what rock music is through these games.

If Led Zeppelin isn't included, then how are they to ever come upon their glory?

Their music was life changing for me, and I tend to think that this game is a vehicle to even more audiences that deserve to have a go at Led Zeppelin.

Have to agree there, I'm a guitarist and nothing compares to the feeling of completely rocking out playing a Led Zeppelin song on guitar after AGES of learning it, some crappy video game cant do that justice and Id be disappointed if the band allowed themselves to go on a kareoke guitar game.

I recall Slash recently mentioning that he played the game, and when asked what song he would want to play, it would be "Whole Lotta Love". I'll try to find the source.

As I mentioned before, I'm from the younger crowd, and I happen to be playing video games of all kinds.

Has anyone else here played guitar hero, or even know what I'm talking about?

For those who don't, guitar hero is a video game where music is played on the screen and the player has a guitar-like controller. Button sequences scroll down the screen (to represent notes) as the song progresses and the player strums the guitar and tries to hit the buttons at the right time.

It's kind of like guitar karaoke, or DDR if you know what that is.

I most recently purchased a new game called "Rock Band", which even comes with a microphone, drums, and a guitar.

If you have played it, then I'm sure you've been ultra pissed about the fact that one of the greatest rock bands of all time is not represented.

Has anyone from Led Zeppelin made any comments about this game? I would find it hard to believe that no one has sought out their permission, so they must have some sort of stance on it.

Still, I haven't seen any direct quotes referencing guitar hero.

Do you think the recent releases of Mothership and then releasing entire catalogue to the digital community is a sign that they might finally be included in video games?

Wow, you shelled out $200+ bucks for that. I think you should have invested that money in a beginner guitar or something.

I've played these games and as cool and as fun they can be for like 2 hours, I'm glad Zep wouldn't license their music to them.

There is no need to insult people who like guitar hero. No reason to be bothered by what other peopel spend their money on. But hey, im from the younger crowd also, 19. I've played guitar hero 1 and 2 but after a week or so, even though i enjoyed it...realized it couldnt satisfy my musical taste like my les paul does. But you want to know why they are not on the game....?

Jimmy rarely allows LZ's music to be used for anything. GH is a video game where bands cover the songs and then you play them in the game, he will not allow a cover band to butcher his classics. I did read before Guitar Hero 3 came out that the creators were highly pursuing Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Metallica. I know led zeppelin has become very much in the limelight recently, but i dont see them going to that level, even though id like to see their songs in the game. Alot of young kids are learning about classic rock stuff through that game, it gets stuck in your head. But people of our generation should learn about good music by picking up a copy of Led Zeppelin IV.

Wow, you shelled out $200+ bucks for that. I think you should have invested that money in a beginner guitar or something.

Haha well you make a good point.

I suppose when I say "I just got it", I mean that my girlfriend has it and I get to play it with her.

And as far as a guitar, I've had my second one, a Les Paul, for almost a year now.

There is no need to insult people who like guitar hero. No reason to be bothered by what other peopel spend their money on. But hey, im from the younger crowd also, 19. I've played guitar hero 1 and 2 but after a week or so, even though i enjoyed it...realized it couldnt satisfy my musical taste like my les paul does. But you want to know why they are not on the game....?

I think the thing people have to realize is that it's not meant to satisfy any type of musical aspirations.

It's a game that is meant to entertain you. I personally play the game and also play my guitar and they both serve different purposes.

It isn't meant to substitute for actually playing a guitar. (I'm not saying you said that but I think some people have this misconception) If you saw the controller you'd realize how trivial it really is.

Jimmy rarely allows LZ's music to be used for anything. GH is a video game where bands cover the songs and then you play them in the game, he will not allow a cover band to butcher his classics.

Actually, not all of the songs are covered. The next time you play, take a look at the intro to a song, after you have selected the song and just before you start playing.

This is where you can find out if what's being played is the actual recording or if it's been covered.

If it says the title of the song and then "as made famous by Band Name Here", then it means that the guitar hero/rock band people covered the song to suit whatever need they had.

However, if it says the title of the song and then "by Band Name Here", then it means that the actual recording was used and that all the video game people did was put the fake notes up on the screen as the song plays.

One of the reasons they cover the songs is to make the guitar parts more prominent, which is why they call it "guitar" hero. They bring the guitar to the foreground because that's the part that you're "playing".

But for some of Zeppelin's material, the guitar part is right out there and in your face enough already, so I don't think the video game people have to do anything really to the actual audio.

Alot of young kids are learning about classic rock stuff through that game, it gets stuck in your head. But people of our generation should learn about good music by picking up a copy of Led Zeppelin IV.

Yeah I think this is one of my points, the fact that this game is kind of like an entry-way into Rock and Roll, for people who wouldn't know any better otherwise.

Yeah, of course they should pick up some Led Zeppelin material, but if it's not in guitar hero, it might not ever cross their mind to go looking for it.

I think that not only Jimmy, but the other members would have to sign off on this.

Perhaps is Jimmy wants to be on there, he and Paul R. can get The Firm on there.

"Radioactive" would would be a good one.. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I think that not only Jimmy, but the other members would have to sign off on this.

Perhaps is Jimmy wants to be on there, he and Paul R. can get The Firm on there.

"Radioactive" would would be a good one.. :rolleyes:

Yeah I think we have painted this image of Led Zeppelin with Jimmy Page holding all the cards.

It makes sense because he's probably the person most responsible for their legacy.

But the reality is that there are still 2 other members out there.

I actually don't really know how this type of thing works.

What happens when a band wants to cover Zeppelin material on an album?

Do they just do it or do they have to get permission?

I suppose the difference is that in this case it would be the actual song in the video game, and not another artist's version.

Yeah I think we have painted this image of Led Zeppelin with Jimmy Page holding all the cards.

It makes sense because he's probably the person most responsible for their legacy.

But the reality is that there are still 2 other members out there.

I actually don't really know how this type of thing works.

What happens when a band wants to cover Zeppelin material on an album?

Do they just do it or do they have to get permission?

I suppose the difference is that in this case it would be the actual song in the video game, and not another artist's version.

I read somewhere that all the members of LZ, including Bonham's family, have equal shares in LZ, and I know for a fact RP sings LZ songs at his concerts, and Jason Bonham proudly plays the Zep Set, BUT, It's a well known fact that LZ is Jimmy's ship. Page takes care of the business side of LZ .

The remaining members act individually, and don't need permission, but when it comes to LZ, I believe... and this is only my guess... is that there is an unwritten agreement between the 4, and JP's opinion carries a lot of weight. I think there is a lot of respect and thought that goes into anything related to the LZ music.

Pick up a real guitar and lean a couple Zep tunes. :)

Pick up a real guitar and lean a couple Zep tunes. :)

How are they going to learn the tunes if their only exposure to rock music is the video game, the one that doesn't include Led Zeppelin?

The game is basically painting a picture entitled "This is Rock, and this is Guitar" and it's like a huge chunk of the palette isn't being used.

I would boycott the game if it wasn't just fun.

I know my girlfriend is tired of me saying that "Guitar Hero is a cool game but I don't like a single song on it."

Rumour was that the game company were trying to get Led Zeppelin for Guitar Hero 3, but I knew that would never work. Since when do Led Zeppelin license themselves to anything, let alone a video game?

If Zeppelin had game created just for them. with lots of Zep songs.... that would outsell GH 1,2, & 3 !!! Wouldn't it ! What a sweet licensing deal that would be !!! :D

If you think about it, a lot of your are saying that Zeppelin should advertise through a video game, this is not what Led Zeppelin is about, they didn't do it back then and they certainly won't do it now. They never hired a publicist, so why would they now after so many years go and advertise on a video game, it seems to me like a lot of the youth do listen to Zeppelin, but we tend to focus more on the ones that don't.

If Zeppelin had game created just for them. with lots of Zep songs.... that would outsell GH 1,2, & 3 !!! Wouldn't it ! What a sweet licensing deal that would be !!! :D

Yeah I think if they did a Guitar Hero: "Led Zeppelin Edition", it would be completely out of this world.

But it seems to me that Page would have to watch over the release like a hawk. I just can't picture my own guitar hero looking over the shoulder of a bunch of programmers.

I'm sure there would be some realistic mechanism to handle the oversight, but I have to admit it sounds silly to me.

If you think about it, a lot of your are saying that Zeppelin should advertise through a video game, this is not what Led Zeppelin is about, they didn't do it back then and they certainly won't do it now. They never hired a publicist, so why would they now after so many years go and advertise on a video game, it seems to me like a lot of the youth do listen to Zeppelin, but we tend to focus more on the ones that don't.

Didn't they just release to itunes?

I guess that depends on what your definition of advertisement is.

I tend to think of video games as another medium, landscape, canvass, or frontier.

Led Zeppelin has in fact branched out many times before to draw other people in, just not always in the most ridiculous ways that other artists have .

One particular medium they have dabbled in is film.

Case in point is their "The Song Remains The Same" movie.

Were Led Zeppelin fans pissed because they were "advertising" their music on film? Perhaps some purists may have been upset. I don't know because I wasn't alive at the time and internet forums didn't exist either! Maybe someone knows of a backlash from it's release?

I'm sure that most Led Zeppelin fans thought it was great! (This really goes without saying but I said it to point out how sometimes we assume that a particular medium has always been the norm)

So really, they were taking a risk. It doesn't seem that way now because it truly paid off in more ways than just the money. The film wasn't just for the Zepheads who'd seen the concerts, but it was also a chance to reach out to people who'd never seen them (yes it's hard to believe but these people existed when the movie came out and they exist today).

So whether they do the film thing or the video game thing, I don't see too much of a difference

You could even argue that making a film is more of an advertisement.

Although it's really hard to say, because it is a little known fact that the video game industry outsells box office ticket sales every year. Of course you have to note that I said "ticket sales" and not "the movie industry". The movie industry is definitely bigger, but the first fact helps put video games into perspective. Most video game people leave that last part off.

But of course I left it on to try and further my argument that movies are just as much of an advertisement, if not more, than video games.

Didn't they just release to itunes?

Another example of Led Zeppelin branching out and changing with the times.

Hi folks. :wave:

My friens just brought over his xbox 360 and GH3, I got to say it's pretty awesome (fun), and it's not meant to be a "substitute" of any kind...It's just for fun like one of those racing games at arcades.

Here's what the controller looks like :

Les_Paul_-_Xbox_360-front-big-723981.jpg

As you can see, it's just a toy.

This is the kind of thing everyone gets down on KISS for. Honestly I don't think Zep needs to advertise or participate in toys and games to gain additional notoriety at this stage in their career.

I've played this game, my biz partner's kid received it for his Bday yesterday. IMO it was boring, it's just not much fun to watch dots on the screen coming at you and try to push the correct buttons. That's all it is. I'm not into gaming but as far as video games go this one seems pretty pointless.

Archived