Guitar Hero and Rock Band

guitarmy

hey danelectro, nice member number :D

This is the kind of thing everyone gets down on KISS for. Honestly I don't think Zep needs to advertise or participate in toys and games to gain additional notoriety at this stage in their career.

I wouldn't say that they'd need anything additional for themselves like notoriety. They've got plenty. I think it's about the music, as it has always been.

In this case, the music included in Guitar Hero/Rock Band is good, but there's something missing and it starts with a L and has a Z in it and no it's not "Limp Bizkit". *wink*

And while I'm sure Led Zeppelin isn't for everyone, they at least need to be in the among ranks as The Rolling Stones, The Who, Metallica, and whatever other "big" bands that do the Guitar Hero thing.

Maybe they're above the ranks of other bands and that's why they're not included. :D

I've played this game, my biz partner's kid received it for his Bday yesterday. IMO it was boring, it's just not much fun to watch dots on the screen coming at you and try to push the correct buttons. That's all it is. I'm not into gaming but as far as video games go this one seems pretty pointless.

Just like Led Zeppelin isn't for everyone, neither is the game! A lot of people like it and a lot of people think it's stupid.

Just because someone might think it's stupid doesn't mean that Led Zeppelin shouldn't be included. (I can tell that's not what you said but in case anyone does, I threw that in there).

The mere success of Guitar Hero is a testament to a lot of people thinking that it is great!

I have to admit that even though I like mostly Led Zeppelin, I've checked out a few other artists because of the game. If Led Zeppelin were included, then maybe other people would check them out as well.

Personally, I like the game because it's a challenge that incorporates visual and audio elements, much like other video games.

Do some of you really think that if they did Guitar Hero that this will damage them in anyway? Why/Why not?

As I mentioned before, I'm from the younger crowd, and I happen to be playing video games of all kinds.

Has anyone else here played guitar hero, or even know what I'm talking about?

For those who don't, guitar hero is a video game where music is played on the screen and the player has a guitar-like controller. Button sequences scroll down the screen (to represent notes) as the song progresses and the player strums the guitar and tries to hit the buttons at the right time.

It's kind of like guitar karaoke, or DDR if you know what that is.

I most recently purchased a new game called "Rock Band", which even comes with a microphone, drums, and a guitar.

If you have played it, then I'm sure you've been ultra pissed about the fact that one of the greatest rock bands of all time is not represented.

Has anyone from Led Zeppelin made any comments about this game? I would find it hard to believe that no one has sought out their permission, so they must have some sort of stance on it.

Still, I haven't seen any direct quotes referencing guitar hero.

Do you think the recent releases of Mothership and then releasing entire catalogue to the digital community is a sign that they might finally be included in video games?

Well if this game inspires someone to really buy a guitar it would be a cool game even without Zeppelin on it but would be better with them. They are being sued (guitar hero) for copyright infringement now by the Romantics for their one hit wonder. I actually bought the first one and play guitar and did not like this game and never picked it back up. I thought I was just wasting time when I should be playing a real guitar and at least trying to improve my 30+ years in the amatuer class,LOL ! I do not blame Page and Company for having not licensed their music for this. I am sure they would rather someone spend their money or parents on a real instrument. Just my two cents also, no offense. :D

Alright I have a few things to say about this

1- I like guitar hero havnt played rock band

2- Now Rock Band is kinda liek Guitar Hero...but on steroids

3-If LZ doesnt let them use the licenses for songs is GH why should they do it for rock band lemme tell you something when they decide to put their music on a game you will know trust me you will know

If you think about it, a lot of your are saying that Zeppelin should advertise through a video game, this is not what Led Zeppelin is about, they didn't do it back then and they certainly won't do it now. They never hired a publicist, so why would they now after so many years go and advertise on a video game, it seems to me like a lot of the youth do listen to Zeppelin, but we tend to focus more on the ones that don't.

Please dont try to tell me that a lot of the youth listen to LZ if they do then I AM a lot of the youth (and trust me im not) and if I go ahead and put on a Zeppelin Album blasting in the middle of my High School then I honestly doubt more than 1/4 of the people would know what it is let alone start jumping for joy screaming "Led Zepplein Led Zeppelin" However to the people that do start doing so I salute you you've decided to stand out from the crowd and not accept the bullshit that is really People talking fast to a beat or people moaning and complaining about their feelings or just rocking a tad too hard no they have chosen music over shit and they deserve a medal.

Tha was the most meaningful shit I ever posted.

Don't get me wrong if they actually did I might consider to buy the game, but I am just giving reasons as to why Jimmy doesn't want to do it, might be against the way he wants his music to be heard.

Didn't they just release to itunes?

Didn't they also release albums in store? It is the 21st century it is the new way to buy albums and songs.

Les_Paul_-_Xbox_360-front-big-723981.jpg

As you can see, it's just a toy.

That will be to closest us kids will get to ever have or play a Gibson Les Paul Custom. :lol:

I've read that the creators tried desperately to get not just Zeppelin on the game, but AC(LightningBolt)DC and Metallica as well. Only Metallica made the cut and they hope to get Zep on their game next time...

Joe Perry revealed that Activision are working very closely with Aerosmith for GH IV. :cheer:

Joe Perry revealed that Activision are working very closely with Aerosmith for GH IV. :cheer:

Yeah maybe they'll end up working their way up the rock ladder or something.

I know Perry and Page have met before.

Case in point, and don't forget to drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s70GGOZLAkE...feature=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sv3GrGYhkk

So yeah, depending on how Perry finds the process, perhaps Jimmy and him will talk about it.

Please dont try to tell me that a lot of the youth listen to LZ if they do then I AM a lot of the youth (and trust me im not) and if I go ahead and put on a Zeppelin Album blasting in the middle of my High School then I honestly doubt more than 1/4 of the people would know what it is let alone start jumping for joy screaming "Led Zepplein Led Zeppelin" However to the people that do start doing so I salute you you've decided to stand out from the crowd and not accept the bullshit that is really People talking fast to a beat or people moaning and complaining about their feelings or just rocking a tad too hard no they have chosen music over shit and they deserve a medal.

Tha was the most meaningful shit I ever posted.

Don't try to tell anyone else that a lot of the youth doesn't listen to LZ, because you are 14 and obviously have no idea what the world is like outside of your high school.

Zeppelin has been caught on a trend train that is spreading like a plague.

Don't try to tell anyone else that a lot of the youth doesn't listen to LZ, because you are 14 and obviously have no idea what the world is like outside of your high school.

I think his very point is that he does know what's going on inside his high school and he doesn't like it.

And neither did I 7 or so years back!

I think it's great that he has a clue at a time when the rest of his school doesn't.

High school kids don't know the outer world because that's how it works. Tell me how Led Zeppelin, or rock music is going to survive if our youth are listening to the crap he's talking about?

The point is that he doesn't know everything because he's still learning/growing up (at a faster rate than the rest of us maybe ;) ).

Eventually, we'd run out of fans if there are no more fans entering into the fray. Maybe not soon, but eventually.

Some people never thought they could picture a high school without rock music.

But I'm with the younger crowd who has seen it. For most of my life, I've wondered how to get it back.

This game is a gateway to rock music, and while there are plenty of artists to suit kids tastes, there's just nothing that compares to Led Zeppelin in my book.

Zeppelin has been caught on a trend train that is spreading like a plague.

You're very right about a heightened awareness of Led Zeppelin right now. It's pretty obvious why!

Basically, once a song is released, anyone can cover it. Normally whomever holds the rights to it gets a cut of the royalties.

It must be very different when it comes to video games because they seem to need permission.

Don't get me wrong if they actually did I might consider to buy the game, but I am just giving reasons as to why Jimmy doesn't want to do it, might be against the way he wants his music to be heard.

Yeah that's a good point.

How the song sounds on your tv may be much different than it would sound on your radio or iPod.

I'm sure he wouldn't let them do the usual covering that they do to emphasize the guitar parts.

But like I said before, since the guitar is so strong in Led Zeppelin, I don't think they'd have to change a thing.

maybe the older people dont like guitar hero cause there arthritis is acting up.CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, DONT STAY IN THE KITCHEN!

Yeah maybe...

But a lot of people here play a real guitar, so arthritis probably isn't the case. ;)

Let's see, a guitar hero controller has 5 buttons and an actual guitar has 6 strings and 22+ frets for each string, depending on the model.

No comparison there!

If you think about it, a lot of your are saying that Zeppelin should advertise through a video game, this is not what Led Zeppelin is about, they didn't do it back then and they certainly won't do it now. They never hired a publicist, so why would they now after so many years go and advertise on a video game, it seems to me like a lot of the youth do listen to Zeppelin, but we tend to focus more on the ones that don't.

I just read this article found by tyedye and I remembered your quote Soccerzubs!

This one is from Robert

We decided to hire our first publicity firm after we toured here in the summer of '72. That was the same summer that the Stones toured and we knew full well that we were doing more business than them. We were getting better gates in comparison to a lot of people who were constantly glorified in the press. So without getting too egocentric, we thought it was time that people heard something about us other than that we were eating women and throwing the bones out the window. That whole lunacy thing was all people knew about us and it was all word-of-mouth. All those times of lunacy were okay, but we aren't and never were monsters. Just good-time boys, loved by their fans and hated by their critics.

The full context can be found at:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/174...le_led_zeppelin

So yeah, they did it in the past and perhaps, if they consider a video game to be the same thing, they'll do it again.

• 2 months later...

It's a fun game. I even bought it for my brother.

And you gotta admit, I would prefer my child to play with Guitar Hero than some violent games where you got to kill a hundred soviets in 30 seconds...

What's ridiculous, on the other hand, is people thinking they can pley guitar like a pro because they've complete the bloody game... Now, that's stupid!

• 1 month later...

I just thought I should throw this in here. I am 16 and play Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I personally love LZ, and so do a majority of the people I know. Now, that does not mean they all understand Zeppelin, but at least they're listening (please don't kill me for that comment). Anyways, on the topic of LZ liscensing their music for RB or GH, it's very very unlikely. As alot of other people said, they don't liscense their music for most things, so why do it now and on a game of all things? Well, you reach the newer generation, who go with whatever is popular; make lots of fans of LZ happy (well maybe not lots but still some is better then none); help bring back the classics for younger people. But, the main reason Harmonix, MTV Games, Activision, EA, RedOctane, Neversoft, and Microsoft want these liscenses, is, of course, money. That's not what LZ is about, and it never will be. However, I am hoping that LZ will realize what joy they'll bring to the younger generation fans, who never got to enjoy a concert, and probably never will (unless they make us the happiest people in the world and do the rumored World Tour). Anyways, I think the only thing I could possibly want in Rock Band is Led Zeppelin tracks. They just released a new Music Store to download music from, and it has a part called Albums, that you get to download entire albums from. The Albums section would be the perfect place for LZ to do something, put Mothership there and watch as LZ's Forums get twice the size, lol. Well, that's just about all I needed to throw in there. Thanks for reading.

P.S. I thought I would mention one of the funniest parts of GH/RB. In Guitar Hero 2, they have loading screens for the songs with random jokes or tidbits of information, and one of them had "Remember, NO STAIRWAY!" When I saw that, I laughed my ass off, and then died a little inside, after I realized I wouldn't get any Zeppelin.

My Kids like GH and that's fine. What is not fine is the fact that i've heard Slow Ride and Free Bird more in the last year than i did in the 70's and 80's combined. And Vaseline, they're obsessed with that song.

Basically, once a song is released, anyone can cover it. Normally whomever holds the rights to it gets a cut of the royalties.

It must be very different when it comes to video games because they seem to need permission.

What Steve is referring to is a mechanical license. This is the license you would obtain for Tape/Vinyl/CD/Etc. and audio-only download products. Anyone can obtain one once a song has been commercially distributed and is often referred to as a compulsory mechanical license.

The type of license required to use a song in Guitar Hero is what is called a synchronization license. It's called this because you are 'synchronizing' music to images. There is no compulsory license for synch uses. All synchronization rights remain the sole rights of the copyright owners (in this case, the band and their heirs).

It's also worth mentioning that the money for these games is not very good at all. Zeppelin can command about any price they ask for synch uses such as movies and commercials because they are so rare. They would be getting massive amounts of money for that kind of stuff. I'm talking upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars. For a game like guitar hero you're looking at something like $20K. Not worth it for such a cheap gimmick. And I'm sure none of them would be too happy about re-records...

I have two very small points to add to this topic which is a way to play devils advocate. I have never played this game and don't really know the pros or cons of it. That said i do know that Gibson is in a legal battle over it because they claim that they created a insturment very similiar to the GH one to help people learn the basic cords of guitar playing. Put your fingers here, sturm there, you get the picture. So maybe this could evolve into a useful tool. Also i hear alot of people talking about Zep having to much respect for there music to release it to a game like this. I agree to a point with this comment, but they did not have a hard time going commerical with it when it came to adding Rock n Roll to a Cadillac commerical or having a roller coaster named and themed to there music. So why not release it to a game that in some primative way promotes playing music. Just thought i would add this to stir the pot.

Regards

Cav

Zeppelin doesn't need a game to carry on their longevity. Most of my guitar students are between 11-17 and all of them know full well the impact of Led Zeppelin.

Even the kids who are not necessarily fans of the band, know who Led Zeppelin are.

Archived