Guitar Hero and Rock Band

guitarmy

Sure, this band doesn't need exposure to the Older Gen, but when I say to my HS friends that my favorite band is Led Zeppelin, one in seven doesn't know about them, (asks; "Are they new?"), one in fifteen knows that Page is the Guitarist, and two in twenty-five agrees that they are awesome. I think Stairway to Heaven or some other classic LedZep song in Guitar hero four would really open kids my age up to The awesomeness that is Led Zeppelin.

I don't really know if Led Zeppelin needs Guitar Hero/Rock Band (I'm only 15 so I was introduced to LZ by the normal way. Slowly adapting in to the music and finding your favourites). In my school there are about 400-500 pupils and I would quess that about 10 of them would be LZ fans (possibly even less ) and probably about 50-100 have heard of the band and possibly heard and listen to Stairway once in a while.

Sure, this band doesn't need exposure to the Older Gen, but when I say to my HS friends that my favorite band is Led Zeppelin, one in seven doesn't know about them, (asks; "Are they new?"), one in fifteen knows that Page is the Guitarist, and two in twenty-five agrees that they are awesome. I think Stairway to Heaven or some other classic LedZep song in Guitar hero four would really open kids my age up to The awesomeness that is Led Zeppelin.

Thank you.

I don't really know if Led Zeppelin needs Guitar Hero/Rock Band (I'm only 15 so I was introduced to LZ by the normal way. Slowly adapting in to the music and finding your favourites). In my school there are about 400-500 pupils and I would quess that about 10 of them would be LZ fans (possibly even less ) and probably about 50-100 have heard of the band and possibly heard and listen to Stairway once in a while.

I just want to reiterate what these two guys are saying. It's not about the older generation, it's about the ones to come.

It's not about what Led Zeppelin needs, it's about what we (as in our youth) need.

It's unfortunate that this is the way that the world works, with promotion through video games and the internet and the like. These are the new ways of the world.

Without expanding to new mediums, Led Zeppelin will eventually die off with the old ways of the world.

Just look at how anyone can buy music now. A lot of people just download it off of iTunes or some other music download site. This is legit now, but it takes away the entire "browsing" experience. Sure, you can search for artists by name or browse by category, but if you don't know Led Zeppelin then there's no reason for that name to jump out at you.

Led Zeppelin in Guitar Hero would be an act of preservation, not an act of commercialization as so many people seem to think it would be a sell-out.

It would be another way to pass it down to younger generations. The more ways, the better.

I just want to reiterate what these two guys are saying. It's not about the older generation, it's about the ones to come.

It's not about what Led Zeppelin needs, it's about what we (as in our youth) need.

It's unfortunate that this is the way that the world works, with promotion through video games and the internet and the like. These are the new ways of the world.

Without expanding to new mediums, Led Zeppelin will eventually die off with the old ways of the world.

Just look at how anyone can buy music now. A lot of people just download it off of iTunes or some other music download site. This is legit now, but it takes away the entire "browsing" experience. Sure, you can search for artists by name or browse by category, but if you don't know Led Zeppelin then there's no reason for that name to jump out at you.

Led Zeppelin in Guitar Hero would be an act of preservation, not an act of commercialization as so many people seem to think it would be a sell-out.

It would be another way to pass it down to younger generations. The more ways, the better.

Very well said. I know of people who only know a few Zep songs, most famously STH. So why would Guitar Hero be any different. It's called exposure...... and Jimmy knows what he is doing. So if he wants to or doesn't want to allow GH to have some Zep songs, who are we to question it. I personally feel it should. Die hard fans would love and so would a whole new generation... remember.... exposure. CD sales don't cut it anymore in this digital age. I for one would rather have a fan know Led Zep from GH than to not have them know Led Zep at all.

Great angle on the whole idea. Even though you said it's not about the older generation :o .....I'm 49 and have played GH and RB with my son and his friends for quite a while now, who are in their late teens to mid 20's. I've found tons of music from bands I had never heard about because I played their music on the games and then looked into other music they have made. Found lots of great music and got turned on to many excellent bands I never would have heard about were it not for playing these games. The young'uns I play with have done exactly the same.

So, your theory on the youth benefitting from these games by discovering new music stands up in this house. But, your theory about it not being about the older generation doesn't stand up so well! :rolleyes:

Doesn't look like there's going to be a lot of people in your corner on this, but keep your chin up, kiddo.

Love ya!

Very well said. I know of people who only know a few Zep songs, most famously STH. So why would Guitar Hero be any different. It's called exposure...... and Jimmy knows what he is doing. So if he wants to or doesn't want to allow GH to have some Zep songs, who are we to question it. I personally feel it should. Die hard fans would love and so would a whole new generation... remember.... exposure. CD sales don't cut it anymore in this digital age. I for one would rather have a fan know Led Zep from GH than to not have them know Led Zep at all.

YES!

Good word: Exposure.

Great angle on the whole idea. Even though you said it's not about the older generation :o .....I'm 49 and have played GH and RB with my son and his friends for quite a while now, who are in their late teens to mid 20's. I've found tons of music from bands I had never heard about because I played their music on the games and then looked into other music they have made. Found lots of great music and got turned on to many excellent bands I never would have heard about were it not for playing these games. The young'uns I play with have done exactly the same.

So, your theory on the youth benefitting from these games by discovering new music stands up in this house. But, your theory about it not being about the older generation doesn't stand up so well! :rolleyes:

Doesn't look like there's going to be a lot of people in your corner on this, but keep your chin up, kiddo.

Love ya!

Well you're right! Thanks for the insight. I never thought about Guitar Hero or Rock Band exposing music to a generation which came before the music was released. But now it makes total sense.

There is a certain stereotype when it comes to gaming, that games are mostly played by young people. I think I was just got caught using that stereotype, because there are more people playing video games who are over 21 than people under.

I suppose I kind of assumed that the "older generation" would enjoy Led Zeppelin in the games by default because they would have already been exposed (thank you timothy5151 for such a great word) in some way.

I think what I mean is that the younger folks will benefit more because some haven't had their taste of Zeppelin yet. I'm pretty sure that anyone who likes Led Zeppelin and Guitar Hero (young or old) will get a kick out of it.

Rock on my friend.

I've thinked a long time of a Guitar Hero; Led Zeppelin. It would be be very fun actually. Play some songs with them, see the whole group in 3D-graphic. Immigrant Song, Trampled Under Foot, Black Dog, Rock and roll, Kashmir would be very fun to play, really!

I hope it comes some time :)

This was posted in another forum (closed) and I thought I would answer it here:

I am new to this forum thing so I dont know if its been discussed already, but why doesnt led zeppelin allow harmonix, the creator of rockband and guitar hero to use their songs. Now I am 15 but am a huge led zeppelin fan and I am disappointed that my favorite band chooses not to participate. Does anyone know why?

I think the closest thing to a reason is that Harmonix requires Led Zeppelin's master tapes and the band is reluctant to loan them out.

With the track record Led Zeppelin has in the past regarding stolen material, I don't blame them.

But as for a direct quote from John Paul, Robert, or Jimmy, I don't think either of them has come out to snub guitar hero or rock band.

Because of this, it sounds like something they might consider if we could get around the master tape problem.

This was posted in another forum (closed) and I thought I would answer it here:

I think the closest thing to a reason is that Harmonix requires Led Zeppelin's master tapes and the band is reluctant to loan them out.

With the track record Led Zeppelin has in the past regarding stolen material, I don't blame them.

But as for a direct quote from John Paul, Robert, or Jimmy, I don't think either of them has come out to snub guitar hero or rock band.

Because of this, it sounds like something they might consider if we could get around the master tape problem.

No member of the band has said anything about these games, officially. All we have is a little comment from one of Jimmy's managers.

No member of the band has said anything about these games, officially. All we have is a little comment from one of Jimmy's managers.

I remember playing Zep songs and pretending with a tennis racquet that I was in front of my elementary school and the 6th grade girls screaming for me, that was my guitar hero. I am 43 now and Zep songs keep working for me. I do music for a living and I think that pretending is the start of it all

really? you have a source on that?

I probably wouldn't buy that. I don't think the Beatles have enough guitar driven songs.

I guess since Guitar Hero is moving towards having drums and vocals now, it would make sense. I just wouldn't have much interest in it.

really? you have a source on that?

I probably wouldn't buy that. I don't think the Beatles have enough guitar driven songs.

I guess since Guitar Hero is moving towards having drums and vocals now, it would make sense. I just wouldn't have much interest in it.

It was in the "rumor mill" section of Electronic Gamer Monthly, which has been right on its rumors 90% of the time. They also said that we won't be seeing any of their songs in the game till 2010.

I don't know about this "preservation" stuff...

I'm just 23, and there were no video games around like this when I was a kid.

I stumbled upon the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions release back in 1997 when I was just 12 years old. It only took a few notes from the opening track before I was hooked for life, having never been exposed to Led Zeppelin before that.

As long as you have older siblings or have friends with older siblings or cool enough parents there should be no trouble getting kids turned on to Led Zeppelin.

If the kid has any musical taste at all, Zeppelin will come to them naturally.., not via a cheap plastic guitar with 5 color-coded buttons.

I stumbled upon the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions release back in 1997 when I was just 12 years old. It only took a few notes from the opening track before I was hooked for life, having never been exposed to Led Zeppelin before that.

As long as you have older siblings or have friends with older siblings or cool enough parents there should be no trouble getting kids turned on to Led Zeppelin.

If the kid has any musical taste at all, Zeppelin will come to them naturally.., not via a cheap plastic guitar with 5 color-coded buttons.

Guitar Hero got me off pop music and in to classic rock. Musical taste doesn't come naturally. You have to get involved with it somehow, be it listening to the songs often, playing them, going to concerts etc.

I do know this. led Zeppelin will not take part in letting Harmonix/EA or Activison use the master tracks. They don't want anything bad happening to them. It has nothing to do with money. See I love Led Zeppelin to death and understand their view on this. But I started to think about it and if they are afraid of something happening to their master tracks, why not sign a contract with them allowing to use the track just for their game and if Activison and/or Harmonix/EA let something happen to these tracks then Led Zeppelin has the right to sue them for breach of contract.

Or it might not come to them at all because they're listening to __(enter most hated pop-star here)___ instead.

I'm 25 and while there were no video games like this back then, there was certainly no internet or iPod. Ok so maybe there was something called AO(HEL)L, but certainly nothing like what computers represent today.

Today we have full blown media overload. It's all about the different mediums competing for interests, and Led Zeppelin is absent from the video game medium.

You also have to account for the fact that video games are more mainstream now, which means the founding dorks who started playing video games are not the only audience that video game developers are catering to. It's still a big part of the audience, but the demographic for video game players has drastically expanded.

While audiences continue to expand, it basically highlights the opportunity that Led Zeppelin has to get their groove out there. It's not a monetary opportunity either. We all know they don't need the money (or do we just assume they don't?). What's more important to me is that I can connect with someone younger than me in something that I think should be relatively timeless.

Take a look around at the rock scene and just try to tell me that rock isn't disappearing. Radio stations are changing their formats left and right. I remember when there were Oldies stations on public radio. Guess what? They don't play that any more. Maybe on Sirius or XM, but not public radio. You have to pay for it. Older people are more likely to have money (and like Oldies) and so that's why Oldies are offered on those providers.

Even before they took away the Oldies stations, you could tell that things were changing because one year they played "50s-60s", then "50s-70s", then "60s-70s", and then "60s-80s". I don't have a "Classic Rock" station anymore, I have a "World Class Rock". This basically is a format to play rock from all different time periods and flavors. It's OK, but it's not "classic".

First went the Oldies stations, and now the Classic Rock stations are biting the dust. You can still find Led Zeppelin on the radio sometimes on the "World Class Rock" stations, it's just not as prominent.

Music itself isn't accepted on a morning radio show anymore. Instead, we have to listen to corny DJs and how much their life sucks or how they're making their intern do some stupid shit. If they do play music, then it ends up being 15 minutes out of an hour.

So if this trend continues, then say goodbye to anyone much younger than you knowing what Rock & Roll is, much less knowing what Led Zeppelin is.

Young people are more readily to accept crap, because they don't know any better. To them __(enter most hated pop-star here)___ is gold because it's all they know.

If you want to spread the knowledge, then you have to seek new ways to input that knowledge into consciousness. Especially if the old ways are dying out, as new mediums emerge by overshadowing the old ones.

I do know this. led Zeppelin will not take part in letting Harmonix/EA or Activison use the master tracks. They don't want anything bad happening to them. It has nothing to do with money. See I love Led Zeppelin to death and understand their view on this. But I started to think about it and if they are afraid of something happening to their master tracks, why not sign a contract with them allowing to use the track just for their game and if Activison and/or Harmonix/EA let something happen to these tracks then Led Zeppelin has the right to sue them for breach of contract.

Yeah I'm not sure if they're concerned about the rights or the general upkeep and stewardship of the master tapes. Either way, yeah I hope some sort of legal contract could be reached so that both sides were comfortable.

Fuck this bullshit. if jimmy ever caves to this gay shit i will denounce Zep. DONE

Let me first apologize to you to making you think that Jimmy is the only one in charge (I should have named this thread something else). There still are 2 other band members.

Either way, you seem to have a short fuse when it comes to this. The surviving members of Led Zeppelin would have to do a lot more than adding their musical content to a game for me to jump ship.

I'm trying to think of what they'd have to do. Um, yeah maybe murder? Actually, I don't think there is anything they could do now to make me denounce them, because they already accomplished their work with Led Zeppelin. What they did was amazing and is set apart from anything that happens now, even if there was a full "Led Zeppelin" tour coming up.

I dont see why they dont let rock band use their music. Ever since i bought the game thats all i really wanted to see as well as who and more zz top. For one thing how can they be scared of stolen master tracks when 100s of bands have done it and and there was i think only one law suit lol! Another probleme i read was they dont want a cover well thats what a master tracks for or even led zep themselves can play it again for them. Lastly anyone who diss's RB/ GH have you ever air guitared a song in your life!!! Its basicly a advanced form of air guitar. You dont have to be good at it you just have to have fun and listen to the music. If you still dislike it, it is not becuase you think its against music its proboly becuase you suck at it. GH brought me to learning guitar in the first place becuase playing the same song over and over does get boring once you can master expert. After expert you move on to real guitar and play the songs that way.

I know led zep well never see this but i wish they would, pls pls pls come to reason and let Rock Band at least use your songs. I cant quit you baby i could play on the drums for hours without stopping, the ocean i could play so loud that my parents well yell at me all week. Isnt that what rock music is about not the money the contracts its playing your heart out and some people can only do that through a plastic guitar with 5 buttons. I know its sad but its true.

and whats the worst that could happen you get more fans more money through contracts almost noones buys cds anymore when you can get them for free, make your own playlist and put 1000's of songs on one device.

PS: rock is also about the money and girls but mostly its playing your heart out

PSS: everybody loves money and women

I'm not buying the fact that this is the only way people are going to discover Led Zeppelin.

Perfect example - I affect hundreds of people per day by making it a point to have the windows down at stoplights and drown out everyone within 500 feet of my car with Led Zeppelin on max. volume. lol

Have people forgot about record stores? You can still go there and listen to music thru headphones before you buy... If not that - doesn't anyone have older siblings or parents?

Its not even that.., I had some pretty shitty favourite bands when I was a kid... eventually (with little to no outside influence) I was able to see thru bullshit music and come upon the good stuff.

Its like I always say... people these days need to learn how to think and feel for themselves... not think and feel only whats shot at you through the media. Put down the god-damn games for a second and go live life.

The Beatles are getting their own Guitar Hero game in 2010. Nothing is sacred!

Nothing is sacred? Do you know how many people would start to listen to good music again because of that?

Sheesh, Guitar Hero is single-handedly (and Rock band I guess) bringing my generation back into the music of the 70s and 80s

Archived