Guitar Hero and Rock Band

guitarmy

Nothing is sacred? Do you know how many people would start to listen to good music again because of that?

Sheesh, Guitar Hero is single-handedly (and Rock band I guess) bringing my generation back into the music of the 70s and 80s

Stop with this single handedly shit. I'll agree it may play somewhat of a role, but christ, you guys are acting like its the end of the world or something.

Do you own a radio? Do you know where a record shop is? You're all set.

Put down the cheap plastic guitar. I don't know, go outside and smell the trees in the nature or something... just wake up already you zombies.

I'm not buying the fact that this is the only way people are going to discover Led Zeppelin.

Perfect example - I affect hundreds of people per day by making it a point to have the windows down at stoplights and drown out everyone within 500 feet of my car with Led Zeppelin on max. volume. lol

Have people forgot about record stores? You can still go there and listen to music thru headphones before you buy... If not that - doesn't anyone have older siblings or parents?

Its not even that.., I had some pretty shitty favourite bands when I was a kid... eventually (with little to no outside influence) I was able to see thru bullshit music and come upon the good stuff.

Its like I always say... people these days need to learn how to think and feel for themselves... not think and feel only whats shot at you through the media. Put down the god-damn games for a second and go live life.

Stop with this single handedly shit. I'll agree it may play somewhat of a role, but christ, you guys are acting like its the end of the world or something.

Put down the cheap plastic guitar. I don't know, go outside and smell the trees in the nature or something... just wake up already you zombies.

*puts down game controller to type*

Well you're right, it's not the only source youth have. But think of it this way. The first time I heard of Led Zeppelin or even Stairway to Heaven, I was not impressed nor did I care. A lot of the time, it takes several mentions for something to enter your head and then you finally go, "HEY I LIKE THAT!"

That's the beauty of adding Led Zeppelin to Guitar Hero / Rock Band, as Led Zeppelin gets one more mention. Who are we to say if one more reference puts the nail in the Led Zeppelin coffin? I certainly don't think it would hurt...unless you were the coffin.

Speaking of how you first got into Led Zeppelin, I recall this thread to host such stories:

First Led Zeppelin Stories

It's always cool to hear how someone's world collided with Led Zeppelin, so please do tell. My world collided with Led Zeppelin when these things called "Classic Rock radio stations" existed.

You can blast your radio all you want, but unless you're shouting "THIS IS LED ZEPPELIN!" as you go down the road, then they probably won't know what they hell you're listening to. The video game displays that information.

To me, Rock Band feels like Rolling Stone Magazine in the 70s. Granted, Rock Band really wants to cover Zeppelin and Rolling Stone shunned them, but it just feels like a Rock & Roll party without the main attraction. It's like the rock newbies are misinformed all over again.

id be pretty upset hearing zeppelin on crap games like that.. putting such legendary music on the level of aerosmith and that other crap, blehhh! :P

maybe on the game guitar rising that should be coming out by the end of the year, because that uses a real guitar...

but zeppelin isnt a gimmick

id be pretty upset hearing zeppelin on crap games like that.. putting such legendary music on the level of aerosmith and that other crap, blehhh! :P

maybe on the game guitar rising that should be coming out by the end of the year, because that uses a real guitar...

but zeppelin isnt a gimmick

Aerosmith are not a crap band. Rock Band is not a crap game.

Iam glad Zeppelin is one of the few that are not on GH . This game has become nothing more than a trend ! Most of the target audience of this game are young teenagers . And i think it's unfortunate the only way they get their music is from some game ! Maybe if they would read a rock magazine they would have heard of Led Zeppelin . Or better yet listen to a rock station

How many kids knew what YYZ was before Guitar Hero? Those franchises made old music popular again.

Zombies? I'm out almost all the time. And unlike a lot of Guiar Hero players, I play real guitar too. GH was just something I did for fun, and I just happen to be really good at it.

And what's the deal with the record shop? What does that have to do with anything?

Iam glad Zeppelin is one of the few that are not on GH . This game has become nothing more than a trend ! Most of the target audience of this game are young teenagers . And i think it's unfortunate the only way they get their music is from some game ! Maybe if they would read a rock magazine they would have heard of Led Zeppelin . Or better yet listen to a rock station

What 15 year old, who is in high school and trying to fit in with everybody, is just going to turn on a rock station or "read a rock magazine" when few, if any, of their friends do?

I can just as easily say, "It's sad that older folks don't ever take the time to listen to more modern music. Honestly, have they even considered picking up an old school hip-hop magazine?"

Would you change the radio to a rap station just to see if you like it? No, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't

So you are saying that all music should be based on GH ? And if a band is not on this game no teenager will ever know of them ? I got into Zeppelin before this game was around . And i didnt grow up in the 70's . I grew up as a teenager in early 90's when alternative and Nirvana was all that was hip . But i still managed to become a Zeppelin fan . The problem is most of these 13-16 year olds arent even classic rock fans to start with . They follow whatever the mainstream throws at them .

And currently it's guitar Hero and Rock Band . All iam saying is why does Zeppelin have to conform to the trend ? Have you seen the hits on youtube ? Plenty of young teenagers who ARE rock fans know about them and like them . Why should Zeppelin go out of their way to appaeal to Gamers ?

It isn't as simple as some of you are trying to make it out to be. This is not a thread about the many ways to preserve and include Led Zeppelin for future generations. It's a thread about a game that is played for fun and the fact that the subject matter of that game highly relates to Led Zeppelin but they are not included. The game also serves as a means to introduce new bands to people who might not normally sample them through a typical music browsing experience.

I'll compare the game to an appetizer you'd get at a restaurant. These games are like a Rock & Roll sampler. Let's say whenever you go to this restaurant you always get this appetizer and you especially favor a particular item. But as soon as the waiter brings it out, you notice your favorite part of it is missing. The waiter apologizes and then brings out another one, but wait...no Led Zeppelin still!

So while I talk exclusively about Led Zeppelin and video games, it doesn't mean that Led Zeppelin can be preserved exclusively through them. That's just silly. All I'm saying is that this is one of the many ways. The more ways that Led Zeppelin is excluded from emerging culture, the worse Led Zeppelin awareness will be.

It sounds like I'm talking about fund raising...but I think it's a good cause.

I understand your point . But from what i can see Zeppelin still is the most popular Classic rock band . When they did their show in 2007 ! 20 million ! people tried to buy tickets for one show .

Even Sabbath or bands who are on GH would never get those numbers . I just dont think Zeppelins

fan base is in trouble

I understand your point . But from what i can see Zeppelin still is the most popular Classic rock band . When they did their show in 2007 ! 20 million ! people tried to buy tickets for one show .

Even Sabbath or bands who are on GH would never get those numbers . I just dont think Zeppelins

fan base is in trouble

True, everyone from Brazil to Russia is a fan of or has heard of them already. They are one of the most well publicized bands of all time. Not necessarily saying that in a negative sense, just saying its true.

one of the few? who else hasnt let them use there music?

I know most bands have let them . This whole thing is silly ! obvioulsy Zeppelin does not want to do GH . Let it go . it doesnt efftect their status as a great rock band .

I think that they are just very protective of what is the pinnacle of their life's work. Most bands probably aren't worried that their master tapes will come to any harm. I know that if there were any master tapes I'd want to look at, it'd be the Led Zeppelin ones. I certainly wouldn't steal them though. I could care less about the other bands.

I'm not buying the fact that this is the only way people are going to discover Led Zeppelin.

Perfect example - I affect hundreds of people per day by making it a point to have the windows down at stoplights and drown out everyone within 500 feet of my car with Led Zeppelin on max. volume. lol

Have people forgot about record stores? You can still go there and listen to music thru headphones before you buy... If not that - doesn't anyone have older siblings or parents?

Its not even that.., I had some pretty shitty favourite bands when I was a kid... eventually (with little to no outside influence) I was able to see thru bullshit music and come upon the good stuff.

Its like I always say... people these days need to learn how to think and feel for themselves... not think and feel only whats shot at you through the media. Put down the god-damn games for a second and go live life.

Sorry but you really come across as an elitist dick.

fan base is in trouble

Yeah 20 million...ADULTS! For many kids of my generation GH and RB opened their eyes to this music. It's no longer in the media so thats really the only form of media where they can hear it or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
There's a lot of cool information about Guitar Hero HERE

Rock Band HERE

Lot's of food for thought.

Eat up!

I couldnt find anything on bands that wont allow there music to be used if anyone actually does know a site that has this im going to stick to my originaly statement that led zep is only one left.

I love led zeppelins music but this seems allmost selfish now!

although i dont thinks its selfish... most of the time its considerd selling out. I mean the only advantage really is having people that wouldnt regularly listen to zep pick it up because its in a game. If it would be my band, id say no to... I guess it little hard to explain but i see why they arent jumping on board.

I couldnt find anything on bands that wont allow there music to be used if anyone actually does know a site that has this im going to stick to my originaly statement that led zep is only one left.

Yeah the Wikipedia article does mention that there are other bands that will not likely be included, but it's not the same reason as why Led Zeppelin won't join in. Some other bands don't have their master tapes and so they can't hand them over to Activision or Harmonix.

But as for refusing to include songs, it seems like Led Zeppelin is alone. Of course it's not so much of a refusal as it is their concern about their property and legacy.

although i dont thinks its selfish... most of the time its considerd selling out. I mean the only advantage really is having people that wouldnt regularly listen to zep pick it up because its in a game. If it would be my band, id say no to... I guess it little hard to explain but i see why they arent jumping on board.

...(not necessarily directed at Olipticle)...

I don't think it's about selling out, at least not for the remaining members of Led Zeppelin who have control over this.

Take a look at the recent Verizon ringtones and other downloadable content that Led Zeppelin has endorsed. Everyone likes to have Led Zeppelin on their phone (there are more cell phones than computers or video game systems in the world), but the second they talk about going into video games, they are selling out?

I could understand the sellout approach if Led Zeppelin decided to make their own video game outside of the music video game realm. But if Led Zeppelin were included in the Guitar Hero / Rock Band series, they would be among their Rock peers, just as if they had released an actual album among their peers.

How purist do the "sellout callers" need to be? I mean, gosh, they really sold out when they cut all those albums...

In the video game world, Led Zeppelin doesn't exist. It's a missing link in the Rock chain.

understandable its just the only real plus is getting peopel who wouldnt really listen to the music to hear it for the first time or for it to be alive. I dunno man i think commercials and all are selling out a little to but thats just me and the person i am lol

Whitesnake, Electric Light Orchestra, King Crimson, Genesis, Iron Maiden (as original recordings), Johnny Cash, Vanilla Fudge are just some examples.

fan base is in trouble

The definition of classic rock is changing. Soon, classic rock will equate to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Archived