Guitar Hero and Rock Band

guitarmy

The definition of classic rock is changing. Soon, classic rock will equate to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Sadly enough, I already heard stuff from Pearl Jam's Ten album on several classic rock radio stations. I personally feel that unless it is 20 or more years old...it should not be considered classic rock.

The definition of classic rock is changing. Soon, classic rock will equate to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Yeah true. Either way, there are both current and classic rock tracks available in these games. They always seem to have a good mix, even though I favor the classic rock ones.

Sadly enough, I already heard stuff from Pearl Jam's Ten album on several classic rock radio stations. I personally feel that unless it is 20 or more years old...it should not be considered classic rock.

Well Pearl Jam formed in 1990, so we're a little over a year away from that 20 year mark!

I think putting songs in games and movies and ads has always been a little cheesy. I mean look at songs like Under Pressure, Takin' Care Of Business, Eye Of The Tiger, We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You, Sweet Home Alabama, Smoke On The Water, there's tons of them, and there's always a big cheese factor associated with them now, they've been sold out so many times... even Rock And Roll got a bit annoying for me after hearing it so many damned times on TV ads.

I think putting songs in games and movies and ads has always been a little cheesy. I mean look at songs like Under Pressure, Takin' Care Of Business, Eye Of The Tiger, We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You, Sweet Home Alabama, Smoke On The Water, there's tons of them, and there's always a big cheese factor associated with them now, they've been sold out so many times... even Rock And Roll got a bit annoying for me after hearing it so many damned times on TV ads.

I definitely agree with you about the cheese factor in the cases you mentioned.

One thing to clarify though:

The music in movies and commercials are pretty much background elements. The main element of the Cadillac commercial is not the music, but is the car. The music presents the car in a certain way, but it's not really in the forefront.

With GH/RB, the music is the main element. Instead of the music presenting a car, it goes the other way around, so that the video game presents the music. Guitar Hero / Rock Band presents rock music as an entity that does not include Led Zeppelin. This doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, there have been video games that've had a couple songs from an artist/band in the game. These songs usually play in the background while the game is played.

I'm not sure when they started doing this. I can remember playing two games which had this:

Twisted Metal 3 --> Rob Zombie

Crazy Taxi --> The Offspring

Were these the first? I don't know, but these are the ones I remember from early on. You'd be playing the game, hear the music, and then think, "hey there's just no way some video game producer made that--hey I think that's Rob Zombie!"

It didn't seem that cheesy to me at the time because I was a kid. Now, it seems a little cheesy.

On the GH/RB front though, the subject is music, so it doesn't appear as cheesy to me.

yeah i have played

i mean i kinda hate the game any way

i play guitar and it pisses me of when kid act like it harder than real guitar!

i also think people should try to pick up a guitar!

i mean your spending 89$ or more on the game anyway. why not save and buy and ibanez or fender. or gibson or epiphon( said those just for jimmy)

i mean i can play over the hill and far away, saitway, baby im going to leave you, and black dog

so i kinda hate the game

but just becuase i say that. dosen't mean you have to hate it though. i encourge you to like it. it just my opienyen!

yeah i have played

i mean i kinda hate the game any way

i play guitar and it pisses me of when kid act like it harder than real guitar!

I enjoy doing both. Which one is harder really depends on the song and which level of GH or real guitar you are.

It's probably easier to play guitar hero for the first time than it is guitar.

It's not about the difficulty being harder. It's about the difficulty being different.

Let's see if I can point out some differences:

While the guitar video game controller and the guitar instrument appear to be similar in overall form, the obvious difference is this:

Guitar Hero: 1 strum bar - 5 buttons

Real Guitar: 6 strings - 22 frets

In Guitar Hero, there are 5 single button options with the 1 strum bar. In real guitar, there are 132 (6x22) options with the 6 strings and 22 frets--and that's only if you press one at a time (no chords, not unlike many guitar solos).

So real guitar has more options, which I assume makes it harder, and with it comes more confusion.

In order to read the music,

Guitar Hero: you associate the colored button(s) on the guitar with the colored dots on the screen.

Real Guitar: you either read sheet music or tabs.

Guitar Hero is definitely easier in this regard. Even if you're color blind, you can still associate the dots by the position they are in, much like how the color blind are allowed to drive since all you really need to pay attention to is the position of the light that is turned on. The one on top means stop and the one on the bottom means go. Both position and color on the game controller correspond to the on-screen dots. There isn't much to learning this system other than this!

Real guitar is harder because even if you learn tabs, which some might call easier than reading notes, you still have to account for 22 fret positions on each string, and chords too!

Learning how to read basic sheet music isn't really all that hard if you put your mind to it. But it's still a skill that the average person doesn't possess. Tthere are more notes to remember than there are buttons on the guitar controller. There are different accents that could also be placed on those notes/chords. Not to mention there are many different picking techniques.

The only accent that Guitar Hero has is are simulated hammer-ons and pull-offs, which are executed by hitting the right button(s) without having to hit the strum bar. In real guitar, This is like striking a lower note and smashing down on a higher one of the same string (hammer-on) or releasing a higher note and holding on to a lower one (pull-off).

Control:

Guitar Hero: The song goes on with or with out you. If you miss a note, the note doesn't get played and a "KLANG" sound occurs. You have to keep up with the song and must give the same performance over and over.

Real Guitar: you have a lot of room to put your own spin on a piece. Depending on what you play, you likely have a lot of room for improvisation. You might be able to slow it down or speed it up a bit, or do something entirely different.

I think that Guitar Hero is harder in this respect because you don't get to go at your own pace. The faster the song, the harder it gets. This is true for real guitar too, but with Guitar Hero, you have to react visually to the notes on the screen, process what you need to do with your fingers, and then do it.

While playing real guitar is similar, it's easier to remember the notes/chords because they are not random. Guitar Hero just throws a bunch of dots on the screen and you have to react visually. While the same part of a song is played the same way in Guitar Hero, there is no correlation between songs other than "low notes on the left to high notes on the right". That's right, all the notes in a Guitar Hero song get put into 1 of 5 categories (A.K.A. buttons). So it's bound to be inconsistent and confusing to the player, when crossing over from one song to the next.

In real guitar, there are a number of songs that have pretty much the same chords but with different order. So in this case, you can use your strength of knowing the other song to help your learn a new one. There is a little bit of this going on in Guitar Hero, but the chords are also very limited, and it's only visual. The same chord on one song can be played with the same 2 or 3 buttons, but it likely won't sound the same.

Right vs. Wrong

There is a clear right and wrong in Guitar Hero. If you don't hit the note, you're wrong! If you miss a bunch then you fail!

The same isn't necessarily true for real guitar. Did Jimi Hendrix play the Star-Spangled banner incorrectly? There are just more options for "right" with a real guitar. Failing with a real guitar might mean that you've forgotten what to play when, lost your place, or simply hit the wrong note/chord. Even then, if you're good, you can find a way to get back to where you should be.

Guitar Hero is harder here because there is a clear right and wrong way to play something. This is more abstractly defined with real guitar.

---

I think the control factor and "right vs. wrong" factor are what makes a song harder on Guitar Hero than it is on real guitar. For one thing, I can strum a pick with more speed/precision timing than I can strum an awkward plastic strum bar. Remember that I mentioned the KLANG in Guitar Hero? Well that's how everyone knows you messed up. You can mess up in real guitar and no one will ever know B)

In closing, I take both of these things for what they are:

Guitar Hero is a game.

Real guitar is an art*.

Both have their place in culture.

*there will actually be some sort of "Create your own music" mode in Guitar Hero 4. This sounds really stupid to me, but I'm interested in how it's gonna work. The creativity factor for a real guitar is through the roof, and for Guitar Hero it's non-existent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
im glad zep hasnt sold out to that dumb game.

Thats what I always say! It's like...so tons of wannabe fans can go out and buy it, and freaking play out the song, and ruin it by saying "Oh yeah! I loved Led Zeppelin" even though they don't know the first damn thing about Led Zeppelin? -goes to Pet Peeves thread-

:rolleyes:

Thats what I always say! It's like...so tons of wannabe fans can go out and buy it, and freaking play out the song, and ruin it by saying "Oh yeah! I loved Led Zeppelin" even though they don't know the first damn thing about Led Zeppelin? -goes to Pet Peeves thread-

:rolleyes:

Isn't this a socio-cultural phenomenon that occurs with just about any subject?

I know exactly what you mean though. It can get annoying because in a sense, on this forum we're all "experienced/expert" Led Zeppelin'ers and the would be Guitar Hero fans would be the "noobs".

I think the most similar thing to your theory is the already known "Stairway" phenomena. Many people only know of Led Zeppelin because of this song as it is. You put some more songs in Guitar Hero (No Stairway initially) and they know 2 or 3 more songs.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

In order to read the music,

Guitar Hero: you associate the colored button(s) on the guitar with the colored dots on the screen.

Real Guitar: you either read sheet music or tabs.

Thank you. GH is like running the cash register at McDonald's.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny watching rock bands playing Rock Band and Guitar Hero...because they're all TERRIBLE at it. Look up when Rush were on Jon Stewart.

I don't see it any different than licensing a song to be part of a karaoke catalog. It's all supposed to be about having fun. I think it's a great family activity.

I can understand what Page and Q Prime are saying regarding protecting the master tapes, but as far as purism goes, why did they not just stick to one format?

I think it exposes the songs, even lesser known songs to a varied audience who no longer listen to radio as a means of getting music.

The video game can also include actual footage of the band, a little bit of history, and audio clips.

I also think a lot of musicians also see it as the potential for kids to give the plastic thing up and get the real deal. It's no different than when you buy your kid or niece and nephew a toy guitar with push buttons to play with for a while.

In Jimmy's case as well as the other members of LZ go, it's going to wind up being family members putting the bug in their ears in convincing them why they should let it happen. With The Beatles, Dhani Harrison was the one who had a lot of influence over getting the others to sign off on it, plus most of their kids mentioned it.

I'm not a gamer by any stretch, mostly because I suck at them. But, Rock Band is a great way for people with no musical aptitude (like myself) to enjoy themselves. I can carry a tune, but that's about it. LZ songs would be a RIOT to tackle! I think my "band" would get boo'ed off the stage if I attempted to sing any of 'em. But hell, give me a few jack and cokes and I'll give it a go! :P

Guitar Hero and Rock Band have inspired 2.5 million kids to pick up real instruments.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle5266959.ece

Suck it, haters. These games are positive influences! Zep will come around sooner or later...

This is a great article.

It confirms a lot of what we've talked about here.

Yeah I hope Led Zeppelin comes around as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also from a younger generation and am quite familiar with the games Guitar Hero and Rockband. However, I would never want Led Zeppelin to be in these games.

As mentioned in a post above, the songs on the video games are covered and will totally butcher Led Zeppelin songs. Also, it sort of bothers me when some kids say they are fans of a specific band when all they know is the songs from Guitar Hero games.

In a way, I feel kind of protective over Led Zeppelin if their popular songs are featured in a videogame and attract 'non-true/poser' fans. ..Was that statement a little weird? :huh:

I am also from a younger generation and am quite familiar with the games Guitar Hero and Rockband. However, I would never want Led Zeppelin to be in these games.

As mentioned in a post above, the songs on the video games are covered and will totally butcher Led Zeppelin songs. Also, it sort of bothers me when some kids say they are fans of a specific band when all they know is the songs from Guitar Hero games.

In a way, I feel kind of protective over Led Zeppelin if their popular songs are featured in a videogame and attract 'non-true/poser' fans. ..Was that statement a little weird? :huh:

The past few entries in each series (Guitar Hero and Rock Band) have only used original recordings. Cover Versions are the way of the dodo. And actually, this switch to masters-only is the direct reason why Zeppelin aren't in these games. Jimmy doesn't like handing them out to strangers, but understandably so. He's had a lot of tapes stolen from his home.

I wonder, why don't the game companies ask for live Zep? It would give Jimmy a perfect excuse to remaster some soundboards and maybe score us a new live album!

Have both Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band in my house, fun to play..I beat GH3 on Expert hahaha but I'm glad Zep hasnt given these games one of their songs...its adds to the mystery of Zep..on the other hand Aerosmith had a WHOLE guitar hero game ...talk about sellouts.

The past few entries in each series (Guitar Hero and Rock Band) have only used original recordings. Cover Versions are the way of the dodo. And actually, this switch to masters-only is the direct reason why Zeppelin aren't in these games. Jimmy doesn't like handing them out to strangers, but understandably so. He's had a lot of tapes stolen from his home.

I wonder, why don't the game companies ask for live Zep? It would give Jimmy a perfect excuse to remaster some soundboards and maybe score us a new live album!

Yeah bring Jimmy and the rest to the studio to re-record it...

If he was going to go to the studio, he'd probably just bring the master tapes and watch them like a hawk.

Besides, who's gonna sing or play drums?

Yeah bring Jimmy and the rest to the studio to re-record it...

If he was going to go to the studio, he'd probably just bring the master tapes and watch them like a hawk.

Besides, who's gonna sing or play drums?

Maybe they could re-record all parts except vocals? It's just one tape. And of course Jason would record the drum parts!

Archived