Jimmy & Roy - 1984

SunChild

He is so right about music beginning to get stale when you have one or two bands who are worth a damn, and then you get a whole slew of copycats just trying to make a quick buck.

And fuck dave, nobody even knows who he is. Saying that JP was scared and all. Jimmy was right, 80's pop music sucked.

There use to be a better longer version of this around but I cant find it any more. At the end it showed Jimmy and Roy playing some more instead of going to talk with the other band.

That would be lovely to see and hear, if it can be found.

Aw, poor Jimmy, I love and hate the way he says "Well, we are..." after he says "I thought you were gonna say we're two thousand years old!"

"Be faa-a-a-a-ir, Ma-a-a-a-ark!" - anyone see a connection between this and the ble-e-e-e-e-ating vocals on Hats Off to Roy Harper? OMG! :o:hysterical:

Jimmy seems kind of hurt and peeved in this interview; most likely because the interviewer is quite rude: first calling them "70's rock stars" as if they should be in a museum display, and then interrupting them throughout the interview when they speak. Even the affable Roy has to say something like, "I know I'm answering slower than you'd like..."

• 6 years later...

I know this is a very old thread, but it may be of interest that Mark Ellen (the BBC interviewer here) dedicates an entire chapter of his memoirs to this one event.

Roy Harper and Jimmy Page were both heroes to him, but he didn't enjoy this encounter at all and counts it as a low point in his career. Interesting story anyway, and no one comes out of it particularly well.

BnbIjXNCAAE_ZMY.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Stars-Stole-Life-Affair-ebook/dp/B00GIUGT3S/ref=la_B00I4ZMA7E_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401010506&sr=1-1

I know this is a very old thread, but it may be of interest that Mark Ellen (the BBC interviewer here) dedicates an entire chapter of his memoirs to this one event.

Roy Harper and Jimmy Page were both heroes to him, but he didn't enjoy this encounter at all and counts it as a low point in his career. Interesting story anyway, and no one comes out of it particularly well.

BnbIjXNCAAE_ZMY.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Stars-Stole-Life-Affair-ebook/dp/B00GIUGT3S/ref=la_B00I4ZMA7E_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401010506&sr=1-1

Low point due to his handling of the situation? I hope so. No idea who he is but I thought he personified the arrogant attitude of a lot of 80's commentators who had no business looking down their noses at the musicians of the 70's...

Gah. Mark Ellen was horrible to them in terms of kicking things off with a negative start.

I admire how Jimmy Page generally manages to avoid being manipulated by interviewers. He sounds a little peeved here but still answers questions professionally.

And he was right to make fun of some of the 80s music because a lot of it was crappy, especially compared to LZ.

Archived