FREE TIBET ! !

The Rover

Thank you for your contribution to the downfall of America sir. I ask that you do not have children and you move yourself to Canada, an act that would greatly increase the IQ of America

:wave:

Please refrain from sending us your trash, our country doesn't need anymore pollution, it's polluted enough as is. Send him to China, they're already overpopulated.

So,.. anyone care to join me?

How about you, The Rover? You're calling for Tibet to be freed, are you willing

to boycott the olympics as an individual show of support for the Tibetan cause?

:whistling:

Hermit, I would gladly Boycott the 2008 Olympics in Beijing !

For the poor air quality alone, I think it's unsafe for athletes and vistors to participate!!

What I will not Boycott.... is the Democratic National Convention ! !

That... is Must See TV ! !

But, the Summer Olympics, with all of the designer drug useage .... it doesn't mean anything to me now.

Coca-Cola, Samsung Group and Lenovo have more immediate worries, too, as sponsors of the Olympic torch relay that begins in two weeks and is scheduled to pass through Tibet and up Mount Everest. The celebration now could be in danger of being marred either by activists or a heavy military presence. But there won't be changes to the torch relay, said the companies and the Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee.

It will be "more challenging and sensitive" for Olympic sponsors to activate their marketing campaigns and derive maximum value from their sponsorship given these recent controversies over Darfur and Tibet, said Marcus John, China managing director for marketing agency IMG Worldwide.

For example, sponsorship for the torch relay is separate from the Games itself and usually costs about $15 million to $20 million, say people in the industry. Torch sponsors can spend an equivalent amount building marketing campaigns around the relays. Coca-Cola, a six-time torch sponsor, has planned a campaign highlighting the eco-contributions of many of its torch-bearers, while Lenovo held a global competition inviting potential torch-bearers to submit essays and video clips.

Most company sponsors said it wasn't their role to advise China on political policy, and they stressed the role of the Games in promoting peace.

URL for this article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120570507375240027.html

Great post MSG !

Most company sponsors said it wasn't their role to advise China on political policy, and they stressed the role of the Games in promoting peace.

Yeah,

That worked so well for the Summer AND Winter Olympics in Nazi Germany in 1936 . . . <_<

I found this:

China Politics and The Everest Ban

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7299410.stm

An example of China's habits of control can even be seen on the peaks of Mount Everest.

It was the Everest climbers' website Everest News that earlier this month revealed that China had closed Mount Everest on the Tibetan side until 10 May. It has since persuaded the government of Nepal, to which it gives substantial economic aid, to do the same on its side.

The stated reason is "concern of heavy climbing activities, crowded climbing routes and increasing environmental pressures".

But the real reason is probably to allow a Chinese team to reach the summit with the Olympic torch - without risking other climbers flying the Tibetan flag at the same time.

Hermit, I would gladly Boycott the 2008 Olympics in Beijing !

For the poor air quality alone, I think it's unsafe for athletes and vistors to participate!!

awesome!.. you're in on the boycott! :thumbsup:

..and zosodude too! :cheer:

..and Pb too! (uhh..I think. :unsure: )

cheers olympic boycotters!!

:beer:

What I will not Boycott.... is the Democratic National Convention ! !

That... is Must See TV ! !

:lol:

Yeah,.. I hear ya.

That'll be Must See TV for sure! :thumbsup:

And believe you me,.. I'll watch the RNC too!

Watching the RNC will be like watching highlights of "The

Worst of American Idol: Political Reality TV Version". :P

It'll be 3 fun-and-fear-filled hours of..

munchies.gif

covereyes.gif

munchies.gif

covereyes.gif

munchies.gif

:D

Thank you for your contribution to the downfall of America sir. I ask that you do not have children and you move yourself to Canada, an act that would greatly increase the IQ of America

:wave:

Hey Bro we don't want him. :o

I'm not quite sure how I would go about "boycotting" the Summer Olympics, if you mean not go...got that covered, wasn't planning on it anyway. And if you mean not watch it, I wouldn't anyway, BOOOORING.

Boycotting means not sending our athletes over there to compete, which means no american money, but i assume you know that.

I don't believe boycotting Olympic Games...

It achieves nothing, as seen by the boycotts of '76, '80, and '84

And all you're doing is hurting the atheletes. They spend years training for specific olympic games.

The games are meant to be a celebration of sport and a coming together of atheletes in the spirit of fair competition, it's meant to a level of connectivity, but people are always trying to politicize the games, trying to turn them into a politcal football.

Some atheletes, gymnasts, for example will start training 7 years before an Olympic games, and they will be focused on only one Olympic Games, and if you start boycotting, then you're robbing them of the peak of their career,

An Olympic boycott won't solve anything in Tibet. In fact the Tibetans have more power and leverage now that the Chinese are worried about the games than they ever have before. That's why the protests broke out now.

The Chinese don't want people to boycott the games, so if a lot of countries do, the Chinese will go "okay, fuck it, we've lost the games, lets now have a crack down in Tibet".

The best thing the USA can do is just threaten to boycott.

China will probably rival the USA in about 30 years time. The sheer rapidity of China's development is astonishing. Remember, 35 years ago, China was in abject poverty and the whole of society was being terrorized by the Cultural Revolution and the Gang of Four (one of them being Chairman Mao's wife). Everything was in complete disarray. The Mao dies and Deng Xiaoping eventually gets control in the late 70's, and that when things changed in China.

And it's only been in the last 30 years that China has developed into what we see today. That's a massive economic and social development in just 30 years...

Look at the city of Shenzhen...30 years ago it didn't even exist, it was just a tiny fishing village in the countryside. Then in 1979 they began plans to build a city there, and this is what it looks like today:

shenzhen_lycheepark.jpg

This amount of progress in such a short space of time shows everybody the determination of The Chinese people.

I don't believe boycotting Olympic Games...

It achieves nothing, as seen by the boycotts of '76, '80, and '84

And all you're doing is hurting the atheletes. They spend years training for specific olympic games.

The games are meant to be a celebration of sport and a coming together of atheletes in the spirit of fair competition, it's meant to a level of connectivity, but people are always trying to politicize the games, trying to turn them into a politcal football.

Bullshit! Boycotting the games, the broadcasters and the sponsers of the games will make a difference. For one it will make the Chinese realize that despite all of their economic development they are still a pariah when it comes to human rights. It's not like we can go over there and do anything about that, but in the Chinese mindset "loosing face" over the Olympics is a better way to get at them than dropping a bomb.

Trust me, if the Olympics are not widely watched or supported, these Red Chinese bastards are going to be pissed off.

Some atheletes, gymnasts, for example will start training 7 years before an Olympic games, and they will be focused on only one Olympic Games, and if you start boycotting, then you're robbing them of the peak of their career,

Tough shit. I'm sure they will get over it.... and get a job sooner or later.

Besides, this is not the winter Olympics... the one we really want to see anyway.

An Olympic boycott won't solve anything in Tibet. In fact the Tibetans have more power and leverage now that the Chinese are worried about the games than they ever have before. That's why the protests broke out now.

The Chinese don't want people to boycott the games, so if a lot of countries do, the Chinese will go "okay, fuck it, we've lost the games, lets now have a crack down in Tibet".

Like they aren't going to do that anyway. Maybe boycotting will give them cause to think about some of their terrible policies?

The best thing the USA can do is just threaten to boycott.

China will probably rival the USA in about 30 years time. The sheer rapidity of China's development is astonishing. Remember, 35 years ago, China was in abject poverty and the whole of society was being terrorized by the Cultural Revolution and the Gang of Four (one of them being Chairman Mao's wife). Everything was in complete disarray. The Mao dies and Deng Xiaoping eventually gets control in the late 70's, and that when things changed in China.

And it's only been in the last 30 years that China has developed into what we see today. That's a massive economic and social development in just 30 years...

Look at the city of Shenzhen...30 years ago it didn't even exist, it was just a tiny fishing village in the countryside. Then in 1979 they began plans to build a city there, and this is what it looks like today:

This amount of progress in such a short space of time shows everybody the determination of The Chinese people.

To hell with China! I have already written letters to NBC Sports and I am going to write letters to all of the commercial sponsors of the games telling them that I WILL NOT purchase their products.

Bullshit! Boycotting the games, the broadcasters and the sponsers of the games will make a difference. For one it will make the Chinese realize that despite all of their economic development they are still a pariah when it comes to human rights. It's not like we can go over there and do anything about that, but in the Chinese mindset "loosing face" over the Olympics is a better way to get at them than dropping a bomb.

Trust me, if the Olympics are not widely watched or supported, these Red Chinese bastards are going to be pissed off.

ah good ol' Dopey Del....

First of all, the USA boycotted the 1980 games in Moscow, because of the USSR's military foray into Afghanistan. What did it achieve? Nothing. The war in Afghanistan dragged on til 1989 before the Soviets pulled out...

In 1979, NBC paid $100m for the television rights for the Moscow games, the highest amount of money ever paid at that time for Olympic television rights. But NBC had insurance, so when the USA pulled out, NBC got their money back and the USSR kept the cash.

And another thing you don't realise (obviously):

40% of all advertising money, television rights money and corporate sponsorship actually goes to the IOC...that's the International Olympic Committee, so a boycott will probably hurt the IOC more than China.

Another thing you don't know: 75% of all tickets to the Olympic are reserved for Chinese nationals. These Olympic Games are more geared towards showing the achievements of the CPC to the Chinese people than attracting foreign tourists. The Olympics are more important to the Chinese Goverment as a propaganda statement to their own people.

You know, buisness doesn't care. The big corporations like McDonalds don't care about Tibet. They're not going to risk losing a foot in the door to one of the world's largest consumer markets. With all that money at stake. Their sponsorship of the Beijing games is also more about getting their message across in China.

Well I don't want the man to die :lol:

I apologize to the Canadiens, just picked somewhere close...and inhabitabed by people :P

People can live in Antarctica. It's not fun, but they can live there, at least for a short time. LOL

I wasn't implying he should die either. :lol:

Yeah ok tough guy. Run away when someone challenges you're beliefs.

looks like my crevices need follow up scrapping. that's dog shit for you. you didn't challenge my beliefs you attacked me first personally because you didn't like my opinion or it was just a weak attempt to upgrade your social status as a stupid ass to a bad ass. you fail.

18 March 2008

PARIS - France's Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner says the European Union should consider boycotting the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics if violence continues in Tibet.

The head of the European parliament and media watchdog Reporters Without Borders are calling Tuesday for such a boycott. Kouchner says the proposal is "interesting."

Kouchner is telling reporters in Paris that the idea should be considered by EU foreign ministers meeting later this month.

looks like my crevices need follow up scrapping. that's dog shit for you. you didn't challenge my beliefs you attacked me first personally because you didn't like my opinion or it was just a weak attempt to upgrade your social status as a stupid ass to a bad ass. you fail.

Yes, I'm a badass.

Back on topic, lets recap shall we? Your words originally were "our people are fat and stupid"

I'm American, thus you were calling me fat and stupid. Thats insulting. It was a personal attack on the citizens of this country. I simply fired back. Get over it

I simply fired back

of course!

you're a casebook example of a stupid american. instead of looking at yourself owning up and fixing the problem you want to attack and blame others. you shoot off not so precision guided turds from your machine gunning mouths before thinking first. then you high five your redneck buddies and wallow around together in your shit like the pigs you chose to be.

like a stupid american when you speak or act you contradict yourself, without even realising it. you believe communist china is in the wrong but you don't mind using their tactics in the the name of blind patriotism.

of course!

you're a casebook example of a stupid american. instead of looking at yourself owning up and fixing the problem you want to attack and blame others. you shoot off not so precision guided turds from your machine gunning mouths before thinking first. then you high five your redneck buddies and wallow around together in your shit like the pigs you chose to be.

like a stupid american when you speak or act you contradict yourself, without even realising it. you believe communist china is in the wrong but you don't mind using their tactics in the the name of blind patriotism.

Boy you sure know a lot about me. I'm a blind patriot, you're right. I don't like the Iraq War, but I'm blindly following the US :rolleyes:

Hey Einstein, you insulted the entire nation. See any hypocrisy there bud? You're a casebook example of a whiny little bitch. You insulted an entire country, then when someone says something back, you won't own up to the fact you said anything wrong in the first place. I owned up to the fact that I said something wrong (not apologizing, and thats saying something coming from me), you've yet to do so yourself.

Wheres that mirror I gave ICQYB?

Archived