D&C 1973 or 1975?

NYC6880

This has probably been asked a few times but what the hell....Which do you like better Dazed from 73 or 75? Or perhaps you like a different years version, if so, lets hear it.

For me, I gotta go with Dazed from 75 with Woodstock even though some of the 75 versions drag a little bit I still think these were the better versions, plus I loved them adding Woodstock. Close second goes to the Euro 73 versions which are incredible.

Whats your favorite style or version of D&C?

It just depends on the night. I've heard and seen great versions from both tours. For me seeing the live performance, I'd have to say 75. The best version for me was 72. Having said that. Page's tone and playing sounded great at O2

1973 hands down for me...then 1972 and 1971. 75 dazed just drags a bit and like someone said pages guitar tone was not as good and he was sloppy (too much JD lol)

hamburg is an amazing show...actually anything from that german tour is incredible....love the offenburg and nuremburg D+C......every show on that march madness tour is a must have!!!

cheers

• 2 months later...
It just depends on the night. I've heard and seen great versions from both tours. For me seeing the live performance, I'd have to say 75. The best version for me was 72. Having said that. Page's tone and playing sounded great at O2

My sentimental favorite D&C is 1971 because it was the first time that I heard it performed live. Musically, I agree with you that '72 was the best version for me. Those two Zep concerts I saw in '72 remain special favorites.

My sentimental favorite D&C is 1971 because it was the first time that I heard it performed live. Musically, I agree with you that '72 was the best version for me. Those two Zep concerts I saw in '72 remain special favorites.

They're performances in 71 were mezmorizing. There are just not enough good audience recordings to fully appreciate how great they played and sounded that year.

They're performances in 71 were mezmorizing. There are just not enough good audience recordings to fully appreciate how great they played and sounded that year.

"Mesmerizing" is a great description for the '71 concert I attended - especially during Jimmy's guitar solos. I had never seen or heard anything like it in my life. It was transcendent. I thought the '72 concerts were stronger and more powerful musically. I think that, at least at the concerts I attended in '72, D&C was something like twice the length it was in '71. Both years were great, each in their own way and for different reasons.

"Mesmerizing" is a great description for the '71 concert I attended - especially during Jimmy's guitar solos. I had never seen or heard anything like it in my life. It was transcendent. I thought the '72 concerts were stronger and more powerful musically. I think that, at least at the concerts I attended in '72, D&C was something like twice the length it was in '71. Both years were great, each in their own way and for different reasons.

I've only got recordings to judge 72 and your right about them being musically stronger. I'm still miffed about not getting across the border for that Seattle show :( but what the hey, I've still got plenty of great memory's

I've only got recordings to judge 72 and your right about them being musically stronger. I'm still miffed about not getting across the border for that Seattle show :( but what the hey, I've still got plenty of great memory's

That border crossing issue was crazy - until you wrote about it on the board, I didn't know what happened. We certainly can't complain about our Zep concert memories - we've got some great ones. :)

That border crossing issue was crazy - until you wrote about it on the board, I didn't know what happened. We certainly can't complain about our Zep concert memories - we've got some great ones. :)

I don't carry a grudge about it. It was 1972 ( that should explain things on they're own ) and I was pretty young. I can see why they would have been a little concerned. It just wasn't meant to be, that's all

For me, this is easy. My all-time favorite D&C is Earl's Court, May 24th, and I also think it's the best of their career. The Woodstock section is pure genius, and I love the minute or two before the Woodstock section when it's just Jimmy noodling around on the strings.

I touched Earl's Court arena last June...silly, I know, but I wanted to see if there were any echoes still in the building.

earl

For me, this is easy. My all-time favorite D&C is Earl's Court, May 24th, and I also think it's the best of their career. The Woodstock section is pure genius, and I love the minute or two before the Woodstock section when it's just Jimmy noodling around on the strings.

I touched Earl's Court arena last June...silly, I know, but I wanted to see if there were any echoes still in the building.

Yeah, that whole section all the way up to where the bow begins is one of Zeppelins most magical moments ever, it's just so beautiful and at the same time its dark and spooky,

just amazing.

Still, I prefer the '73 versions over '75 all around.

It took five years of playing Dazed for them to finally crystalize it during the '73 tour,

this song shows the growth and commitment of the band over this time period in a big way, fascinating.

I don't carry a grudge about it. It was 1972 ( that should explain things on they're own ) and I was pretty young. I can see why they would have been a little concerned. It just wasn't meant to be, that's all

Ally, I understand what you mean about things that were meant to be - and things that weren't. I missed a host of Zep concerts too - most notably, all of the '77 concerts. I don't hold a grudge for any of those missed opportunities either. As I remember your story, you and your friends had tickets and were prevented from crossing the U.S.- Canadian border by the immigration guards - your missing the concerts was completely out of your control, it seems.

Ally, I understand what you mean about things that were meant to be - and things that weren't. I missed a host of Zep concerts too - most notably, all of the '77 concerts. I don't hold a grudge for any of those missed opportunities either. As I remember your story, you and your friends had tickets and were prevented from crossing the U.S.- Canadian border by the immigration guards - your missing the concerts was completely out of your control, it seems.

Totally. My main regret about the ordeal was that after the 71 concert, I had managed to convert some people to the virtues of seeing Zeppelin live. They managed to get to the show and I didn't lol

To add insult to injury, I had to listen to they're glowing reports about about it :D There is some irony in that.

It's called a "Poll", and I wish you'd taken the time to use that feature!

Anyways, it's 1975 hands down over the 1973 performance.

For the look and the feel and the music for what I witnessed personally.... 1975 beats out 1973, for me!

I wouldn´t dare to discuss the live expierence with someone who actually saw them back then.

Anyway, every ´75 version I´ve heard so far (EC, Vancouver, MSG,...) pales in comparison to most of the ´73 shows.

Even the TSRTS version is cool, although I´ve heard JP quite dislikes it... B) I love it! B)

• 2 weeks later...

ive heard alot about this hamburg in 73 show. sounds like im gonna have to hook up with this one somewhere.

favorite lyrically has to be 1970-01-09 (Royal Albert Hall) - its a cop out, i know, but i like the alternate "policeman dressed in blue" lyrics, and plant keeps his random "ba-ba-ba's" to a, well, i dont want to say minimum (because i like them) but, just a little less scattered all over the place. basically, the call and plays sound clean. i suppose it would since they knew they were being recorded that night, but i digress.

favorite post-bow solo-solo is 1970-03-07 (Montreux) - some pretty all-out shit going on there, and pretty clean playing on all parts... just cant hear what JPJ is doing because of the mix. raw, untampered with, early Led. Damn good performance as a whole as well

favorite bow solo is 1970-09-04 (Blueberry Hill) - nice and clean, more lengthy than most 1970s

i was never too big of a fan of the longer 25-30 minute versions, whats 1970, like 16-17 mins? thats quite enough. ive always thought of how many more times and whole lotta love as their medley songs.., to me, dazed and confused was good enough by itself, although someof the longer versions are pretty swingin.

anyways, this is why im voting for "circa 1970" B)

favorite post-bow solo-solo is 1970-03-07 (Montreux) - some pretty all-out shit going on there, and pretty clean playing on all parts... just cant hear what JPJ is doing because of the mix. raw, untampered with, early Led. Damn good performance as a whole as well

I'm in complete agreement with that one. I love Jimmy's distorted slapback echo bow solo. But all in all the entire song is just raunchy front to back. Blistering version.

As for '73 or '75 I really like the L.A. Forum version from 1973-05-31. It clocks in around 28 minutes and kicks some heavy ass. Not the greatest of shows... but certainly not the worst either. They mopped the Forum floor with this D&C though. A monster was unleashed that night.

Archived