What Kind Of Guitar Do You Have?

Young Angus

yhst5020611118721719952sn8.jpgyhst5020611118721719953tm5.jpg

And I just bought the above body, made of mahogany, poplar, and maple...Seems to be an Ibanez RG, but it's interesting that it's missing the headstock label! :) I've decided to fit it with black hardware, and I've got it all picked out. Just not sure about the pickups yet. I'm planning on gearing it towards metal - any suggestions on a good set of metal pickups?

depends on what you are looking for.

EMG active pickups can be a good choice if that's the kind of sound you are looking for.

dimarzio has a number of good ones, the PAF pro is one of my favs.

seymour duncan blackouts are getting rave reviews, JB is also good, along with a lot

of the custom models. a custom 5 for example.

depends on what you are looking for.

EMG active pickups can be a good choice if that's the kind of sound you are looking for.

dimarzio has a number of good ones, the PAF pro is one of my favs.

seymour duncan blackouts are getting rave reviews, JB is also good, along with a lot

of the custom models. a custom 5 for example.

Uh huh. I was originally considering EMG's, but after comparing their sound with Semour Duncan Blackouts...I'm staying away from EMG. I've done quite a bit of research on the Blackouts, and they seem very promising. I'll see what I can dig up on dimarzio and PAF pro...I'm definitely looking for something with high-output.

One thing - I need a single coil pickup as well. I know single coil blackouts are made, but can't find them for sale anywhere on the internet. :wacko:

I have a 1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. It's my baby. When I bought it, it had EMG active pickups. Yuck! It brought down the price of the guitar though, lol. It was like rescuing an abandoned dog. I've since swapped them out with Seymour Duncan passive pickups.

I have a Pearly Gates pickup at the neck. Billy Gibbons helped design the Pearly Gates so its got that bright southern fried crunch. On the neck I have an Alnico Pro II pickup. The Alnico Pro II has a darker sound but it is also a bit cleaner. Its good for acoustic type chord strumming. I love this combo as these pickups temper each other when played in combo. It can take me from playing 'Black Dog' to 'Rock and Roll' to 'Over the Hills and Far Away'.

Uh huh. I was originally considering EMG's, but after comparing their sound with Semour Duncan Blackouts...I'm staying away from EMG. I've done quite a bit of research on the Blackouts, and they seem very promising. I'll see what I can dig up on dimarzio and PAF pro...I'm definitely looking for something with high-output.

One thing - I need a single coil pickup as well. I know single coil blackouts are made, but can't find them for sale anywhere on the internet. :wacko:

if you'r going for blackouts you should get the singlecoils as well.

combining active and passive pickups is notoriously tricky.

A EMG singlecoil is a alternative, as they use the same kind of

battery as far as I remeber.

if you'r going for blackouts you should get the singlecoils as well.

combining active and passive pickups is notoriously tricky.

A EMG singlecoil is a alternative, as they use the same kind of

battery as far as I remeber.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you, good to know.

I've been digging up what I can, and after lurking around on seymourduncan.com's forum, I've found out why I can't find the single coil blackouts anywhere - They still haven't been released! They say they're coming out sometime in April...which is really perfect timing for me. B)

Also I saw in several places on the SD forum that EMGs do use 9v batteries, as do blackouts, but for some reason they need some sort of "18v mod" for EMGs, and several people who converted from their EMGs to blackouts had a loud hum when using their 18v mod, so they had to convert back? Something like that. Same battery, but whatever this modification is isn't needed for the blackouts.

the 18volt mod you are talking about is maybe the hocking up two

batteries. it whount produce ant noice, but more headroom as far as I

could remeber. the sound becomes even cleaner and the pickup

responds quicker. when they use the same battery, they should also hae the same voltage.

and since the preamp and it's powerunit sits in the pickup it self, there can't be any

problems as far as I see.

But I'm no expert, I recomend asking at the gear page, lot's of experts there.

Well I received a guitar...just not the one I ordered. Some mix up, they sent the wrong body, but I've decided to keep it...as it was a good price, and they no longer have the one that I actually ordered. Different shape altogether, inlays, and pickup arrangement. This one has two slots for humbuckers, while I was expecting an HSH arrangement. Not a huge deal considering that my only other electric is a Strat. Still needs some work, but I've cleaned it up quite a bit already. Now I need to decide on either black or silver hardware...

img1169er4.jpgimg1170wu7.jpg

Picture Left to Right: Cheap Fender Acoustic, Takamine acoustic, Fender, Martin D18(on ground) Gibson Les Paul, Early 80's yamaha SBG1300ts(very cool guitar)

TheFullQuiver.jpg

Fender Lone Star Strat

LoneStarStrat.jpg

JCM800

JCM800HALFSTACKLOW.jpg

And of course I love to play zepp songs; Blackdog, rover, and heartbreaker are my favorites to play

where did you order that guitar, ive been looking for bass bodies like that.

guitarfetish.com

Got it from the neck/body factory closeout. When I bought mine, they had a bunch of guitar stuff up. Once it was gone, they put a bunch of bass stuff up. Right now they just have two bass bodies there, but if you keep checking I'm sure they'll post some new items eventually. I haven't bought anything else from them yet, but it's all very well priced, since they bought out a factory and are clearing it out, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a red Stratocaster

I'm gonna buy a Epiphone Les Paul with the Honey Burst finish.. I would buy the vintage sunburst if it didn't look like a black guitar that someone spilled some paint on.. the Gibson vintage sunburst finish looks much better.

Gibson Flying V (i don't care if Gibson calls them V Factors, Flying V is much better,) a danelectro 56 pro, and a Simon and Patrick 6 string acoustic. I'm playing on a Peavey Penta tube amp with Peavey Valve King cabinet. It goes to 11 and i haven't been able to get it past 6 without rattling walls and glass. Tone is great to.

I have the following:

Squier Fat Strat (Metallic Silver, matching headstock)

LTD M-200F (See through black)

Dean ZX (Metallic White)

Dean VX (Brazlliaburst)

Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)

I have a Gibson L-6 Deluxe except the site I got the pic of of says it's a Gibson L-6S Deluxe which mine is not and mines in almost perfect condiction and I have the real case which is beaten to death beacuse it was bought used in the 80's for $170

9bcd1eacb4272a894bb3f93d0d5b3a51.jpg

the japanese squiers from the 80s blow all of the fenders from the same period

out of the water. japan fender in general is good stuff, shame it has becoume more

difficult to get them out of japan.

A lot of the old MIJ guitars are good guitars. The old Tokai and Orville Les Paul copies I've played are easily equal to Gibsons in terms of quality and craftsmanship. And they're (well, nowadays only slightly) cheaper too.

les pauls are such an addiction, I've had my studio for almost 7 years now, but for the past few nights have had dreams about buying that les paul standard (light burst is an amazing color...).

maybe after this summer... but I feel bad being a college student spending my entire summer earnings (after paying rent) on a single guitar.

Archived