Funk recommendations

jimmie ray

Anyone have some good groups or compilations to check out - old or new (if that exists, now)?

I enjoy Stevie Wonder and Sly and the Family Stone, when I hear them on the radio. And have some Isley Brothers and Earth, Wind, and Fire on old records. I love the bass and guitar work. I know rap evolved from funk, but somewhere along the line the lyrics got confrontational and the instrumentals got dropped - so anything like this is not desireable.

Thanks, in advance!

These guys are more like a mixture of funk and rock n' roll. Back in the 70s they were referred to as "the black Led Zeppelin". Probably because their version of Smokey Robinson's and the Miracles' Mickey's Monkey bore more than a striking resemblance to Custard Pie. Still, a very kickass band though and one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They're still touring to this day but are more popular overseas than in their native U.S. (they hail from Atlanta).

51w9pzQRZlL._AA240_.jpg

Mother's Finest "Baby Love" (Live 1993)

Mother's Finest

Anyone have some good groups or compilations to check out - old or new (if that exists, now)?

I enjoy Stevie Wonder and Sly and the Family Stone, when I hear them on the radio. And have some Isley Brothers and Earth, Wind, and Fire on old records. I love the bass and guitar work. I know rap evolved from funk, but somewhere along the line the lyrics got confrontational and the instrumentals got dropped - so anything like this is not desireable.

Thanks, in advance!

Yes, anybody who wants to get into Funk has to listen to anything involving George Clinton, the guy behind the bands Funkadelic and Parliament. Clinton is regarded as one of three originators of Funk along with Sly Stone and James Brown.

Other good ports of call are any records involving the great funk bassists such as Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins.

Tower Of Power, Google "Strokeland Records" Steve Kupka aka The Funky Doctor is one of TOP's founding members. He has this site and promotes solo projects by band members and new up and comers.

Tower Of Power, Google "Strokeland Records" Steve Kupka aka The Funky Doctor is one of TOP's founding members. He has this site and promotes solo projects by band members and new up and comers.

Check out Tower Of Power on You Tube. "What Is Hip" ? and "Knock Yourself Out" both from the Montreux Jazz Festival 2006. Carlos Santana guests on both songs

I'm afraid I can only add to the voices suggesting you pay close and deep attention to"The Superheavy heavy weight champion of Funk, The Godfather of Soul, Mr Please, Please, Please, The Man with the Crown ,Mr Dynamite-JAMES BROWN" Because all the accolades are well deserved. Because he did more or less 'invent' funk as a form. Because he actually still seems to be under-rated among general'popular' music fans. If you're a bit daunted by the sheer amount of recordings the man made during his long and tumultuous career ,can I suggest you try a compilation [2 cds] called-appropriately enough-FOUNDATIONS OF FUNK-ABRAND NEW BAG:1964-1969. There's enough ground-breaking stuff on these 2 discs to keep you happy and slightly bewildered for ages.

Or, there's a box-set,recently re-released, called STARTIME,which goes back a bit further[maybe into the very late 1950's] and has some of the 'Foundation' tracks on it.

Also, you may want to have a listen to "Love, Power, Peace-Live In Paris" which features a young Bootsy Collins, along with his brother Phelps in a dazzling ,raw incarnation of The JB's.This may be his finest band's finest moment.

The last JB recommendation to start off with is the companion CD to the Foundations set, which is called "Funk Power-1970--a brand new thang".Again this has the exceptional William'Bootsy'Collins playing bass.

Because no-one else has mentioned them -and because they're pretty good, to say the least, look pout for a band called The New Master Sounds. In particular, a cd called 'Keb Darge presents The New Master Sounds'is a good guide to what they do.

Hope this helps.

These guys are more like a mixture of funk and rock n' roll. Back in the 70s they were referred to as "the black Led Zeppelin". Probably because their version of Smokey Robinson's and the Miracles' Mickey's Monkey bore more than a striking resemblance to Custard Pie. Still, a very kickass band though and one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They're still touring to this day but are more popular overseas than in their native U.S. (they hail from Atlanta).

51w9pzQRZlL._AA240_.jpg

Mother's Finest

I have to give it to you Jahfin, while sometimes it seems like your comments and tastes are predictably confined, you go ahead and break the illusion with a recommendation like this. First rate.

I have to give it to you Jahfin, while sometimes it seems like your comments and tastes are predictably confined, you go ahead and break the illusion with a recommendation like this. First rate.

I'm not sure where one would ever get the impression that my "comments and tastes are predictably confined" as I love all kinds of music: rock, country, bluegrass, ska, reggae, rocksteady, big band, world, folk, cajun, and yes, even funk. In the days of cassettes I loved nothing more than mixing up all these styles (and more) so even I never knew what was coming up next.

There are a bunch of great funk collections to get that feature many 1970's artists. Be selective and don't fall for the disco, but get the true FUNK.

Just do a google search for funk compilations and read up on it. Make your selections.

it depends on the funk...

Parliament/Funkadelic is more of a hardcore, not as mainstream funk...

WAR is a classic, but considered a little more commerical (its only "Low Rider" that gets them that general rep) but they are still good...

my two favorites happen to be James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone... both did a good job of mixing funk and R&B together...

so, for starters, I recomend WAR, Sly & the Family Stone, James Brown and Parliment/Funkadelic

Edited by zosodude13

I would suggest some New Orleans soul. I highly recomend most of The Meters albums like The Meters, Look-Ka Py Py, Struttin' and Fire On The Bayou.

Look-Ka Py Py (1970)

e218514rhvi.jpg

Also check out these comps with early New Orleans funk and soul. Almost anything Allen Toussaint (producer/singer/songwriter) is involved with is great.

New Orleans Funk (2000)

f1997511rf1.jpg

Saturday Night Fish Fry: New Orleans Funk and Soul (2001)

e92665oibak.jpg

The latter album includes an outstanding song called "A Break In The Road" with Betty Harris. It was released as a single in 1969 and got some really cool, heavy bass and drums. There is a guitar in the background, but all that comes from it is feedback, no actual chords or anything.. The original single is very rare (of course, I've got it in my collection.. B) ).

Everyone's input is very helpful, and it seems you are all having fun with it, too! Most people do enjoy it when they hear funk music, yet it's not usually found on the radio or discussed in forums, I find. The musicianship and mood are very appealing. You might even see someone dance for the first time, by putting on some funk - maybe that's what put it on the endangered genre list?

Everyone's input is very helpful, and it seems you are all having fun with it, too! Most people do enjoy it when they hear funk music, yet it's not usually found on the radio or discussed in forums, I find. The musicianship and mood are very appealing. You might even see someone dance for the first time, by putting on some funk - maybe that's what put it on the endangered genre list?

Nowadays it's fun to look back at the disco era. All the 70's nostalgia parties and the fad of that time. But the good danceable Funk was overshadowed by the shitty disco. Some of the Funk was remixed for the disco dance floor and could be a good extension, but generally the original song was better, IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with dancing so long as you don't start pointing your finger to the sky! And wearing those lousy polyester leisure suits.

51KfHhXD9ML._AA240_.jpg

Yeah!

My favorite so far is the Isley Brothers, during their funk period. These guys had Jimi Hendrix play with them very early in their career, and teach the younger Isleys how to play. Check out "Who's that Lady", for some awesome guitar/bass/synth interaction. And I believe they did the original versions of "Listen to the Music" and "Sunshine go away Today". I think they inspired the Fat Albert Band, too!

51w9pzQRZlL._AA240_.jpg

Mother's Finest

Finally!!!!!!! Someone knows where the REAL anti-disco duck, YMCA garbage FUNKY sound is at!!! :):):)....."Baby" Jean Kennedy and the boys even make Living Colour fade away, heheheheheheh!! mf GOT IT RIGHT ALL ALONG.....kick out the wimps by combining kick ass rock and funky ala-James Bown sounds!!!..................GO B.J.K.!!!

MOTHERSFINESTJoyceshowingherSEXYbac.jpg

JOYCEBABYJEANKENNEDYofMFsignedpic.jpg

........AND FOR SOME REAL PSYCHEDELIC FUNK.....LADIES AND GENTS.........AXIOM FUNK with Bootsy Collins......kick out the wimps brothers and sisters.....wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

terror.gif

funk.jpg

Edited by dragster