The Recipe Thread

Nathan

I love to cook. Cooking is such a cool thing to do. And yes, guys can cook. There's nothing wrong with it. It's best when there's not that much straightforward food in the house, because then you really have to get creative, and that's a lot of fun.

As a cook, I like to collect recipes, and I like to share mine. I thought it'd be cool if we had a thread specifically for the cooks and/or adventurists out there who want to try something new in the way of food.

So post your breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snack, and/or drink recipes here for the rest of us.

I'll start adding my own recipes, but not until I see some posts in this thread, like, say, a page or so. So share the good stuff, folks.

Please? :(:mellow::D

Edited by Nathan

Here's one of my favorites, and it's quite easy too.

I have HUGE folder in My Documents full of recipes. I've been collecting so I can compile a family cookbook one of these Christmases for my family.

Pork Tenderloin

1 pork tenderloin, unseasoned

1c. orange juice

2 apples, sliced

2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add tenderloin, orange juice, apples and sweet potatoes to roasting bag. Cook tenderloin according to package instructions, or at a low heat until inside of tenderloin reaches 160 degrees. The longer you cook it at a lower temperature, the more tender it will be. (I do it at 300 for an hour or two, sometimes three).

I had to edit because it looked like my word document was messed up. LOL

Edited by manderlyh

Here's another one, and after looking this one over, I think this is what we're having for dinner tonight! :D

Stuffed Bell Peppers

1 lb ground beef—the less fat the better

5-8 bell peppers, tops cut off

olives

1 c. frozen corn

1 jar spaghetti sauce

2 15.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes

1 large chopped onion (red is preferred)

1 garlic clove

salt

pepper

2-4 c. shredded cheddar cheese

2 c. cooked rice (I usually use Minute rice because I’m lazy)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground beef with chopped onions and chopped garlic. Season to taste, and drain fat. While browning ground beef, blanch the bell peppers. (I usually prepare the minute rice at the same time.) After all the beef is cooked, add olives, stewed tomatoes, frozen corn and the spaghetti sauce, and gradually add the rice. Once mixture is warm and has boiled, stuff peppers. I always put a little shredded cheese inside the empty peppers, then top off the peppers with plenty of shredded cheese. Put in a baking dish, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until entire dish is warm and cheese is melted.

Rigatoni Spinach Pasta

8 oz thin fresh asparagus spears

8 oz baby portobello or medium white mushrooms

1large red bell pepper

2 tbsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves, pressed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2tbsp fresh basil leaves, snipped

8oz (about 3 cups) uncooked rigatoni pasta

3/4 c whipping cream

2oz fresh grated parmesan cheese, (about 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 425. Snap off ends and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Cut mushrooms in half (or into quarters if they are large). Cut bell pepper into 1 inch squares. Combine vegetables in large colander bowl. Add olive oil and mix lightly. Press garlic over vegetables using garlic press. Add salt and black pepper, mix well. Pour into stonewarebar pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.

Meanwhile, snip basil with kitchen shears, set aside. Prepare pasta according to package directions. IN a 4 qt saucepan, simmer whipping cream 6-8 minutes over medium-low heat to thicken slightly, stirring constantly with whisk. Drain pasta in large colander. Transfer to large colander bowl. Add vegetables, heated cream and basil. Mix lightly. Using a cheese grater, grate half parmesan cheese into pasta mixture, mix lightly. Spoon onto serving plates. Sprinkle additional black pepper and remaining grated cheese.

Yield 4 servings

390 calories, 28 g fat, 380 mg sodium, fiber, 3 g.

Save 120 calories and 17 g fat per serving by substituting fat-free evaporated milk for the whipping cream. The thinner the asparagus spear, the more tender it will be. If spears are thick, cut in half lengthwise. Substitute 1 tsp dried basil for fresh, if desired. Add dried basil to whipping cream during heating.

Edited by manderlyh

Stuffed peppers are one of my latest specialties, but I got beat to posting the recipe. Not sure of those ingredients, though?

Here's a tip for ribs that are guaranteed to fall off the bone - slow bake them in the oven about 2 hours at 200 degrees F, before putting on the grill. Don't boil them. I usually rub some apple cider vinegar and Emeril's southwest seasoning on them first, lay them meat side up, then cover with tin foil. For the sauce, mix ketchup, worchester sauce, orange juice, honey, and brown sugar. Keep the fire on the grill low, also. Be careful flipping them once they're on the grill, or you get shredded pork!

Rigatoni Pasta Bake

1lb lean ground beef

1-2 bell peppers, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

1 16 oz bottle spagetti sauce

2 small cans sliced olives

2c. shredded mozzerella cheese

1 garlic clove, chopped

8oz cooked pasta of your choice (I like rigatoni

and farafalle)

any other veggies you may want to add

salt, pepper, garlic salt, basil, other spices

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown ground beef with chopped onions, bell peppers and chopped garlic. Season to taste, and drain fat. After all the beef is cooked, add olives, and the spaghetti sauce, and gradually add the rice. Once mixture is warm and has boiled, add cooked pasta. Put in a baking dish, add shredded cheese to the top, cover with foil, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until entire dish is warm and cheese is melted.

HORSE STEW

One medium sized horse, dressed and skinned

100 lb. bag russet potatoes

50 lbs. carrots

15gal. tomato sauce

3 gals. Tabasco

25 lbs. corn

25 lbs. peas

Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the horse into bite size pieces and brown in a 55 gallon drum. Add liquid ingredients and simmer till horse meat starts to get tender. Cut up all your potatoes and add. Cook until potatoes are nearly done, then add the rest of the veggies. Simmer until all veggies are tender and meat starts to fall apart.

Serve with a fine Cabernet. Feeds 100.

Hobo meal.

One or two hamburgers...

A sliced onion

A few diced carrots

One or 2 small potatoes quartered.

Worcershire sauce (2-3 tablespoons)

Wrap all up in foil and bake at 375-400 30-45 minutes.

Easy fast, just fold up whats left in foil and toss, easy not much clean up or prep time :D

donkey

HORSE STEW

One medium sized horse, dressed and skinned

100 lb. bag russet potatoes

50 lbs. carrots

15gal. tomato sauce

3 gals. Tabasco

25 lbs. corn

25 lbs. peas

Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the horse into bite size pieces and brown in a 55 gallon drum. Add liquid ingredients and simmer till horse meat starts to get tender. Cut up all your potatoes and add. Cook until potatoes are nearly done, then add the rest of the veggies. Simmer until all veggies are tender and meat starts to fall apart.

Serve with a fine Cabernet. Feeds 100.

Quit looking at me donkeys in that tone of voice?

:rolleyes:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I think your stuffed peppers and tenderloin ingredients got switched when you first posted them, but it's corrected now? Looks goooood! I never blanched peppers, the skin doesn't bother me, and they hold together better. I use Mozzarella cheese, and drizzle olive oil over everything. Same as I do for horse meat, actually...

MOOSE TURD PIE

A Favorite Hunting Camp Recipe

1 prepared pie crust

1 pkg. crust strips

1-2 large moose turds

Salt and pepper

Buy a prepared pie crust and put it in a pie dish, then locate a moose. Hold pie dish under mooses' asshole until it shits. When full, take back to the kitchen, season with salt and pepper and apply crust strips over top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crust is slightly lighter than the contents. Let cool and serve.

Feeds and straightens the attitude out of 2-3 assholes who refuse to take turns cooking.

Tres Leache cake or three milk cake.

1-½ cups All-purpose flour

1 teaspoon Baking powder

½ cup Unsalted butter

2 cups White sugar (divided)

5 Eggs

1-½ teaspoon Vanilla extract (divided)

1 cup Milk

½ of a 14-ounce can Sweetened condensed milk

½ of a 12-ounce can Evaporated milk

1/3 cup Liqueur, Frangelico, Brandy or Chambord, for example (optional)

1-½ cups Heavy (whipping) cream

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.

Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

When cake has finished baking, pierce it in 8 or 10 places with a fork or skewer, and let it cool. Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and liqueur and pour over the top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Whipped Cream Topping: When ready to serve, combine the whipping cream and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of sugar, whipping until thick. Spread over top of cake.

Because of the milk in the cake, it is very important that you keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve chilled.

MOOSE TURD PIE

1 prepared pie crust

1 pkg. crust strips

1-2 large moose turds

Salt and pepper

Buy a prepared pie crust and put it in a pie dish, then locate a moose. Hold pie dish under mooses' asshole until it shits. When full, take back to the kitchen, season with salt and pepper and apply crust strips over top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crust is slightly lighter than the contents. Let cool and serve.

Feeds and straightens the attitude out of 2-3 assholes who refuse to take turns cooking.

Umm...

Yeah. I'll be passing on this one...

:D

OK! now were talking my language :D

Seafood Gumbo

This gumbo uses a very small amount of roux, so that it remains light. You may omit the okra if you like, and thicken the gumbo with filé powder instead -- it'll still be good, but will have a quite different flavor.

• 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 2 green bell peppers, diced
  • 3 ribs celery, finely diced
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tomatoes (or 8 Roma tomatoes), seeded and diced (if you like tomatoes in your gumbo)
  • 1 cup tomato purée (see above)
  • 2 pounds okra, chopped
  • 4 quarts shrimp stock, crab stock or fish stock
  • 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning blend
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 dozen oysters, freshly shucked, liquor reserved
  • 4 blue crabs, cleaned (optional)
  • 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
  • 1 tablespoon filé powder (if okra isn't used)
  • 8 cups cooked long-grain white rice

In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and add the flour. Stir constantly until a light brown roux is formed, then add the onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté until the onions become translucent and the vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée, if you wish, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. (I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm not one of those people who likes tomatoes in my gumbo, but lots of people do. Your mileage may vary.) Add the seasonings, and about 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and continue to cook another 10 minutes. Add the okra, and cook for another 10 minutes, then add the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook another 30 minutes.

(If you wish a more rustic gumbo, you may add whole blue crabs. Remove the hard top shell from the crabs (reserving for stuffed crabs or for shellfish stock), and break each crab in two down the middle. Remove the claws. Add to the stock.) With the gumbo on very low heat, add the shrimp 10 minutes before serving, the oysters and oyster liquor 5 minutes before serving, and the crabmeat just before serving (don't cook the crabmeat, just stir until it is heated through). Taste and correct seasonings.

If you don't like okra, or if you just prefer to make a filé gumbo, remove from heat and sprinkle the filé powder on the surface of the gumbo, then cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Then uncover and stir to mix. Be careful if there are leftovers -- filé doesn't reheat all that well, and you must be careful to reheat gently. If the gumbo comes back to a boil after the filé has been added, it will get stringy.

Place about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of rice in each bowl and ladle the gumbo over and around it. Serve with plenty of french bread and good beer or white wine.

YIELD: About 10-12 entrée servings or 20-24 appetizer servings (omit hard shell crabs if serving cups of gumbo as an appetizer).

MOOSE TURD PIE

1 prepared pie crust

1 pkg. crust strips

1-2 large moose turds

Salt and pepper

You outta hook up with the dude who thinks Ramen Noodles takes 15 minutes to cook :blink:

1. Alert ambulance

2. Alert Fire Brigade

Go for it..

d :unsure: nkey

cooking ramen noodles for 15 minutes, you'd end up with a bowl full of mush.

Here are 3 sloppy joe recipes for ya

Diet Coke Sloppy Joes

1 lb lean ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tsp. cornstarch

1 cup diet cola

2/3 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons mustard

1. Brown beef and onion in a large skillet.

2. Drain well.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well.

4. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

SLOPPY JOE’S

1 lb. ground beef/turkey

1/2 c. ketchup

1/2 c. BBQ sauce

1/2 envelope dry onion soup mix

2 tsp. liquid smoke

Brown & season meat, drain. Add all other ingredients, heat

Through. Serve on buns; enjoy!

Turkey Q's

1 pound ground turkey

1/4 grated onion

a couple cloves garlic

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 cup bbq sauce

Brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat. Grate the onion and garlic into the meat while browning. Salt and pepper to taste.

When meat is browned, add the ketchup and BBQ sauce.

Turn to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Spread the meat mixture on hamburger buns.

Top with cheese and dill pickles if desired.

A quick overview of new england clam chowder i make.

Clams (little necks and top necks)from the local bay, dug by me or my dad from scotts beach, a big sand bar right by jones inlet on the south shore of long island. At high tide, this bar is covered by four feet of pure salt water from the ocean...they happen to be some of the best clams around.

steam and dice clams, save steamed juice.

steam in a deep pot, like two inches of water, or beer...make sure they are open and steamed to point where the whole clam falls out of the shell. I usually stir the bottom clams up and are removing the the opened clams with tongs, putting them in the sink. Then pulling the clams out of the shells, in a bowl and then sitting down with some music and dicing the clams...can be time consuming, usually atleast an hour, but i'm talking about a 6 gallon bucket full of little necks/top necks.

Clam juice. Pour clam juice into a bowl, leaving the bottom amount of juice with silt/sand in it, in the pot and discarding that.

Add clam juice to a pot and keep it boiling low, until you add the rest of ingredients.

peal and dice potatoes, about 6-8 depending on size

put potatoes in the boiling clam juice, cook for 10-15 minutes while you prep the other stuff.

adjust the heat alittle higher, you want to cook the potatoes.

dice three or four onions, depends on size of onions

add them to the pot

celery and garlic

fry a half a package of bacon, dice and add to pot

oh yeah, sorry, i fry the onions, celery and garlic in some of the bacon fat...then add to pot.

save some of the bacon fat.

add a stick of butter to the pot, or half a stick, depending on how many clams your working with.

add about two quart of heavy cream, or a quart and a pint...depends on how many clams you have, it cant be too creamy otherwise you wont taste the clam flavor. But its got to be thick enough to be a chowder. Mine is usually brothy, because i use a lot of clams and juice. But if your buying them at five dollars a dozen, then you have to make sure you dont overdo the heavy cream.

add some of the bacon fat too.

add the diced up clams and cook on low heat boil for another 20-25-30 minutes.

with clams, you either under cook them or cook them well, otherwise there is this in between rubberyness with them. like with linguini and clam sauce, you can open them up raw and throw them into the sautee at the end, for like 3-4 minutes and their good. If you were to use canned clams, which i wouldnt reccomend, but you should buy atleast a quart of clam juice as well and cut back on the cream and butter. You might only find quarts of clam juice at fish markets, not supermarkets...so while your there just buy some fresh clams and canned clams and clam juice as well. The juice is the most important thing in flavoring the whole pot of chowder. If your buying clams, then you can go with the cherry stones or chowder clams, the larger clams. They are cheaper, you can also cut the bellys out of the bigger clams, but with the smaller clams you doesnt really matter.

some recipes add some thyme or rosrmary, but with super fresh clams...there is no need.

Keep it simple.

Two bowls of this is a meal...its heavy heavy soup.

maybe some good bread toasted, or add some crackers....thats it!

A quick overview of new england clam chowder i make.

Clams (little necks and top necks)from the local bay, dug by me or my dad from scotts beach, a big sand bar right by jones inlet on the south shore of long island. At high tide, this bar is covered by four feet of pure salt water from the ocean...they happen to be some of the best clams around.

steam and dice clams, save steamed juice.

steam in a deep pot, like two inches of water, or beer...make sure they are open and steamed to point where the whole clam falls out of the shell. I usually stir the bottom clams up and are removing the the opened clams with tongs, putting them in the sink. Then pulling the clams out of the shells, in a bowl and then sitting down with some music and dicing the clams...can be time consuming, usually atleast an hour, but i'm talking about a 6 gallon bucket full of little necks/top necks.

Clam juice. Pour clam juice into a bowl, leaving the bottom amount of juice with silt/sand in it, in the pot and discarding that.

Add clam juice to a pot and keep it boiling low, until you add the rest of ingredients.

peal and dice potatoes, about 6-8 depending on size

put potatoes in the boiling clam juice, cook for 10-15 minutes while you prep the other stuff.

adjust the heat alittle higher, you want to cook the potatoes.

dice three or four onions, depends on size of onions

add them to the pot

celery and garlic

fry a half a package of bacon, dice and add to pot

oh yeah, sorry, i fry the onions, celery and garlic in some of the bacon fat...then add to pot.

save some of the bacon fat.

add a stick of butter to the pot, or half a stick, depending on how many clams your working with.

add about two quart of heavy cream, or a quart and a pint...depends on how many clams you have, it cant be too creamy otherwise you wont taste the clam flavor. But its got to be thick enough to be a chowder. Mine is usually brothy, because i use a lot of clams and juice. But if your buying them at five dollars a dozen, then you have to make sure you dont overdo the heavy cream.

add some of the bacon fat too.

add the diced up clams and cook on low heat boil for another 20-25-30 minutes.

with clams, you either under cook them or cook them well, otherwise there is this in between rubberyness with them. like with linguini and clam sauce, you can open them up raw and throw them into the sautee at the end, for like 3-4 minutes and their good. If you were to use canned clams, which i wouldnt reccomend, but you should buy atleast a quart of clam juice as well and cut back on the cream and butter. You might only find quarts of clam juice at fish markets, not supermarkets...so while your there just buy some fresh clams and canned clams and clam juice as well. The juice is the most important thing in flavoring the whole pot of chowder. If your buying clams, then you can go with the cherry stones or chowder clams, the larger clams. They are cheaper, you can also cut the bellys out of the bigger clams, but with the smaller clams you doesnt really matter.

some recipes add some thyme or rosrmary, but with super fresh clams...there is no need.

Keep it simple.

Two bowls of this is a meal...its heavy heavy soup.

maybe some good bread toasted, or add some crackers....thats it!

Wow! I think this is yummy but it has a lot of work to do.. Oh well, got to try this :rolleyes:

-1 package ramen noodle

-water in a pot

-boiled water

-cook ramen for 15 minutes

15 minutes? What do you cook it over? A lighter?

I put my stove on high, get the water boiling (takes maybe 5 minutes, though most likely way less), turn it down to medium, put in the noodles, and cook for 3 minutes. Then I take the pan off the heat, put in the flavoring, and let it cool.

I have to admit I like to wait until about half of the water has been sucked out by the noodles, but that's just me...

But 15 minutes to cook? Uh... try reading the package sometime... :D

ETA: My first recipe... something I kinda came up with while experiementing...

You will need:

-1 bag of boneless chicken breast tenders, frozen

-Bangkok Padang Peanut Sauce

-Naturally Fresh Ginger Dressing

-Wasabi Teriyaki Sauce (I bought it at Costco)

About 3 or 4 hours before dinner, take out the chicken. Hold each piece under lukewarm running water for 30 seconds to a minute to remove the protective ice glaze on each piece of chicken (this makes it easier for the chicken to marinate), and line each one in a pan with large sides (for marinating). Do NOT throw away the bag the tenders came in, as you will need the directions on it later. Once that is finished, take 1 TBSP of peanut sauce. Using your finger, rub just a small bit of peanut sauce onto each tender. Repeat this process with the ginger dressing, but use a little more ginger dressing on each tender.

Now, take the Wasabi Teriyaki sauce and pour that into the pan until the chicken is just completely covered. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the fridge.

When it comes time to cook your dinner (about 3 to 4 hours later), remove the pan from the fridge, and cook the marinated chicken, still in the sauce, per the oven directions on the bag the chicken came with (now you see why I said not to throw that bag away).

When finished, serve any way you feel (as sandwiches, on a bed of Asian salad [you can use the ginger dressing as dressing for the salad], or any other way you please).

For those who do not like spicy, this is not a spicy meal. In fact, it is somewhat sweet. The ginger dressing counteracts the spiciness of the peanut sauce, and the Wasabi Teriyaki sauce, despite its name, is sweet, as Teriyaki is the dominant flavor in the sauce, and the Wasabi flavor is more of a compliment or after-thought.

If you want spicy, add extra Wasabi or peanut sauce on the salad or sandwich or however you choose to present/serve the chicken after it's cooked.

I served this as an Asian Salad, and I mixed ginger dressing and the sauce in the pan as the dressing for the salad. I added on wasabi and peanut sauce as an after-thought to make it spicier for me specifically. It's all to your tastes, of course.

Enjoy!

Edited by Nathan

Best way to cook a steak at home, and get an awesome restaurant-style steak...

Get the nicest cut of steak you can afford (NY Strip, Ribeye, even Sirloin works pretty well). Brush each side with olive oil and salt/pepper heavily. Heat up a cast-iron skillet, either on stove or grill-side burner. Cooking steak on skillet will create a lot of smoke, so I do it on the grill side-burner. When skillet is piping hot, throw steak on there. It'll sizzle like hell, but don't touch it! Let cook for 3-4 minutes, then turn over. The cooked side will have a nice brown crust. Let 2nd side cook another 3-4 minutes. Put pat of butter over steak. Then transfer skillet with steak either to oven (350 degrees) or inside of pre-heated grill and let cook in there for another 5 minutes or so. The pat of butter will melt over the steak, and combine with the juices in the pan and make a nice carmalized sauce.

Enjoy!

1. Chocolate Honey

Ingredients

¾ cup clover or orange blossom honey

2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preparation

Heat ¾ cup clover or orange blossom honey and 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate in the top half of a double broiler over medium-low heat. Use a rubber spatula to stir the mixture constantly until the chocolate is melted and thoroughly incorporated with the honey.

If you do not have a double boiler, you can use a microwave oven. Heat 2 ounces of chopped unsweetened baking chocolate in a small glass bowl in a microwave oven set at medium power for 1½ minutes. After removing the chocolate from the microwave oven, add ¾ cup honey; then use a rubber spatula to stir until the chocolate is melted and thoroughly incorporated with the honey.

Transfer the Chocolate Honey to a small plastic container. Set it aside to cool at room temperature; the cover and store at an air-conditioned room temperature for several days.

This Chocolate Honey may be used for both sweet and savory recipes that will profit from the flavor enhancement of chocolate and honey. Use it, in the quantity that is specified, in a recipe calling for honey, or experiment by using it as you would a seasoning.

Single-flower honey, such as lavender, although uniquely flavorsome, would not find synergy with unsweetened chocolate. For that reason, it is recommended that you use a mild-flavored honey such as clover or orange blossom for this recipe.

Keep the Chocolate Honey covered in a noncorrosive container at room temperature for up to a week.

You can also make Chocolate Honey Milk. Heat 1 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of Chocolate Honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. When hot, stir to dissolve the honey. Bring to a simmer; then serve.

2. High Test White Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients

8 Ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped

½ cup half-and-half cream

2¼ cups heavy cream

¾ cup granulated sugar

4 large egg yolks

Preparation

Heat 8 ounces of chopped white chocolate and ½ cup half-and-half cream together in the top half of a double boiler over medium-low heat. Use a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate and cream until completely melted and smooth, 6½ to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.

Heat 2¼ cups heavy cream and ¼ cup of the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil.

While the heavy cream mixture is heating, place the remaining ½ cup of sugar and 4 egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes until thoroughly combined; the use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat on high for an additional 2 minutes until slightly thickened and pale yellow. If at this point the heavy cream mixture has not yet started to boil, adjust the mixer speed to low and continue to mix until it does boil; otherwise, undesirable lumps may form when the boiling cream mixture is added.

Gradually pour the boiling heavy cream mixture into the beaten sugar and egg yolks and mix on low to combine, about 45 seconds. (To avoid splattering the boiling milk mixture, use a pouring shield attachment, or place a towel or plastic wrap over the top of the mixer and down the sides to the bowl.) Return the combined mixture to the saucepan, using a rubber spatula to facilitate transferring all of the mixture from the bowl. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a temperature of 185 degrees Fahrenheit, about 2½ minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large stainless steel bowl. Add the white chocolate and half-and-half cream mixture and stir to combine.

Cool in an ice-water bath to a temperature of 40 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Freeze in an ice cream freezer following the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the semifrozen ice cream to a 2-quart plastic container, securely cover the container, and the freeze for several hours before serving. Serve within three to four days.

This ice cream can be served with any white chocolate dessert. Because of the use of cream and eggs, this ice cream never freezes rock-solid, making it easy to scoop and eat.

3. Warm Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce

Ingredients

1½ cups heavy cream

1⅓ cups granulated sugar

5 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped

2 ounces (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½-ounce pieces

Preparation

Heat 1½ cups of heavy cream, 1⅓ cups of granulated sugar, and 5 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, stir to dissolve the sugar and melt the chocolate. Bring to a boil. Adjust the heat to medium-low, and simmer the mixture for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened and very smooth. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add 2 ounces of butter, one 1/2-ounce piece at a time, stirring to incorporate the butter before adding the next piece. Keep the sauce warm in a double boiler until needed or cool to room temperature; the refrigerate in a tightly sealed plastic container.

You can use this sauce with almost any Death by Chocolate desserts. To reheat refrigerated sauce, place it in the top half of a double boiler over medium-low heat. Stir the sauce frequently while heating until warm and smooth. Keep the sauce in a noncorrosive container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

4. White Chocolate Expresso Sauce

Ingredients

6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped

1 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons instant espresso powder

¼ cup Oblio Caffe sambuca

Preparation

Place 6 ounces of white chocolate in a medium bowl.

Heat 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, stir to dissolve the espresso powder. Bring to a boil. Pour the boiling cream over the chopped white chocolate. Immediately stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool in an ice-water bath to a temperature of 45 or 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Add ¼ cup of Oblio Caffe sambuca. Stir to incorporate. Transfer the chilled sauce to a plastic container. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Serve chilled.

Oblio Caffe sambuca, a product of Italy, gives this sauce an edge. You can omit the liqueur without adversely affecting its texture, but then the sauce would be void of its true burst of flavor. On the other hand, you try other liqueurs like white sambuca, Drambuie, or Tia Maria, in equivalent proportions for strongly and deliciously different tastes.

You should find this sauce very compatible with many desserts, especially white chocolate and/or coffee-flavored cakes. The sauce may be stored in a covered, noncorrosive container in the refrigerator for several days without any diminishment in quality.

Edited by Nathan