The Recipe Thread

Nathan

A well made soup can certainly be fit for a meal, and a treat for guests who normally only eat the canned stuff - but it can be more work than a regular meal. My grandfather made such great Manhattan clam chowder, but the recipe was never passed on.

Here's how I make Chicken Marsala, though:

* Start cooking items #1, 2, and 3 at the same time, and #4 a little later, if able to.

1- Saute 1 coarsely chopped Vidallia onion in a few spoons of olive oil, add a package of sliced white mushrooms after awhile, and a bunch of finely chopped green onions, last. Splash in a few spoons of Marsala cooking wine, once the onions are soft, stir and simmer until slightly browned. Add equal parts chicken stock (canned is fine), Marsala wine (yes, more), and water from the boiled carrots (#2, below). Raise heat slightly, shake in some gravy flour (Wondra is good) to thicken slightly, and stir while simmering, for about 10 minutes.

2- Put a bag of baby peeled carrots in a pot of water, with a dash of salt, boil for a few minutes, then lower heat for about 20 minutes.

3- Mix a cup of flour and a few teaspoons of chopped Marjoram leaves, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on a plate. Dip thinly sliced (or pounded) boneless chicken cutlets in the flour mix, and fry in cooking oil until slightly browned on both sides. Put in covered casserole dish right after cooking, to keep warm.

4- Boil favorite pasta. I like using egg noodles or those little shell shaped ones. Drain and put in another covered casserole dish. Add a few slices of butter on top.

5- Pour onion/mushroom gravy over the chicken in the casserole dish. The carrots can also be added, or served seperately.

Pumpkin pie

Materials

-Drano (easily bought at a local supermarket or anywhere that sells drain uncloggers)

-Aluminum foil (or anything aluminum, but aluminum foil is sufficient)

-A plastic bottle with a cap

-A 500 pound Pumpkin

Step 1: Take the aluminum foil and stuff it into your container of choice. Put a significant amount in, maybe filling it about 1/3 or 1/4 full. Additionally, you can tear the aluminum foil up into smaller pieces instead of crumpling it. This creates more surface area, which makes the reaction go faster.

Step 2: Submerge the aluminum foil with Drano drain unclogger as best you can

Step 3: Put the cap/cork on the bottle

Step 4: Place in carved out pumpkin, with it's lid on.

Step 5: sit and wait.

Pumpkin pie

Materials

-Drano (easily bought at a local supermarket or anywhere that sells drain uncloggers)

-Aluminum foil (or anything aluminum, but aluminum foil is sufficient)

-A plastic bottle with a cap

-A 500 pound Pumpkin

Step 1: Take the aluminum foil and stuff it into your container of choice. Put a significant amount in, maybe filling it about 1/3 or 1/4 full. Additionally, you can tear the aluminum foil up into smaller pieces instead of crumpling it. This creates more surface area, which makes the reaction go faster.

Step 2: Submerge the aluminum foil with Drano drain unclogger as best you can

Step 3: Put the cap/cork on the bottle

Step 4: Place in carved out pumpkin, with it's lid on.

Step 5: sit and wait.

Is that pie for Mr. Jones?

Perfect Pork Chops

Thick cut rib chops, bone in, about 1 1/2 inches thick

Salt and Pepper

A couple Tbsp. Oil

I think olive oil has too low of a smoke point to use in this application. Canola is a better choice for this because of the high heat.

Take meat out of chill chest.

Take the chill off the meat. Let it stand at room temp for 15-30 minutes.

Salt and pepper the chops to your taste.

Warm the pan thoroughly to medium high.

I like to use cast iron.

Let it get screaming hot.

Add the oil to pan, distribute evenly. It'll probably ripple immediately if your pan is nice and hot.

Add the chops, seasoned side down. Do not move the chops!

Season the other side.

Sear side one for about 2 minutes. When it is nice and carmalized, flip and sear side 2.

You will know when it's time to flip when the meat isn't stuck to the bottom of the pan and the chops are nicely browned.

Turn heat down to medium and cook about 6-8 minutes until heated through.

Remove chops from pan. Let them rest about 5 minutes under a bit of loose foil.

Serve

Enjoy

I'm probably making this one again on Sunday for Easter brunch:

Ham and Swiss Rolls

1 lb. shaved ham

Sliced swiss cheese (approx. 6-8 slices)

2 pkgs party rolls (hawaiian works well)

Mix the following well:

1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 stick butter (melted)

1 1/2 Tbsp yellow mustard

1 Tbsp dehydrated onion

Cut rolls in half (bottom/top). Place bottoms in a 9x13" pan coated with cooking spray. Brush a little of the sauce on the rolls. Arrange the ham on the rolls and top with swiss cheese. Put the roll tops back on. Brush rest of sauce over rolls. Cover tightly with foil; bake at 350F for 20-30 min. or until cheese is melted. Cut between rolls to separate, and serve.

Here is one of our favorites; it's super easy:

Taco Dip

1 container low fat or fat free sour cream

1 pkg taco seasoning mix (low sodium)

4 oz shredded low fat cheese (cheddar, mexican blend or jack)

1-2 tomatoes, seeded and finely diced, and drained on paper towels

1 handful of finely chopped onion

shredded lettuce

sliced black olives (optional)

chopped green onion for garnish

Mix sour cream with taco seasoning and chopped (regular) onion. Spread in a 8x8" or similar sized dish. Top with olives if using; then shredded cheese (can use more if needed); then tomato, then lettuce. Sprinkle a few chopped green onions on top. Serve with tortilla chips.

I want to make some pork or chicken adobo. :)

Champagne Dessert

6 bananas

lb frozen strawberries (thaw 'em out)

8 oz. canned pineapple (drained)

8 oz. Philly cream cheese (I use low fat)

1 tub cool whip (low fat)

Dice up all the fruit and mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into 9x12 pan and freeze.

Thaw serving for 30 minutes before eating.

Yummy!

:D

take a large pinch of mary jane and remove stems and seeds, drop into a pre glued rice paper, folded at 1/4 of the length, roll towards the sticky side, lick the glued side, twist both ends, put one end in mouth, light the other end, inhale. hold breath a bit. exhale slowly.. inhale, repeat, untill brain is fully cooked....best done while listening to led zeppelin

Wow! I think this is yummy but it has a lot of work to do.. Oh well, got to try this :rolleyes:

Go for it. You might want to search a few recipes on the computer, for more of a standard measurement/ingredients/cooking time detail. Also, you can do a variation of this and make a fish chowder, with a good local fish. Or you could make a seafood chowder...shrimp, conch, scallops, mussels, crab. Any variation in a chowder will most likely come out good.

Again, if anyone is buying seafood from a fish market, look for clam juice in the quart containers. It can be used to flavor a chowder or soup, but also a seafood marinara sauce as well.

Tres Leache cake or three milk cake.

1-½ cups All-purpose flour

1 teaspoon Baking powder

½ cup Unsalted butter

2 cups White sugar (divided)

5 Eggs

1-½ teaspoon Vanilla extract (divided)

1 cup Milk

½ of a 14-ounce can Sweetened condensed milk

½ of a 12-ounce can Evaporated milk

1/3 cup Liqueur, Frangelico, Brandy or Chambord, for example (optional)

1-½ cups Heavy (whipping) cream

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.

Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

When cake has finished baking, pierce it in 8 or 10 places with a fork or skewer, and let it cool. Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and liqueur and pour over the top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Whipped Cream Topping: When ready to serve, combine the whipping cream and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of sugar, whipping until thick. Spread over top of cake.

Because of the milk in the cake, it is very important that you keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve chilled.

Wasn't this cake featured on The Ultimate Recipe Showdown as a cupcake?

Anyone in the mood for Mexican tonight? I hope so, beacsue you're about to find out how to make the best, easiest, and tastiest Mexican Nacho Dip/Taco Filling there is... mine. :D

So, first, you take a big pan or pot. I always do it in a pan. You turn on the stove and spray the pan with oil. Low-medium to medium is usually the best temperature.

Also, you should go ahead and get your oven heating up to 200-300 for the nachos or Warm (below 200) for the hard/soft shells.

As soon as you've sprayed the pan, put in 1 or 2 (or more) cans of black beans (depending on how much you want to eat and/or how many you're feeding), salsa, mexican spice, sour cream, and shredded cheese. You can also add, if you want, mushrooms, olives, peppers, chili peppers, guacamole... whatever your heart so desires. Add all this right away. Actually, you could even add all this before you turn on the stove, if you want. It wouldn't make a difference.

Now, if you're doing nachos, make sure you have plenty of tortilla or nacho chips. Take shredded cheese, and on an oven pan or one with large sides, make levels like this (starting from bottom of pan up):

1. chips

2. cheese

1. chips

2. cheese

Until you run the possibilty of dropping all the chips and cheese on the floor or use up all the chips. Heat your oven to low (around 200 to 300), put the pan in the oven, and let it stay there until the cheese is melted. As soon as it looks like the cheese is fully melted, take the nachos out immediately, or you'll run the risk of burning them. Nachos are good, but not when they're burnt.

If you're doing tacos/burritos, turn your oven to warm, let it warm up, wrap the soft shells in aluminum foil, place all the shells (soft and hard) on a cookie sheet, and let them warm. Of course, if you like your shells cold or room temperature, you could always just leave 'em out.

Once the dip starts boiling, let it go for about 30 more seconds, and then take it off the heat. Put it in a big bowl, get your nacho and/or hard/soft shells, and put the dip and the nachos/shells on the table.

In small bowls, put any left-over toppings, quacomole, and whatever else you like on your Tacos/Nachos. Now, enjoy!

My mom makes this bow tie pasta where you put bow tie pasta, spagetti sauce, and pepperoni in a casserole dish and bake it. Before you put it in you cover the top with monzerrela cheese. It's really good.

Not to brag either, but I've been told I'm a good baker. Both of my grandma's like my baked stuff more than they do theirs. Baking is more my thing than cooking.

Edited by lzfan715

Going back a few posts on this thread, Virginia mentioned something called "Hawiian rolls". I didn't know what these were, but just saw some in the deli area of the supermarket. Normally, I don't buy already cooked dinner rolls - but these were kinda awesome. A sweet aftertaste, 4 for a buck!

Beef Stew:

about 2-3 lbs of lean stew meat.

dip the small pieces of meat into flour seasoned to taste with salt and pepper

brown the meat carefully in a skillet with canola oil

in a large covered kettle, boil about 12 cups of water

add 12 beef boullion cubes. maybe 8 at first and 4 later.

simmer the meat at a low boil for about 2 hrs

add cooking onions and celery cut up

after about half hour add cut up potatoes and baby carrots

when the potatoes and carrots are soft add a dash of browning sauce (I use Kitchen Bouquet)

cook a little longer and then make a flour and water paste, fairly thick in a container

stir in some of the paste and thicken it the way you want

get a good loaf of bread for dipping. Thats it!!!

Al Copeland dies in Munich, Germany

by John Pope, The Times-Picayune Sunday March 23, 2008, 3:42 PM

Al Copeland, a hard-charging, high-living entrepreneur who built an empire on spicy fried chicken and fluffy white biscuits, died Sunday in Munich, Germany, of complications from cancer treatment. He was 64.

He had gone to Munich for treatment of his illness, which had been diagnosed in November, said Kit Wohl, his spokeswoman.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03...in_germany.html

medium_1989.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Kraft Dinner...

-Buy a box of Kraft Dinner and take it home.

-Heat up the stove and put water in a pot.

-When it's bubbling put the noodles in. (i like it with weiners so put those in too)

-Let it boil until they are soft.

-Take them out and strain them and put back in pot.

-Put lots of cheese on them and then cut up the weiners and throw them in and stir.

-Put it on a plate. Then put lots of ketchup on it.

-Get a fork and start eating it.

I can't cook to save my life so this is what I eat about 3 or 4 times a week for dinner. Kraft Dinner is definately a single guys dinner.

Edited by spats

• 6 months later...

horn.jpg

Halfdan's Viking Mead Recipe

Mead (Honey Wine) - 5 gallon recipe

8-10 lbs pure raw honey (for light, delicate Mead)

(or) 12-13 " " " " (for medium sweet Mead)

(or) 15-16 " " " " (for very sweet or alcoholic Mead)

4-5 gallons purified spring water (not distilled)

3 tsp. yeast nutrient (or 5 tablets)

1 tsp. acid blend (combination malic/citric acid)

5-7 oz. sliced fresh ginger root (1 finger's length)

1/4 tsp. fresh rosemary (optional, as desired)

5-6 whole cloves (optional, as desired)

1-2 vanilla beans (optional, as desired)

cinnamon/nutmeg (optional, as desired)

lime/orange peels (optional, as desired)

crushed fruit (peaches, strawberries, grapes, etc.)

1 tsp. Irish Moss (to clarify Mead)

1/2 tsp. clear gelatin (to clarify Mead)

1 spotted newt's tail (optional, as desired :)

1 packet yeast (champagne or ale yeast)

Heat spring water 10-15 minutes till boiling. Stir in honey, yeast nutrients, acid blend, and spices (rosemary, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon peel). Boil for another 10-15 minutes, (overcooking removes too much honey flavor), skimming off foam as needed (2 to 3 times during last 15 minutes). After 15 minutes, add Irish Moss or clear gelatin to clarify. After last skimming, turn off heat, add crushed fruit, and let steep 15-30 minutes while allowing mead to cool and clarify. After mead begins to clear, strain off fruit with hand skimmer and pour mead through strainer funnel into 5 gallon glass carboy jug.

Let cool to room temperature about 24 hours. After 24 hours, warm up 1 cup of mead in microwave, stir in 1 packet "Red Star" Champagne, Montrechet, or Epernet yeast (or Ale yeast in order to make mead ale), and let sit for 5-15 minutes to allow yeast to begin to work. Add this mead/yeast mixture to carboy jug and swirl around to aerate, thereby adding oxygen to mead/yeast mixture.

Place run-off tube in stopper of bottle, with other end of tube in large bowl or bottle to capture "blow-off" froth. Let mead sit undisturbed 7 days in cool, dark area. After initial violent fermenting slows down and mead begins to settle, rack off (siphon off) good mead into clean sterilized jug, leaving all sediment in bottom of first jug. Attach airlock to this secondary carboy. After 4-6 months, mead will clear. During this time, if more sediment forms on bottom, good mead can be racked off again to another clean sterilized jug.

When bottling, in order to add carbonation, add either 1/4 tsp. white table sugar per 12 oz bottle, or stir in 1/2 to 1 lb raw honey per 5 gallons mead (by first dissolving honey with a small amount of mead or pure water in microwave).

I love to cook. Cooking is such a cool thing to do. And yes, guys can cook. There's nothing wrong with it. It's best when there's not that much straightforward food in the house, because then you really have to get creative, and that's a lot of fun.

As a cook, I like to collect recipes, and I like to share mine. I thought it'd be cool if we had a thread specifically for the cooks and/or adventurists out there who want to try something new in the way of food.

So post your breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snack, and/or drink recipes here for the rest of us.

I'll start adding my own recipes, but not until I see some posts in this thread, like, say, a page or so. So share the good stuff, folks.

Please? :(:mellow::D

WHAT TIME IS DINNER? :D I will bring the wine!