The Recipe Thread

Nathan

I have a great drink recipe for Scarlet Margaritas from Southern Living. Named in honor of Jimmy's daughter. j/k

4 cups crushed ice

1 cup pomegranate juice

1/2 cup tequila

1/2 cup orange liqueur

1 tablespoon lime juice

4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (1/2 fresh pomegranate) (optional)

lime wedges

coarse salt

garnish - lime slices

Process first 5 ingredients, and, if desired, pomegranate seeds in a blender 30 seconds or until frothy. Rub rims of 6 glasses* with lime wedges; dip in salt to coat. Pour margarita evenly into prepared glasses. (I like to chill my glasses for several minutes in the freezer first.) Garnish if desired.

*Or if you're like me, you can drink the contents of the whole blender, so only one glass is required!

Will def try the Scarlet Margaritas...

Here's something for the upcoming holiday (here in the States):

http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Stuffed-Turkey-Breast

Stuffed Turkey Breast (Another Way To Serve Turkey)

SERVES 4 – 6

1 12-lb. turkey breast, skin-on

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

2–3 cups prepared Bread Stuffing

2 tbsp. canola oil

4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

1. Place the whole, turkey breast skin side down between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound breast to a 1⁄2" thickness. Discard plastic wrap. Season breast all over with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange breast so that long sides are parallel to you.

2. Mound stuffing along center of breast, from short end to short end. Fold one long end of the breast over stuffing; roll forward to make a tight cylinder; tuck in ends. Tie breast with kitchen twine at 1" intervals to secure.

3. Heat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a 12" ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brown turkey on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven; cook, basting with butter, until an instant-read thermometer reads 155°, about 45 minutes. Transfer turkey to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. Remove twine; slice.

White Asparagus Soup

SERVES 6

Our version of this traditional German soup comes from Hans Röckenwagner, a longtime Los Angeles chef and restaurateur.

1 lb. fresh white asparagus

2 tbsp. sugar

Salt

12 tbsp. butter

4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

12 tbsp. flour

1 cup heavy cream

1. Bring 12 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Meanwhile, trim about 1/2'' from the ends of the asparagus. Lay spears on a work surface, then peel thin skin from each with a sharp swivel-blade vegetable peeler, starting 1 1/2'' from the top and running the length of the spear. (Spears are brittle and can snap when peeled in midair.) Reserve peels. Gather spears into 2 bundles and tie loosely with kitchen string.

2. When water in pot comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Add the reserved peels, sugar, 2 generous pinches of salt, 3 tbsp. of the butter, and 3 tbsp. of the lemon juice. Return to a simmer, then add asparagus and cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 8-30 minutes, depending on thickness of asparagus. Remove asparagus from pot and drain on paper towels, then set aside. Increase heat to medium-high and reduce stock by one-third, about 30 minutes. Strain stock and keep hot over low heat.

3. Melt the remaining 9 tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes. Do not allow flour to brown (it will color soup). Whisk in hot asparagus stock 1 cup at a time and continue whisking until smooth. Simmer soup, stirring often, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Add cream and continue simmering for 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and a little more lemon juice, if you like.

4. Untie asparagus bundles, then cut spears into 1'' lengths and add to soup. Simmer for 1 minute more. Adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with spicy cress, if you like.

This recipe was first published in Saveur in Issue #42

http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/White-Asparagus-Soup

Beef Stew:

about 2-3 lbs of lean stew meat.

dip the small pieces of meat into flour seasoned to taste with salt and pepper

brown the meat carefully in a skillet with canola oil

in a large covered kettle, boil about 12 cups of water

add 12 beef boullion cubes. maybe 8 at first and 4 later.

simmer the meat at a low boil for about 2 hrs

add cooking onions and celery cut up

after about half hour add cut up potatoes and baby carrots

when the potatoes and carrots are soft add a dash of browning sauce (I use Kitchen Bouquet)

cook a little longer and then make a flour and water paste, fairly thick in a container

stir in some of the paste and thicken it the way you want

get a good loaf of bread for dipping. Thats it!!!

Made it last night and it came out great! Thanks ledzeppIV!

My mom gave me this recipe. I've never made it, but she does all of the time and it's delicious!!! Great soup and salad weekend lunch!

Zuppa Toscana Soup like Olive Garden's®

Submitted By : ************

Serves : 12

Prep Time: 0:35

1 lb. spicy Italian sausage - crumbled

1/2 lb. smoked bacon - chopped

1 qt. water

(2) 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth

2 lg. russet potatoes - cubed

2 garlic cloves - crushed

1 med. onion - chopped

2 cups chopped kale OR Swiss chard

1 cup heavy whipping cream

salt and pepper - to taste

-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.

-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.

-Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.

-Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.

-Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.

Notes : I am currently on a low-carb diet and I have substituted cauliflower in place of the potatoes and you can't even tell the difference.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Original recipe yield: 6 servings.

3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli

3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

6 tablespoons margarine

1 onion, chopped

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

1 1/2 pounds processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta), cubed

1 pinch ground white pepper

DIRECTIONS:

In a large pot over medium heat, simmer the broccoli in the broth for 15 minutes. In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine, add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, or to desired tenderness.

Add the flour to the onions and stir well, forming a pasty substance. Gradually add the milk and stir until thick. Add this mixture to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well. Then add the cheese, stirring until melted. Finally, add the pepper. (Note: Be careful not to let the soup boil, or the cheese will break down.)

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups butter 1 tsp salt

2 cups sugar 2 tsp baking powder

2 cups brown sugar 2 tsp soda

4 eggs 4 oz chocolate chips

4 cups flour 1-8oz Hershey bar, grated

2 tsp vanilla 3 cups chopped nuts

5 cups blended oatmeal*

Cream the butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal*, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts.

Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 375. Makes 112 cookies

*measure oatmeal and blend in a blender into a fine powder, but I have never done this

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go for a rack of lamb, which can be done on the grill so there's no cleanup. I marinate it in sherry with garlic and rosemary rubbed all over it. The fatty juices cause alot of flare-ups - but I love the burnt outside, and the inside is always still pink and tender.

Ham is good, if it's got lots of pineapples on it. I make a sauce with orange juice, honey, brown sugar, and Grand Marnier liquor, and brush it all over. The pineapples that fall into the bottom of the pan and get all gooeyed up with the sauce are the best part!

Hmm. Interesting. Ill have to tell my wife as she is a hamaholic. Im a Turkoconis. But Ill have Lamb with mint jelly perhaps on Xmas. I may give that a whirl. What is Grand Marnier? Is is a liquer? I have heard of it often but have never had it?

I believe it's a cognac, and slightly orange flavored. There's a cream one, too - don't get that. And my sauce concoction can burn if you cook the ham for a long time. I cook the ham at low temperature, and put the pineapples and sauce on it about halfway through. Some shallow criss-cross cuts before cooking allow the sauce to sink in - I press cloves in, too. I used to hate ham, because many people cook it with mustard rubbed on the outside.

Grand Marnier (gʀã maʀnje) is a liqueur created in 1880 by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle. It is a kind of triple sec, made from a blend of true cognacs and distilled essence of bitter orange. Grand Marnier is 40% alcohol (80 proof). It is produced in several varieties, most of which can be consumed "neat" as a digestif and can be used in mixed drinks and desserts. Took off from Wikepedia. I use Grand Marnier when making chocolate mousse and chocolate truffles.

Ham is good, if it's got lots of pineapples on it. I make a sauce with orange juice, honey, brown sugar, and Grand Marnier liquor, and brush it all over. The pineapples that fall into the bottom of the pan and get all gooeyed up with the sauce are the best part!

Wow; that sounds good!!

JUST got this one of msn.com:

Recipe courtesy of The Martha Stewart Show

Martha Stewart’s Sugar Cookies

Makes about 2 dozen 4-inch cookies

INGREDIENTS

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.

2. Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Divide dough in half; flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Let one disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to just under 1/4 inch thick, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Cut out cookies with a 4-to-5-inch cookie cutter, transferring shapes to parchment paper-lined baking sheets as you work. Roll out scraps, and repeat. Repeat with remaining disk of dough. Chill cookies in freezer until very firm, about 15 minutes.

4. Bake, switching positions of sheets and rotating halfway through, until edges turn golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Decorate as desired.

opc1.jpg

Chocolate-Dipped Orange Peel Cookies

1/2 lb. butter, softened

1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt (heaping for 8500 ft.)

1 cup candied orange peel, chopped

1 orange, zest of

1 tbsp orange juice

1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

opc3.jpg

Oven: 325°F (or for 8500 ft. preheat to 350°F and reduce to 325°F right as you put the cookies into the oven).

Beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Beat in the salt and flour until large clumps form. Add orange peel, zest, juice, and vanilla. Mix well and press the dough into a tight ball. Shape according to how you want your slices to come out (rectangles, squares, rounds, wedges), wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Slice the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and place on cookie sheet with enough space between for spreading.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden (for 8500 ft. bake 20 minutes). Let cool completely on cooling racks. Melt chocolate gently (temper it if you will, but I am too lazy). Dip cooled cookies in chocolate or drizzle with chocolate and let cool until chocolate sets.

opc10.jpg

My belly looks like I'm 9 months preggers\

Edited by Mary Hartman

For the Chocolate Lovers:

Million Dollar Fudge

4 1/2 cups sugar

Pinch salt

2 tablespoons butter - Not Oleo

1 tall can evaporated milk

Still the ingredients above in a large sauce pan, heat medium stirring constantly and boil rapidly for 6 minutes. Pour boiling syrup into large bowl, over the following ingredients:

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bits (I use Ghirardelli chocolate)

12 oz German Sweet chocolate ( I normally cut the chocolate bars into pieces)

1 pint Marshmallow Cream

2 cups walnuts (optional)

Beat until all chocolate is melted. (Looks like frosting)

Pour into shallow pan (9x13) and let set several hours before cutting.

Makes a lot of fudge but very good for the soul.

Caramel/Turtle Brownies

1 14-oz bag caramels, unwrapped

½ + 1/3 C evaporated milk

1 box German chocolate cake mix

¾ C melted butter

1 C chopped walnuts

1 C semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13” pan with Pam. Combine cake mix, butter, 1/3C evap milk and nuts. Spread half the mixture in the bottom of pan. Bake 8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine caramels and 1/2C milk in double boiler, cook on low until melted/smooth, stirring often.

Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked brownie. Drizzle caramel mixture over the chocolate chips. Spoon remaining batter over the caramel and gently spread. Bake 18-20 more minutes. Cool completely before serving.

It's good to see this thread pick back up. I have some more recipes coming up, so look for 'em!

And PennyLany:

Is this for Dark Chocolate fudge or regular fudge? If regular, how would I make it a dark chocolate fudge?

For the Chocolate Lovers:

Million Dollar Fudge

4 1/2 cups sugar

Pinch salt

2 tablespoons butter - Not Oleo

1 tall can evaporated milk

Still the ingredients above in a large sauce pan, heat medium stirring constantly and boil rapidly for 6 minutes. Pour boiling syrup into large bowl, over the following ingredients:

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bits (I use Ghirardelli chocolate)

12 oz German Sweet chocolate ( I normally cut the chocolate bars into pieces)

1 pint Marshmallow Cream

2 cups walnuts (optional)

Beat until all chocolate is melted. (Looks like frosting)

Pour into shallow pan (9x13) and let set several hours before cutting.

Makes a lot of fudge but very good for the soul.

It's good to see this thread pick back up. I have some more recipes coming up, so look for 'em!

And PennyLany:

Is this for Dark Chocolate fudge or regular fudge? If regular, how would I make it a dark chocolate fudge?

I never tried it with Dark Chocolate. You could substitute the semi-sweet to dark chocolate, but not sure about the german chocolate taste with dark chocolate. You will need to use the 24 oz of chocolate. This recipe is rich and sweet when using the semi and german chocolate bars in the recipe. Next year, I will try it with Dark Chocolate. Normally, I eat bittersweet chocolate, but as you know with baking everything has to measure to the tee or it doesn't turn out. I use bittersweet chocolate bars when making mousse or truffles, since bittersweet is true to the chocolate taste.

I am in the middle of baking lemon cookies. Let me know how it turns out with dark chocolate.

I'll let you know how it turns out, Penny. This'll be a fun experiment.

Guess what, everyone? You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy Challah. It's egg bread (for the one person who doesn't know), and when made correctly is one of the best-tasting breads in the world! It can also make some of the best French Toast ever. I have two versions of this Challah recipe. One assumes you have a 1.5-pound-loaf breadmaker, one assumes you don't. So here is "Cool Cats Challah":

with 1.5-pound-loaf breadmaker

without breadmkaer

general directions

Ingredients:

Dry Yeast - 3 teaspoons - 4.5 teaspoons

Warm Water - 1 cup - 2 cups, divided

Sugar - .5 cups - .5 cups

Flour (preferably bread flour) - 4 cups - 6 to 7 cups

Salt - 2 teaspoons - 1 teaspoon

Oil - .5 cups - .5 cups

Eggs (warmed to room temperature) - 2 - 2

In breadmaker, combine all ingredients, then set breadmaker to dough and let run. Once the dough is made, skip down to general directions.

If you don't have a breadmaker, combine yeast with .5 cups of the water and about 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a small bowl. Let the yeast activate for a few minutes. Meanwhile, combine the remaining sugar with 4 cups of the flour and the salt in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining 1.5 cups of water, oil, eggs, and yeast mixture. Stir until well combined. Add some of the remaining 2-3 cups of flour with a spoon until the dough is firm and not too sticky.

Knead the now-made dough on a floured surface, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking, until the dough is smooth (about 8 to 10 minutes). At this point, the dough can be placed in a large oiled bowl, covered with a lid or plastic wrap, and placed in the refigerator overnight.

The next day, remove the dough from the bowl, punch it down, and split into two halves. Now, take one half, split into three pieces (as equal as possible), roll those three pieces into "snakes," pinch down the ends, and begin to braid the three pieces together. Place this onto a greased baking sheet, then do the same with the second half, placing that on either the same baking sheet (if there's room) or another one (I personally find it easier to do the braiding right on the greased baking sheet because this way you don't have to worry about messing up the braid trying to transfer it to the baking sheet, but you can do it whichever way you want).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the loaves for 30-40 minutes, tenting them with foil if they brown too quickly.

These are best served warm (NOT HOT!). Enjoy.

Edited by Nathan